Start by marking “A Hundred Summers” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  30,678 ratings  ·  2,906 reviews
Memorial Day, 1938: New York socialite Lily Dane has just returned with her family to the idyllic oceanfront community of Seaview, Rhode Island, expecting another placid summer season among the familiar traditions and friendships that sustained her after heartbreak.

That is, until the Greenwalds decide to take up residence in Seaview.

Nick and Budgie Greenwald are an unwelc
Published May 30th 2013 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about A Hundred Summers, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Pam Greenwood
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
JudiAnne Keep on reading. It is all explained in the end!

·  30,678 ratings  ·  2,906 reviews

Kelly
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Courtney
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book. It is admittedly a little sappy, schmaltzy, and a little contrived, but it is also a fantastic beach read for those of us who love the 1930's. It felt like my favorite old black and white movies, and I would love to see this made into a movie. Great read.
-Bookish Gal-
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to -Bookish Gal- by: Goodreads
Sabrina
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
The cover of A Hundred Summers immediately reminded me of Tigers in Red Weather, a book that both made me cringe and feverishly read to the end. The descriptions sounded relatively similar too, and so I was in no particular hurry to get started on this one. After having it in my purse for a few days, I finally picked it up on the subway ride home and was transfixed. For the first time, in a long time, I was savouring the taste of the words on my tongue rather than racing to the finish line. Ther ...more
Jan
Oct 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
The more I think about “A Hundred Summers,” the snarkier I get.

Some questions:

What was the real attraction between Lily and Nick? Why ever were Lily and Budgie best friends? Could there be a more gullible person than Lily? Why did 5-year-old Kiki speak like an adolescent? Why was the character whose secrets caused untold heartache a total cipher? Why did gossipy Aunt Julie keep her mouth shut when it really counted? What was with all the smoking and drinking? And Nick’s “piratical” eyes? Wasn’t
Christina
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

Another great historical fiction by Beatriz Williams. Though set in some of the same time period as Along the Infinite Sea ( my first novel by her that I read a couple of weeks ago ) it covers a completely different place and a different occurrence in history. This covered the great New England hurricane of 1938, set in the fictional oceanfront community of Seaview, Rhode Island.

Summer 1938 : Lily Dane has just returned to Seaview with her family expecting another placid summer season
Sherri Thacker
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love books dated back in the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s etc and this one really made me feel like I was back in the 30’s. Loved this from beginning to end. Highly recommend!!
☮Karen
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This was the first book I've read by Beatriz Williams and I thought it was pretty good. She threw in some interesting twists and zingers here and there, even though for the most part those twists didn't surprise me. The 1930's and the characters were described well. I do have to mention that it seemed that all the characters were either chain smokers or borderline alcoholics,or both, but then it was the time of Prohibition after all. Picking up a drink or lighting another cigarette seemed to be ...more
Dianne
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Was OK - to be fair, this is not my type of book. It started out in a very promising fashion but got increasingly over the top and melodramatic as it went on. The men's dialogue is SUPER cheesy; this might have been a record number of eye rolls for me. (Well, maybe not....I forgot about the one Nicholas Sparks book I read.)

On the up side, some interesting 1930's atmosphere and some memorable characters. I especially liked flamboyant and flirtatious Aunt Julie and stoic Mrs. Hubert.

Just a little
Patty
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By
Beatriz Williams

My"in a nutshell" summary...

An oceanfront community, a scandal, secrets and the scorching summer sun...OMG...this has the ingredients for an amazing summer book!

My thoughts after reading this book...

It certainly does not take long to totally fall in love with this book. I loved Lily from the start and was totally suspicious of Budgie immediately. A book is always fun when there is a sort of obnoxious bad girl who is overpowering the more quiet lovely girl...no
Camie
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of people are calling this a good " beach " or " summer read" and I agree. Set in the 1930's on the Rhode Island coast, it is a romance with lots of twists and turns and a glimpse of high society at a time when everything seemed to be a scandal. I liked the main characters Nick, Lily , and even Budgie (who gets to be the one we're not supposed to like) . It was an interesting time period , and I kept thinking of my grandmother who was part of this generation when women's lives were so diffe ...more
Celia
Beatriz Williams loves to write historical fiction and I love to read it.

The historical event of this book, A Hundred Summers, centers on The Great Hurricane of 1938, which roared into Rhode Island on September 21, 1938. Hurricanes in the North East have a 1% chance of occurring each year, averaging once every hundred summers. The weather though, knows nothing of statistics... Hurricane Sandy struck less than 100 years later, in 2012.

The 'heroine' of this book is Lily Dane. Her best friend is Bu
JudiAnne
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure and simple this is a gripping love story that spans nearly a decade in the lives of Lily, Nick and Budgie. Lily has come to Seaview, Rhode Island where her socialite family have a summer home. She plans to relax and spend time getting over the difficult breakup with her fiancé, Nick. Budgie, Lily’s best friend suddenly appears with Nick and surprisingly they are married (gasp), which sends Lily into a heartbreak like she has never known before because she knows that she still loves him. The ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I've spent a lot of time lately going through Beatriz Williams books. Luckily did I have a lot of them available as audiobooks. Like this one. It's a pure joy listening to Williams books.

In A Hundred Summers are we introduced to Lily Dane who has returned to the summerhouse at Seaview, Rhode Island. However, her peaceful summer is interrupted when Nick and Budgie Greenwald arrives. The couple has just married and they are there to restore Budgie's family's old house. Lily and Budgie used to be
Angie
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!!!

I was enchanted by this book pretty much within the first page, and I wasn't expecting that! I loved the character of Lily, she's an identifiable personality. And Nick. Oh Nick. Loved them together. What a crazy ride of a love story.

I loved the way it alternated chapters with time periods, giving you a little bit of the puzzle at a time. The slow reveal of the "true" story was great and I built up so much anticipation. Truly I just got emotionally involved in this story and couldn't
Jessica Jeffers
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I don't know about you, but I rarely have truly visceral reactions to books. I obviously love reading and get really excited about them sometimes, but I can't remember the last time that I was so thrown by a plot twist that I've reared back in my chair, shouted creative expletives, and slapped something.

I got to a certain point in A Hundred Summers, though, and that's exactly what happened. I had to slap something.

(view spoiler)

Wh
Tonya
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really love Beatriz Williams' books. I was sucked into this one from the first page. Extremely well written. I read it all in one sitting. This is a perfect summer beach read. Too bad I'm too impatient to wait for our August vacation.
Karen
Aug 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Bad. Awful. Resist your urge to identify this book as your 2013 beach read and just walk away. Terrible, impatient character development. You can't even begin to figure out why the two, main female characters - Lily and Budgie - ever became friends, much less had a conversation. Contrived plot developments. I read "Tigers in Red Weather" last summer and was looking for something similar for August - this ain't it. I left this book on the shelf at a vacation house we rented - and felt b ...more
Leanne
Mindlessly enjoyable as I was reading it, but unbearably cheesy and melodramatic at points. And normally I wouldn't mind that if the story was juicy enough, but the insta-love and black and white characters (Lily and Nick are essentially perfect and Budgie and Graham are eeeevil - what happened to shades of grey?) took the annoyance factor up a notch.
Claire
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This was entertaining, but a bit melodramatic. I liked the setting - 1930s New York and Rhode Island - and the love story was romantic and believable. It veered a bit into soap opera at times, though, so I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
Amy
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just like Overseas, Beatrice's debut novel, A Hundred Summers was extremely difficult to put down right from the start. The story goes back and forth between 1931 and 1938, each chapter alternating between the two. In 1931 Lily and Budgie are best friends in college, where Lily meets and falls in-love with Nick. In the summer of 1938 Lily returns to her family's summer vacation home in Seaview, Rhode Island, with her sister Kiki, and Budgie comes with her husband Nick...yes, Lily's old boyfriend ...more
Susan Crowe
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The word cigarette(s) appears 131 times in this book. I've never seen so much drinking and smoking in all my life! Even pregnant women.
Awesome book though. There were times that I absolutely could not put this book down.
Highly recommended!!!
Cristina
May 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
The writing is so bad, it's comical.
Bookworm
A Hundred Summers was a deliciously decadent summer indulgence! What could be better than reading about beaches, duplicitous friendships and summer romance in the heart of August??? It was wonderful to just kick my legs up and throw myself into this robust women’s historical fiction.

The story alternates between two timelines. 1932 = Lily and Budgie, wealthy socialites and childhood friends, are in college hooking up with a couple of boys from the Dartmouth football team. Budgie has her sights o
Pam
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Donna
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first novel by this author and I found myself completely immersed into it. This was historical fiction based in the 1930's. This is an era that I love to read about, so it was easy to be pulled into this. The author did a great job at creating the setting, especially with the dialogue, but also with the mind set. The romance was a large part of this book, but it was more in a 'star crossed lovers' way. There were also some great twists woven in. So 4 stars.
Alexa
Buddy read with Kristin!

3.5 stars! I’m pretty happy to report that I enjoyed my first Beatriz Williams novel. Her use of dual timelines, paired with engaging characters, really worked for me, particularly as the plot thickened with each chapter. While I did guess at major plot points, and while I do think it gets a bit outrageous, it was still enjoyable and I do intend to read more of her work.
Toni
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Decent enough for a beach read. More like a soap opera in a book. Most interesting bit of info was reference to the very real Great Hurricane of 1938, that came upon New England without warning. (No Doppler Radar back then.)
The author takes the time to explain more about it after the story ends, and offers several books for further reading or research. Now that, I like. Thank you Ms. Williams, for an enjoyable book, doing your homework, and the extra credit for your readers. much appreciated.

I
Kerry *Soulcaster*
A very generous 2 stars. I wasn't sure if I could finish but I managed to cringe and eye-roll my way to the end. I thought it would be a winner - Kirkus reviews referred to it as being last year's big beach read and claimed that it had "a flavor of Daphne du Maurier." I waited for that flavor but it never appeared. I did enjoy the era (1930's), the setting (a Rhode Island oceanfront community) and the fact that the author managed to integrate the great New England hurricane of 1938 into a minute ...more
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Ashford Affair
  • A Place at the Table
  • Fin & Lady
  • Parlor Games
  • The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.
  • Is This Tomorrow
  • Morning Glory
  • The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
  • The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters, #3)
  • The Lake House
  • Love All
  • Cancel the Wedding
“Your father owns a history company?" I say teasingly.

Nick laughs. "No. Everyone on Wall Street has a history degree, though you'd never know it, the way they keep making the same mistakes, crash after crash.”
9 likes