Start by marking “Whiskey Beach” as Want to Read:
Whiskey Beach

Whiskey Beach

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  34,920 ratings  ·  2,576 reviews
For more than three hundred years, Bluff House has sat above Whiskey Beach, guarding its shore--and its secrets. But to Eli Landon, it's home...
A Boston lawyer, Eli has weathered an intense year of public scrutiny and police investigations after being accused of--but never arrested for--the murder of his soon-to-be-ex wife.
He finds sanctuary at Bluff House, even though h
Published April 16th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey Beach, please sign up.
Veena Rangaswami
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  34,920 ratings  ·  2,576 reviews

Start your review of Whiskey Beach
Candace
'Whiskey Beach' was my first Nora Roberts book ever, believe it or not. I don't know how I've managed to avoid this talented author's work for so long, but shamefully, I have. When I saw this book on the bestsellers lists for such a long time, I got a little curious. I was between audiobooks and nothing on my Audible shelf was calling to me. So, on an impulse, I downloaded 'Whiskey Beach' and started listening. It ended up being a great choice.

The hero, Eli Landon, has returned to his grandmothe
Marjorie Pfister
Apr 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
I only wish I could say this is typical Nora Roberts. This has to be a rehash of earlier work. The story line was...stupid..characters..annoying.. I listened to this on audiobook..and I literally slept through 6 hours of it..and lost nothing..
Abba..haha I wasn't paying attention but if it was a homage to the 70's group..they have more substance than this flaky yoga teaching house cleaner..who works for Eli's grandmother who had a serious fall and can't live in the HUGE OLD MAINE house..list like
Sharon
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
I can't recall the last time I read a book by Nora Roberts, but I know it's been quite a while. And after reading Whiskey Beach which by the way was a fabulous read I said to myself that I mustn't take so long to take another one of her books.

Whiskey Beach was not only written well in my opinion, but it also had twists and turns that kept the reader turning the pages rather quickly wanting to know what would happen next. I normally shy away from what I call "chunky" books (close to 500 or more
Kate
Opening a Nora Roberts book is like stepping into a Thomas Kinkade painting. In Noraland, everyone is privileged, everyone is beautiful (and almost everyone is white. Super!), everyone loves dogs, and children, and babies, and problems are solved by the final chapter. If Thomas Kinkade-ish literature pisses you off, then you won't like Noraland, but for many of us it's a pleasant place to spend a few hours.

Whiskey Beach at first seems like it might slightly warp Nora's usual rules. Abra, our her
Shauni
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me just say.. NORA's BACK.. the last couple of stand alone Nora Roberts books have been good but for me they haven't been Great.. Yeah I know it's Nora of course they are great.. but I expect something undefinable from Nora and missed that in the past few books. Of course that is going to happens when you write as many books as Nora does. Not everyone is going to fall head over heels for every book.. and that's ok. But Whiskey Beach puts Nora back on top with me!!

Eli Landon has had a really
Emily
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book. I really, really wanted to like this book and in the end, I did, but only because it's Nora Roberts. The set up was intriguing - a guy suspected of murdering his soon to be ex wife retreats to a family house on the beach? Yeah, sign me up. Eli Landon was the perfect hero and his growth throughout the course of the book - from a man barely hanging on to sanity to a person who'd rediscovered themselves - was a joy to read.

My main complaint, the thing I really just can'
Mei
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
This is a typical NR romantic suspence! :)
I loved the heroine! Abra is always positive and always look to the good parts of life, even when it's really difficult! I particularely liked how she managed to take Eli from his shell!
I liked the suspence part too even if I knew who was the villain/s since the beginning!
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Oct 2014 Update: This book now has a new narrator so I will reread at some point and update my review :)

3 1/2 Stars

Great storyline and characters. I think the problem for me was that I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was not really into the book he sounds almost bored while reading, which is unfortunate because I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I read the book (or she had a different narrator).
Alex is The Romance Fox
Whiskey Beach. What a great title!!! Just so grabable and just so Nora Roberts. Her book titles are always amazing.

Page 1 and I was back into the warm “arms” of Nora Roberts’s world. Like coming home!!!! You know that there will be a mystery filled with twists and turns, engaging and delightful characters, great dialogue filled with wit and warmth, marvelous settings, passionate hero/heroine and of course a HEA – THIS BOOK HAS IT ALL AND MORE. A treasure hunt, lovable dog, yoga and karma!!!

Eli L
Heller
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-f, romance, contemporary
2.5

A nice story with nice characters. Nothing ground-breaking here. If you're a Nora fan you know what you're getting: semi-alpha males, strong women, some nice banter with a coherent storyline and solid sex scenes.

I'm taking this one down a half-star for the transparent thriller aspect. I'm not expecting to have to put on a Holmesian deerstalker cap to figure things out but still I called the murderer and the intruder really early on in the read.

If you're sitting down and looking for a cozy ro
Aly is so frigging bored
This has to be one of the most boring books I have ever read! Not even my uni books compare to this(and isn't it sad that I'm comparing them?). The hero seems to be whining and the heroin is too fucking sweet! No.
I don't have the patience to read more.
DNF 20%
Somia
Eli Landon had a beautiful wife, a wonderful house, and a fab career as a lawyer, but the image of happiness anyone saw when looking from the outside wasn’t true, and when Eli’s wife is brutally murdered, just after Eli finds out she has been having an affair, he’s the cops prime suspect. Hounded by the cops and media for a year, Eli finally finds sanctuary in Whiskey Beach and his grandmother’s home – Bluff house. And it’s here he finally meets Abra Walsh, who arrives in his life like an unexpe ...more
Erin
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Nora Roberts novel in a while and I hadn't intended on reading Whiskey Beach, I had another Roberts novel in mind....But I just think this novel has a gorgeous cover and I had to read it.

Whiskey Beach is more of a murder mystery than a romance. Its Nora Roberts so of course there's romance but I felt like the romance took a back seat to the wider murder mystery. I kinda feel like I'm being too generous by giving this a 4 star rating because it felt like nothing was happening fo
Brenda Audiobooks Only
UPDATE: Check out this note Melinda received from Audible today. Fabulous news!

"We wanted to let you to know that there is a new version of Nora Roberts' Whiskey Beach available in your Library. Because an overwhelming number of customers were unhappy with the original narrator's performance, the audio publisher decided to re-record Whiskey Beach with a new narrator, Luke Daniels.

If you'd like to listen to the new audio, simply re-download Whiskey Beach from your Library.

We hope you enjoy the n
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Thumbs Up: 3.5
Overall: Interesting
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Old tales of treasure spike fear
Page Turner: Kind of
Series Cont.? N/A
Recommend: No
Book Boyfriend: Eli

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
I actually didn’t like this one and DNF it only to come back. I finished out of curiosity not much more. The who done it became too easy to figure out. But it was still an okay read.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

Since I have read translation, I have a little worth of putting quotes in the review. This is my first Nora Roberts book. I own 2 more translated books on my language but I never had the chance to read them (and I wish to have more, so I would love some suggestions!). And then I recently bought paperback of this one, stunned by it's beautiful cover and it's synopsis that really made me interested in it. Especially after reading Thicker Than Water, similar themed book with
Jacqueline J
This one was sort of different. I know that Nora Roberts is normally shelved in the romance section but this was not a true romance. Most of the story is told from the hero's POV. In fact the few times the POV switches to the heroine it seems intrusive. The romance while there is very easy and low key. There is no tension in the situation at all. These two people meet and are a perfect fit for each other. No trauma no problems just easy peasy. The heroine was not very interesting. She was so per ...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I liked this book okay ... meh ... it was well-written as you'd expect from Nora Roberts, but it was just ordinary. I will forget this within the next day - well, I think I was forgetting it as I was reading it. She just phoned this one in. And the heroine, oh boy, was she annoying. The hero was okay. Just didn't get a feel for either of them, and especially not together. Like he had a choice, she was so pushy he just had to get with her cos she said so, and he was so meh, he just went okaaaay. ...more
Bj
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2016, arc, 4-stars
4 "Proving His Innocence" Stars for the story and narration.

Narration by Luke Daniels

Lovers of romantic suspense titles with strong independent heroines are sure to enjoy Whiskey Beach. Combining an undeniable attraction, with a race against the clock to find a killer, Whiskey Beach will keep you on your toes.

Former lawyer, Eli Landon has had a life altering event. Needing a respite to recover some semblance of normal after his wife is murdered--and the cops begin to take a serious look at him
Nan Williams
Apr 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one - no one at all
This was sure a waste of time. I kept thinking something would happen. I kept thinking that there would be some sort of mystery or suspense. I kept thinking that she would develop some of the little curiosities that she dropped in the narrative. I even thought there might be some character development.

The characters, themselves, were not at all likeable nor believable. Our protagonist, Eli Landon, was somewhat sympathetic and from time to time had some surges of intelligence. Our female lead, Ab
Annette Mardis
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Maybe I've read so many books that I'm not as easily impressed as I used to be.
Maybe Nora Roberts has written so many books that she's not as impressive as she used to be.
Whatever the case, I feel about "Whiskey Beach" the way I've felt about a lot of this author's most recent books: I liked it but didn't love it.
I'm still waiting for Ms. Roberts to make me feel the way I did when I read "Northern Lights" or some of her other earlier works.
Maybe it's not fair to judge a book by what came before
Melodie
I had taken a deliberate break from Nora Roberts. Too predictable, too formula driven. Well the formula is still there, but she has switched it up very nicely with Whiskey Beach.
Eli Landon has returned to his family beach house,who are we kidding, beach front estate, after a year long existence in Boston. Living with his parents, he has been on the defensive, the prime suspect in his estranged wife's murder. Unable to continue practicing law, he arrives at Whiskey Beach, a bitter broken man.
En
Jennifer☠Pher☠
It's Nora guys, I don't know what else really to say, she pretty much always nails it. I really, really needed something different from what I have been reading and in this book I found it. Throw in a little mystery, an old house, a seaside town and a beautiful broken man and I didn't need anything else. This one seems to have a lot of mixed reviews and I see the point in all the reviews I read, I am glad I wasn't swayed though and gave it a chance. I really enjoyed this it and know that I will ...more
Carolyn
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roberts-nora, re-read
I have not read this since it was first published in 2013. After reading Ms. Roberts' current book, I remembered how much I enjoy being in "Nora Roberts Land." As a result, I decided to go back several years and re-read some of her books. Since I have read over 1,000 books in the time this book was first published, it was as if I was reading it anew. And, oh boy! Was it ever good! Yep, happily ensconced in "Nora Roberts Land" for the foreseeable future. ;)
Shannon
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I've said this before: Nora Roberts knows how to tell a story. That's why it's always been so disappointing when she gets lazy, using stock characters and recycled dialog and settings for her books. And while this one isn't completely original, it's so much better than her past few novels that I found myself thinking "finally!"

Eli Landon is suspected of murdering his estranged wife but, after a year, the Boston PD can't pin the murder on him. That's because he's innocent. To get away from what's
Kimberly
After a year spent at the center of a murder investigation, Boston lawyer Eli Landon has taken refuge at Bluff House, his family’s home in Whiskey Beach. Eli’s tired of the spotlight and the accusing stares from people who believed he killed his wife during their acrimonious divorce. He wants peace and finds it at Bluff House. Until housekeeper/yoga instructor/massage therapist/jewelry designer Abra Walsh turns his world upside down. Abra seems determined to bring Eli back into the world of the ...more
Zoey
A light Romantic Suspense, that was enjoyable but could have been better. With Romance, Murder & Pirates Treasure, I was expecting more. I liked it; it was an enjoyable read but just a little slow paced & lacked excitement in both the Romance & the Suspense. ...more
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Accused of murder
He goes to fam'ly beach house
Falls for free spirit

Mystery, suspense
Figured it out, but near end
Outstanding romance
Glamdring
*Buddy read with B <333* ...more
Eve
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-nora
Romantic Suspense / Contemporary Romance

I know that I've read Whiskey Beach before I joined Goodreads. I don't remember its plot nor characters thought. So I must have read it, then forgot about it.

Once I started some things sounded familiar but then they could have been from some other NR book. I couldn't find much interest in Eli, Abra sounded super perfect and efficient. She was more like a programmed robot than human. Its surprising she didn't constantly hum "Anything you can do, I can do b

• Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • So Far Into You
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown and coming in November 2020 -- The Awakening -- the first book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print. ...more