Start by marking “Whiskey Beach” as Want to Read:
Whiskey Beach

Whiskey Beach

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  31,708 ratings  ·  2,410 reviews
For more than three hundred years, Bluff House has sat above Whiskey Beach, guarding its shore--and its secrets. But to Eli Landon, it's home...
A Boston lawyer, Eli has weathered an intense year of public scrutiny and police investigations after being accused of--but never arrested for--the murder of his soon-to-be-ex wife.
He finds sanctuary at Bluff House, even though h
Published April 16th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey Beach, please sign up.
Veena Rangaswami
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  31,708 ratings  ·  2,410 reviews

Candace
'Whiskey Beach' was my first Nora Roberts book ever, believe it or not. I don't know how I've managed to avoid this talented author's work for so long, but shamefully, I have. When I saw this book on the bestsellers lists for such a long time, I got a little curious. I was between audiobooks and nothing on my Audible shelf was calling to me. So, on an impulse, I downloaded 'Whiskey Beach' and started listening. It ended up being a great choice.

The hero, Eli Landon, has returned to his grandmothe
Marjorie Pfister
Apr 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
I only wish I could say this is typical Nora Roberts. This has to be a rehash of earlier work. The story line was...stupid..characters..annoying.. I listened to this on audiobook..and I literally slept through 6 hours of it..and lost nothing..
Abba..haha I wasn't paying attention but if it was a homage to the 70's group..they have more substance than this flaky yoga teaching house cleaner..who works for Eli's grandmother who had a serious fall and can't live in the HUGE OLD MAINE house..list like
Sharon
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
I can't recall the last time I read a book by Nora Roberts, but I know it's been quite a while. And after reading Whiskey Beach which by the way was a fabulous read I said to myself that I mustn't take so long to take another one of her books.

Whiskey Beach was not only written well in my opinion, but it also had twists and turns that kept the reader turning the pages rather quickly wanting to know what would happen next. I normally shy away from what I call "chunky" books (close to 500 or more
Kate
Opening a Nora Roberts book is like stepping into a Thomas Kinkade painting. In Noraland, everyone is privileged, everyone is beautiful (and almost everyone is white. Super!), everyone loves dogs, and children, and babies, and problems are solved by the final chapter. If Thomas Kinkade-ish literature pisses you off, then you won't like Noraland, but for many of us it's a pleasant place to spend a few hours.

Whiskey Beach at first seems like it might slightly warp Nora's usual rules. Abra, our her
Shauni
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me just say.. NORA's BACK.. the last couple of stand alone Nora Roberts books have been good but for me they haven't been Great.. Yeah I know it's Nora of course they are great.. but I expect something undefinable from Nora and missed that in the past few books. Of course that is going to happens when you write as many books as Nora does. Not everyone is going to fall head over heels for every book.. and that's ok. But Whiskey Beach puts Nora back on top with me!!

Eli Landon has had a really
Emily
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book. I really, really wanted to like this book and in the end, I did, but only because it's Nora Roberts. The set up was intriguing - a guy suspected of murdering his soon to be ex wife retreats to a family house on the beach? Yeah, sign me up. Eli Landon was the perfect hero and his growth throughout the course of the book - from a man barely hanging on to sanity to a person who'd rediscovered themselves - was a joy to read.

My main complaint, the thing I really just can'
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Oct 2014 Update: This book now has a new narrator so I will reread at some point and update my review :)

3 1/2 Stars

Great storyline and characters. I think the problem for me was that I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was not really into the book he sounds almost bored while reading, which is unfortunate because I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I read the book (or she had a different narrator).
Alex is The Romance Fox
Whiskey Beach. What a great title!!! Just so grabable and just so Nora Roberts. Her book titles are always amazing.

Page 1 and I was back into the warm “arms” of Nora Roberts’s world. Like coming home!!!! You know that there will be a mystery filled with twists and turns, engaging and delightful characters, great dialogue filled with wit and warmth, marvelous settings, passionate hero/heroine and of course a HEA – THIS BOOK HAS IT ALL AND MORE. A treasure hunt, lovable dog, yoga and karma!!!

Eli L
Heller
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-f, romance, contemporary
2.5

A nice story with nice characters. Nothing ground-breaking here. If you're a Nora fan you know what you're getting: semi-alpha males, strong women, some nice banter with a coherent storyline and solid sex scenes.

I'm taking this one down a half-star for the transparent thriller aspect. I'm not expecting to have to put on a Holmesian deerstalker cap to figure things out but still I called the murderer and the intruder really early on in the read.

If you're sitting down and looking for a cozy ro
Brenda Audiobooks Only
UPDATE: Check out this note Melinda received from Audible today. Fabulous news!

"We wanted to let you to know that there is a new version of Nora Roberts' Whiskey Beach available in your Library. Because an overwhelming number of customers were unhappy with the original narrator's performance, the audio publisher decided to re-record Whiskey Beach with a new narrator, Luke Daniels.

If you'd like to listen to the new audio, simply re-download Whiskey Beach from your Library.

We hope you enjoy the n
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Thumbs Up: 3.5
Overall: Interesting
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Old tales of treasure spike fear
Page Turner: Kind of
Series Cont.? N/A
Recommend: No
Book Boyfriend: Eli

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
I actually didn’t like this one and DNF it only to come back. I finished out of curiosity not much more. The who done it became too easy to figure out. But it was still an okay read.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:
Aly is so frigging bored
This has to be one of the most boring books I have ever read! Not even my uni books compare to this(and isn't it sad that I'm comparing them?). The hero seems to be whining and the heroin is too fucking sweet! No.
I don't have the patience to read more.
DNF 20%
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

Since I have read translation, I have a little worth of putting quotes in the review. This is my first Nora Roberts book. I own 2 more translated books on my language but I never had the chance to read them (and I wish to have more, so I would love some suggestions!). And then I recently bought paperback of this one, stunned by it's beautiful cover and it's synopsis that really made me interested in it. Especially after reading Thicker Than Water, similar themed book with
Jacqueline J
This one was sort of different. I know that Nora Roberts is normally shelved in the romance section but this was not a true romance. Most of the story is told from the hero's POV. In fact the few times the POV switches to the heroine it seems intrusive. The romance while there is very easy and low key. There is no tension in the situation at all. These two people meet and are a perfect fit for each other. No trauma no problems just easy peasy. The heroine was not very interesting. She was so per ...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I liked this book okay ... meh ... it was well-written as you'd expect from Nora Roberts, but it was just ordinary. I will forget this within the next day - well, I think I was forgetting it as I was reading it. She just phoned this one in. And the heroine, oh boy, was she annoying. The hero was okay. Just didn't get a feel for either of them, and especially not together. Like he had a choice, she was so pushy he just had to get with her cos she said so, and he was so meh, he just went okaaaay. ...more
Bj
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 4-stars, arc, audiobooks
4 "Proving His Innocence" Stars for the story and narration.

Narration by Luke Daniels

Lovers of romantic suspense titles with strong independent heroines are sure to enjoy Whiskey Beach. Combining an undeniable attraction, with a race against the clock to find a killer, Whiskey Beach will keep you on your toes.

Former lawyer, Eli Landon has had a life altering event. Needing a respite to recover some semblance of normal after his wife is murdered--and the cops begin to take a serious look at him
Annette Mardis
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Maybe I've read so many books that I'm not as easily impressed as I used to be.
Maybe Nora Roberts has written so many books that she's not as impressive as she used to be.
Whatever the case, I feel about "Whiskey Beach" the way I've felt about a lot of this author's most recent books: I liked it but didn't love it.
I'm still waiting for Ms. Roberts to make me feel the way I did when I read "Northern Lights" or some of her other earlier works.
Maybe it's not fair to judge a book by what came before
Melodie
I had taken a deliberate break from Nora Roberts. Too predictable, too formula driven. Well the formula is still there, but she has switched it up very nicely with Whiskey Beach.
Eli Landon has returned to his family beach house,who are we kidding, beach front estate, after a year long existence in Boston. Living with his parents, he has been on the defensive, the prime suspect in his estranged wife's murder. Unable to continue practicing law, he arrives at Whiskey Beach, a bitter broken man.
En
Nan Williams
Apr 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one - no one at all
This was sure a waste of time. I kept thinking something would happen. I kept thinking that there would be some sort of mystery or suspense. I kept thinking that she would develop some of the little curiosities that she dropped in the narrative. I even thought there might be some character development.

The characters, themselves, were not at all likeable nor believable. Our protagonist, Eli Landon, was somewhat sympathetic and from time to time had some surges of intelligence. Our female lead, Ab
Kimberly
After a year spent at the center of a murder investigation, Boston lawyer Eli Landon has taken refuge at Bluff House, his family’s home in Whiskey Beach. Eli’s tired of the spotlight and the accusing stares from people who believed he killed his wife during their acrimonious divorce. He wants peace and finds it at Bluff House. Until housekeeper/yoga instructor/massage therapist/jewelry designer Abra Walsh turns his world upside down. Abra seems determined to bring Eli back into the world of the ...more
Zoey
A light Romantic Suspense, that was enjoyable but could have been better. With Romance, Murder & Pirates Treasure, I was expecting more. I liked it; it was an enjoyable read but just a little slow paced & lacked excitement in both the Romance & the Suspense.
Shannon
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I've said this before: Nora Roberts knows how to tell a story. That's why it's always been so disappointing when she gets lazy, using stock characters and recycled dialog and settings for her books. And while this one isn't completely original, it's so much better than her past few novels that I found myself thinking "finally!"

Eli Landon is suspected of murdering his estranged wife but, after a year, the Boston PD can't pin the murder on him. That's because he's innocent. To get away from what's
Brenda
As Eli Landon slowly drove into the driveway of Bluff House in Whiskey Beach, he reflected on the last twelve months of his life. His wife, Lindsay had been murdered; he had found her body, but it was on the same day he'd had a fierce and public argument with her…the day he'd found out she’d been having an affair for a number of months. He was accused of her murder, and had been hounded by the police, the press, had lost friends and colleagues, plus his job as a lawyer. He was cleared of the mur ...more
Cathryn Chandler
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-romance
As I’ve mentioned in a number of previous Nora Robert’s reviews—I’m a very big fan. I’ve read most of her books—and would have to go back to the ‘90’s to find one I haven’t read. Some have been better than others, and happily, Whiskey Beach falls into the “better” category. After being very disappointed in Nora’s latest book in her murder mystery/romance series written under her pseudonym of JD Robb, it was with a sigh of relief to find Whiskey Beach a very engaging, well-crafted entry in her m ...more
Glamdring
*Buddy read with B <333*
Monnie
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Put my feet to the fire and I'd consider giving this one 3-12 stars, but that would be a stretch. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - every time I had to put it down for a while I looked forward to opening it up again, at least sort of. But from the git-go, it just didn't grab me the way a thriller should (especially one from the usually talented author Nora Roberts, whose books I've always enjoyed in the past).

My lack of interest mostly centered on the characters -- starting with Boston lawye
SB*needs low angst books*
Upon a re-read, I must lower this rating from a 4 to a 3 maybe even a 3.5.

I can say I still enjoyed the story for the most part and I can even say that I like the characters but for me the heroine took down this rating.

The story is about Eli who was accused of his wife's murder, who he was about to divorce, but was cleared to due lack of evidence but still has the shadow of doubt hanging over him since no one was ever caught. He moves from back to his Grandmother's house at her request since she
Lady Lioness
Trying desperately to get myself back into the swing of things. All of my March reads fit on a post-it note. I have shame.

Anyways, I liked this one. It fit the mood I've been in which is, basically, 'don't wanna think.' Action-packed, this is not. I felt it was like a comforting lullaby in book form. It was as if Whiskey Beach was telling me, 'Worry not, child, everything's going to be all right. This dude got accused of murder and look how things are turning around for him!' Plus, about halfwa
CatBookMom
2017 - I didn't remember much of the story from reading it 4 years ago. Bought this when the price was down at Amazon. It doesn't quite get to 3.5 stars, and after some time to think about it, I'm not rounding up. Seemed like it went on for too long, i.e., too much filler?

2013 -I didn't mind staying with the story till the end; though it wasn't as great as some of her other stand-alone novels, it was far from as annoying as some of the not-so-great ones, either. Yeah, damning with faint praise,
Jennifer☠Pher☠
It's Nora guys, I don't know what else really to say, she pretty much always nails it. I really, really needed something different from what I have been reading and in this book I found it. Throw in a little mystery, an old house, a seaside town and a beautiful broken man and I didn't need anything else. This one seems to have a lot of mixed reviews and I see the point in all the reviews I read, I am glad I wasn't swayed though and gave it a chance. I really enjoyed this it and know that I will ...more

• Calculated in Death (In Death, #36)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2)
  • Beautiful Sacrifice
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Shadow Woman
  • Hotshot (Buchanan-Renard, #11)
  • Just One Kiss (Fool's Gold, #10)
“You can never read too many books, any kind.” 5 likes
“He hated this feeling of free-floating, just drifting from place to place, thought to thought, without any sense of anchor or root.” 1 likes