Start by marking “The Lemon Orchard” as Want to Read:
The Lemon Orchard

The Lemon Orchard

From bestselling author Luanne Rice—a captivating and sexy novel of love, both enduring and unexpected

Year after year, Luanne Rice’s fans eagerly await her next book. Their enthusiasm is soon to be rewarded with The Lemon Orchard, Rice’s romantic new love story between two people from seemingly different worlds.

In the five years since Julia last visited her aunt and uncle’
Published July 2nd 2013 by Pamela Dorman Books (first published January 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lemon Orchard, please sign up.

Dale Harcombe
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story concern two people who have both lost daughters. One is American anthropologist Julia. Her teenage daughter died suddenly. Was it a car accident or something more than that? Roberto, a Mexican while trying to cross the desert and reach America and his father, loses his young daughter, Rosa. He has no idea if Rosa is dead or alive. When the story opens Roberto is an illegal immigrant working on a lemon orchard. The settings of Mexico, the desert and Malibu are wonderfully described. I c ...more
Sandy M
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I’ve taken some time after finishing this book to write my review, because I needed a little bit to think this story over. I enjoyed the book a lot, but I wish I’d made a visit to Luanne Rice’s web site before beginning to read it. There, in a short description of the story, are two words that would have saved me from an ending that threw me for one huge loop.

Julia’s story begins with the devastating loss of her daughter; we’re given a look into this family’s life and the events that lead up to
Julie Barrett
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Lemon Orchard by Luanne Rice
I wanted to read this book for a few reasons: 1. the author is from the same state as I and I've read all her other books and loved them=they make you think 2. it's about trees-love knowing others use their hands to make a living and know I will be learning something new in this book.
Book starts out with Jenny and her dad in the car on their way when there is an accident. Love the idea of moon picnics and we learn she was going to divorce Peter..
Next it turns to R
Bonnie
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, contemporary
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I received this book free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Julia is still reeling five years after the death of her daughter and husband. While visiting her Aunt and Uncle in Malibu she forms a bond with Roberto, a man who is also suffering through the loss of a daughter. Julia’s daughter died and is truly gone, however, Roberto’s daughter was lost in the desert while attempting to
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
California, Mexico, a lemon orchard, an estate owner, and a special Mexican worker in the lemon orchard.

Roberto, a worker in the lemon orchard, and Julia, the niece of the owner of the lemon orchard had one thing in common, and they were drawn to each other.

Julia and Roberto had both lost children, one in an accident and one in the desert. Both of their lives were consumed with the grief of their loss even after five years, and they shared this common bond.

THE LEMON ORCHARD was a beautiful story
Sara Haasis
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
The star of this story is the landscape. The seaside lemon orchard in California gets a glowing tribute, especially during the a wildfire and the dusty Santa Ana winds. Maybe it’s just because I’m in the middle of a Louisiana forest in June but I’ve never wanted to be in the ocean more than I do when I’m reading about Julia and her daughter Jenny on the beach.

But there are two relationships that should be the backbone of this book: Julia and Roberto, and Julia and Jenny, but I found both of them
Lisa B.
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts

Julia and Roberto - two souls struggling with life as they silently bear the burden of their own individual losses. Each of them is very different, but as we know, tragedy know no boundaries, has no rules and is not governed by socioeconomic status. And so they are drawn together and through their relationship, they begin to heal.

What a touching story and so well written. I was completely caught off guard by the ending - it made me gasp!

I will never listen to the immigration debate a
Annette Mardis
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
By ANNETTE MARDIS
Luanne Rice's books always have been deeply tinged with loss: of a lover, a family member, a lifestyle. Her characters' deep yearnings for what once was can make her readers' hearts ache, too, until the expected happy ending.

Every once in a while, and especially in later books, Rice changes things up and offers bittersweet and sometimes ambivalent finales to her touching tales that, while not as emotionally satisfying, certainly are much more real.

That's what awaits readers in "
Vickie
I really enjoyed The Lemon Orchard: A Novel by Luanne Rice. I have never read anything by this author before but will certainly look for other books by her.

The story take place in California where the reader is introduced to the two main characters. Julia has moved to the lemon orchard to recover from the tragic loss of her daughter and husband. It is here that she meets Roberto, who oversees the lemon orchard. As they get to know each other, Roberto recounts the story of how he lost his daughte
Becky
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhh, I loved this book so much, I stayed up much too late to finish it!!!.....I could just smell the scent of lemons throughout the book....Once again Luanne writes such a visual story & it gripped my heart right from the very first pages. I loved Roberto & Rosa's heart breaking story, how strongly they felt the need to be in the US & what promise the US held for them. I loved the connection between Julia & Roberto, the connection of loss & sadness & love. One character ...more
Book of Secrets
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE LEMON ORCHARD is a bittersweet love story set in a beautiful Malibu lemon orchard by the Pacific Ocean. It's in this orchard that Julia, an anthropologist, and Roberto, an undocumented immigrant worker, meet and fall in love. Julia's teenage daughter was killed in a tragic accident five years earlier, and she's been living in a fog of grief ever since. A job as house sitter for her aunt and uncle at their lemon orchard seems like the perfect escape. Roberto has been living with his own grief ...more
Judy Collins
A beautifully written story of two people finding their way and healing. An emotional story of Julia, set in breathtaking Santa Monica Mountains at her aunt and uncle’s lemon orchard –house sitting with her dog Bonnie while they are away in Ireland.

Julie is still mourning the loss of her daughter in a car accident and seeks solace and peace to deal with her grief and guilt. Her marriage was in trouble at the time of the accident, and compounded with the death of her husband and her daughter.

Whi
Myrna
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Now I see why so many like Luanne Rice. This was a touching book with great characters and setting. It’s about two parents that have lost their children in different ways. As I was reading the book, one could feel the heartache, love, and hope the two main characters faced separately and together. My favorite thing about this one was the softer, sadder side of illegal immigration. The author did her research. Well done Luanne!
Patricia Williams
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really good story. It had sadness in it but also good parts with happiness. I really enjoyed reading this book. I did not want to put it down. It was a nice, good read. I was not completely happy with the ending but I guess logical and not too sappy. Would definitely recommend this book, especially to people who live or have lived near the Mexican border towns, as I have in the past.
Jonetta
It's been five years since Julia Hughes lost her only child, Jenny, in a car accident. Her husband died in the same crash but Julia's grief is solely for her daughter. She leaves her solitary life in New England to house sit for her aunt and uncle in their Malibu estate, accompanied by her dog Bonnie. While there, she finds a heartbreaking connection to the Mexican orchard manager, Roberto Rodriguez, whose daughter was lost and never found ten years ago.

Roberto's tragic story seems to breathe l
Beth
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-kindle
This is the first book I have read by this author and now I will probably read others as I liked it very much.

The Lemon Orchard begins with the death of 16 year old Jenny and her father Peter in a car accident. Jenny's Mom, Julia, and the family dog Bonnie are following in another car and come upon the accident to find both father and daughter have died.

After 5 years of grieving alone in her house with no one to keep her company besides Bonnie, Julia travels to Malibu, Ca to housesit for her aun
Susan
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I give Luanne Rice credit for leaving her usual Connecticut seashore setting and writing about the illegal Mexican immigrant experience in southern California. She makes a point of reminding us how the Irish immigrants of the 19th century faced similar prejudice and protest, yet became an integral part of our society. It's impossible not to feel for hero Roberto, who is only looking for a better life for himself and his daughter.

However, as usual with most of Rice's recent books, the love story
Joseph
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As always....
☕️Kimberly
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 I was delighted when the opportunity presented itself for me to review The Lemon Orchard and I moved my schedule around to accommodate it. I am so glad that I did because Luanne Rice delivered a beautifully poignant tale about loss, love and hope. From the very first page I was enthralled by the author’s voice and her characters. Three word review: heart-breaking, captivating and beautiful.

The tale begins with a first person prologue that immediately draws the reader in, and then we fast for
Sharon Redfern
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I wasn’t sure I wanted to read this book at first but I am so glad that I did. It is a beautifully written story about two broken people finding each other and a way to heal the hurts in their hearts. The book starts off with a heartrending story and keeps the emotional level up through the rest of the book.
Julia is in California at her aunt and uncle’s lemon orchard house sitting for them while they are in Ireland. She is still mourning the loss of her daughter in a car accident f
The Lit Bitch
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This novel isn’t one that I would normally pick up for review, but I have heard lots of good things about Luanne Rice’s novels so I thought I would give it a try.

At first I was skeptical about the love story….an undocumented migrant worker and a wealthy educated American woman….??? It just didn’t seem like a realistic match for me, but I was blown away at how easily the relationship came together.

It wasn’t a story about how different they were, it was about what they had in common. It
Kathy
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Luanne Rice has written another fantastic novel. In this book, Julia has returned to her uncle and aunt’s house with her dog Bonnie, while they are doing genealogical research in Italy to house sit. In the five years since her last visit, Julia’s life has been turned upside down by her husband’s and daughter’s death, from which she has barely begun to recover. At the orchard, she meets and is immediately attracted to Roberto, also grieving for his lost daughter, who oversees the orchard and who ...more
Donna
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 1-audiobook
The story is centers around 2 people mourning a loss of a child. Five years earlier Julia lost her daughter in a tragic car accident and at the same time Roberto lost his daughter illegally crossing the Mexican border in the Arizona dessert. When Julia agrees to house sit for her aunt and uncle on their sprawling lemon estate she encounters Roberto, lemon orchard manager. As their relationship grows, each shares their story of loss and sadness but now are finding some happiness with each other. ...more
LORI CASWELL
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
What a moving story! Two people brought together through fate only to realize how much they have in common and how they can rescue each other from the fragmented lives they are living.

Luanne Rice describes time, place and circumstances so perfectly that our minds can see in detail each cacti needle, grain of sand, and tear shed. I felt like I was there or at the very least watching a movie instead of reading a book. I was thirsty just reading Roberto and Rosa’s long journey through the desert an
Teresa Medeiros
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Luanne Rice has long been one of my favorite Women's Fiction authors. From the very first page of THE LEMON ORCHARD, her lovely prose establishes a mood for the book that is tender and slightly melancholy, yet ultimately infused with hope. This was a beautiful and gentle story about a woman who falls in love with the Mexican immigrant who manages her uncle's orchard. Both Bonnie and Roberto have endured heartbreaking losses involving their daughters, which become easier to bear when they find ea ...more
Denise
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
What compelling and compassionate story. Once I started I couldn't put this book, and by the end there were tears in my eyes. I fell in love with the characters from the beginning. I haven't read a book from Luanne Rice in awhile, but this was my favorite book by far from her. A definite must read. A very inspiring story about losing someone and finding a way to grieve and move on.
Ashley
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must say I absolutely love this author's work so far. I have read Little Night and this book, and I have 2 more on my shelf that I can't wait to get into. This book was a lovely journey of two heartbroken adults who had both lost heir children 5 years ago, and stumbled upon each other and helped one another through their grief.
I wish it had ended differently, but it was a great book overall.
Kathryn
Beautifully written story, kept me engaged the whole way through. Many parts so sad and shocking. Many parts so full of love.
Jeanne Gehret
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Sad, but also sweet and triumphant. Shows how grief is such a personal thing and can permeate all of the survivor's life. I loved how the protagonist's going outside of herself helped her come to terms, finally, with her own loss.
The sections dealing with Mexicans crossing the border illegally were eye-openers for me and gave me much to consider regarding illegal aliens. I salute Rice for such a thoughtful approach to a controversial subject.
Ginger
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness! I loved this book. It was heartbreaking yet uplifting at the same time. I would like to think there are people in the world who can bend the rules a bit to help someone and their family.

The love Roberto & Julia have for each other really touched me as well as losing their daughters before they met. I swear every time I read or hear about a lemon orchard, I'll think of this book.

• Faint Echoes Of Laughter  (Empty Chairs, #2)
  • Out of Sync
  • My Vacation in Hell
  • Blush: A Mennonite Girl Meets a Glittering World
  • Don't Call Me Mother: A Daughter's Journey from Abandonment to Forgiveness
  • Time Flies
  • Sister of Silence (Appalachian Families #1)
  • Sweet Salt Air
  • One Season of Sunshine (Cedar Springs, #2)
  • The Normal One: Life with a Difficult or Damaged Sibling
  • Will Love For Crumbs
  • The Tender Land: A Family Love Story
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
“Before dawn, the air smelled of lemons.” 4 likes