Start by marking “Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child” as Want to Read:

Raising happy, compassionate, and responsible children requires both love and limits. In Mindful Discipline, internationally recognized mindfulness expert Shauna Shapiro and pediatrician Chris White weave together ancient wisdom and modern science to provide new perspectives on parenting and discipline.

Grounded in mindfulness and neuroscience, this pioneering book redefin
Published June 1st 2014 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 1st 2014)

Cathy aka The Attached Mama
I agree with many opinions asserted in this book. As someone who wholeheartedly agrees with the attachment parenting philosophy, I have noticed as I grow older, that many people seem to confuse gentle and loving discipline with NO discipline and complete permissiveness. They have good intentions: They hope by giving nearly unlimited freedom and autonomy, that they will raise caring, empathetic adults who function well in society. However, their complete permissiveness seems to do exactly the op ...more
Sarah De
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the incredible fortune this week of picking up Mindful Discipline, by mindfulness expert Shauna Shapiro, PhD and pediatrician Chris White, MD. This book spoke directly to the heart of my experience as a parent navigating the perils and trials of early adolescence with my 12-year-old son. Mindful Discipline provided an eloquent, yet clear and intuitive framework for seeing and meeting my child’s needs through “unconditional love, space, mentorship, healthy boundaries, and mis-takes.” One of ...more
Andrea Gooch
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
If a Dr and a yoga master wrote a book this would be it. Let me save you the trouble and summarize. When you get upset take a deep breath before you react. Ok I just saved you 6 hours of your life.
Margret
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
My main take away from this book was the many chapter ending “practices” of mindfulness which mostly consisted in visualization and breathing exercises. These have a place but I was disappointed that from a parenting perspective that the book gave little of concrete applicability.

The narrative was confusing to listen to on audio because of the unclear shifts between the two author male/female voice. One minute is a father speaking and the next a mother. Really difficult to follow clearly.

There
Pam Mooney
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for parents with kids of all ages. It includes clear examples and scenarios backed up by solid research on parenting. Using this guide on the side parents can learn to parent in a loving way while still holding the reins on their kids and earning their respect. Parent are supported with lessons on focusing their own mind set in approaching child discipline. If you want to raise a successful child with resilience, empathy and compassion for others this book can be a grea ...more
Brandy
Via NetGalley.

Not a bad book, but dauntingly long. Admittedly my impatience with Mindfulness is my own issue and not a fault of this book, but I get the basic ideas of what they're saying. It's about slowing your own reactions, taking a moment to breathe and BE in the moment and practice mindfulness--then apply it to parenting.

One I'll poke at on my ipod until it expires off the Kindle app, but not an easy one to read straight through.
Collette
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 - this book had a lot of great things about it. Because I listened to it, I didn't practice any of the exercises, but I have a hard copy from the library to look back at. I wanted a book that would help me focus more on the moment and not just react when something needs to be addressed with my kids (both my own and at preschool). I liked the focus on both the moment AND long term effects of how we choose to react. We're raising future adults and remembering that as we discipline is important ...more
Elissa
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This book was recommended to me by one of my parent patrons after I complimented her on her well behaved and mild-mannered children. I really liked it! I appreciated this approach to parenting that is not child-centric but emphasizes knowing yourself and being in tune with your emotions before parenting (and sometimes making a mistake by yelling, etc., acknowledging that, and moving past it to make things better with your child). I think some people would find this approach too "woo-woo" but may ...more
Jessica
This is a great book for those dealing with emotional and sensitive preschoolers. Instead of focusing on the 'what to do's' too much, it focuses on the 'how to be's'. Sometimes parenting means letting go more than it means holding fast when it comes to discipline. It means hugging over scolding, empathizing over admonishing. I am really going to try to focus more on the emotions I am bringing to each interaction with my child.

I love this book!
Jen
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recognized some of this info from other parenting books and research I've read. Some of the meditation/mindfulness practice techniques were interesting and I'll try applying some of them, but overall, this book was a little more difficult for me to get through than some of the other (similar) parenting books I've read.
Ashley
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I found it to be easy to digest, practical, and grounded in ideas that I want to pursue as a parent. Whereas I found The Conscious Parent to be mostly repetitive and vague, this book has at least 10 mindfulness practices, as well as plenty of realistic situational examples that I know I will return to. Hooray!
Stephanie Ackerson
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t know that the concepts shared in this book are anything earth shattering or new but they are good practices that would benefit any parent/child relationship. This has book has been helpful for me and caused me to reflect on how I handle different situations with my children and what I can do to improve.
Meghan Davis strader
I did not find this book to be particularly helpful with parenting. I had the impression the authors wanted to write a book about meditation, but wanted people to read it and so tried to loosely tie it to parenting as a gimmick. Keeping calm, breathing, and being kind to yourself are all good things to practice whether you are a parent or not and those were good reminders.
Katie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Learning to take a breath when I need to collect myself calmly before disciplining my baby was the common focus of this book. I also felt reassured that disciplining with love & consistency is the best thing for our littles.
Lili
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Good reminders, though I think it can be summed up into one sentence: think before you act.
I listened to this on audio, and the voice of the narrator might've made it less impactful for me. But I have a hard time getting through self-help books if I'm just reading them.
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish. I tried to read this one several times. A lot of what I read covered basic ideas about mindfulness and child development. I'm not sure if it was the writing style or that I am familiar with most of what I read, but I could never get the momentum to finish.
Ryan Supple
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mindfulness is invaluable in all aspects of life, but surely there is nowhere it is more important than parenting. This book provides some good tips on how to remain mindful even through the most frustrating challenges.
Gabrielle
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 -- I was expecting a granola-y book, but this was a tad too crunchy for me. I extracted some useful concepts and perspectives from the frilly clutter, but overall I would recommend a different book.
Doni
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: partly-read
Did not offer anything new from the traditional self-help book.
Lucy
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, audiobooks
This one was a DNF for me.
Alyssa Crawford
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This booked is filled with great concepts that should be common-sense, but sadly are not.
Theresa
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent content, a bit obvious, but poorly written. Unnecessarily uses the word "sorry" a lot in interactions with kids.
Awenydd Orchantra Faeryn
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is no better way to describe this book, than using its quotes from within.

"The Mindful Discipline invites us to wholeheartedly meet our children, ourselves, and life, moment by moment."

"The Mindful Discipline approach is holistic, flexible, pragmatic, and most importantly, focused on long-term development more than short-term compliance."

If I could give this book more stars, I would. I think every person who is or will be a parent should read this, even 10 years in advance-it will change
Robert Guico
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Mindful Discipline is a parenting book that is a research-backed psychology lesson for the first half, and a pragmatic model that builds atop this foundation for the second half, glued together by a whole bunch of far-eastern mysticism.

This is a unique combination, to say the least.

Nonetheless there is a whole bunch of information packed within its pages, enough that you really ought to take notes. If I had to distill it to an idea, though, the book advocates for a fundamental paradox when it co
Adriane Devries
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, teaching
As the pendulum of parenting by punishment-and-reward has swung to parenting by the promotion of hollow self-esteem, authors and child-development experts Sahuna Shapiro, PhD, and Christ White, MD, have offered a new alternative in the form of Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent child. Decades of research show that the most nurturing parent-child relationship is a loving hierarchy in which young are cared for, protected and guided with t ...more
Marleah
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: nonfiction
I learned that I'm actually more mindful than I knew. I worked as a paraeducator in a special ed classroom for a year and learned the skills of patience, compassion, and understanding before I became a parent. I think that experience has been indispensable now that I'm dealing with a toddler at home. A lot of what the authors call mindfulness in this book involve listening to your child, understanding the root issue, being patient, and being present in the moment.

I do need to work on being pres
Rita Christine
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I loved this book. Not only is it a great resource for parenting, but it really brought perspective to the parent individually - how we not only discipline our children, but ourselves. Listing out mindful practices really helped me digest each chapter and retain the information in a way where I could actually use (and in my own style) The book overall wasn't too stuffy, it was an easy read with short to the point chapters. Being able to understand our children from the inside out helps when it c ...more
Rachel
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ever feel like you are constantly disciplining or nagging your children? Cut that out! Mindful Discipline invites us to self-reflect, calm down and incorporate the following into our parenting:
1) Unconditional love - always, and tell them!
2) Space - giving the child time to make good choices, lead, learn, etc.
3) Mentorship - through example and directly as appropriate
4) Healthy Boundaries - helps develop impulse control and adaptability
5) Mis-takes - the idea that we all make them (we sure do!)
Becky
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mindful discipline is a wonderfully balanced approach to parenting. I love both the value of discipline and freedom for children which this book captures. They expound upon the 5 essential elements: unconditional love, space, mentorship, healthy boundaries, and Mis-takes.
I felt this book offered the best balanced approach that most closely illustrates real parenting. I often agreed with the authors, and wanted more. The drawback for me was their focus on mindfulness/meditation (which is not ne
GONZA
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Mindfulness used to explain the discipline, both own as well as to teach to our children, not so much to avoid problems, but rather to allow them to find their way guided by the true self. Interesting, but at times a bit utopian.

La mindfulness utilizzata per spiegare la disciplina, sia la propria che quella da insegnare ai propri figli, non tanto per evitare problemi, quanto piuttosto per permettergli di trovare la loro strada guidati dal vero sé. Interessante, ma a tratti un pochino utopistico.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Brave Parenting: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide to Raising Emotionally Resilient Children
  • Parenting with Presence: Practices for Raising Conscious, Confident, Caring Kids
  • Parenting in the Present Moment: How to Stay Focused on What Really Matters
  • The Soul of Discipline: The Simplicity Parenting Approach to Warm, Firm, and Calm Guidance- From Toddlers to Teens
  • The Art of Roughhousing: Good Old-Fashioned Horseplay and Why Every Kid Needs It
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Why Smart Kids Worry: And What Parents Can Do to Help
  • Permission to Parent: How to Raise Your Child with Love and Limits
  • How to Raise a Wild Child: The Art and Science of Falling in Love with Nature
  • Is That Me Yelling?: A Parent's Guide to Getting Your Kids to Cooperate Without Losing Your Cool
  • Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication
  • Parenting Without Borders: Surprising Lessons Parents Around the World Can Teach Us
  • Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • The Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity--Includes over 60 Art Projects for Children Ages 1 to 8
  • Smart Parenting for Smart Kids: Nurturing Your Child's True Potential
  • Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness
  • The Intuitive Parent: Why the Best Thing For Your Child is You
Shauna Shapiro, PhD, is a professor at Santa Clara University, a clinical psychologist, an internationally recognized expert in mindfulness, and a mother. With twenty years of meditation experience studying in Thailand and Nepal, as well as in the West, Shapiro brings an embodied sense of mindfulness to her scientific work. She has published over one hundred journal articles and chapters, and coau ...more
“A mindful parent is one who is committed to practicing being present and awake, and to listening deeply to her child, moment by moment. Mindfulness depends upon awareness.” 2 likes
“word “discipline” often evokes strong emotional reactions, particularly because it is often used synonymously with “punishment.” However, the original meaning of discipline is “to teach.” 2 likes