Start by marking “Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child” as Want to Read:

Raising happy, compassionate, and responsible children requires both love and limits. In Mindful Discipline, internationally recognized mindfulness expert Shauna Shapiro and pediatrician Chris White weave together ancient wisdom and modern science to provide new perspectives on parenting and discipline.

Grounded in mindfulness and neuroscience, this pioneering book redefin
Published June 1st 2014 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 1st 2014)

Start your review of Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
Cathy aka The Attached Mama
I agree with many opinions asserted in this book. As someone who wholeheartedly agrees with the attachment parenting philosophy, I have noticed as I grow older, that many people seem to confuse gentle and loving discipline with NO discipline and complete permissiveness. They have good intentions: They hope by giving nearly unlimited freedom and autonomy, that they will raise caring, empathetic adults who function well in society. However, their complete permissiveness seems to do exactly the op ...more
Sarah De
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the incredible fortune this week of picking up Mindful Discipline, by mindfulness expert Shauna Shapiro, PhD and pediatrician Chris White, MD. This book spoke directly to the heart of my experience as a parent navigating the perils and trials of early adolescence with my 12-year-old son. Mindful Discipline provided an eloquent, yet clear and intuitive framework for seeing and meeting my child’s needs through “unconditional love, space, mentorship, healthy boundaries, and mis-takes.” One of ...more
Andrea Gooch
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
If a Dr and a yoga master wrote a book this would be it. Let me save you the trouble and summarize. When you get upset take a deep breath before you react. Ok I just saved you 6 hours of your life.
Margret
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
My main take away from this book was the many chapter ending “practices” of mindfulness which mostly consisted in visualization and breathing exercises. These have a place but I was disappointed that from a parenting perspective that the book gave little of concrete applicability.

The narrative was confusing to listen to on audio because of the unclear shifts between the two author male/female voice. One minute is a father speaking and the next a mother. Really difficult to follow clearly.

There
Pam Mooney
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for parents with kids of all ages. It includes clear examples and scenarios backed up by solid research on parenting. Using this guide on the side parents can learn to parent in a loving way while still holding the reins on their kids and earning their respect. Parent are supported with lessons on focusing their own mind set in approaching child discipline. If you want to raise a successful child with resilience, empathy and compassion for others this book can be a grea ...more
Brandy
Via NetGalley.

Not a bad book, but dauntingly long. Admittedly my impatience with Mindfulness is my own issue and not a fault of this book, but I get the basic ideas of what they're saying. It's about slowing your own reactions, taking a moment to breathe and BE in the moment and practice mindfulness--then apply it to parenting.

One I'll poke at on my ipod until it expires off the Kindle app, but not an easy one to read straight through.
Collette
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 - this book had a lot of great things about it. Because I listened to it, I didn't practice any of the exercises, but I have a hard copy from the library to look back at. I wanted a book that would help me focus more on the moment and not just react when something needs to be addressed with my kids (both my own and at preschool). I liked the focus on both the moment AND long term effects of how we choose to react. We're raising future adults and remembering that as we discipline is important ...more
Elissa
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This book was recommended to me by one of my parent patrons after I complimented her on her well behaved and mild-mannered children. I really liked it! I appreciated this approach to parenting that is not child-centric but emphasizes knowing yourself and being in tune with your emotions before parenting (and sometimes making a mistake by yelling, etc., acknowledging that, and moving past it to make things better with your child). I think some people would find this approach too "woo-woo" but may ...more
Geraldine
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
This book includes a series of practices intended to help one cultivate mindfulness and become a more present parent. It is a good synthesis of various studies and knowledge of parenting experts. The language is a little flowery in places (as other readers have noted), but the book contains helpful information if you can look past that.

If you are looking for a book with specific examples of how to discipline your child, you will be disappointed. This is a book on becoming more present, mindful,
Rebecca
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This book is part parenting guide and part self-help manual with mindfulness exercises scattered throughout with special focus on parenting. I found the parenting guide useful for all ages, compatible with other very good books such as The Whole Brain Child and Raising Human Beings. It explains the dual tension we face as parents to practice attachment while getting them ready to leave us and face whatever life throws at them. My 10-year-old made a face when he saw the term “discipline” on the c ...more
Ren
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-read
Mindful discipline outlines the difference between permissive, assertive, and authoritarian parenting styles with prolific examples to illustrate how the different approaches play out on real life. The intention of the book is to encourage parents to take an assertive approach to discipline and subsequently explores the assumptions and worldview underpinning this style.

With an emphasis on growing yourself up before raising a child, the book offers helpful mindfulness practices with each chapter
Jessica
This is a great book for those dealing with emotional and sensitive preschoolers. Instead of focusing on the 'what to do's' too much, it focuses on the 'how to be's'. Sometimes parenting means letting go more than it means holding fast when it comes to discipline. It means hugging over scolding, empathizing over admonishing. I am really going to try to focus more on the emotions I am bringing to each interaction with my child.

I love this book!
Meghan Davis strader
I did not find this book to be particularly helpful with parenting. I had the impression the authors wanted to write a book about meditation, but wanted people to read it and so tried to loosely tie it to parenting as a gimmick. Keeping calm, breathing, and being kind to yourself are all good things to practice whether you are a parent or not and those were good reminders.
Ashley
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I found it to be easy to digest, practical, and grounded in ideas that I want to pursue as a parent. Whereas I found The Conscious Parent to be mostly repetitive and vague, this book has at least 10 mindfulness practices, as well as plenty of realistic situational examples that I know I will return to. Hooray!
Jen
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recognized some of this info from other parenting books and research I've read. Some of the meditation/mindfulness practice techniques were interesting and I'll try applying some of them, but overall, this book was a little more difficult for me to get through than some of the other (similar) parenting books I've read.
Stephanie Ackerson
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t know that the concepts shared in this book are anything earth shattering or new but they are good practices that would benefit any parent/child relationship. This has book has been helpful for me and caused me to reflect on how I handle different situations with my children and what I can do to improve.
Angela Hedworth
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Meh. There are much better parenting books out there that aren't so nebulous in their suggestions. Read Peaceful Parents, Happy Children (I think that is the name). The concepts are similar but the advise is less 'crunchy' feeling. After all, with the kids I have, do I really have time to meditate as much as suggested in this book on their ideas and passages? No, I don't.
Nikki Knox
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love love love! My Favorite parenting book ever. Really helped me start to transition away from a punishing approach to a restorative / compassionate parenting approach. It gave me practical, encouraging, actually usable tools for real life - like when I’ve lost it and dislike my kids. So refreshing for the realities of parenting.
Jun 12, 2020 added it
Alongside other parenting books this gives a very useful perspective on lots of issues and the audio version is great for its relaxing mindfulness exercises at regular intervals throughout the book which helped me step back when considering parenting problems and incidents and consider alternative approaches - similar to No Drama Discipline in one or two ways.
Ryan Supple
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mindfulness is invaluable in all aspects of life, but surely there is nowhere it is more important than parenting. This book provides some good tips on how to remain mindful even through the most frustrating challenges.
Katie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Learning to take a breath when I need to collect myself calmly before disciplining my baby was the common focus of this book. I also felt reassured that disciplining with love & consistency is the best thing for our littles. ...more
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish. I tried to read this one several times. A lot of what I read covered basic ideas about mindfulness and child development. I'm not sure if it was the writing style or that I am familiar with most of what I read, but I could never get the momentum to finish.
Gabrielle
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 -- I was expecting a granola-y book, but this was a tad too crunchy for me. I extracted some useful concepts and perspectives from the frilly clutter, but overall I would recommend a different book.
Lili
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Good reminders, though I think it can be summed up into one sentence: think before you act.
I listened to this on audio, and the voice of the narrator might've made it less impactful for me. But I have a hard time getting through self-help books if I'm just reading them.
Doni
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: partly-read
Did not offer anything new from the traditional self-help book.
Alyssa Crawford
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This booked is filled with great concepts that should be common-sense, but sadly are not.
Lucy
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2018
This one was a DNF for me.
Likkia
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a fairly easy read. The mindfulness exercises have proven to be helpful. I appreciate the examples even though they sometimes don’t seem very real.
Marie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Giving the child more attention when he pulls a tantrum for not getting what he wants? Spending all day in a 'meditative state' to figure out how to parent? Was a bit too "new age" for me.
J'Nette
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A ton of good tidbits in this book. Alittle lengthy in the meditation and examples but the principles sing true to me and I love the approach!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Positive Parenting: An Essential Guide
  • No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
  • The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • The Yes Brain: How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
  • Thirty Million Words: Building a Child's Brain
  • Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World
  • Beyond Measure: Rescuing an Overscheduled, Overtested, Underestimated Generation
  • Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense
  • Cartwheel
  • Seven Lies
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience
Shauna Shapiro, PhD, is a professor at Santa Clara University, a clinical psychologist, an internationally recognized expert in mindfulness, and a mother. With twenty years of meditation experience studying in Thailand and Nepal, as well as in the West, Shapiro brings an embodied sense of mindfulness to her scientific work. She has published over one hundred journal articles and chapters, and coau ...more