Start by marking “At The Dying of The Year (Richard Nottingham, #5)” as Want to Read:
At The Dying of The Year (Richard Nottingham, #5)

At The Dying of The Year

(Richard Nottingham #5)

In the latest Richard Nottingham historical mystery, the Constable must track down a predatory child-killer roaming the city.
Leeds, 1733. Three children are found dead in a disused bell pit, their bodies battered and bruised, each of them stabbed through the heart. Fear, suspicion and violence tear at the city as Richard Nottingham, John Sedgwick and Rob Lister hunt a rut
Published June 1st 2013 by Creme de la Crime (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about At The Dying of The Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At The Dying of The Year

Linda Lanoue
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has turned into one of my favorite series. Always well researched, and gives a real feeling of time and place. This one was a bit of a shocker. Guess Nickson's readers shouldn't get too complacent about his recurring characters.
Cybercrone
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
These are getting better with each one.
Bob Harris
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really depressing story. Without giving away too much, it's fair to say there is terribly saddening deaths.
Brenda Selner
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good story, but I was really hoping they'd find evidence to convict. Prominent people getting away with murder, nothing new in the world...even today.
Annette S.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Richard Nottingham, constable of 1730s Leeds, has his most distressing case to date: the bodies of some young children have been found and according to the coroner, they had been abused before death. Nottingham and his officers are motivated to find the culprit so that no other child has to suffer what these youngsters did.
In order to find out more, Nottingham goes to the streets (where he once lived himself after the death of his mother, a prostitute) and tries to gain the trust of the ch
Kathleen
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So very glad that I was able to review this book, it was a wonderful read. I have already downloaded another in the series and know how many are left.

Chris Nickson said on a blog that Leeds is in his DNA and I know exactly what he means by that. His whole persona was developed from those who came before him in that city and locale. Richard Nottingham's character is a tribute to the author's innate knowledge of 18th century Leeds and its citizens.

The children of Leeds, fro
Pat
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The fifth in the Richard Nottingham mystery series set in England in the 1730s, this particular title deals with the poor and nearly forgotten residents of the village of Leeds. Without any sort of social support system in place, children were many times left on their own to scavenge for food, living in abandoned dwellings amidst squalor and filth. Not surprisingly, a number of them were taken advantage of and very few adults stood up for them in any way. The second theme has to do with the rich ...more
D.J.
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advance review copy of this book. It is by far the best in the Richard Nottingham series to date though it should be sold with a box of tissues! It wasn't so much the killings (which are as heart rending as in previous books) but the small acts of kindness sprinkled throughout the book which had me openly sobbing. The ending of the book is unexpected but perfect, and I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Mickey Hoffman
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written mystery novel set in Leeds, England in 1733.
I liked this better than his last book and will probably read a few more in the series.
Even though you know who the guilty party is before the book ends, which is an element I
usually don't like in a mystery, this book kept me avidly reading until the end.
Kaye
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
At The Dying of the Year is well researched and well written. You truly care about the characters and when they face unbearable sorrow you hurt along with them. The author has the ability to transport you back to this often harsh time in history with all of its sorrow and joy. I have enjoyed all of the Richard Nottingham books and look forward to the next one.
Brooke
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
A good, solid historical mystery. However, the focus on child murderers, the murder of one of the main characters, and vigilante justice will probably make this series too bleak and dark for me to return to.
Margaret M.
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is not an author I recall reading before (I do have to refer to my mystery fiction quarterly). I love English crime novels - always a treat. I think because this is a historical crime mystery and didn't quite follow a formula I was prepared for, I was less than enthusiastic about the story.
Spuddie
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sniffle, sniffle, sniffle..........waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! It's not very often a series mystery gets me to cry, but this one had me sobbing. Can't say more without a spoiler, so I won't. Love these characters and the series in general, set in Leeds in the 1730's.
Kamini Madansingh
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of Chris Nickson's best, his description of life in the 1700s is so vivid, you can feel the cold. It was difficult to put the book down once I started reading, very entertaining read.
Patricia O'Sullivan
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chris Nickson stretches his main character, Richard Nottingham, in this addition to the series. This is a sad book, but it also raises interesting questions about class bias and legal justice.
Arriann
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good story and interesting time-and-place setting. I would recommend it.
Chris Casper
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice change of pace for me. Well written mystery.
Brittany Wouters
Feb 09, 2018
Sue
Aug 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm a novelist and music journalist, the author of many books set between the 1730s and 1950s in Leeds, as well as others in medieval Chesterfield and 1980s Seattle.

Above all, though, its Leeds I love, the people, the sense of the place changing with time. Yes, I write mysteries, but ultmiateoly they're books about people and their relationships, and the crime becomes a moral framework

Richard Nottingham (7 books)
  • The Broken Token (Richard Nottingham, #1)
  • Cold Cruel Winter (Richard Nottingham, #2)
  • The Constant Lovers (Richard Nottingham, #3)
  • Come the Fear (Richard Nottingham, #4)
  • Fair and Tender Ladies (Richard Nottingham, #6)
  • Free from All Danger (Richard Nottingham, #7)