Start by marking “America's Real First Thanksgiving: St. Augustine, Florida, September 8, 1565” as Want to Read:
America's Real First Thanksgiving: St. Augustine, Florida, September 8, 1565

America's Real First Thanksgiving: St. Augustine, Florida, September 8, 1565

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
When most Americans think of the first Thanksgiving, they think of the Pilgrims and the Indians in New England in 1621. But fifty-six years before the Pilgrims celebrated, Spanish explorer Pedro Menendez arrived on the coast of Florida and founded the first North American city, St. Augustine.

On September 8, 1565, the Spanish and the native Timucua celebrated with a feast o
Published April 15th 2007 by Pineapple Press

To ask other readers questions about America's Real First Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America's Real First Thanksgiving

Linda Munro
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
First and foremost, I would like to apologize to anyone who has sent me a book that I have yet to review. Between taking two classes through coursera, illness, pain and deaths in my immediate family, I have had little time. Some, I have read and have yet to review. Others may simply be on my pile of too read books. I am slowly catching up….

About this book….

I found it on goodreads in the giveaway section and thought it would be a good book to read with my youngest (6 year-old) granddaughter. She
Kristi
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a concise and simple to read account of the exploration and settling of Spanish Florida. As the author notes, Thanksgiving rituals were part of Spanish exploration ritual, giving thanks for a safe journey to a new land. Though Florida was not a part of the original 13 British colonies that became the Unites States, the Thanksgiving celebration on September 8, 1565, at St. Augustine, Florida, was the first recorded Thanksgiving shared between European settlers and Native Americans in a pe ...more
Roberta
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
According to Robyn Gioia, the real first Thanksgiving in a permanent North America settlement took place on 9/8/1565 in St. Augustine, FL, 56 years prior to the Pilgrim's first Thanksgiving in Massachusetts. This book is full of Florida history and gives a totally different perspective on my favorite national holiday. A recipe for Cocido is included.
Terry
This is fascinating reading. The cover is deceptive, as I opened the book expecting a holiday story. Instead, I had a history and geography lesson! The maps are intriguing and could be a book until themselves.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Allison
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was received as a first reads giveaway book. Beautiful pictures and fascinating telling. I plan to put this aside for my babies for when they are school age.
Stephen
Dec 07, 2014
Addison Sheffield
Jun 24, 2018
Robyn
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marsha
  • Touch the Sky: Alice Coachman, Olympic High Jumper
  • One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages
  • Titanic
  • Hands Around the Library: Protecting Egypt’s Treasured Books
  • PhotoPlay!: Doodle. Design. Draw.
  • A Walk in London
  • My Bike
  • Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love
  • Compromise Cake: Lessons Learned from my Mother's Recipe Box
  • Out of Bounds
Award winning author, Robyn Gioia, grew up in the multicultural area around Ohio State University. One of her all-time favorite games was the trail of clues. She and her friends would spend hours writing riddles and clues to stump each other and then hide them in strategic places. Over the years, Robyn has served hamburgers at McDonalds, filed things for the magazine Highlights for Children, clerk ...more