Start by marking “Words to Winners of Souls” as Want to Read:
Words to Winners of Souls

Words to Winners of Souls

Horatius Bonar (1808-1889), a well-known Scottish minister, wrote this book during a period of awakening to counter the lamentable state of the Christian ministry at the time. His words of counsel are all the more apposite today with the Church in decline and superficiality becoming the order of the day. All witnessing believers will appreciate the stance advocated.

First p
Paperback
Published January 1st 1995 by P & R Publishing (first published December 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Words to Winners of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words to Winners of Souls

Todd Bryant
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was recently gifted this book by a good pastor friend. I had no idea of the content when he gave it to me. I thought it was geared more towards average Christian outreach. It is not.

This book is written primary for the church leader. I am not suggesting that others cannot benefit from it - they most certainly can. However, if you are an elder in a church, this book will challenge you. Our generation simply doesn't dwell on the things of God as much as we should.

I highly recommend this read -
Joel Huffstutler
Excellent

Very stirring and convicting

Good reminders to pastors of the importance of having a "living ministry" and a faithful one.
Ryan Hawkins
This little book is a wonderful jolt of earnestness. I absolutely love it. In summary, Bonar, relying heavily upon Baxter, writes about the urgency the church leader must have in their life, teaching, and ministry. He shows how lukewarm and cold we have become, and how absurd it is. He is bold and radical, but only as much as the Bible and logic would lead us to be.

He talks about how we must walk with God. On this, he says, "Without this nothing else will avail. Neither orthodoxy, nor learning,
Nathan Albright
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2018
As a lay member myself (if a particularly noisy one), I often wonder about the appropriateness of reading material like this that is obviously aimed at ordained ministers [1].  In this case, I have to say that this book is certainly the favorite by the author that I have read yet, especially because of the attitude of the book.  It is one thing to read a Calvinist lambasting anxious people and blaming them for a lack of faith--that just comes off as unseemly bullying--but when a Calvinist hellfi ...more
Brendan Westerfield
"How MUCH MORE would a few good and fervent men effect in the ministry than a multitude of lukewarm ones!"

So begins Horatius Bonar's little, (maybe even tiny), book "Words to the Winners of Souls." And it doesn't get any easier to digest from there. Bonar is a deep well of emotion and theology, who sees too frequently in peers a lukewarm ministry that reflects a lukewarm pastor. How can our preaching be so passionless and dull if eternal souls are at stake? How can "we see thousands perish aroun
Stephen Logan
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep and profound

The writing style requires strict attention to get the most out of it. Written. Mostly for ministers, laymen can certainly benefit. Be ready to be humbled by the contents.
Chrys Jones
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Earnest book on the spiritual duties vital to pastoral ministry. The chapter on pastoral confession is is worth its weight in gold.
Eric
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: annual-reread
Absolutely superb. Should be a regular read for pastors. It will stay on my annual re-read list.
Dougald
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This work by Horatius Bonar, a 19th century Scottish pastor, is all about encouraging its readers to treasure the gospel and to never tire in the labor for the gospel. Bonar's intended audience are ministers in churches. However, the book may be read by all Christians who desire to see their world impacted for the gospel.

Bonar first calls for ministers to focus on their one object: to win souls. In order to do this, the minister must first be a Christian. This may seem obvious but Bonar presses
Dave Sherrill
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bonar is one of my favorite Christian authors. While he may not be as academic as Calvin or as warm as Watson or as erudite as Owen, he writes with conviction drawn from the school of faith. This book is a very hard read, not because it is complicated. It isn't. It is so terribly convicting in the very best ways.

While the author falls into a bit of a trap with endorsing early morning prayer time as the best for everyone, this is a mild flaw and can be easily passed by. Bonar explores a pastoral
Jimmy
Feb 06, 2012 added it
This classic is a good read for the soul. This work asks some probing and convicting questions for the preacher and the pastor whose responsibility is to see men know the Gospel and Jesus Christ. There are sins of commission (sins that involves our active participation) and sins of omissions (sins when we do not do what we are obligated to do). There were times when I read this book I had to pause, search my soul before God, repent, pray to God and also heavily burdened to pray for others. This ...more
Jeff Short
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evangelism, pastoral
An older preacher brother gave me this little book. He told me he had read it several times and would read it more. That piqued my interest, but once I started reading, it didn't take long to give my consent. This book is challenging and convicting just the way we need it. It's a good book to read around the end of the year to challenge you to the year ahead.

It is short so it can be read quickly and it will minister to your soul. If nothing else, I would recommend reading Bonar's section on bar
Jason Farley
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evangelism
This is my first experience with Horatius. Really, really great stuff. I will definitely be rereading this one a number of times. He is focusing on turning pastors into evangelists (which is sorely needed). Really great stuff.
JR
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick read. Very humbling. A call to earnestness in ministry, to reject levity and prayerlessness and seek to carry out the task of preaching and evangelism with urgency, compassion, zeal and tears.
Eli
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
An urgent plea for evangelism.
Douglas Wilson
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very good.
Josh
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good, and very challenging. Bonar doesn't pull many punches in indicting the sins that hinder ministerial effectiveness. But stirring as well as challenging.
John
Jul 06, 2012
Josh Wester
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Horatius Bonar (19 December, 1808 – 31 May, 1889) was a Scottish churchman and poet.

The son of James Bonar, Solicitor of Excise for Scotland, he was born and educated in Edinburgh. He comes from a long line of ministers who have served a total of 364 years in the Church of Scotland. One of eleven children, his brothers John James and Andrew Alexander were also ministers of the Free Church of Scotl
“It is not opinions that man needs: it is TRUTH. It is not theology; it is God. It is not religion: it is Christ. It is not literature and science; but the knowledge of the free love of God in the gift of His only-begotten Son.” 17 likes
“Bold preaching is the only preaching that is owned of God.” 3 likes