Start by marking “The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)

The Courtship of Princess Leia

(Star Wars Universe)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  12,210 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
Seeking rich, powerful allies to bring into the Rebel Alliance and a new home planet for the refugees of her native Alderaan, Princess Leia considers a proposal that could tip the balance of power against the evil Empire. The Hapes Consortium of 63 worlds is ruled by the Queen Mother, who wants Leia to marry her son, the dashing and wealthy Prince Isolder. Han Solo has alw ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published May 1995 by Bantam Spectra (first published April 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Courtship of Princess Leia, please sign up.
Izzy Washington I'd try Tatooine Ghost, more recently Bloodline. Bloodline isn't as focused on their love story but it's still great. It also features Ben Solo
Izzy Washington I'd try out the Legacy Of The Force series. It features both beloved Leia and Mara Jade, Luke's eventual wife.
Heir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnPath of Destruction by Drew KarpyshynThe Last Command by Timothy ZahnDark Force Rising by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James Luceno
Best Star Wars Books
403 books — 1,112 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenEnder's Game by Orson Scott Card1984 by George OrwellBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Best Ending
1,262 books — 1,855 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
One of the best "Star Wars" novels!

BEGINNING THE PATH OF THE FORCE

This was my very first novel about Star Wars!

When I read it, back then in 1996, therefore it has always been very special to me.

I chose it since by then I knew that Han and Leia had married at some time and they have kids, but I wondered how they tied the knot, and certainly when you have characters as Han and Leia, I was sure that it couldn't been your typical "courtship".

So, when I saw the book in a bookstore, I didn't medit
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
To call this fanfiction is an insult to fanfiction

And somehow this book is on so many "best-of-Star-Wars Expanded Universe" lists, and everyone's all nostalgic about it??

Look at it:

description

Let's examine the main elements of this cover.
- Han Solo in a turtleneck
- Princess Leia in a wedding dress that doesn't look like it's going to stay on
- R2D2 and some stormtroopers looking lost as heck (there are no stormtroopers in the book)
- Alien Micheal Bolton

description

I should have known better. I really should have. But
Meggie
Feb 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: borrowed, fiction, sci-fi
I'll start out with some The Courtship of Princess Leia trivia, courtesy of the Star Wars wiki: Dave Wolverton was originally contracted to write a trilogy, which was canceled. Because of the numerous plot threads running through this novel, it's been suggested that CoPL is the conglomeration of that trilogy. The paperback cover was also changed--from the original one, featuring wedding dress Leia, Blade Runner Han, and Fabio-esque Isolder, to a more action-orientated cover with rancors and the ...more
Allison
May 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy-sf
I've seen a lot of reviews comparing this book to fan fiction. I think that's really doing an injustice to authors of fan fiction.
jessie
Jun 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: masochists
This book hurts my brain. I don't buy Wolverton's characterization of Han and Leia for a second. Also, there are witches? A planet of Amazonian female witches? Seriously? The EU novels are basically published fan fiction and, honestly, I've read better on the internets.
Crystal Starr Light
"I'm supposed to be happy that we're going to crash into the planet instead of blow up in space?"
My quest to review all the previous Star Wars Expanded Universe books I read in my teenaged years continues!
Leia Organa has been campaigning to get the powerful Hapan Cluster to aid the New Republic in its fight against the Imperial Remnant led by Warlord Zsinj. Things somewhat backfire when the Queen agrees...under the condition that Leia marry the Queen's son and heir, Prince Isolder. Han, being ou
Matt
Oct 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: night-soil
If zero stars were an option that is what this book would warrant. Nigh on one hundred pages in, and I simply put could not suffer through anymore because I am a Star Wars fan and this book was doing as good a job as Lucas and his recent film outings to extinguish that love permanently.

I have never read any Dave Wolverton before, and given the poor quality of writing exhibited in this book he is an author I will stay away from in the future. Not only did I not care for him on a craft level as it
Tor.com Publishing
To be honest I barely remember the plot of this book, but it had Dark Side witches riding on Rancors, & what else do you want? There's not much else I want from the Star Wars EU than that. -MK.
Lisa Brown
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Although it was not the most well written of the Star Wars books I have read, it was what sucked me into reading them in the first place. I am a sucker for romance, and you just can't beat it between Han and Leia.

In this book, they have drifted apart though the business of their duties, but Han is forced to go to extreme measures when Leia is about to be married of to the Prince of the Happes Consortium. After a winning her a planet in a sabac game, he kidnapps her and takes her to it, which is
Katie
Um, so the premise of this doesn't make sense. Leia gets an offer of marriage from this prince and, at first, it's played as if this is something she is considering for political reasons. Which would make sense and be a good conflict! But suddenly she starts to have feelings for him right away??? (He's already in love with after seeing her once or something.) I seriously thought there was some mind control going on here because I didn't buy it at all.

Meanwhile, everyone (including Leia!) acts as
Amy Rae
Nov 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
...Well, that certainly was an experience. I'm so glad this book isn't canon anymore.

I have no idea how to even begin summarizing this experience, so I think we're just going to have to list things out.

Good things about this book

1. This book invented the Nightsisters. And the Nightsisters are awesome. I love their interpretation of the Force as magic, and I think they have a lot of really interesting potential.

2. I was warned that Luke gets raped by Nightsisters in this book, but he doesn't. B
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just want everyone to know that I checked this book out of the library every other month and all I wanted from life was the wedding dress Leia is wearing on the cover.

Jerry
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Synopsis: After the death of Darth Vader and the Emperor, what is left of the Empire is still fighting against the weakened Alliance. Leia finds a cluster of planets known as the Hapes consortium that could give her aid, but, in order to seal the deal, she must marry the Queen Mother's son. None too happy about it, Han takes her to the planet of Dathomir, which appears beautiful, but has some dark secrets that will threaten not only the two of them, but also Luke.

My Review: This was relatively m
Shadowdenizen
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
12-28-16: Orginally read ages ago, but reread upon the recent death of Carrie Fisher. While Fisher was and will always be an icon, (May she rest in peace!!)this book remains pretty terrible.

Anyone have any GOOD EU books (or comics) featuring Leia prominently?
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. It picks up right where "Return of the Jedi" leaves off, and it is such a fun read for fans of the films.
Scott Rhee
Dave Wolverton has the distinction of having written one of the cheesiest and worst Star Wars Expanded Universe novels that I have read so far. I'm probably being generous giving this a two-star rating.

"The Courtship of Princess Leia" is, as the title suggests, the story of how Han Solo eventually woos Leia's hand in marriage. Published in 1994, "TCOPL" takes place two years after the events of the film "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi". Rumor has it that Wolverton intended it to be a t
Rachel
Sep 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
You couldn't set out to craft a book better designed to extinguish my Star Wars obsession than this particular offering. Blech.

First, Wolverton has no clear concept of who Leia is and what makes her tick. He tries to pretend that Leia could not love Han after the ending of Jedi, and even seriously consider marrying someone else. Hogwash.

Second, he spends more time in the heads of Han, Luke, and the would-be wooer (even C-3PO!) than he does in Leia's head, although given his already stated inadeq
Nicole
The first "Star Wars Extended Universe" book I ever read (May 1995). I was surprised to like it, and it led to me reading more EU books. This one I had to reread largely for the Han Solo and C-3PO sections, which I found really funny. But Isolder is such an oaf!
Trisha
Jun 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
I totally geeked out on SW books back in the 90's and this one was my favorite. There's romance <3 and witches! and it's totally Han-centric! What more could you want.
Styler Ribarovic
May 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DID NOT FINISH. If the thread of misogyny that weaves its way throughout this insipid tale doesn't delight you then perhaps the thrilling manner in which your favs are written completely out of character will enchant you instead.
Eric Farr
Apr 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I couldn't help myself. I had to read a bad Star Wars book. This delivered. I'm going to post my thoughts on it here, but to be honest, my opinions largely mirror those of other, better reviewers. There will not be much new here in my condemnation of this novel.

To be honest, I just wanted to see the now non-canon story of how Leia and Han actually married. I've read so much Zahn lately, and in those books Leia and Han are an established, loving couple, and I got to see the development of Mara an
Bailey Marissa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, new-adult
It's been quite a few years since I've read this (and I'll probably go back and reread this), but this was the story that sold me on the Han x Leia relationship. I always shipped them in the movies and knew that they got together and had a family, but it was reading this book that made me ship them and be one of my favorite couples.

Also, I'm mad that the EU imploded so Disney didn't use this story for Eps 7, 8, and 9.

Recommended 13+ for romance (again, I don't remember anything besides the main
Jessamyn Leigh
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
What a hot space mess of a book.

The writing was straight-up weird, and everyone---with the possible exception of Luke, were hilariously out of character. I do see why Dathomir gets used in a lot of other Star Wars material, the world-building was the only good thing about this book.

Basically this book was on crack but I'm Star Wars trash so I had a good time reading it.
Sean
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you read one Star Wars book, read Shatterpoint. If you read two, read this one. Who knew that a good romance could be made out of the events leading up to Han and Leia's wedding? Brilliant action, a cool alien society, and Luke and Han at top form.
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sure, I'm a girl who loves Leia and Han. OF COURSE I WOULD LOVE THIS BOOK. Some of the most romantic dialogue ever uttered on screen was from this couple. I love Amazons in Greek mythology-- but Amazon witches? Weird. Very enjoyable!
Hunter Beck
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: sciencefiction
One of my favorites in the Star Wars fiction line.

We get to see Han and Leia's romance flourish - and we travel to the incredibly interesting world of Dathomir.
B. Barceló
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
El argumento principal de esta historia es algo flojo comparado con el resto de libros que expanden el universo de Star Wars. Los motivos que llevan a nuestros personajes al mundo donde se origina la historia es bastante burdo y podría haberse construido de alguna otra manera.
También decir que el final y el combate con el señor de la guerra Zsinj me parece muy triste. Sin contar que este señor de la guerra podía haber sido un verdadero villano que durara más de un libro. Alguien capaz de doblega
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, star-wars
Sometimes I was like man I’m so glad the EU was discarded and this book never officially happened. And then sometimes I think about TLJ and I wish that the EU still happened. But I love one (1) couple and I’m glad they’re now happily married in the EU (glares at sequel trilogy).
Shala
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars. I enjoyed my experience reading this. I loved seeing the banter between Han and Leia.I know their relationship has never been perfect, but I still love seeing this.
Daniel Clark
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved how the first part of this book was like a romantic comedy. It is always great to see Star Wars characters taken into other genres.
The Courtship of Princess Leia: Dave Wolverton 12 52 Apr 02, 2015 07:32AM
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars: The Callista Trilogy, #2)
  • Shield of Lies
  • Tatooine Ghost
  • Children of the Jedi (Star Wars: The Callista Trilogy, #1)
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3)
  • The Crystal Star (Star Wars)
  • I, Jedi (Star Wars)
Dave Wolverton (born 1957) is a science fiction author who also goes under the pseudonym David Farland for his fantasy works. He currently lives in St. George, Utah with his wife and five children.

(Wikipedia entry: Dave Wolverton)

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest
  • Knight Errant
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Darth Plagueis
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Never concede to evil…. When we concede to evil, even in a small way, we feed it, and it grows stronger.” 28 likes
“I warn you, the trip will not be easy. Once you choose to walk in the light, your path will lead you places you do not want to go.” 22 likes