Start by marking “Hiding in Sunshine” as Want to Read:
Hiding in Sunshine

Hiding in Sunshine

This taut thriller follows a family’s eleven-year odyssey on the run under assumed identities, where survival skills are paramount, but so are friendship, cooperation, and resilience. HIDING IN SUNSHINE celebrates one family’s abiding courage in the face of abject treachery -- and a young girl’s faith in the triumph of the truth.
Published October 30th 2012 by AuthorHouse (first published October 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hiding in Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiding in Sunshine

Starlette Teater
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Starlette by: Influenster
I received this book from Influenster for testing purposes and it was amazing. It is a bit slow at the beginning (the first five chapters), but it quickly picks up into a fast-paced, suspense-filled piece of fictional gold. The character development is extraordinary, the plot lines are complicated and challenging, and the vocabulary of the books challenges the reader. As a college student, I did not expect to be challenged by a book that appears to be aimed at young adults, but there were terms ...more
Lorrie
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
Good book!! Although it is written by a father/daughter duo, the book is not your "Goodnight Moon" sort of book. It's about cyber technology, stolen identity, witness protection, survival, affluence, and intelligence. I was hooked right from the start and couldn't wait to pick it up each time I had a moment to read during this busy Christmas holiday season.

There were times towards the middle of the book when I just wanted to discount the Stuarts' incredible intelligence and call them a little n
Dylan
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I was skeptical when I was first given this book by a friend... but after exhausting my other reading material during a long few days of traveling, I turned to Hiding in Sunshine and I was pleasantly surprised. It starts off a bit slowly, but the payoff - particularly in the middle 80-or-so percent of the book is completely worth it. I'm not particularly tech savvy so I was worried that a lot of the book might be over my head, but the authors do a good job of keeping the tech detai ...more
Nicole
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect after learning that the book was written by a man and his teenage daughter. What I got was a smart, fast-paced technological thriller and an ending with a surprising twist.
 The worst thing I can say about this book is that some of the computer jargon went right over my head, but that's hardly the fault of the authors.
Dianne
Cyber crime at its ugliest! Ever wonder what happens with all that data out there? Who can actually access it? What would happen if it all got in the wrong hands? What if those you trusted became your enemies? What if no one was there to be in your corner when your family's lives were on the line?

Gavin and Lisa Brinkley lived a well-earned lifestyle of the rich. Gavin is a computer genius who has developed security programs for companies and financial institutions all around the globe. He is abl
Sharon Hughes
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a free gift from Influenster a few days ago with no real requirement that I had to do anything with it, but I love to read and I love free books so I gave it a go! Based on the cover, I would have probably passed this book by in the store, but I am so glad that I got this as a gift so I could give it a chance, because it was well worth it!

The book, "Hiding in Sunshine" is written by John and Caitlin Stuart, who are Father and Daughter. The Father is into technology, the d
Amanda
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-2013
I received this book from Influenster as part of their voxbox. If I had been in the bookstore the cover wouldn't have drawn me in and I would have probably looked right over it. Being an avid reader though, I gave it a go! By reading the synopsis I was intrigued to see what this father/ daughter duo would write, especially since it is hailed as being a suspense novel.

The first few chapters are pretty slow given that the authors try to paint a vivid portrait of the main characters and their lives
Michelle
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: zz2014-read
This book had such potential to be a really great thriller. The cyber crime element is such a relevant issue for today but unfortunately it was just paced in such a slow and tedious manner that I had to literally force myself to keep reading and finish it.
I think I'm just not used to this type of writing style. I felt like I was reading a report or essay at some points. Some paragraphs were so conversational that it was like they were written in the way that people would talk when face to face w
Andrea
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I hadn’t actually read the description ahead of time so I really had no idea what to expect and I enjoyed that complete element of surprise. From the beginning, I was hooked and couldn’t really stop reading, I NEEDED to know what was going to happen to this family. Gavin and Lisa Brinkley are an affluent couple who try to lead quiet lives; Gavin has numerous highly lucrative patents but they try to stay off the radar and prefer to avoid media attention. As a couple that is not ...more
Buffy
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
While the book definitely wouldn't be my first choice in regards to genre, it definitely sucks you in! I know very little, really next-to-nothing, about the banking industry or technology and the cyber-universe, so I didn't think I'd be able to finish the book. About 75 pages in, I couldn't put it down! A lot of twists and turns, suspense, and at least somewhat realistic plot changes that leave you spinning! I passed the book on to my husband who also enjoyed it, and then gave it over to another ...more
Michelle Michal Ramos
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book--it sucked me into the story immediately and was surprised to finish it in just a day. The story of a family changed and challenged by greed and hackable systems preys on the fears of paranoid readers--if a successful computing expert can't protect himself, what hope do the rest of us have? The ending stretched belief just a little bit but it was still a good read. I'm trying to get my husband to read it because he's more paranoid than I and it's right up his alley. I receive ...more
Amber Rosser
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift from Influenster. I was hooked on reading this book from the start. I enjoyed this book from the beginning I loved the characters. The story line was very interesting and I found it hard to put this book down. This book kept me on the edge of my seat and really opened my eyes to this very real threat. I was surprised about how the book ended. This was a great book from beginning to end. You should definitely get a copy of this book you wont be sorry! Great work, I ...more
J. Ewbank
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent read by John and Caitlin Stewart. Set in the electronic and computer driven times it shows what could happen when bad guys try to overcome many of the worls's processes driven by computers and electronics. Think of banks, the government, lives that contain information on computers etc... A riveting story and one that unfortunately, tells us just what could happen in the near future. I enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesley's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the
Ashley Rheiner
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story line was an awesome idea and sounded incredibly intriguing, but it was written in a way that was next to impossible for me to get into. Plot lines didn't make sense, it seemed very forced, and very much long an extremely young young adult novel. This had so much potential but sadly just didn't make it.
Chigirl66
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Intense, drama and real life tech world scenarios. Book made me think how easy I put my personal information on the web making it easy for hackers to get the information. I read the book over a weekend because I couldn't put it down. Interesting storyline and great twisted ending. If you like interesting, intense, drama books then Hiding in Sunshine is for you.
Jeff Cappie
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a very good one. It was a very eventful one, telling the story of Rose Campbell's life. It is filled with lots of action and detailed scenery. I enjoyed the book a lot and would definitely read a sequel if there was one.
Christy Davall
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hiding in Sunshine by John and Caitlin Stuart was an overall good read and turned into a real page turner. It started off slow but quickly picked that pace up and became a nice thriller novel. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers and up and coming authors.
Eileen
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Thriller and Suspense Readers
Recommended to Eileen by: Net Galley
Description
Living lives of quiet affluence in a historic, suburban Boston town, Gavin and Lisa Brinkley had no idea how quickly and decisively their lives, and those of their two young daughters, could be upended. A series of events - a mysterious break-in at their home, some menacing tailgating on the highway from Boston, a startling visit from an F.B.I. agent warning of an imminent kidnapping attempt - leads to the family's abrupt uprooting from its comfortable existence into a terrifying new
Anna
Dec 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Won this book in a Goodreads.com giveaway!

I REALLY wanted to like this book. I sincerely did. I had cover love for it, the summary was exciting, there's a secret organization, there's conspiracy, and computers and bank robberies which you think would make it modern. And in a way, I felt that this story was handled to make it look as realistic as possible. That means every possible angle was explained, every piece of terminology, every move the characters made. Explanations are important so that
Nick Turner
Gavin is a wealthy inventor, a winner in the lottery of life, who moves with his family from California on the West Coast of America to Concord, an historic town in New England, on the East Coast. The narrative belabours the benefits of personal wealth although it can be read as a dissection of unthinking entitlement. There is some risk of boring less advantaged readers and losing the sympathy for the protagonist which (presumably) is intended.

The character looks like a cowboy hacker in a demon
Gayle Pace
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
REVIEW:

This was a very enjoyable book. It was written by a father-daughter combination. The book is very easy to read and it makes you stop and think. The country's financial institutions are being cyber-attacked and is making quite an impact. There is a financial war going on and the authors show its impact on the confidences placed on just the basic institutions. The book opens your eyes to the real world we are living in. The story is about a family and what happens when identity theft hits.
Michelle C
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I would like to say I am an avid reader and love thrillers, psychological thrillers, etc. My favorite authors being Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Clive Cussler, among others.

Hiding In Sunshine is a well thought out book written by a father/daughter duo. While a bit skeptical on how their writing styles would "mesh", they seem to have done a fairly good job.

The book is about Gavin, Lisa, and their two daughters that get caught up in a dangerous and deadly turn of events. They must learn to ada
Brenda
Gavin Brinkley, wife Lisa and their two daughters were very well off, with Gavin being a genius in his field of IT, science and anything requiring the knowledge of same. The family income was from patents of seventeen different success stories over the years, which kept them very well, so that the mansion they moved to in Concord was well within their means.

The lives of luxury, of a private school for their eldest daughter, four vehicles, Lisa’s jewellery, and anything else they wanted or needed
Jill Daw
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book from the start; the topic seemed interesting enough but I'm really not into the whole tech crimes aspect that were central to the book. The fact that it was written by a father/daughter team was appealing and the premise (family on the run) seemed like something that I might enjoy. I really wanted to like it but in the end, this book just wasn't for me.

I found the pace of the book to be too slow. I must have picked up the book a dozen or so tim
Bridget
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I really wanted to like this book. The premise was so interesting, and I love me a good thriller. I was also intrigued by the fact that this was written by a father-daughter team, and I thought that was kinda cool. But this, frankly, was anything but.

First of all, the characters are all 100% flat and not developed at all. It’s like they didn’t even try. Everyone was characterized by exactly one (or maybe, maybe two) traits. Caitlin is smart. Lisa is frustrated. Gavin is brilliant. Blah blah blah
Katelyn
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hiding In Sunshine was written by a father daughter team, John and Caitlin Stuart. It is centered around one family who leads an extremely comfortable life, the father having great success with patents for his technological inventions. Their life gets suddenly turned upside down when they are told they are kidnapping targets and need to go into hiding.
The premise sounds interesting, but the story did not hold my attention like I had hoped, and at times the writing was awkward for a novel. Multip
Emily
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads program. I wanted to read it, I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

The book started slow. Strong maybe, vivid descriptions, but slow. When a new character was introduced, we learned way too much about their back story. I felt like it took forever to bring us to the promised action.

But when we finally got there, I just didn't feel it. The authors' focus on setting and description seemed to just go by the wayside and we and the family were expec
Feb 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book isn't really a thriller. Fast paced it is not. It is hard to feel sorry for family that has to go into hiding, while they whine (externally or internally) about losing their first class life for a quiet, internet free middle class life. They spend 11 years in (terror) but do nothing about it but complain for the majority of the book.

I read it hoping that it would pick up, but found that the book is one long rant. A rant against the government. A rant against internet privacy rights. I
Ashley Marie
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I read the description of this book and the back jacket, I was worried. I am not the biggest fan of techie pieces or thrilling mystery type pieces. I am more a fan of big, complex plots with numerous characters and twists. To be honest, I was afraid it was going to be a little cheesy.

Boy was I wrong! Although the story was slow to start, once it picked up the plot was thrilling and enthralling. The incorporation of the government memos and the side stories that build up the main story reall
Shannon
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Influenster to review and I'm so glad that I did. It is not a book that I normally would have gone for on my own, but it was a great read. I am excited to see what the authors, a father daughter duo, come up with in the future. It was a good change from the science fiction and fantasy that I normally read. I normally read fast paced action or science fiction and fantasy books filled with otherworldly creatures. This is firmly planted is reality with real people with rea ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Something Old, So...: November 2013 - Hiding in Sunshine by John Stuart 4 9 Feb 12, 2014 12:29AM
  • Unreliable
  • A Killer's Grace
  • A Pocket Full Of Needles
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • If Only
  • Henry Franks
  • Sting of the Drone (Ray Bowman, #1)
  • Beginning With the End: A Memoir of Twin Loss and Healing
  • The Hot Mess  (Peri Minneopa Mystery, #3)
  • The Parts I Remember (The Parts I Remember, #1)
  • Attorney-Client Privilege (Vernetta Henderson, #4)
  • Island Fever
  • Mindy's Musings
  • Take Me to the Castle
  • Thy Neighbor
  • In His Stead (A Father's War)
  • Sons and Princes
  • Nose
Hiding in Sunshine is the work of a father and daughter duo who reside in the immediate area where these fictional events transpire. John Stuart is a successful high tech entrepreneur.