Start by marking “Conflicting Hearts” as Want to Read:
Conflicting Hearts

Conflicting Hearts

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for 9780988573802.

Rachel Hayward hoped to have a quiet thirtieth birthday alone. Instead, fate had different plans.

Caught in traffic and late for work, she can do nothing except wait for the freeway gridlock to ease. A three-car pileup has caused the snarl. Just as cars begin to move at a faster clip, Rachel takes her eyes off the
Published November 11th 2012 by Holland Legacy Publishing (first published November 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Conflicting Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conflicting Hearts

Lorna
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars! Pretty much listened all night without stopping. Very good listen, but could have triggers for some people. (Child sexual abuse survivor) Still, it was,for me, a good romance. And as always, narration by Andi Arndt was 5 stars for me. She's just the best and a favorite of mine. Part of the Audible Romance Package.
S.N. McKibben
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dear J.D.Burrows;

Even without the clip about your this story based off your real-life abuse, I would have thought you were writing from experience. This was really a great read.

You delve deep into the very serious issue of sexual abuse. I experienced the thoughts and fears of your main character as she spirals from darkness of self-loathing into a healthy young woman dealing with her issues.

Usually, I really don't like stories about abused women, but this character felt very real and likable w
Julia Spring
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-to-reread
I got it this novel for free on Kindle, thankfully for it would have been more disappointing to have actually bought it. I had digitally shelved it for months after I first acquired it and decided to crack it open last night. It only took two hours to read, and mainly because I was racing to see if any of the characters developed more depth. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book. I do have a soft spot for melodramatic, modern damsel-in-emotional distress stories but one major aspect of this book ...more
Taylor Fulks
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of this fantastic novel, as that's the format I prefer when I'm busy. I figured I would listen a little each day during some free moments. That didn't happen! I couldn't put it down and listened to the entire book in one day!

A fender-bender on the road, brings Rachel (an administrative assistant) and Ian (a promininant attorney) together by accident. Ian persues a relationship with the very reluctant Rachel, and finally succeeds in winning her trust. But when the
Melissa
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-gave-away
I won this book from the Goodreads giveaway.

This was a nice book about overcoming a bad childhood and opening yourself up to new relationships. While I did enjoy that aspect of the story, I had a hard time getting into the characters and the relationship seemed very rushed and not really developed. Ian should have been a great character but he wasn't ever fully developed beyond being a nice guy but he came off as a nice guy with no sustance which was a big let down.
J. Grayland
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm torn with this book the romance between broken Racheal and gentleman Ian had a great story concept I just found both characters a little boring and repetitive and sometimes stagnant, plus there was a bit to much reference to God for me, the only thing that saved it was the narrator Andi Arndt that is always brilliant.
Helen Stothard
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite a tough book to read as the lead character Rachel, who is only 30, is trying to come to terms with having been abused since she was a child. Having met her share of wrong men she cannot believe that Ian really is as good as he seems.

It's handled pretty well, it's more about emotions than it is sex, and the counselling sessions are interesting without being too detailed.

Predictable ending but I enjoyed the book.
Janey
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a refreshing, honestly written book, the subjects covered, abuse and mental health were dealt with really well and the story of Ian and Rachel was lovely to read, I really felt for Rachel and what she had been through, I was rooting for her through all her challenges she faces to deal with her past, hopeful she can then have a future with Ian, so glad i read it, definate TBR.
Christina Lyn
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the toughest book I've read so far. The thought of someone like Rachel experienced it in a very young age really traumatized her. I broke my heart and most of the time I can't help myself to cry to her. For Ian who stays for her through out the end I admire him and so lucky they bumped into each other. At the end I'm happy for Rachel for her own happy ending come true.
Tracy Lundy-Munn
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book with an interesting storyline. Absolutely adored the love between Ian & Rachel!! He saw who she was faults and all and she wanted to be ok because he loved her!! Would definitely recommend!!
I.berryman
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. My heart went out to Rachel as she struggled with her abusive past and the constant fight within herself to be loved by someone and feel worthy of their love. Definitely worth the read!!
Cecile hardinger
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a tough book to read but it was a great read. Love Ian and how he is towards Rachel. I read it and it just breaks my heart to know that things like what Rachel has gone through, people out there has gone thru.
InD'tale Magazine
Author J.D. Burrows does a great job portraying the conflicting emotions of an abuse victim in “Conflicting Hearts.”

Read full review in the 2014/2015 Holiday issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Dena
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-and-loved
It's a really great story with a a woman trying to love since her abuse. Worth the read, you would not be disappointed.
Lynn
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
dnf. got 80% through it but couldn't finish it.. i got bored with her issues.
Robin Catrett
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story about overcoming ones past to move forward into a healthy relationship. Wish it had Ian's point of view though would really like to read that.
Laura Hansen
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every women should read this book. No child or women should every be abused. This was a great love story also. I started reading it last night and couldn't put it down.
Laura McMillin
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly beautiful!
Ian & Rachel's story is definitely an eye opener. It is one that will absolutely stick with me. Author did amazing bringing this love story to fruition.
Lindsey
Amazon Freebie 8/2/13
Chaundra Dotts
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I loved this book. It was filled with romance, sadness, and happiness. I haven't read a book in a while and I'm glad I choose this book. It was everything and more.
Barbara H. Oliver
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.

The characters were very believable. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Had never read this author. Now I will be looking for other books by J.D. Borrows.
Eva Gonzales
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love

Love how 2different people from 2 different kind of world meet and made it work! Read the whole book in 1 setting!
Raine

• More Than One Night
  • She Likes It Irish
  • The Phantom Of Valletta
  • Not A Chance
  • Interrupted (Progress, #2)
  • Beautiful Downfall
  • Being Chased (CEP, #1)
  • Fair Play (Diamond, #1)
  • Touch of Eden
  • It's In His Kiss
  • Fringe Benefits
  • The Brevity of Roses (Bay of Dreams, #1)
  • Can't Let Go
  • Seeing Stars
  • Jake (California Dreamy, #1)
  • Captive Spirit
Readers’ Favorite is proud to announce that “Conflicting Hearts” by J. D. Burrows won the Finalist Award in the Fiction – Social Issues category.

Conflicting Hearts is a true tale of childhood sexual abuse set within a fictional world. It's a taboo subject, but sadly true that one out of four little girls in today's society will be sexually abused by their eighteenth birthday. The selfish act has a