Start by marking “Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets, #1)

Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,089 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews

Former F
Published June 1st 2013 by Revell Books

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Devotion

Sarah Grace
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for mild violence and romance
This was so fun!

Somehow, Orchard's writing style always has me laughing . . . This author has a crazy fun way with words.

But what really makes her novels are her characters. Kate was so sweet, innocent, and naive. I loved how clueless she was. I'm frankly tired of the tough, I-can-do-it-all-myself, I'm-so-smart female MCs, so this was a refreshing change. Tom Parker was also a fabulous and well-rounded character, and I really liked him a lot. His backstory was great.

The mystery was fun, and ke
Olivia
A typical mystery story. Tom, is an FBI, and Katie wants to prove that her friend was murdered...but too many people look suspicious.
The book doesn't quite finish as there is a sequel, but at least you get to know who killed Daisy. I thought there should have been a little more of a spiritual aspect to this book. The first half hardly even mentioned God at all, but the author brought in some good lessons at the end.
Brittany
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Deadly Devotion is the first book in the Port Aster Secrets series and is also the first book that I have read by Sandra Orchard. I definitely enjoyed it and will be reading more of her books in the future.

The author had me, and the main characters, guessing and following different leads throughout the entire book! Kate and Tom truly had their hands full. There were so many people and potential motives that these two had to sort through.

Deadly Devotion really captured my interest. I was very sur
Cathy Daniel
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, this book was SO good! I have to admit it was hard to get into at first. Kate seemed kind of dumb (she redeemed herself!) and the characters seemed confusing and I felt like there was a back story I was missing (there is one but it is going to unfold in the following books I'm sure) about halfway through it REALLY got good and I was so hooked! I am so glad I have book 2 ready to go!
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Research scientist Kate Adams and her colleague Daisy are on the brink of a breakthrough for treating depression with herbal medicine when Daisy suddenly dies. Kate knows that if it hadn’t been for Daisy’s mentorship, she wouldn’t have the job she loves or the faith she clings to. So when police rule Daisy’s death a suicide, Kate is determined to unearth the truth.
Former FBI agent Tom Parker finds it hard to adjust to life back in his hometown of Port Aster. Though an old buddy
Victoria
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 15+
I don't understand why... I couldn't figure this one out! Although I had lots of suspects and suspicions. The author did a stupendous job with the spiritual, romance, and mystery aspect in this novel. Kate and Tom were so cute together! I recommend to any fellow murder mystery readers!
Victoria Lynn
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, suspence
It has been a while since I have read this, but I remember enjoying it a lot! It was a good mystery with lots of twists. I do know there was something content wise, but I don't remember what. . . LOL! I know, super helpful review! :)
Nancee
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kate Adams had become close friends with her mentor, Daisy Leacock, as they worked together in a research laboratory testing herbs as possible medicinal treatments. They were close to a breakthrough in a treatment for depression when Daisy was discovered dead. An investigation ensued, but with no evidence to indicate foul play aside from a cup of tea, the case was closed and Daisy's death was ruled a suicide. Kate knew her friend's strong spiritual beliefs and refused to believe that her mentor' ...more
Katy Lee
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge tea drinker, but Sandra Orchard’s latest suspense series, the Port Aster Secrets, now has me questioning every ingredient that fills my teabags. The titles of the teas on my canisters all sound delightful, but after reading the first book in Sandra’s series, Deadly Devotion, I have to question what exactly goes into my African Autumn Surprise teabags…eeeek!

Deadly Devotion is the first book in a three-book mystery series in which a romance arcs the series, along with an underlying sus
Marji Laine
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sandra Orchard casts a delicious mystery in a picturesque town just north of the Canadian border. Port Aster is the quaint tourist village expected from travel magazines. But like the dilapidated buildings covered by the street-front facades, there's a lot more going on there than visitors can see. Things aren't always what they seem to be. A theme that echoes throughout this story.

Full of twisted sub-plots and unexpected laughs, the story baffles, as a good mystery should. Tom and Kate waffle b
Natalie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book went in circles. Kate suspects a person, follows or stalks that person, determines that person is innocent and then suspects that individual again. It got very tiresome after a while.

Tom is quite the bumbling detective, especially for a guy who used to be in the FBI. He's just not very good at crime fighting.

The mystery was not as thrilling as I thought it would be. I solved the crime almost immediately and it annoyed me that it took Kate and Tom so long to catch up.

I also didn't lik
Dawn
Deadly Devotion - A Review

Research scientist, Kate Adams, is shocked when her mentor dies suddenly in what the police have ruled as a suicide. Kate knows that Daisy didn't kill herself and is determined that the police re-open the case. Former FBI agent Tom Parker is reluctant to reopen the case. Yet when he discovers Kate investigating on her own, he unofficially reopens the case. As Kate and Tom investigate, someone feels that Kate has stumbled too close to the truth and wants her silenced -
Donna (More Than a Review)
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Deadly Devotion is book one in the Port Aster series. I was able to download it for free when book three came out. It is a suspenseful mystery with a sweet romance.

I loved Kate from the opening scene where she is trying to convince Tom to reopen the case. Kate is convinced that her mentor Daisy did not kill herself and or carelessly mix chemicals that killed her. Kate and Daisy have been working on a cure for treating depression with herbal medicine and they were getting close.
Tom is a former
Margaret Chind
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Margaret by: Donna Hausler
It’s always interesting going into a new series, but even more so when it’s a new-to-me author as this one was with Deadly Devotion. It was an interesting read, and while not fabulous if I stumbled across more by this author I think I’d get it. However I’m not sure at this point that I would desperately seek out the next read. Yet then if you know me, contemporary is not always my genre of choice. Kate was a bit of a quirky character, but I really liked Tom and he seemed real off the page. This ...more
Paula
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The book was good. It is my book club book this month and I am looking forward to the discussion. I realize that there were a number of things that were left dangling at the end of the book to entice the reader to pick up the next book.

Port Aster seems like a nice town. I wouldn't mind spending a lazy afternoon in the tea shop which seems to be the town's meeting place. While there was not a strong emphasis on Christian principles in the book, they were given a passing mention.

It did bother me
Cara Putman
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Deadly Devotion by Sandra Orchard is a book about the lengths one will go to in an effort to prove their friend did not commit suicide. Kate Adams is determined that her friend Daisy was murdered, but the police have labeled it accidental. She knows they're wrong and embarks on a search to prove it. In the process she needs help from Tom Parker, a former FBI agent who is trying to settle back into life in Port Aster. The book is filled with suspects, clue, and bits of romance. I had suspicious a ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Suspense and romance is usually a combination that works for me. Add in herbal and homeopathic subjects and it's good. I just couldn't get into this one. The characters were annoying rather than engaging. The whole thing was just too much of a stretch. I finally just skimmed it and really didn't miss anything, which is a bummer because I was looking forward to this one. It's the first in a series and often subsequent books outshine the initial ones, so I am hopeful for the next one.
Melissa Sena
Feb 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

This book was a fun read. I loved learning about herbs as they delved into what killed Daisy. The story line reminded me of the old time damsel in distress but this time her distress is by her own making.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The way this book started off, it almost seemed like maybe this series is a spinoff of another one, but I didn't stay confused for long.

Kate Adams is furious that the death of her mentor, Daisy Leacock, is being closed and "solved" as a suicide. She is positive that Daisy would never take her own life; if only Kate can get someone to believe her.

Kate has no great love for the police, (after losing her father while he was in police custody), but they are the only ones who can do anything. When
Linda
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Kate Adams is an herbalist trying to prove that her friend/mentor Daisy's death was not a suicide, as the Port Aster police have concluded. The problem is, she has too many suspects, and not enough proof. Was it the so-called nephew who was conning Daisy for her money? Was it the police chief's father, whom Kate suspects of growing marijuana in the woods? Was it the police chief himself, covering up for his dad? Was it Daisy's boss, doing herbal research for a big pharmaceutical company? Was it ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first time reading Sandra Orchard and I was pulled into the story. I love herbs, so this held more interest for me in that regard. I knew marigold blossoms are edible but I didn't know there are kinds of marigolds you DON'T eat. When Kate Adams friend and boss, Daisy, dies, they rule it a suicide. But Kate knows with Daisy's faith she would never take her own life. Kate sets out to prove the police wrong and find the killer. Romance follows, with it's own complications, with the police detect ...more
Brenda
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christian Who-Done-It set in Ontario Canada.

When the death of Kate's friend and mentor Daisy is ruled a suicide, Kate storms the police department to convince them that Daisy was murdered only to find herself the prime suspect.

Det. Tom Parker has returned home from working for the FBI and his boyhood friend Hank Brewster is now his boss. As the investigation gets deadly, Tom's feeling for Kate are brewing like the herbal teas she creates.

The suspect list is vast and complex. A real who done it
Nakoma
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. Will try the next to see if it is as good as the last.
Only thing I did not really appreciate was the bad feelings towards those in uniform. I know that some people have bad feelings because of their experiences. However, condemning all uniformed officers because of the actions of a few, rather harsh.

Cussing: Mild if there was any at all
Explicit Descriptions: None
Gore & Violence: None
Nudity/Sex: None

This may be a series I could not only get into, but save for another re
Janet Sketchley
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Research scientist Kate Adams' mentor died from toxic herbal tea, and the police rule it self-inflicted if possibly accidental. Since they won't investigate it as murder, Kate vows to find the killer herself.

Detective Tom Parker, the newest member of Port Aster's small force, warns her that nobody is who they seem to be. Although the case is closed, Tom starts some quiet checking, more to keep Kate from endangering herself than out of agreement with her theories. Attraction grows between them, b
Victor Gentile
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sandra Orchard in her new book, “Deadly Devotion” Book One in the Port Aster Secrets series published by Revell brings us into the lives of Kate Adams and Tom Parker.

From the Back Cover: Kate knows the truth is out there–but if she’s right, that means a killer is out there too.

Research scientists Kate Adams and Daisy Leacock were on the brink of a breakthrough for treating depression with herbal medicine when Daisy was suddenly found dead. Kate knows that her mentor’s death wasn’t suicide or a c
Lisa Johnson
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Title: Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets #1)
Author: Sandra Orchard
Pages: 384
Year: 2013
Publisher: Revell
Sandra Orchard has written a truly intriguing novel that begins a series called “Port Aster Secrets”. Tom, formerly with the FBI, has returned home to be with his recently widowed father. Is there more to his past than anyone knows? Edward, if he really is named Edward, is supposed to be a victim’s nephew. Daisy is a special lady who has lived her whole life in Post Aster, who takes a specia
Shannon
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Received Desperate Measures, the third in the Port Aster Series by Sandra Orchard on Friday and couldn't wait to start reading.

This is an exciting series starring Kate Adams, botanist and part time crime solver and the man of her dreams, Tom Parker, whom betrayed her and whom she thinks she wants nothing to do with.

The story opens with Kate taking care of her plants, the infamous amendoso plants that had taken her father from her once more. She hopes that no one discovers this well hidden greenh
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Title: DEADLY DEVOTION
Author: Sandra Orchard
Publisher: Revell
June 2013
ISBN: 978-0800722227
Genre: Mystery

Kate knows the truth is out there--but if she's right, that means a killer is out there too.

Research scientists Kate Adams and Daisy Leacock were on the brink of a breakthrough for treating depression with herbal medicine when Daisy was suddenly found dead. Kate knows that her mentor's death wasn't suicide or a careless accident--and she's determined to do whatever it takes to unearth the trut
Vera Godley
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
My thoughts: Set in Canada amongst folks seriously into herbal teas and herbal remedies for depression, tummy aches, and a variety of ills, book one in the Port Aster Secrets Series "Deadly Devotion" has a research scientist seeking to have the police reopen the file on the death of her close friend. The death was ruled a suicide by accident, but Kate Adams absolutely does not believe that to be the case.

She appeals to Tom Parker who is in the Port Aster Police Department though he is a recent i
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Deadly Devotion
Port Aster Secrets #1
By Sandra Orchard

Having returned home following the death of his mother, former FBI agent Tom Parker is having a hard time adjusting to the 15 years of change that have occurred in Port Aster during his absence. Adding to his stress is Kate Adams who is convinced that her friend and mentor Daisy Leacock didn't commit suicide.

Kate isn't going to just sit around and let Daisy's name and reputation be ruined by the police and their determination that Daisy killed
Christian Fiction...: FREE Mystery/Romantic Suspense 1 9 Dec 05, 2015 11:05AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 10, 2015 08:21PM
Fans of Christian...: Goodreads Giveaway 5 copies closes June 1 1 16 May 16, 2013 06:39PM
  • Peril (Bloodline Trilogy #3)
  • Seeds of Evidence
  • Dangerous Passage (Southern Crimes #1)
  • Sins of the Past
  • Deadly Echoes (Finding Sanctuary #2)
  • Drawing Fire (Cold Case Justice #1)
  • Misery Loves Company
  • Murder at the Courthouse (Hidden Springs Mysteries #1)
  • Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2)
  • Silence in the Dark (Logan Point, #4)
  • No One to Trust (Hidden Identity, #1)
  • Tide and Tempest (Edge of Freedom, #3)
  • Double Cross (FBI: Houston, #2)
Sandra leaps off the garden trails of her herbal-researcher-turned-amateur-sleuth (Port Aster Secrets) series, to the museum corridors of her plucky FBI art crime agent Serena Jones, in A Fool and His Monet.

When not plotting crimes, Sandra plays make-believe with her grandchildren or hikes with her hubby along the escarpment, near their home in Niagara, Canada.

Her novels have garnered numerous a

Port Aster Secrets (3 books)
  • Blind Trust (Port Aster Secrets, #2)
  • Desperate Measures (Port Aster Secrets, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • The Ministry of Fear
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“You have to decide. Are you gonna trust God no matter how the situation looks? Or not?” 1 likes
“Sooner or later just about everyone comes up against a side of God that’s hard for them to accept, like I faced when my Norma died. Some wrestle it out with him like Jacob did in the Bible, while others walk away. You have to decide. Are you gonna trust God no matter how the situation looks?” 1 likes