Start by marking “Revival (The Variant Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Revival (The Variant Series, #1)

Revival (The Variant Series #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  2,344 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
Possessing the uncanny ability to fry a television set from twenty paces can really wreck a girl’s social life.

If you’re looking for proof, just ask sixteen-year-old Alexandra Parker. After catching her boyfriend in the arms of the prettiest girl in school, she made the journey from social elite to social pariah in a haze of electricity and exploding electronics. But findi
Published November 14th 2012 by Jena Leigh (first published November 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Revival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revival

N.N. Light
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A great start to the series and will continue reading the Variant series.

My Rating: 4.5 stars
Booknut
Fried T.Vs, busted espresso machines, destroyed computer labs and burning bookstores...all in a day's work for Alexandra Parker.

Alex tries hard to be normal - she really does. It's not her fault that electronics tend to explode or short circuit around her...or that weird guys with the ability to summon fire corner her at her local bookstore.

But Alex soon discovers that this isn't a coincidence, or a figment of her imagination. Alex is a Variant - a brand of supernatural mutants, each with their
Alisa
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have really been on a paranormal kick lately. I have been lucky because most of the books that I have been reading have all been good. This book just happened to be one that ended up being amazing.
Alex is your typical all-American teen. Pretty, popular but still grounded and very sweet. When she was very little she lost her parents in a tragic accident and has been raised by her Aunt Cecilia, who is just like a mother to her. Life is wo
Bhawisha Chand
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
Sierra Gibbs
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly loved this book so much!!! I loved the characters (DECLAN) and i just loved the whole entire story line. It's completely unique and if your a fan of fantasy stories or romance I'd definately give it a try!!
Rachel Heather Sangster
Looveedd ittt! (3.5 stars)
The main reason it's missing a star and a half is a problem I've been having with many recent books, and that's that, the story is fantastic, I loved the plot, I adored all the unique characters and their relationships, but it's totally ruined by the fact everything happened in the space of around 3 days, I totally loved Alex, she was the right amount of powerful and WTF AM I DOING, it was a decent balance. Again main issue I had was that she had mastered her powers to
Tiffany
"One of a kind girl with exceptional powers everyone loves saves the day" series are the worst. I have read some that fit this bill and really didn't like them. I downloaded this book and then read some reviews stating that's how this book was....and put off reading it for months. I really expected to dislike or not finish this book. Oh to my surprise I loved it.

Alex does have exceptional powers. But she isn't one of a kind, and she can't save the day. She needs her family more than they need he
Stacy Sabala
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, suspense, romance
Book Review- Revival by Jena Leigh

Alex Parker is getting over her break up and her social piranha status. She also mysteriously affects electrical devices. She doesn’t know how but thinks of herself as a freak. She also notices a mysterious boy seems to be following her. He seems to disappear and he took his own picture from a camera that was across the pier. Something weird is going on.
When Alex gets caught in a bookstore on fire, Declan is there to rescue her. He takes her back home and dumps
Jenica
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like the story, but there was something about the writing that seems underdeveloped to me.

The prose was too simplistic, the pacing was too fast (the events happen in 3 days), the characters didn't develop throughout the story, and there was no clear narrator. The author wrote in 3rd person point of view, which is great for including everyone's thoughts if done well, but in this case, she kept shifting POVs almost every chapter and sometimes even within the chapter. It was easy to follow since
Zoe
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. Definitely one of my favorite books. The characters are lovable and all have their own personalities.
It starts with Alex, shopping with her best friend, and they see a boy. Alex sees him again after, and she has this feeling that he's not like other boys.
Then, when Alex almost burns to death in a bookstore, and he is there to save her, she is thrown into a completely different life, having to deal with the insanely hot, insanely infuriating Declan, who drops her into f
Tracy
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely a fun read! With quotes like this: (Alex and Declan - who barely know each other - are discovered in an seemingly intimate position)

"This isn't what it looks like," said Alex.

"This is exactly what it looks like," said Declan. "What's a guy got to do to get a little privacy around here?"

I laughed a lot in this book. I really enjoyed the characters, and I'm a little torn that there isn't too much of a love triangle. I guess I just wanted to see more of (view spoiler)
Sarah Simone
Mar 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
DNF @ 15%

I bought this because the great reviews and the "try me" sample was excellent. I'm not sure what happened but it all went down hill from there. I'm surprised by all of the amazing reviews. I read a lot of books and this just wasn't for me I guess.
Becca
Okay...starting reviews are always the worst...As an overall read, I loved it. I thought that it was really good and really interesting. Revival is a great start to what i hope will be a great series. Alexandra (also known as - now get ready there are quite a few: Lexie, Lex, Lee-Lee, Alex, and pet - and yes that pet is suppose to seem as creepy as it does). The multiple nicknames can be bothersome but in this book each one belonged to another character, there wasn't intermixing, and the use of ...more
Jaimie Chirnside
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I liked the concept of the story and the book in general but I feel like the writing wasn't fully developed, I guess you could say.

I actually really like all the characters but everything happened sooooo quick! So much action and so much revealed in just 3 days? Really?

I remember really liking this book when it first came out and I came across the others that I didn't know existed. so I reread this one before I pick up the others. I wasn't AS excited this time around but it was enou
Roseanne
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

Revival is refreshing for super human hungry Harry Potter loving fans and Divergent fans alike. Better still if you're a fan of both worlds. The world of Variants is ordinary and extraordinary at once! It's got action, adventure, and a little romance all wrapped up in a coming-of-age and -to-terms with having superior human abilities. Whether or not you like Xmen or Marvel or DC Universe or Harry Potter or Divergent, if you want exceptional circumstances via beautiful multiple-reads-wor
Teigan
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I can't be bothered to write a proper review, so here are my main thoughts.

Despite the premise not straying far from the cliche YA storyline of girl-with-powers-is-special, I loved the characters. They were absolutely the best aspect to the story, not to mention that the dialogue had me laughing at times. It is kind of insta-lovey and I'm on team Nathaniel, but I think I can deal with it. With such a amazing cast, I think I'll be continuing the series.
Kelly
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Going into Revival quite blind, not having bothered to re-read the blurb to trigger my memory for what to expect, meant I was not expecting a fast-paced, smile-inducing, heart-warming thriller that kept me glued to its pages. With a full cast of loveable characters, an interesting mythology involving a genetic mutation and a secret government agency, and the suspense of an increasingly dangerous threat, I couldn’t help but fall in love with Revival!

I’m going to be completely honest. I could have
Tina Bartholoma
This one is perfect for a TV series, your teen psychic team is ready to go. Beginnings of a love triangle, check. Secret government team/experiment backstory, check. Teens dealing with the fallout, check. High school still a problem, check. In all seriousness, I really did love the characters and settings in this one, but, it does read like a great script.
Francesca Skoda
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it! Great characters and a great storyline. It's the type of book that makes you feel like you're part of a family and you just want to keep reading and never stop. Absolutely loved it would definitely recommend.
Rober Jones
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revivals an awesome book

Great book if your interested in reading just about any type of series weather it action story or otherwise this book personally fills all check marks as far as I'm concerned.
Melissa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rogue

Well, we have a dash of mutant power, romance, suspense, actions, comedic arrogant guy, and I don't know what you call three guys who want the same girl and different points in the book - a love quadriangle. Anyway, I absolutely loved this book and I believe you will too,
Tierrahulsey
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised, and happy with the book.

I would most definitely recommend this fun fantasy book. There is surprises in every chapter which makes the book strangely unique.
Jeannette
I think this series has great potential. Many mysteries still remain to keep me interested. The characters are not very strong or complex but that my get better as the series goes on.

Recommended for readers 15 & up.
Julieb
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I love good, clean, fun stories, and this one fit the bill perfectly. A dose of supernatural mixed with the perfectly ordinary that makes it almost believable, and completely engrossing. Love, love, loved it! Now for the next one in the series...
Renae Rogers
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Although this story got a little bogged down about a third of the way through, overall it was OK. I do like a good DNA variation story. It’s a shame there aren't more variations in abilities though. Maybe they mention more in later books?
Nancy
3.5. I actually enjoyed this book. It was pretty witty and I liked the characters. The story line is similar to other books, but it was still entertaining. This is one of the few books I got free that I actually feel like should be in a library.
Robyn Rudd
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Awesome book. Can't wait to read the next. It brings you and and doesn't let go. Highly recommend. Thumbs up.
Tina
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rated Pg13 for language and intensity (kidnapping, guns, death). Reminded me a lot of Xmen. Really enjoyed it though.
Leonardo Dearie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was over before,

I knew it!such an enjoyable series ,clever characters a sense for action and suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat!
Holly
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable series, light reading.
The Varient series! 3 6 Jul 26, 2015 12:18AM
Best YA Book Quotes: Revival 2 2 Oct 01, 2014 02:46PM
Addicted to YA: Revival (The Variant Series, Book 1) by Jena Leigh 1 23 Dec 14, 2012 08:10AM
  • Finding Willow (Freedom, #0.5)
  • The Samantha Project (The Samantha Project, #1)
  • Swift (Swift, #1)
  • Autumn Storm (The Witchling, #2)
  • Obsidian (Ember, #2)
  • Justice (Galilee Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • Shipwrecked Summer
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • Stupid Love (Stupid in Love, #3)
  • Black Diamond (Stark Springs Academy #1)
  • Gambit (The Prodigy Chronicles, #1)
  • This Way to the Sugar
  • Anywhere but Here
  • Recitatif/To Room Nineteen
  • Leave a Mark
  • A Vision of Green (Florence Vaine, #2)
  • The Keeper's Curse (The Keeper's Curse, #1)
  • Ruby's Fire
Jena Leigh is the author of the Variant Series novels REVIVAL, RESISTANCE, REDUX, and RECKONING. Born and raised in the lightning capital of North America, she eventually made her home in the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina. A shameless geek, she loves coffee, loud music, bad sci-fi movies, Skittles, and shenanigan-filled road trips to faraway concerts.

To find out more about The Variant
More about Jena Leigh

The Variant Series (4 books)
  • Resistance (The Variant Series, #2)
  • Redux (The Variant Series, #3)
  • Reckoning (The Variant Series, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Just keep her away from bookstores, if you can."
Bookstores.
Thanks, Grayson. That helps.
Apparently whoever said, "no harm ever came from reading a book," hadn't met this girl.”
15 likes
“He reached out, put his hands on her shoulders and pressed downwards. She fell into a seated position against a fallen tree.
"Sit," he said. "Stay."
"That's cute," she said. "Tell me to 'heel' and see what happens.”
12 likes