Jump to ratings and reviews
Mira Ellison is poised to have it all. In 1989, she is the first prominent African American fashion designer redefining change for both beauty and style among the renowned in Italy. That happens until the evening she meets a tall, mysteriously charming Sicilian businessman who orchestrates a friendship that awakens a wicked sexual heat she has long forgotten. Who is he really? What harm could a little fling in one of the most beautiful countries in the world bring?

Plenty.

Don Giovanni Battaglia is a man who knows how to get his way. He lives his life on the razor edge of control as he balances family and his dark legacy. He is the leader of a ruthless crime family, and those who intercept his purpose are swiftly made to pay. Mira’s design house opens in Napoli, and unbeknownst to her, the property she occupies is one for which the Battaglia family has big plans. Giovanni’s designs for her business set them on a collision course of heated passion, spine chilling danger, and an unspeakable act of murder.

468 pages, ebook

First published November 13, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sienna Mynx

67 books959 followers
Sienna Mynx is your naughty writer of Paranormal, Contemporary, and Historical Interracial Romance for readers that love the bad boy's but desire to be the women that tame them. A current resident of south of Georgia, Sienna Mynx has just emerged into the e-publishing arena. Her novellas reflect her thirst for romance told from a fresh perspective with the diversity she craves in erotic Romance. Explore and Enjoy.

Also writes under the pen name T.A. Ford

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
81 (3%)
1 star
58 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 183 reviews
Profile Image for DeeTimes' Nook.
2,223 reviews
May 29, 2019
Sienna Mynx's "Destino" was by far the most exciting and engaging IR mafia story I've read thus far in 2018!

Although it started off slow, I loved reading Giovanni and Mirabella's mafia love story. The setting was memorable (1989, Napoli) along with the secondary characters who you truly loved or just I loved to hate. The women in this story were too much drama for me and that means unlikeable -- indecisive fashion designer, Mirabella, spoil-rotten sister to Don Giovanni, Catalina and motherly Manager but sometimes evasive Fabiana when it came to Lorenzo, her love interest and cousin to Don Giovanni. Now, I was enameled to hero, Don Giovanni Battaglia and his men, Dom and Carlo but his cousin Lorenzo well not much AT ALL!

Sienna Mynx is a master at detailed and descriptive conversations and honestly that is why the book gets a mighty 5+++ stars.

I can tell from "Destino" alone, this is going to be one of my favorite series in 2018!
Yell, Yell, I know I'm behind some years reading the series but I'm all in now!

LOVE TEAM GIOVANNI BATTAGLIA!!!!!!!!!!!

Memorable moment in "Destino" for Mira after she fell in the pond:

"From the corner of her eye, she glimpsed something. The closer she stepped to the bed, the deeper the realization. It was her purse, the one stolen in Napoli with the cut strap. Mira marched over and opened it. To her surprise everything, including her passport was accounted for. With shaky fingers she drew aside the inside zipper. A three-inch square shaped velvet pouch was tucked right where she found it. Hard and fast relief filled her and her mind stilled long enough for a deeper realization. She’d misjudged his arrogance. The man obviously had skills and power that reached further than her imagination. For him to do this, he couldn’t be all hardness and brawn. What lie in her hand was more valuable than the hope diamond. Did he know what this meant to her? Maybe he didn’t. She removed her grandparents’ picture and the tiny bracelet. She pressed it to her heart and exhaled deeply."

Giovanni :

“Destino. Mine. You’re my fate, Bella.”

“I say what I mean, without a filter, Bella.”

5++++*****
Profile Image for Kim.
736 reviews81 followers
November 17, 2012
This has to be one of the best interracial romances I have read. It was a dramatic, passionate, roller coaster of events from beginning to end. Giovanni and Mira don't seem like likely match due to their completely different backgrounds and lives, but somehow they were perfect for eachother. The drama was at an all time high, and the Italian mafia backdrop only heightened it's appeal. This trilogy started out with a bang and seems to be one to be reckoned with. A month is too long a wait for the second chapter but I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait.
Profile Image for Deloris.
916 reviews32 followers
December 7, 2017
I just came back from Italy, Sienna Mynx took me there in this wonderful book. This story was written so well I felt like I was right in the middle of it experiencing every moment. Mira and Gio were a wonderful couple to read about there story was sweet, sexy, dangerous , exciting and sad . This book ends on a cliffhanger but I still felt like I got a happy ending. I can't wait for the next in this series I know it will keep on the edge of my seat just like this on did.
Profile Image for Monica **can't read fast enough**.
1,022 reviews324 followers
June 24, 2015
This is the first book in the Battaglia Mafia series by Sienna Mynx. The story revolves around the whirlwind love affair between Mira Ellison, a designer on the verge of becoming a successful international designer with her own company which she has just moved to Italy and Giovanni Battaglia who is the Don of a very powerful mafia family. Giovanni is one hot Itlaian alpha male and Mira, despite being overwhelmed by him sometimes, manages to stay a strong willed and independent woman. I know some may think that it's just cliche to have the hot Italian bad boy, but sometimes hot is just hot and Giovanni is hot. A sexy man speaking in Italian, well it doesn't get a whole lot hotter than that.There are also strong secondary characters in this series and Mynx allows good development of their story lines as well. The books in this series are a reasonable length unlike many IR romances out there that seem to be more short story than novel and the editing is decent. I have read all the books in the series and enjoyed seeing how Mynx was able to balance these two strong personalities without making either one look weak or unbelievable. Overall this is a good series that I would definitely recommend to any romance reader not just the IR lovers.

www.monlatablereviews.com
Profile Image for Jooniebug.
63 reviews
May 28, 2019
With all the hype I really wanted to read this story cos I truly love sienna's books. I found the beginning of the book so confusing cos giovanni had so many henchmen I got mixed up! Also why was kei who was mira's ex part of the plot? I did not want to read about mira's ex and how he kept her in bed etc....I thought it wasnt right as all I wanted to read about was mira and giovanni. I gave this 2.5 stars cos it really sounded so repetitive like most of sienna's books...eg the heist! Nothing special with story for me....all the hype is uncalled for. It took me a week to finish this book. Smh!
Profile Image for Kyoko M..
Author 18 books368 followers
December 26, 2014
Disclaimer: I blame this entire review on TheFountainPenDiva. She marked this book as To Read the other day and I happened past it, saw the cute cover, read the premise, and bought it. I don't read erotica or romance because I need blood, guts, death, and sarcasm in my life. I bought this book because at the very least it promised danger and violence along with sexual tension, and that's something I can dig.

This novel puts me in such a weird position. I'm torn. It's really split straight down the middle, so I'll break it into a list so it's easier to understand.

Pros:
-The language and word choice is exceptional considering the genres it's in. No, really. Many romance writers have limited vocabularies and you see the same set of words used again and again, but Mynx manages to create some fantastic visuals thanks to the setting.
-The chemistry between Gio and Mira is palpable, even if it's a little on the forced side. It's more understandable that he fell for her than she fell for him, though. I'll get into that later, but they do blend together well.
-I really like the Mafia angle. It's what made me stop and read the excerpt, and plop down a buck to read the rest. I've never been a huge fan of paranormal romance (ha ha ha! Irony) so this really wins me over for adding a real threat for our protagonists. It wasn't some frou-frou pseudo-threat. There is death, dismemberment, murder, extortion, and all kinds of sins in these pages and it's a relief. Too many authors are too chicken to do bad things to their precious heroes and Mynx is not one of them.
-Giovanni is actually a decent lead, for once. I find a lot of these types of books lean too heavily on characterizing the female love interest and so the guys just get a cursory glance, but not with Gio. We learn his background, his habits, his desires, and his morals. He's a pretty intimidating guy, but he has a set of rules. I also like that he's not too warm and cuddly. Their relationship is largely based on the sex, and while Mira softens him up, he never becomes her pet or vice versa. I really like that he's still his own man with his own hang ups.
-The steamy bits are good. I will nitpick in the Cons below, but overall, I liked them. No stupid 50 Shades of Grey bullshit. Just vanilla sex. Me likey.
-None of the usual "light skinned girls with pretty hair are better" nonsense, and also not too many "food skin color" comparisons. That I only mention because some readers get irked by it. I personally don't care unless it's Laurell K. Hamilton levels of insultingly egregious, but I figured I'd mention it.

Cons:
-Punctuation errors out the wazoo up in here. I don't know if she's self published, had a small press publication, or didn't have an editor at all, but there are TONS of missing commas in this novel. After a certain point, I forced myself to ignore them. It's so basic an error that it took this novel down an entire star rating for me because I am a grammar Nazi and it's inexcusable to have this many missing commas, and there's one on the first page no less.
-The author uses the "velvet sheathed steel" line to describe Gio's penor and that is a huge no-no. If you don't know why, please do me the favor of visiting http://www.weepingcock.livejournal.com and the profile page will explain why that is one of the stupidest purple prose descriptions for the penis ever. I'm sorry. It's a cock. Just...call it one. Don't make up dumb flowery comparisons. Cock or dick, I don't care which one you choose, but for heaven's sake, don't say that phrase or it causes veteran authors to laugh hysterically instead of being turned on like we're supposed to be.
-Mira is kind of a thin heroine. I really don't think she falls in love with Gio so much as she enjoys the lifestyle and he's a fantastic lover. That's it. His life is such a huge danger for her and she shouldn't mess around with him if she has any sense in her head. She has a story to her, but it's not much, unfortunately. I think more effort was put into Gio instead. Mira waffles back and forth over Gio so many times that I wrote her off after a certain point. I really wanted her to be a stronger character and not fall prey to the alpha male theme that a lot of these romances dish out.
-Cliffhanger ending. That might tick some people off so I included it, but it's at the readers' discretion.
-Super predictable ending. You'll see it from miles away.

Do you see what I mean? There are points for and against trying this book. I liked it enough to recommend it to someone who wants a nice beach-holiday kind of book, but I'm not interested enough to continue the series. It's a quick, entertaining read with a nice saucy flavor, but it's like an appetizer. Not filling enough, but still tasty.
Profile Image for Aղցela W..
3,800 reviews250 followers
July 12, 2016
This was a really good book. Mira Ellison is a fashion designer who along with her best friend Fabiana moves from New York to Italy to open up and fashion house. While there she meets Don Giovanni Battaglia is a man who knows how to get his way and he wants Mira. He lives his life on the razor edge of control as he balances family and his dark legacy. He is the leader of a ruthless crime family, and those who intercept his purpose are swiftly made to pay. Fabiana also falls for his cousin Lorenzo and although both of them see red flags regarding the cousins they both looked the other way. This was a really good book Giovanni was a tall rich good looking man that used his charm on Mira and me. In the beginning of this book I thought that Mira was going to get on my nerves but she grew on me and I really liked her friend Fabiana. Gio wasn't as ruthless has some Don's that I read about he was fair until you crossed him. I was also glad that either one of them let race stop them until it was too late. This was my first time reading this author and this is the first book in a nes series too me. This book was well written with no errors in spelling or grammar although the chapters skipped from fifteen to seventeen I wasn't sure if it was a typo or missing a chapter but other than that this was a really good book and I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Lenlyn01.
65 reviews2 followers
December 3, 2012
What!!! was the first thing I said when I got to the end of this book. How could this be the end.. the ups and downs I mean I was expecting something totally different in the end. Anywhoo, The book was amazing I thought the connection between Gio and Mira was untouchable. Mira just ercked me at times. She had some kinda way about her really. When I read the description of the story and learned it was set in 1989 I was turned off by that but I gave it a try anyway. I'm glad I did but when is the second book coming out cause now I'm like needing more. That thug in Gio was the ultimate turn on. So many secrets and lies but they loved each other no matter what.
Profile Image for Connie.
547 reviews46 followers
June 25, 2015
Destino was a hard read for me until about 75% into the book because I didn’t feel any particular connection to either of the main characters. If this was a one book read, I would have been able to let it go gently into the good night. I read the book in its entirety for a book of the month, so I didn’t want to abandon it. I’m so glad I didn’t because towards the end that’s when things really got interesting and a smile was put on my face. Mirabella and Giovanni are two characters that didn’t make sense to me. Mira (or Bella as she was called by Giovanni) was an up and coming fashion designer that fell for the standard confident “business man.” Their brief affair was intense, but it didn’t translate well to me as the reader. I didn’t feel anything for them as a couple. There was a lot of repetition in their dialog and Mira didn’t make sense half of the time when it came to their interactions and how she would respond to Giovanni. The only feelings that seemed true was her love for Flaviana until the argument happened between the two women. The secondary character Lorenzo, Giovanni’s cousin and top left hand man had more emotion and passion that kept the story interesting. His strong connection and vulnerability to Mira’s best friend Flaviana kept the story worth reading until we got to the true meat of things and Giovanni showed his true colors and his weakness for his Bella.
Profile Image for Bee'sBooks.
34 reviews21 followers
September 8, 2019
Okay, I am starting this review/rant with a semi-disclaimer if you will. I could not stand any of the women in this book (except Zia, she was fine, plus she was nice and way older and you can't hate on the elderly, that's not cool), ESPECIALLY Mira. Now, although I feel this way about the main female characters, (I will explain why) they did not stop me from loving this storyline, (which I was so into) and the men of the Battaglia family. I refuse to penalize this book and the plot because of the women. Sienna Mynx, in my opinion, has done a fantastic job telling this story and setting up the scenarios between characters. Plus, if I am to be honest, I am never really into the female leads/characters in these type of stories (romance books in general actually) anyway. It is all about the ALPHA MEN!!! So, let's begin, shall we?

Alright, so I am just chilling out reading books and checking my messages on the GR and I was sent a message and recommendation for Destino from my girl Genelle (she knows who she is ;-)), telling me I need to read this book and the series as a whole like ASAP. So, I take her recommendation and I get the series after reading the summaries. Whooooo baaaaby, let me just say, this series has officially ruined my emotional and mental health, BUT in a very good way. I looooved this story! Also, mafia/mob crime stories and romance have really become my thing lately, so Destino fulfilled my need for this kind of tale and then some.

Destino centers around Mira Ellison (ugh, boo, nay!) and Giovanni Battaglia(mmmhmm, uh huh, yay!), one a prominent top fashion designer from New York, looking to take over Europe and expand her fashion empire and the other a dark, brooding, sexy, blue-eyed mob boss, that is about his business, expanding his control over Italy and cleaning up some of the bloody legacy associated with his family's mob reign, in the Camorra. You see what I am saying? This story had me sold!

During a night out for dinner with her business partner Fabiana, Mira meets up with Giovanni's cousin Lorenzo, to try and remove some "red tape," regarding the opening of one of Mira's new stores. At this point, Mira doesn't know he is in the mob. During the progression of the evening, Mira is being hit on by the hot mess and hot breathed, super gross (in more ways than one and Giovanni gets him together!) restaurant owner and she is "rescued" by none other than the Don himself, Giovanni Battaglia. Giovanni and Mira were smitten with each other from first sight and this is exactly where the story really kicks off and Mira and Giovanni's life together begins to unfold.

Now, let's talk about these women. Ugh, my Lord where to begin? Let's start with the least important to me in this story, Catalina. I could not stand Catalina, who is Giovanni's sister. She was super bratty, spoiled, petulant, snooty, snide, a YOUNG adult yes, but a grown up nonetheless and she would throw these tantrums that rivaled a two year old. She was also sneaky and manipulative, which I don't deal well with folks like that in books or real life, so she is a dud for me.

Fabiana Girelli, she was a good friend to Mira and business partner, prior to getting to Italy, where I felt she lost herself (heart and mind) and her business savvy a bit, to none other than Lorenzo Battaglia; Giovanni's prideful, envious, jealous, scheming, screw-up, sheisty cousin. Now, we as women and intelligent readers know that a dude like Lorenzo is a bad idea and should not be liked, let alone trusted, but he has a certain "Je ne sais quoi" that makes you still like him, despite his antics. Mind you, I said, like him, NOT TRUST HIM or FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM! This is precisely where Fabiana messed up and lost her mind and heart. She fell hard for Lorenzo and he fell for her as well. The difference between them though, is Lorenzo always has AND had his eye on the prize, which is whatever scheme of the day he was plotting or planning or trying to cover up, (at least his part in it). Lorenzo really started loving Fabiana in his way and he really does love his family and Giovanni. However, his ego, pride, envy and jealousy makes him a dangerous man to love; because ultimately Lorenzo was about Lorenzo. Fabiana began to see later on and realize some of the mistakes she made to help him or keep information from her friend and business partner, Mira. I really just wanted Fabiana to get it together and be smart because her repercussions were so severe, like SOOOO SEVERE. I just kept thinking she was a fool, but the heart wants, what the heart wants, I guess.

Mira, Mira, Mira! SHE GETS ON MY NERVES!!! I can't with Mira at all. She was supposed to be this strong woman, about her business and all that jazz, but I don't see her that way. She just annoyed the heck out of me at every turn. Mira was the main reason I was losing my mind reading this book. I would yell at the story and talk to myself about how stupid she is, it was bad and my family thinks I need help at this point and they may be right. I found Mira to be contradictory, full of false bravado, only to easily acquiesce later, always jumping to conclusions and accusing people of things that weren't true or without knowing the full story, willfully/blissfully ignorant and in denial and ALWAYS laying blame for her bad decisions on other people. She barely owned her choices or her part in her problems. Mira was also bad with setting boundaries and letting certain people cross them with her and she crossing them with other people. My whole thing with Mira the entire book is that she constantly would blame Fabiana or Giovanni for everything going wrong with her business and life in Italy. Now, I am not saying some things that were set in motion could've not been set in motion or handled differently, but I am like Mira come on, you are a boss and have a say in your life, as she would constantly remind Giovanni and Fabiana, but when it came down to it she never would SAY ANYTHING! Mira would let Fabiana and Giovanni handle everything or tell her not to worry and she would just let things slide. THEN, when ISH hits the fan, Mira would then lash out and blame everyone for why she is in a predicament, um really?! Mira, I am going to need for you to get it together girl. YOU knew WHAT and WHO Giovanni was, YOU knew something dodgy was going on with Fabiana and the choices she was making for YOU and the biz (they had a convo about it after that first dinner in the restaurant), YOU knew YOU had a bad feeling about smarmy, slick behind Lorenzo and when SHE should've addressed it and everything from the start, what does Mira do, move into their home during her vacation!!! Oh, I'm sorry ladies, is that what we're doing now? Folks give you crazy vibes and you barely know them, but that is the go ahead to stay at their house and get deeper into their world, that YOU knew was suspect from the jump and when things get tough or go wrong it is everyone else's fault you were there? Uh, no Mira it was YOUR fault because YOU knew better, but refused to DO BETTER. So, I feel no love or sympathy or like for Mira at all this whole story because she is just a fool and I can't! I really don't even know why Giovanni or Kei or any other guy liked her; she is a pain and just irked my soul.

Now, as for the men in this story, I loved them; even sheisty Lorenzo. Giovanni was pushing it a couple of times with his alpha male, somewhat traditional self, but you begin to learn more about his upbringing and how he was treated and his mother, sister etc, and I could see why he was the way he was at times. Plus, with Giovanni and the other men in his family/crew I felt they were up front in how they were personality and character wise from the start. So, if Giovanni did something I thought was too traditional or controlling somewhat, I wasn't super shocked because of his role in the Camorra. As the head of the family, Giovanni is expected to do things his way to protect everyone and he was honest like look, 'I want my woman to be like a, b and c and I am like a, b, and c'; so you didn't have to guess with him too much or his intentions. He really was a sweetheart, especially with Mira and she did him wrong in the end in my opinion. Ahhh, I really just liked him overall.

As I said, Lorenzo is a sheisty, hot mess and is going to be a problem as this series progresses I am sure of it and I am here for it!

Now, as I stated above, I looooved this story! It may not sound like it with all my disdain for the main female character(s), but I do. Sienna Mynx has done so well with setting the stage for the drama and giving you insight into the Don's life, as well as the other characters. The drama is good because it is coupled with action and some violence that is believable for this mob lifestyle. I like that there is some romance because IT IS a romance novel, but Mynx didn't make the romance too sappy in my eyes. I can't stand sappy touch me, hold me, love me all of the time stories. I like my romance novels with an actual storyline and some action/adventure, where if there was no romance, the book would still hold up as a good story and I feel that the author definitely delivered on that. Mynx also did well with describing Italy. I felt like Italy was an unspoken or unnamed character in this story and the description of how beautiful she was, really came through and I enjoyed it.

I am in love with this series, like legitimately into it and I can't wait to read the next installment. I want to know more about Giovanni, Lorenzo, Domi, Carlo and the boys. I am so here for this series, so thank you to Sienna Mynx for writing a really good book and series and thank you to Genelle for the recommendation.;)
147 reviews1 follower
December 18, 2013
I liked this book okay. I am a big fan of Mafia love stories. I thought I would especially enjoy this book because the heroine is black as I am. I didn't like Mira so much. I am not sure why. Maybe she came across as stuck up or dumb - not sure. Something was just off about her. There was a lot of descriptive details in this book. I wasn't so interested in it because I am not at all familiar with Italy, so I was more interested in the love story not the scenery - sorry. I was impressed that the author was so educated about the place though. I would skim over the parts where she went into painful details of a place.

I liked Giovanni a lot. Sienna did a great job on his character. He was THE BOSS and it came across that way on paper. I kept wondering what Mira had that made men with such power want her so badly. The people on the cover of the book are not that attractive in my opinion, so I had a hard time finding her physically attractive.

Also, I was disappointed with the time period. I couldn't believe we were in 1989. Hopefully, this is so the remaining books can bring us to 2013. I like i phones, i pads and other modern technology.

To sum up my review, this book was good. Too expensive though.
Profile Image for Mspraise50.
1,582 reviews63 followers
November 7, 2013
I took me a little while to get into the story but once Mira meets Gio and he starts wooing her, the story is then absolutely riveting and very entertaining. It is a mafia story so if you are not into those kinds of stories then best leave it alone. There are mafia incidents, killings etc which just adds to the drama for me.

I am loving it so far, I am off to read book 2. Thank God I waited until she had written the first 3 books in the series and book 4 should be coming in December 13 so not too long to wait. I am sure I could cope with the cliff hangers and unfinished stories lines.

Well worth the time and money!
Profile Image for Didichan.
160 reviews6 followers
August 18, 2013
This book has to many contradiction... for one Kei is described as controlling ... she says he control her... Giovanni does the same thing and its oh so very sexy... aaaaa Mira was a very annoying lead character... her personality and actions were all over the place...she was suppose to be strong heroine but she ended being another tstl heroine.. i grow so very tried of these types.. it would have being a good read... i just find the Miss Mynx heroines are are too loose and weak spirited for my taste.... it made it hard to focus on the over all story...
Profile Image for Tina.
1,742 reviews280 followers
February 18, 2014
More plot driven than I usually like. I tend to prefer books that concentrate more on presenting the characters to me. And I found it a little difficult to connect with the heroine. I thought some of her reactions were odd. But not surprising since I think everything she did was to drive plot.

But the story was interesting and I found myself very much involved in the story. Doesn't end in an HEA, nd I find myself curious about Mira and Gio so I'll read the next one.

My full review here
145 reviews
August 24, 2018
Amazing!

So I kept going back and forth with this book because I really really didn’t like Giovanni. Like my prickly feminist rose up and was like ‘hold da $@$! up’ Mr. Man! I also kept getting irritated with the girls because they kept going back and forth over something that was very obvious.
With all that aside though this book has me up at 2AM eager to write a review because it was just that good. It was like an epic movie that just kept going and even though there’s another book in the series you feel full. Each person was well thought out and everything made sense. You understood the turmoil and joy from everyone. This was a great novel jam packed with action love sexy times and intrigue. It’s worth the buy and if you give Giovanni a pass in the beginning you’ll come to understand the type of man he is. Happy reading
Profile Image for Nile Princess.
1,262 reviews152 followers
July 26, 2016
Ok, I am going to ATTEMPT a review but seriously, I think I need to read the two books in this series again before I can give a final review. But initial thoughts:

I don't like to compare authors/books by name so I will just say that this book bears a strong resemblance (storywise) to another inter-racial mob series(Russian). If you know it, you know which one it is and if you don't, then no harm done. Both heroines are into fashion, both heroes have cousins that were raised with them as brothers. Both heroes' mothers were 'outsiders' and both heroes had to fight for acceptance. We even have the same bi-racial daughter with the blue eyes. How often does that happen? A lot in storyland, apparently.

Giovanni
Giovanni Battaglia is the truth. He is no bullshit. You will die if you cross him and it will be painful and ugly and I lovveeee it. I need a mob boss who is a MOB BOSS, and Giovanni brings the pain and much more. He is 6'5 and a total alpha male. He made me all weak and quivery. I actually think the author's portrayal of him is more realistic than alot of the other mob stories out there, but somehow...something was missing. Maybe he was TOO controlling, or cold. I found him sexy as hell, but I still don't know if I LIKED him and this was a problem. To root for the main couple, you have to LIKE them and there was something missing between Vanni and Mirabella. We knew Vanni loved her, but she was almost like a possession. There were too many 'You belong to me's and he was a little too unyielding, 'There will be no divorce ever with a man like me.' It may be TRUE, but it made him seem inhumane. What he said went and that was it. There was no discussion. And Mirabella just said, 'Ok, yes, ok.' Again, this is very much a realistic portrayal of a Mob boss, but we have to be able to relate to him and to respect the heroine.

By contrast, I've read other mob stories..the Russian counterpart to this one and another one just last night (also Russian) where the bosses are decisive, ruthless killers but who still manage to be likeable...so I'm not sure why Giovanni wasn't.

Mirabella
I never outright disliked her. As far as herorines in mob books go, she was actually ok. She wasn't as naive as her counterpart in the Russian book in the beginning, and I understood her concern about her business, but she was so indecisive that she was annoying at times. "We can't have sex" as she allowed him to spread her legs. Just shut up then! I understand that he was sexy as hell and that his power was enchanting but she was giving me whiplash. She was...ok. She didn't start to really annoy me until Book 2 but we'll get to that.

The passion between them
It should have been hot; all the factors were there...and yet, something was off. I really can't explain it. I never really felt that they HAD to be with each other.

The Mafia/violence angle
This is PERFECTION. Giovanni is the ultimate Don and this part was done really well. One thing though. I will say that the author did Giovanni a disservice by making his violent streaks a manifestation of weakness/lack of control. ie. he's hurting so he orders a massacre. No, no, no. When a Mob Boss orders mass destrucion it should not be weakness, but leadership and retaliation. The Russian mob boss didn't wake up a month later regretful over what he'd done. The magnitude of his order is digested BEFOREHAND. People are warned and those who ignore his warnings pay the price. Lessons had to be taught and he was just the professor to do it. Was this portrayal supposed to show that Giovanni wasn't, at heart, a violent man? If so, it didn't work. It just made him seem like a loose cannon. He was too much in control of his emotions to play that angle. Plus he has everyhing he could want in Book 2 and he'd still beat you 6 ways from Sunday (if he's feeling generous) if you cross him, so forgiveness isn't his forte anyway.

The scenery.
I loved all the vivid descriptions of Italy. It made me feel as if I were back there. I also learned a lot of Italian in this book! It may not extend too far outside the bedroom but whatever. :)

The secondary characters
Lots of good secondary characters in this story. That was done really well as well.

All in all, this was a VERY, VERY GOOD inter racial mafia series. I have been looking for one that measures up to the Russian one and none came close. This series is a very strong contender and would have been perfect if Giovanni wasn't SO unyielding. Ugh.I can't explain it. I have to read the book again and be more specific.
Profile Image for Monique.
713 reviews39 followers
July 9, 2016
Rating: 3 Stars

Good, but not great. The story of Giovanni (The Don, anti-hero, the big boss) and Mira (African-American semi-famous fashion designer) who meet in Italy at a fashion show. Gio has a few conflicts, he has serious conflicts with this family, conflicts with another mafia family and conflicts with a woman who he is extremely attracted to. This story contained romance, a beautiful setting, and a whole host of characters.

I thought Gio and Mira were OK. I was not drawn/hooked on either of them. Gio did not come off as a Don. He did not come off as the shot caller. His character started off bad-ass, then it went down from there. Mira kind of got on my nerves. She seemed bratty and a walking contradiction. I did not enjoy being inside of her head at all. There were so, so, so many secondary characters that I needed a glossy picture chart to keep track of all the players. The drama was pretty good, but not enough to keep my attention. Overall, good story, but not great.

Why Not 5 Stars?

Too much description - It was too much describing of everything! While I can appreciate the author giving us a tour of Italy, I don't like it if it does not have a point. Meaning, it should be significant/mean something to the story. When it goes into that level of detail, I would like for it to be important. It just felt like it was filler.

Way Too Many Characters - As I mentioned above, there were too many secondary characters to keep track of. Gio's family members and friends, the rival's family members and friends, Mira's friends, etc. While I understand that book 1 is the foundation and we have to set things up for the next books, I thought it weighed down the story.

Too many point of views - I think this was the first book I've read where everyone had a pov. Not that it was a bad experience, but there was no transition to let you know whose head you were in. It seemed very disconnected. Perhaps a break in the paragraph or warning that you are about to enter X's head now.

Scene Transition - Maybe it was just me, but one minute you were inside Gio's head in the office, and the next you were in his cousin's head in another room of the house, and you had no clue with room. Something was off when transitioning from one scene/character to another scene/character.
437 reviews4 followers
March 6, 2019
Gio's and Bella's Destiny Begin

This is my third read of Destino, the first in The Battaglia Mafia Series. This is one of the best Interracial Italian Mafia books that I've ever read. Ms. Mynx is one of the best authors of this genre.

The main characters were fully developed. Giovanni Battaglia (Gio) is Don of the most famous mafia family in Italy/Sicily. Mira Ellison is a top Black American fashion designer and has recently moved to Italy. They were strongly attracted to each upon first sight. Gio determined to have Mira, whom he called Bella, by any means necessary. Mira was as attracted to Gio and didn't understand it, but was powerless to resist him. They were weak for each other causing him trouble with his mafia members.

The secondary characters were also well developed. Lorenzo was Gio's cousin and third in command. I immediately hated him. Fabiana was Mira's business manager and best friend. Lorenzo and Fabiana had met earlier and were also attracted to each other. They lied to and manipulated Gio and Mira so they could be together. Their lies brought nothing but physically dangers, mayhem and even death, to those around them. There were other secondary characters that you loved, hated and pitied. Some were misguided or weak or downright evil. Their actions affected Gio's and Mira's relationship adversely even though unintentionally.

The book was entertaining with a fully a developed plot and subplots. The sex was hot, sometimes sensual and plentiful. There was enough danger and intrigue that kept you reading until early morning hours. There were so many errors, grammatical and formatting, among others, that kept it from being a well written book. An editor is desperately needed. Still, it was of the best written of it genre.

In spite of this being my third read, I'm anxious to read the next book in the series. Good thing I don't have to wait but can start reading now.
Profile Image for ♡Meme♡Reads love♡.
420 reviews123 followers
May 29, 2013
Well this was pretty darn good. I love mafia romances with a bad boy loosing his mind over a woman. I loved it! This was like watching a good movie I loved all the characters the good that bad the ugly this was a well rounded book I was given so many emotions love, anger curiosity, Hate, frightend worried, saddness deep deep sadnness oh the end wow! so this is a series and I'm going on to the next book to find out whats going to happen because OH! MY! G! did so much happen in the first! four stars are because Mira got on my nerves sometimes her character contradicted herslef a lot she had me confused hell she was confused! Now Giovanni.. gurrrll he was spicy I mean yum yum yum. but anyway if you love Dmitry's Closet and I truly loved that one. I truly believe you will love this one! Great romance scenes and the secondary couples are just as explosive too! pun intended. ;(
Well here is my couple, my song http://youtu.be/u4xhep1k1-w and check out pics and quotes on http://pinterest.com/memereadslove/de...
 photo 518aaa76-b0e7-4093-a867-dbd5a2bed634.jpg Happy Reading
Profile Image for Axelle.
392 reviews66 followers
January 31, 2022
Smut was great, Mira and Giovanni were hot, but it was def too long and the ending was weird too... and I just learned that this was the first book in a 9 books series?? Im not doing it lol
Profile Image for Fashionista .
341 reviews58 followers
December 20, 2012
"Ooo...Giovnnani is so SMEXY! O_o I love his Alpha maleness! Although he is a serious tough guy most of the time, Mira brings out his softer more compassionate side. I love how his blue eyes turn that special shade of violet just for her.
I can just hear his Italian accent now - whispering in my ear: "Bella, Ti Amo!"
By the way...I absolutely love all of Mira's designs. I want her to design a wrap dress for me!
And...Sienna's rich descriptions of Napoli, Italy, give me a panoramic view of this beautiful country!
This book is a great start to a wonderfully sensual, intriguing series.

I have already started on the 2nd book in the series: Ti Amo!
Profile Image for Tanielle.
Author 0 books37 followers
January 5, 2016
A little hard to keep up with so many names in the beginning. The detail of all the fashion is something I'm not really into but I guess to someone else this mattered. Fabiana came off in the beginning as foolish and only out to get her rocks off with Lorenzo. Mira seemed like a fool to just let her get away with not taking the threats serious. The story itself was great but...the scenery and clothes descriptions seemed to go on and on when you really just wanted to focus on what was taking place with the characters. The ending was not expected but I have a feeling Kei is way more then he seems to be. Great read in all, can't wait to read the next one.
Profile Image for Joymzz.
616 reviews20 followers
June 23, 2014
AWESOME! BOOKS LIKE THIS ARE THE REASON I READ. YES, THIS BOOK WAS 6 DOLLARS ON MY NOOK BUT IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT :) LONG,KEPT MY INTEREST AND AMAZING. i CONNECTED WITH THE CHARACTERS AND FELT SO INTO THE STORY THAT I HATED WHEN IT ENDED. THIS BOOK IS THE KIND OF BOOK YOU HAVE TO REALLY LOOK AROUND TO FIND BUT ITS SO WORTH IT! :)
Profile Image for Judah.
340 reviews8 followers
June 2, 2022
4⭐️

Will I ever get over this series? Probably not 🤷🏽‍♀️ There is just something about Giovanni and Mira that just tugs on my heart😭 You can tell that Giovanni really loves her and he is literally my dream man 😩😍 This book and series has the perfect amount of mystery, action, and romance!! This is like my 4th time rereading this series and I seriously need to get it in paperback😂
Profile Image for Nock  Leighton.
213 reviews3 followers
May 20, 2021
Wow! A couple of chapters in I was comparing this to Kenya wrights Russian mafia series but this is so much better. I love that Mira didn’t know about gio’s true role. I love the side characters of Lorenzo, Catalina, Dominic and Fabiana. It was engaging and exciting from start to finish. I can’t wait to read the next book.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 183 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.