Start by marking “The Eczema Diet” as Want to Read:
The Eczema Diet

The Eczema Diet

Whether you have a mild patch of dermatitis or you’re enduring chronic eczema from head to toe, The Eczema Diet shows you how to create beautiful skin for life. Tried and tested on eczema patients for more than a decade, the comprehensive program covers all eczema conditions and features separate programs catering for all age groups, including babies.
Published 2012 by Exisle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Eczema Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eczema Diet

Start your review of The Eczema Diet
Laurie DelaCruz
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thankful for this book, and the research and thought that went into it! It requires a massive change in diet, but we are already seeing improvements in my daughter's skin just two weeks after starting.
Caitlin
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I have suffered from eczema to varying degrees all my life and have spent a lot of time dealing with it, reading to better understand it, and using myself as a guinea pig in testing what does and doesn't cause flare-ups. I am very careful about what I put on my skin. I moisturize like a fiend. I use a scent-free, chemical-free detergent because anything else makes my skin go crazy. It's a pain, but there you have it.

I'm not particularly fond of diets that promote a cleansing fast. Fasting of any
Amy
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The pros:
There is some useful information about the causes of eczema and common triggers in foods and products.
The meal plans would make it easy to get started.
Once your skin clears you can reintroduce many foods.
A lot of the eliminated foods are things you should avoid anyway (sugar, artificial colors/sweeteners, etc.)
Author is responsible, recommends consulting your doctor, and avoids a one-size-fits-all approach.

Cons:
Confusing at times to understand what foods were ok in the different
Nicole
I do not know why it has taken so long for me to get my hands on this book. I would like to give some background into where I was at when I started this book though. I have had eczema since young. I was on an elimination diet altered slightly after I stopped seeing my naturopath. I was also about 5 months into topical steroid withdrawal. At the same time I was struggling to gain weight as I had a massive drop when I did the diet. I had a fixed diet and supplement routine as well.

I liked how the
Frederic Kerr
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book advocates a wildly restrictive diet that I cannot imagine following. The author's advice at times seemed self- contradictory and illogical. I confess I did not have the will to try the diet because I was discouraged both by the restrictions and by the inconsistencies.
smgK8
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is well done. It is a commitment if that's how you want to go but I think it gives some helpful tips that you can use to change your diet without following the plan this author sets forth. A good read - it reads easily enough that you can get through it without it feeling too text-book-like even though its a large book.
Gerald Kinro
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Very informative and a good read. It lists foods that are friendly and not friendly to eczema in tabular form for easy reference. It includes a regimen for daily skin care to help. While current medical science sees no link between diet and eczema this book presents another option, especially for those who are desperate and/or wish to move outside of the box.
Saer
Jun 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good description of some human biological pathways but the simplicity and confidence in the 'fixes' seemed a bit unbelievable: science portrayed with such a high level of certainty makes me skeptical, the human body and disorders are massively complex after all.
Julie Evans
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing results

I have suffered for so long. Great to find out what I can use/eat without having Aaron flare up. Would recommend
Daniela
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vďaka tejto knihe pochopíte mnohé súvislosti, dozviete sa, ako čo v organizme funguje, ktoré potraviny sú spúšťačmi atopického ekzému, prípadne ako ich upraviť tak, aby boli pre organizmus ekzematika menej zaťažujúce. Super, určite odporúčam každému jednému, ktorý týmto chronickým ochorením trpí.
Shannon
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nutrition
I picked up this book because I was looking for another way to address my concerns with eczema. As an esthetician, I am well versed in skin care and various treatments. But I haven't been able to get control of my own dermatitis so I was looking for a dietary means to address it.

I found the information in this book to be very interesting, even if it was overwhelming. The arguments are well researched. I learned a lot and I have been giving the initial stages a go. So far, I have been
Katie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I picked up this book because my son, who has so many allergies, was having an severe flare-up. It felt like a godsend! I especially appreciate the chart on page 174. I do wonder about the scientific legitimacy of some of the claims but being one of those moms who has done everything else to remedy her son’s eczema, taking on the diet change on top of the allergies has always seemed overwhelming until now. I’ve borrowed this book from the library but am going to buy my own copy for easy ...more
Nicola
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I found the book interesting and it gave food for thought. My toddler's eczema is mild and has only appeared once secondary to her food and other allergies. I wouldn't follow the diet as it's hard enough feeding a toddler in general and that's compounded by budget and food allergies.

It has made me more aware of salicylate sensitivities.
I'm going to add ground linseed to my next attempt to make soy free bread.
I'm considering experimenting with spelt for baking.
Sue
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, medical
Easy to read and understand but may be difficult to follow the diet unless you are quite disciplined. Depending on how severe the eczema is may be the motivating factor. I still got some simple suggestions I will use and pass on to my daughter for her two sons. The author is based in Australia so her Rx and consultations may be more difficult to access for those of us in the US. She does have a Facebook page and blog.
Matilda
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, non-fiction
if you are someone in your family suffers from eczema then this is a must read book.
I would have rated this book higher but as I have already read some other health books some of the info is repeated.
I did come away armed with new knowledge and things to try and implement.
7/10
Cristina | Books, less beer & a baby Gaspar
It is a very well writen and a very complete book. Simple explanations, always supported with reliable references. Very useful if you have some degree of eczema and a very good source of knowledge if you don't. It will be one of my bedside table books, as I will return to it every time I need to.
Fran
The main thing I got from this is that to find out if a certain food is causing this, you have to eliminate it, then reintroduce it. That could take way too long.
Nikki Powers
Jan 26, 2014
Sally D
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This made some sense but I found it very hard to follow.
Evelynne
Apr 20, 2014
Victor L.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good information, but the diet proposed assumes you're in an upper middle class or better income bracket.
Suchita Ramdin (Ms)
Apr 08, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Divisadero
  • Links
  • Tropic of Night (Jimmy Paz, #1)
  • A Secret Kept
  • While I Was Gone
  • Shalimar the Clown
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • The Inquisitors' Manual
  • The Twelve Little Cakes
  • Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging  Resistant Viral Infections
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • The End of Procrastination: How to Stop Postponing and Live a Fulfilled Life
  • Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It
  • Sama sebou
  • The Good Skin Solution: Natural Healing for Eczema, Psoriasis, Rosacea and Acne
  • We Were the Mulvaneys
  • Yang Sheng
  • Sustav "Joga u svakodnevnom životu": Sklad tijela, uma i duše
Karen Fischer is a nutritionist, writer and an award-winning author with extensive experience in television, radio, event hosting and print. Karen’s first book The Healthy Skin Diet won ‘Best Health, Nutrition or Specific Diet Book’ at the 2008 Australian Food Media Awards and it's now a bestseller.

Karen loves to write and has worked as a contributor for Wellbeing Magazine, Practical Parenting,
“Sesame-free Hummus GF P SERVES 6; PREPARATION TIME 10 MINUTES (IF COOKING THE CHICKPEAS THERE IS ADDITIONAL SOAKING AND COOKING TIME) This delicious hummus can be used to accompany crackers and vegie sticks; use a dollop on salads or spread it onto sandwiches or toast for a protein-rich snack, breakfast or lunch. See Notes on following page. 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)—see section entitled “Cooking guide for legumes P” for cooking instructions (or use 1x400g/14oz can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed) 1 small clove garlic, minced 1 tablespoon rice bran oil 4–5 tablespoons filtered water 1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid or citric acid (see ‘Soaking acids’) 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt 1/2 handful or less of chopped spring onions (scallions), green parts only Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust if necessary. Add a splash of water if a thinner consistency is desired. Hummus will last for 4–5 days in the refrigerator if stored in a sealed container. NOTES This dip is wonderfully garlicky so you may want to reduce the garlic and add more after sampling.” 0 likes
“Pear Muffins P MAKES 12 MUFFINS; PREPARATION TIME 15 MINUTES, COOKING TIME 15 MINUTES 1 egg (or egg-free substitute) 1/3 cup golden syrup (for eczema-safe sweeteners see section entitled “Sweetener: rice malt syrup”; see Notes) 1 cup organic soy milk (G) or rice milk (see ‘Non-dairy milks’) 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla essence 1/3 cup rice bran oil 2 cups spelt flour (G) (wholemeal if available) 3 teaspoons baking powder (wheat-free) 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) 2 large ripe pears, peeled and diced Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Place paper patty pans into the holes of a 12-cup muffin tray (or alternatively grease the muffin tray holes with rice bran oil). In a food processor, blend the egg, golden syrup, milk and vanilla essence until smooth. Then, while the motor is running, open the shute and slowly drizzle in the rice bran oil and blend well until smooth and creamy. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and briefly mix on low speed until combined (or alternatively use a spoon to mix). Then using a spoon, gently mix in the diced pear. Spoon the mixture into each muffin cup, filling each only three-quarters. Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden on top. Test with a toothpick to see if cooked; the toothpick should come out clean. NOTES These muffins can be stored in the freezer for 3 months. If golden syrup is not available use real maple syrup or rice malt syrup (rice malt syrup is not as sweet). If using egg, don’t eat the raw muffin mixture (see ‘Biotin’). Stage 2 only: if you are not sensitive to cinnamon, sprinkle a little cinnamon into the muffin mix before cooking.” 0 likes