Start by marking “Apocalypse: An Anthology by Authors and Readers” as Want to Read:

(The Hunger #1.5)

What began as an idea soon set into motion a chain of events which would lead to the next APOCALYPSE...

I want you to imagine that the world as we know it has ended. Total Apocalypse. You only have yourself and one other person you can rely on. There is no power, no water, and you are armed with only a backpack of supplies. In your backpack there are matches, four bottles
Published November 11th 2012 by Indie Style Press

To ask other readers questions about Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalypse

Start your review of Apocalypse: An Anthology by Authors and Readers
Michael Loring
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This anthology was done through a contest held on Cynthia Shepp Book Reviews & Editing's Facebook page. Set with the guidelines of writing about the Apocalypse with only a handful of supplies, the contest took a surprising turn and, thanks to the inginuity of Cynthia Shepp, turned into this anthology!

I will give a short review for each of the eleven short stories in this anthology and then review the anthology as a whole at the end.

Enjoy!

First Story:
Fade To Black by Jase Brantson (Jayce
Terri Baldwin
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A review by Terri Kinckner

Before I begin this review, I will explain how this anthology even came to be. It started out as a Facebook contest created by Cynthia Shepp for her page. She had a few requirements and left the rest to the readers and authors that enjoy her page every day. I read them as they were posted, some were too long to post on Facebook, but Cynthia loved them and wanted to share them with everyone. Apocalypse: An Anthology by Authors and Readers, was born.

Here were the rules:

I
Magen McMinimy
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I was skeptical at first when I picked up this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. Some of these short stories were amazing and left me wanting the author to turn it into a true novel while others were good as they were; just a short peak into a post apocalyptic world built by some new and promising authors.

There were a few that stood out for me, I enjoyed all the stories, but I truly liked ‘Shelf Life’ by S.L. Dearing probably because it had a little romance to it.

'Lotion’
Anthony
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rene Folsom
The idea that several different authors could come together and write about the same subject was rather intriguing. While I love a good paranormal story, I was expecting the same’ol zombie apocalypse and was a bit skeptical about how these authors planned to be unique with their given subject limitations.

Of course, these talented authors did not disappoint! Not only were they all creative with their own individual stories, but they managed to keep me captivated through each twisted plot and
Brenda Perlin
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Apocalypse: An Anthology by Authors and Readers

I really enjoyed all the stories. I found them to be engaging and thought provoking. This is a great anthology and I am impressed with all the talent portrayed in this one book. It was cool to see what each writer would come up with when asked to write about the world coming to an end. It is an unimaginable thing to grasp your brain around and even more difficult task to write about it as if it were really happening. I can’t say there was one bad
Brittany
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: own
This started out as a project on Cynthia's book page and got turned into an anthology called Apocalypse. I enjoyed reading the other stories in this anthology. Some of them were funny while still sticking to the apocalypse theme. Some were serious giving you that full apocalypse feel. I thought a lot of the stories were going to contain zombies, but not all of them did. There were different ideas which I was impressed with like the world being taken over by vampires and aliens. One story even ...more
Bex 'n' Books
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
There's a real eclectic mix of short stories in this lovely anthology. I loved the selected theme; you can't beat a good apocalyptic story to get the heart pumping. As a whole the collections were well crafted, with lots of creative plot developments and interesting characterisations. There were two or three in particular that I prefered and really enjoyed. These were ones with touches of realism and touches of humour too. Overall very entertaining and engaging. I think the selection of shorts ...more
Samantha
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved all of the stories in this collection.

I don't normally read anthologies, but this was too good of an idea to pass up. I couldn't wait to see how each author took the same basic idea and ran with it.

As usual, most of the stories left me wanting for more (which is a good thing).

If I had to choose a favorite, I would say that it was Lotion by Jason Brant. The characters in his story held me captivated and had me laughing out loud.

Awesome job to everyone that came together to put this one
Pamela Stuard
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! Each Author nd reader have great imagination.. some of these stories were really creepy too...lol Each person put their own twist on what would literally happen if the Apocalypse literally happened. Some said it was Aliens, Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies.. To All that wrote in this book.. AWESOME effin job!!!
Natalie
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First of all this anthology was put together by a smart, savvy, reviewer/editor friend of mine. I already know what she has in her is absolutely brilliant. This started out as a contest on her book page that brought writers of all kinds together with one idea.....an apocalypse. Cynthia never ceases to amaze me with her editing skills and wonderful ideas. I am excited to see what journey she embark upon. She is a rock star through and through.
Now on with my individual takes on each story~

Story
Ashley
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really love that this was a contest that ended up to be a book! I gave 4 stars only because I wasn't a fan of the first two stories. They were very well written, I just wasn't a fan of the story lines to them. Just not my cup of tea. But don't let that discourage you from reading this book! I really enjoyed the rest of the stories! They were phenomenal and the authors are great! I actually wanted more of them! This is a definite must read if you are into apocalypse books! Very well done and ...more
Jannah
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon
Merisha28
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback-arc
Apocalypse: An Anthology
Print Length: 192 pages
Publisher: Indie Style Press; First edition (November 13, 2012)
I was given this book as a gift for review purposes in exchange for a honest review.

Cover~ I love the interesting take on the Apocalypse type of Cover. It is quite intriguing and eye catching. Makes you want to pick up the book and read it!

My Reviews~

Fade to Black by Jase Brantson
This was quite interesting short story and had a twist that I wasn't expecting. This was very very
Nicole
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The general overview of this book is as the title suggests the apocalypse. Each story shows how the writer views how the world will end. Some range from the world ending in earthquakes and fire to being invaded by aliens.

Fade to Black: this is a twist on how a guy trusts another to be able to get to his sister in what he believes is a zombie attack. When he finally gets to his sister, he finds out that the guy he'd been trusting all along was actually one of the "zombies"

Artificial Life: This
Tonya
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was unsure if I would like this anthology at first. Only because this is not the usual genre I read. With that being said, I loved it and now my husband is reading it also.

Fade to Black: I wasn't expecting how this story ended, didn't see it coming and I loved it.

Artificial Life: How would you react and what would you do if you were the cause of the end of the world? I liked how this story was told. It's different from what I've read before.

Shelf Life: This book was more along what I normally
Cheer Papworth
Apocalypse: An Anthology by Authors and Readers was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review. I am a huge fan of apocalyptic novels and I enjoy an anthology now and again, so I was eager to read this collection of macabre stories. Vampires, werewolves, zombies, aliens, well pretty much every horror your heart desires can be found in this anthology. One thing I appreciate about short stories is that the reader starts off with limited knowledge and has to construct the clues to glean exactly ...more
Kendra
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a group of some great little short apocalyptic stories! Quite creative, and a few were pretty surprising! Each story had their own setting, their own background, their own reason for the world ending, and the items in their bags were for the most part, quite different.
A few of them I enjoyed more than others, but they were all good, and it made for an easy evening read. They were well organized, well edited, and each was just the right length to fit in what needed- although I could
Jo Ransom
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book is not for the faint of heart - some of these stories are downright scary - others just frightening - all worth the read - Cynthia Shepp did an amazinf job in creating a collection of stories that not only keeps the reader's interest but make you think about possibilities
Patricia Shull
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a book filled with short stories based on a Facebook challenge, I was very impressed. Each author made sure to entrap their audience into their stories almost as if you were fighting for survival with them. I'm so happy that my sister lent the book to me, it was a very good book.
S.Diane
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

This is a collection of eleven stories written by both authors and readers. The readers are aspiring authors and many of their stories in this book were comparable to those by seasoned authors. As a lover of dystopian/apocalyptic stories, I felt myself drawn to more of the stories than others, but they each were unique in their own way. I feel that the collection has something for everyone. Unfortunately though, some were
Brenda
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Unless I miscounted there are 11 end of the world short stories in this anthology. Here is how I graded them individually:

Fade to Black - 4
Artificial Life - 3 1/2
Shelf Life - 2
Welcome - 4
Lotion - 1 star..misspelled Mcgyver!
Until - 2
Clossiana - 3
Save Me - 3
Canyon - 3; Way too much like a revamped Left Behind
What If - 0; Too short and no point
Cheyenne - 2

Overall, it was entertaining and a quick read, some of the stuff by the "readers" was promising but came off like basic fillers (anything less
Antie
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

This book was very interesting, and I enjoyed it. I am not normally a reader of the Apocalypse but I thought a book that had a bunch of short stories from authors and readers would be fun; and it was! I like how different each writer is. They all have a different idea of how the world will end, and how the people left will survive. I recommend this book to anyone who loves short stories that are given the same criteria but are very
Becca Rockafellow
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This Book is AWESOME!!

These short stories are brilliantly written. All of them are about all forms the Apocalypse could come in! Most are creepy and make you hope you could do what some of the characters did to survive!
David Hersh
Dec 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
So many terrible stories in one book...

What else can I say. Someone actually took the time and effort to amass this collection poorly framed, half written dreck. I would feel sorry for them if I didn't have this rotten taste in my mouth.

Skip it.
Ashley (Bookaholics Anonymous)
Jun 11, 2013 marked it as books-i-own-not-read
story number one- as I started reading the first ill admit I was a bit confused the fading in and out.
Danielle-Claude Mba
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like most of the stories, made me think of my own version of the Apocalypse... I don't think I will make it lol
Heather Kirchhoff
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The other stories in this are amazing! I read it in a day-I couldn't put it down. I can't say a favorite because I loved them all equally so good job to the other authors.
Robert M.
Dec 19, 2017
Donna Rader
Nov 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Independent Autho...: ON SALE for $0.99 2 11 Apr 02, 2013 01:04AM

The Hunger (5 books)
  • Devoured (The Hunger #1)
  • Consumed (The Hunger #2)
  • Ravaged (The Hunger #3)
  • Ruined (The Hunger #4)
  • Decayed (The Hunger #5)