Start by marking “The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)

The Shattered Mountain

(Fire and Thorns 0.6)

On the outskirts of Joya d'Arena, small villages fight for survival against the onslaught of sorcerers and raiders. Mara's village has been safe--so far--but Mara decides to escape anyway. Escape from her harsh, abusive father. Escape with her first love. But when their plans fall on the same day that the animagi burn the village to the ground, Mara faces losses that could ...more
Published March 26th 2013 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered Mountain, please sign up.
Deborah You’ve probably found it by now but I’ve just read this series and I struggled to find these as well. They are available on Amazon but only in…moreYou’ve probably found it by now but I’ve just read this series and I struggled to find these as well. They are available on Amazon but only in paperback as far as I can see.

Deborah
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it

This is the story of how Mara found her way to the rebellion.

We’re with her when her village is attacked by the Invierno we watch her rescue the children and help them escape. We see the steel in her as she suffers loss and pain but pushes on.

I liked Mara in the series and this she shines in the novella.
Katerina Kondrenko
9 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

This is a story about Mara, her last day in a village she came from, her way to the rebellion camp, her losses and transformation.

I started to like Mara in the second book of this series, but the short-story gave me so much more of this character, I would love to see her as MC *le sigh*

At the first pages I wasn't into this bonus (firstly, I knew about one important death; and secondly, I didn't like the world of Fire and Thorns, all its religion st
Jessica {Litnoob}
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm sorry did I ask for that pain? I thought these novellas would be quick fun reads about other people in this world. Instead you make me love these children you hurt, love Julio and take him from me, like what is this torture? Not cool but also so amazing. My favorite of the mini stories so far.
Ferdy
Mara's novella, quite liked this one. The plot wasn't all that gripping but the characters made up for that. Mara was great, her relationship with Julio and the children she was helping were written well considering how short the story was.
The novella didn't really add anything all that necessary to the series overall but it was nice to get some background and insight into Mara and her past, she was one of the best characters in the series.
Jenn
Oh this novella broke my heart.

Here we meet Mara, who lives with her father in their tiny village. Not happy with her life - her abusive father the biggest reason - she longs for the day she can run away with her love, Julio. However, when that day comes, her village is attacked by Inviernos and Mara barely escapes and now finds herself in charge of a group of recently orphaned children.

This novella just didn't let up. From the fires, to floods, to life threatening injuries, everything was throw
Nadine Jones
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of three prequels to The Girl of Fire and Thorns. The other two are best read after the main book, but I think this might be a good one to read BEFORE the main book (although, chronologically, this takes place at the same time as the events in the first half of GoFaT). This is the story of Mara, and how she joins the rebellion. Her story was really really sad, but it ends on a hopeful note.
Alaina
I absolutely loved this novella. Mara seems very interesting and I feel like she's going to become a huge bad ass. (view spoiler) I also found it interesting that Princess Elisa is mentioned, just briefly towards the end, in this novella. I have a feeling I'm going to get more about her. I can't wait to read the next novella.
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
So just like The Shadow Cats I really enjoyed this novella. It pulls you right in and you quickly grow to love Mara and Julio, and their ragtag bunch of munchkins as they trek to safety. You're rooting for them all to make it as they struggle through hunger, injuries, being hunted by Inviernos, and nature's wrath. There is definitely a moment that gets you all teared up, but then in the next moment you're smiling. It plays with your emotions a bit, but it's a great little read. And just like in ...more
B.A. Wilson
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
This novella explains how Mara became part of the revolution. Reading through these novellas has made me excited to go back and reread book one and finish the trilogy.

Pages: 106
Kimberley doruyter
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
i always wondered what happened to mara before she met the princess
VictoriaC_E1
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Shattered Mountain by Rae Carson is a novella (sort-of prequel) to the Fire and Thorns trilogy (so I recommend you read that first). This book is centred around Mara, one of the ladies-in-waiting of the protagonist of the Fire and Thorns trilogy, and how her plans to escape from her abusive father with her boyfriend get interrupted when her village is burned down by animagi (evil magicians of sorts, for those of you who haven't read the Fire and Thorns series). But Mara survives, and she mus ...more
Amber
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bittersweet. I couldn’t stop reading though.
Kelley
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vi ❤ Inkvotary
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, i-o-a-c
3.5 Stars

Style and Language
This short story is the second of the three before the actual novel The Girl of Fire and Thorns and it is about Mara.

Mara has to flee her home, not only because of her abusive father, but also because her small village was put under fire of her enemy. Together with a group of little children she flees into the mountain and has to face a lot of dangerous situations.

Although the plot has a lot of action and is very bloody and contains a lot of bravery as well, it wasnt a
Rimsha Salam
Check out my blogs for more reviews and book stuff: http://ramblingsofabookworm3.blogspot...

After reading

OMG Mara is sooo amazing !!! totally different from the quiet one we know so brave so bold and a bit selfish and totally love struck this book is beautiful! It's amazing how this little tiny novella could be soo much better and hold so much more emotion than some of the novels I've read.
(view spoiler)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
From Mara's POV. This is the story of how her village was destroyed, and how she came to join the rebels. It really fleshes her out as a character, but it is not a happy story.

Again, a really good novella.
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
Mara is finally going to leave her village and defy her father. Together with Julio, the boy she loves, Mara will run away for a better life. Just as the two meet, the village is attacked. Julio and Mara work to evacuate as many of the children of the village as they can. She will lead these children through the mountains and to the group of rebels hiding there. Hopefully they can also help her save Julio, who was critically injured in the escape.

Again, this was a novella that provided backgroun
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
“Hope. Such a dangerous thing.”

This is a short story about Mara's hard journey from her village attacked by Inviernos, throughout the Shattered Mountain and into the Rebel camp. Be warned that this is not a happy story. It actually made me tear up several times. Highly recommended for fans of Fire and Thorns.

Quotes:

“We'll carry you fo
Petar Vučković
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
It is weird for me to read these short stories. I loved the books, so much, but this feels like it it patching all the plot holes the books had and I didn't mind them at all while I was reading the books. There were some emotional parts in this second story, but overall it wasn't important in my opinion. We'll see if the third one is better that the first two!
Jenifer
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the backstory on Mara and how she got to Cosme's group. Also told more about what happened between Julio and Mara and their love story. A recommended read, but only after you've read the entire series.
Shara
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Review: 7 - Good Read

While reading my latest Star Wars pick, I realized I wouldn't finish it in time for my Wednesday flash review post. So in order to ensure I would have at least TWO reviews for you all today, I decided to put the SW novel aside and pull up Carson's latest novella on my Kindle. The Shattered Mountain takes place in the Girl of Fire and Thorns world, and in many ways, could be considered a prequel to the events in The Girl of Fire and Thorns. However, I don't feel this sto
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-sort
Keertana
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
The Shattered Mountain, as far as YA novellas go, is strong. Mara, as a character we come to intimately know in Crown of Embers, is even more deeply prodded and understood and, although this was short, it was a valuable edition to the series. I enjoyed it, but it was too short to pack the emotional punch it was probably going for. Nevertheless, a solid installment and a must-read for all fans of this series.
Heather
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this. It wasn't entirely "necessary" to the series...BUT...it was wonderful and beautiful to get inside Mara's mind and really understand her better. She was one of my favorite characters from Crown of Embers so deeper insight into her character was really awesome. I am so looking forward to The Bitter Kingdom...and the other little tidbit we'll be getting this summer! =)
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
I didn't know if I would fall for Mara outside of her life alongside Elisa. I should know better than to doubt in Rae Carson's ability to suck me in and not let me go until THE END. I have come to understand that not every story must be about Hector- but I want them to be.
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was so fun to read Mara's backstory and to gain a little more insight into why she is who she is. It was a quick read, and definitely left me wanting more!
Lady Flo
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First I decided to give 3 or 4 stars, but then thought it deserves 5)
Sounds like more adventure yet to come ^_^
Ilana
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mara has long since been a key character in the entire series and it's her turn to have a novella - to give us a sense of where her story began and how strong she truly is.  We knew her story before this novella - about how she and a boy named Julio had fallen in love and how she had plans to leave her village to be with him, but of course that all goes awry when the Inviernos come and attack her village.  So this is the story of her escape with a group of children and how they find the rebells, ...more
Heather-Lin
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am just gutted. I cried and then just as I was starting to breathe normally, I got to the bottom of the page and locked up again. Damn. Rae Carson is a beast of a story teller. She KNOWS hardship, both physical and emotional, the fortitude it takes to persevere. She also seems to intimately understand the glories and treacherousness of journeying, camping, wilderness survival. And field medicine. I EAT IT UP!

Oh, and the children. The Children! Here and in all her stories... I can't even 😻

I can
Natalie
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Other Worlds
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • Legacy Lost (The Syrena Legacy, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grisha Verse, #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Catching Suki (Lila, #0.5)
  • The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

Fire and Thorns (4 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • The Empire of Dreams (Fire and Thorns, #4)
“Hope. Such a dangerous thing.” 7 likes
“In the same way that the best lies have an element of truth, maybe evil is made all the more powerful when it is accompanied by the startling presence of grace.” 3 likes