Start by marking “Phoenix (Black City, #2)” as Want to Read:
Phoenix (Black City, #2)

Phoenix

(Black City #2)

Ash and Natalie are just starting to build a life together when things in the United Sentry States go from bad to worse. Ash and Natalie find themselves at the center of turmoil when dictator Purian Rose threatens Natalie’s life unless Ash votes in favor of Rose’s Law—a law that will send Darklings and other dissenters to a deadly concentration camp known as the Tenth.

When
Published June 4th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix

Start your review of Phoenix (Black City, #2)
Taschima
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
description

Oh gosh! This was GOOD! A great sequel to Black City. The way it just kept moving along, barely stopping to take a breath... and when it did take a breath? Even more exquisite! I thought it was going to be hard to top or even be as equally awesome Black City was but Phoenix definitely managed to beat the second book lull expectation. Thank goodness for that!

I think what made Phoenix such a success is the way that Elizabeth Richards dealt with our expectations. You would think the same old thing
Jeninne

I was all prepared to give a coherent review. And it was going to start like this: If this book had a subtitle, it would read as follows: Phoenix: A Lesson in the Importance of Communication in Relationships. Because that’s what a good deal of what th
Pilar ☽
THE CLIFFHANGER NO!!!!! HOW DARE YOU.

description

Oh my god, okay, despite the annoying characters I liked this book, I must say the storyline is great for a dystopian book. I actually bought the first book because of the pretty cover, and yeah, I still have problems with the characters but I loved the world Elizabeth Richards created. The writing style she uses to describe the setting is perfect. There's a lot of action and violence and that makes the books pretty interesting.

Now, the romance is still shi
Kat (Lost in Neverland)

When Ash can’t bring himself to trade Natalie’s life for those of millions of Darklings, her fate is sealed. Enter Elijah Theroux, the handsome Bastet boy Natalie once saved from her mother’s labs, where he’d been experimented on and tortured.

WHAT.

It was his venom the Sentry used to create the lethal Golden Haze, the heart of the government conspiracy that led to Black City’s uprising and Ash’s rebirth as the Phoenix, the face of the rebellion. Elijah is back and Ash doesn’t like him; it’s clear
Casey Ann Books
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Black City finished with that epic ending I was biting my nails for months waiting for Phoenix to arrive in my hands and it was worth the wait. From High school students to full blown action heroes! Phoenix is like a whole new level. Love, destruction, gore and heartbreak. Life has gotten worse in Black City. Purian Rose threatens Natalie's life unless Ash votes in favour of Rose's law- a law that will send darklings and other dissenters to a deadly concentration camp known as the tenth.

I h
Paula Stokes
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I am an author-friend of Elizabeth Richards, but I wasn't when I first read BLACK CITY and fell in deep, dark, twisted love with the world she created.

Without being spoilery, I can say that PHOENIX delivers more of the same violent but intoxicating landscape: the creatures, the crosses, the cult-like followers of Purian Rose--they're all still present. Rose has raised his evil to a whole new level and as a great war breaks out across the United Sentry States, Ash and Natalie find the
Giselle
Well that was one hell of a ride. It sure did remind me of The Hunger Games’ second book, “Catching Fire” though. What with the love triangle, and the sudden appearance of another character just to drive home some tension between the three characters. Did she have to be a vixen named Giselle though? Lol I still find the rebellion and the world building vaguely interesting and want to know how they take this villain down. On to the next book!
Annabelle
****FINAL RATING: 4.25 STARS****

CATCHALL
I loved Black City, so I was extremely eager to dive into Phoenix. I was nervous, though, too, because of some things in the blurb. Despite my hesitation, however, once I picked it up I simply couldn't put it down. It was fresh and fast-paced, and a wholly satisfying sequel to the first book. Everything about it was gorgeous to the point where I really can't have many complaints, and the cast of characters was as sparkling as I expected.

THE HERO
ASH
Merril Anil
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book

Nah !!!!

I know it might be the perfect book for the paranormal romantics, but for someone who has been devouring this genre; this is plain repetition and nothing else. I understand that the book has every element that worked in twilight, hush hush series and every other successful paranormal genre. yet for me it was ….Nah!!!

Let me be honest, this book is not bad but not good as well. There is nothing to the book even if it has managed to shelve out three books (god knows how and why). The boo
Nicole Wang
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, I must squeal for one paragraph. I am sorry.

OMG. THIS WAS SO....ACK!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT AN ARC OF THIS. AND HOW GOOD THIS IS. WOW. THE WAY THIS WAS...ACK. BE STILL, MY HEART. THIS IS SO AMAZING.

That was like 1% of it, but I thought I'd better get on with the review, yeah?

Okay, I absolutely have to acknowledge the romance in this. The action and the rebellion were amazing of course, but the romance! Ash and Natalie and Elijah...and Giselle, but she appears and disappears quickly. (Tha
Melissa
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This book was by far was beyond amazing. I was head over heels in love with everything about this book. Black City gets you hooked but Phoenix will keep you wanting more.

I am going to start with Ash, he is one of my most favorite male characters and he has such a strong voice. Everything about his POV will make you swoon. He is just not like any other hero, he is out spoken, sexy and will do whatever it takes to keep Natalie safe and happy. She is everything to him and he can't believe she is hi
Cheyenne
Full 5 stars on this book!!!! Holy shit! Ugh poor Ash and Natalie. Elijah ugh I feel so bad for him at the end of this novel. I’m not even going to spoil it on anyone I’m just going to say holy shit. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Michelle Wrona
Elizabeth Richards is officially the sensei and master of action novels. Phoenix was just heart-pounding and nail-biting. It was a roller coaster the whole way through and showed no signs of slowing down.

This takes place a few months after the previous book's incident. Everything is turning from bad to worse, and Ash and Natalie are in the middle of it. Natalie is threatened and the only thing Ash can do to save her is vote in favour of Rose's Law. But he can't really put Natalie first before t
Angela
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: badass-females
I think Jeninne said it all

"JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL BECAUSE I’M ABOUT TO KEYBOARD SMASH THE SHIT OUT OF THIS REVIEW WITH MY FRANTIC FANGIRL FLAILING OVER THE MOST MAGNIFICENT ENDING THAT A SECOND BOOK IN A YA SERIES HAS EVER SEEN. NO, REALLY, THIS IS DOUBLE RAINBOW STATUS. OMFG."

and I'll just leave that there lol

This series has stolen my heart. I'm not going to write a long review about it because all I would keep saying is "go out and buy this book/series" it's amazing!

Please go buy this series!
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires, melancholy
It was amazing! It was a little predictable but there were some twist that I didn't expect at all! It was an advanced copy but ithad little mistakes. I was nervous because sequals sometimes disappoint me but this one was great. I was just hoping to see Day and Beetle a lot more!
Izzy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hot daymn!!! So that book JUST DID NOT STOP! The first book left me with so many feels... I was hoping the second book could live up to my expectations, and it did not let me down!
I love the world. I love the characters. I love the due-perspective. I have one criticism and that is the same problem I had with the last book, and I'm sure I'll hate in the 3rd book, and that is one word "fragg" ughhh does no one curse in this world? It drove me bonkers. Either say the F-word or dont swear at all...f
Kayla
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was just a great and action packed sequel. I love love triangles and this consisted of one that was really well done.
Sarah Fayek
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: Yousra Bushehri
Never before have I encountered or even came across a book that has made me gasp a million times out loud throughout the entire reading like Phoenix did. This book is the definition of fast-paced storytelling. Unbelievable. I started it one night and couldn't put it down. I simply rushed through it because it was that good and I'm usually a slow reader when it comes to books I find interesting. I take my time. But for some reason with this one I couldn't help it. I needed answers.

I honestly
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The Black City series takes place in a well conceived world fraught with political oppression reminiscent of the Nazi regime (except instead of persecuted Jews there are Darklings aka vampires) with a religious and political leader determined to restore racial purity by any means necessary. The idea of a Romeo and Juliet type romance is fantastic in theory too, but in execution, it unfortunately squanders the potential of this interesting world.

The aggr
Kandise
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
If I was asked to describe Phoenix in one thought, it would be completely and utterly fucking annoying.

It started out good then it went downhill quite fast. Ash and Natalie are doing good, they are planning the rest of their lives together; singing songs, holding hands and prancing about in fields of tall grass and all that jazz, and what I didn’t quite grasp was the fact that they thought that everything would be honky dory after the stunt that they pulled…oh you know, with Ash surviving and a
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-request
I was very lucky to receive one of these well anticipated ARCs from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I loved Black City, so I was thrilled to receive this follow up. In Phoenix, the sequel, we are thrust back into the action, right where we left off in Black City. Ash and Natalie are still in love, and still reeling from the events in the last book. Rose's Law is up for public vote, and unsurprisingly, we get some sinister threats from Purian Rose, the enemy. The basic idea that Ash a
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Alright, diving right back into the series I love it. It was easy to slip right back into the world that Ms. Richards created. Every chapter leads to more action and violence. The world is falling apart quickly and the some people aren’t standing back anymore. I really loved that through out the chapters, the reader gets to know more about the city and the laws. We also learn more about Natalie and Ash’s back round history. There is even a traitor in the midst. Let me tell you that I did NOT see ...more
Jaguar
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A blonde man stands in the doorway, dressed in a jumpsuit similar to my mother's. His face is badly scarred, the flesh puckered with numerous bite marks and slashes, making it hard to determine his features. Even so, I'd recognize those bright blue eyes anywhere.

I rush over to him, tears spilling down my cheeks, and he pulls me into an embrace. That's why the voice on the radio sounded so familiar.

It's my father.

I so~ wasn't expecting this to happen. Good job Elizabeth Richards, you got me g
Jaclyn
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads first read give-a-way winner!!!! Im so excited that i got this book. I was really looking forward to reading it, however i just didnt love it. My entire problem was built around the romance. I dont know what kind of trend started with Insurgent but I hate it. The two main charecters who are in love are just thrown apart and supiscious of one another and its an awful way to drive the plot forward. I will still read the third book becuase I'm invested now but I ...more
Suneha
2.75 Stars

It was okayish but not as good as Black City, the first book in the series. This book lacked the flair and suspense that the first book had. There was very little action.
I'm noticing a trend in YA books nowadays, the first book is good, the second one is basically filler and the third book will either make up for the lack of action in the second book or suck big time. It is now upto the last book to salvage this series.
Amanda
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won an advanced copy of this book off of a goodreads giveaway. The first thing that drew me to this book was the cover and the title. It just looked amazing regardless of what was behind the cover page. I read Black City and loved it. Phoenix was everything I hoped for and more. I loved this book almost as much as the first one. It totally pulled me in from the first page and was intense all the way to the end. I can't wait for the next book to come out!
Alyssa

Summary (from Goodreads):

Ally
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won an advance copy from Goodreads giveaway.

I love the cover. It fits perfectly with the title. The cover reminds me of Catching Fire because of the fire on the feather. Amazing cover.

Phoenix is recommended to readers who like The Hunger Games. Phoenix has some similarities with The Hunger Games Trilogy, especially with Catching Fire.

This review does not have a spoiler section.

Synopsis:

"Ash and Natalie are just starting to build a life together when things in the United Sentry States go
Lauren - SERIESous Books
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Probably one of the best Book 2s of a trilogy I've ever read. This never had a dull moment. It was forever building, throwing twist after twist and keeping me sucked in. Loved it!

Full Review: http://wp.me/p7hLUw-2cq
Actual Rating: 4.5/5
Becky Rhoades
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good after you get past the political stuff. The story was very good and interesting. It took off once they escaped the city and started looking everyones parents. Like I said with the first one it is like Hunger Games/Divergent with a little twist of other creatures mixed in.

• Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Pulse (Pulse, #1)
  • Mystic City (Mystic City, #1)
  • Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • The Madman’s Daughter (The Madman’s Daughter, #1)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • Black City (Ulysses Vidal Adventure Series #2)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • Waiting on the Sidelines (Waiting on the Sidelines, #1)
  • Shutdown (Glitch, #3)
  • Here So Far Away
  • Fuse (Pure #2)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
*** NOTE TO REVIEWERS***

If you would like a review copy of BLACK CITY, PHOENIX or WINGS, please contact Penguin's marketing department at YRmarketing@us.penguingroup.com. Happy reading! :)

***************************

Elizabeth Richards is a YA author who loves books about supernatural boys, kissing and blood.

Her debut novel, BLACK CITY (Book #1 of the BLACK CITY trilogy) was published in November 20

Black City (3 books)
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
  • Wings (Black City, #3)