Start by marking “The Undead: The First Seven Days (The Undead #1-7 )” as Want to Read:
The Undead: The First Seven Days (The Undead #1-7 )

The Undead: The First Seven Days

(The Undead #1-7 )

Alternate cover edition of ASIN B00A6BEET6

A deadly infection spreads across Europe.

The Undead Series: A terrifying account of one man desperately struggling to survive this harrowing event.
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 826 pages
Published November 12th 2012

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoFeed by Mira GrantThe End by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
1,413 books — 2,982 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,578 books — 4,255 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Undead: The First Seven Days (The Undead #1-7 )
Dave Farmer
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My journey of discovering better than average ebooks by amateur writers has been a somewhat hit and miss affair. I've read a fair number of appalling attempts at fiction by people who should stick to only writing birthday card messages. I keep on reading in the hope of finding evidence that some amateur writers can in fact write, and write well enough to keep me turning the page.

When I stumbled across The Undead: The First Seven Days I was intrigued by the title, for me anything undead is worth
Kevtm
Jul 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Absolutely hated it, and this comes from someone with a huge weakness for zombie novels.

The dialogue is just terrible. As a test, drink a shot every time the protagonist calls someone 'mate'. Wake up on the floor covered in urine and realise that you've only finished one chapter.

I won't even discuss the 'plot'.
Elizabeth
It isn't often I give a book a five star rating, but this was so genuinely fun to read that I couldn't help myself.

This is a collection of the first seven books in an ongoing serial, which I didn't realize when I bought the book. I was happy about it, though - YAY! to reading it all at once.

By far, the most amazing part of this book is the relationship between Howie and Dave. Utterly believable but utterly unique at the same time.

A close second is Howie's evolution through the book, which isn't
Ian
Aug 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Despite being a huge fan of classic old zombie movies and thoroughly enjoying The Walking Dead comic and TV series I've never felt compelled to try out zombie fiction. Due to the tremendous amount of five star reviews I thought I'd give this a go.

It's terrible. I've no idea what the intended age range is, I'd probably have loved it in my mid teens, but as a forty something adult I'm looking for a lot more plot. Well, any plot would be nice. I've given up on it a quarter of the way through, the
Martin Belcher
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I havent read any zombie novels for a while, this is because I started to think they all were much of a sameness and just not interesting enough, well until I came across this novel...
The Undead: The First Seven Days is a compilation of seven published parts, originally serialised but now collected together in one big novel, so you can read it all in one go.
First of all this is a British zombie novel, something that always gets a thumbs up from me, its not that Im against American zombie, but it
David Nelson
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
More like a 3.5...

So I keep reading that Haywood is an 'amateur writer', something which I never quite get my head around as by now he's got about 20 published books. I'll come back to that.

Basically this is a zombie outbreak story which is told in a pretty straight-forward, no-frills way. Nothing too arty or weird; just following one person's story and focusing a lot on the fighting and battles - It reads like a zombie B Movie. I happen to really like zombie stories though, particularly the
Julie Greig
Be prepared to loose time!
Get settled and start ordering the next seven books or - how lovely to compile the series for us - the next weeks worth of the teams adventures.
Each book can be read on it's own but to really get to grips with the depth of the characters it is best to get them in order.
LOVE them all :-)
Vaira
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant epic zombie story. Very well written with great humour and wonderful characters. Highly recommend to any zombie or post apocalypse fan.
Freedom
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT ALL...(check all my updates for my reviews for each day) laughed, cried, went through every emotion imaginable...READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS!!!
Franco Boggle
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
the virus has a mind of its own... thats just retarded
Josh Hogan
Jan 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'm up to day 6 and I can't read any more. This book is bad. How are there so many 5 star reviews? I keep waiting for it to get better, and I've finally given up hope that it will. There are so many things wrong with it, maybe too many to mention, but I'll give it a try.

1) This story has a problem with women. Until halfway through it is really a man's story, specifically that of everyman 'Howie' and his macho buddies as they fight and swear and joke their way through an army of zombies. Our
Eric
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent zombies serie and I really had a great time with this book. There are zombies everywhere and the characters are pleasant to follow and to care for. There is action, gore and funny moments and R.R. Haywood surprised me a lot with his skills and cleverness. It's a rollercoaster's ride that you shan't forget if you have the courage to get into. Thumbs up!
John
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
"I felt the fury and rage building" ... "I looked at his face and saw the fury" ... "We attacked as one" ... "They moved as one"... bla bla bla. The author used those same lines at least 50 times in the book. There are also chapters that are just huge blocks of text with no paragraph breaks. The writing in this series is absolutely dreadful. The plot was weak, the characterization was juvenile, the dialogue was embarrassingly bad. I just really did not like this book.

I'm not sure what's up with
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
When I start reading a book, I expect to have a wonderful time all the way through it. If it's a zombie novel, I obviously expect lots of zombies and tension. As rare as it might be, this book turned out to be all that it promised; very fast-paced, entertaining and funny, It is definitely not high literature for elevated souls, but it's written in a very convincing way with sometimes repetitive dialogues that bring more reality to the plot.
There was just one point I didn't quite understand
Missy~
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-horror
I haven't read the print books, I actually listened to the audio versions available thru Audible.com. I was looking for something to feed my TWD fix.
These books are alot of fun. Set in England, the MC is Howie, formerly a grocery store manager, with his band of sidekicks, beginning w/ Dave.
Howie and Dave are awesome, with the books set in a day to day format, showing Howie learning to be a badass hero. In the first days, fighting his way to London with a mission to save his sister Sarah.
Amanda Senior
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, by far the best zombie apocalypse book I have read.

I loved each character as they developed and their unique personalities, some with social aspects meaning a struggle but all the while being bad ass! My favourite part is upcoming from the perspective of the infection, almost sentient in its approach. I found this very unique and suffered from any other post apocalyptic story realty g the zombies.
In addition i thoroughly enjoyed the banter and humour, as well as the laugh out loud
Janice Kujawa
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Words Can't Do Justice

No spoilers whatsoever. I had to wait to post this review for over 2 hours after I finished the book. When I first opened this book and saw reading time 10 plus hours I kind of inwardly groaned. I thought to myself "I LOVE ZOMBIES!!! But 10 hours of the same story....come on". I won't say I couldn't put it down but I will say it was in my hot little hands every available moment. This book was amazing. Well worth the time. Am so looking forward to the sequels. Will
Laurie C.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Undead: The First Seven Days

A epic journey not to be missed! A must for zom-pocalypse readers! This book, once you start, you won't want to stop. Because it's that good. Not because you want to finish A good story, but because you want to continue in it.
The characters are slowly blended together, so that each one you know, before another is brought into the scheme of things. I do like well rounded people, places, and great zombie descriptions. This is not a overnight read, or a couple.
Ashleigh Louise Sneyd
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Superb

I love zombie books, the biggest problem I have is I feel like some leave so much unsaid that it becomes hard to follow the story. I like that this is set in the beginning and I love the way it talks about the virus growing and adapting. Its really awesome the way the characters grew. The book made me laugh, cry and not want to put it down. Would absolutely recommend - Ive only given four stars because Id hate to give five and the rest of the books let it down
Elli Lewis
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shaun of the Dead meets The Walking Dead. This is a really entertaining Zombie story that demonstrates the excellent quality of independent authors out there. The main character is likeable, the story is gripping and it's really funny. I absolutely love Dave. As a fellow indie author, I am thrilled to be able to review this as 4* with absolute sincerity.
Chris Birrell
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adrenaline-fueled zombie classic!

The Undead: The First Seven Days is a brilliant read from the first word to the very last. Simply couldn't put it down. Great, memorable and not in the slightest bit cliched characters (or storyline) make for a stomping good read. And some original new zombie aspects add some originality into my favourite genre! Read it today!
Lisa
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Book

I have been reading this book for over a week. 800 pages of absolute fascination.
This is the first zombie book that I've read that I simply could not put down. It's not all action, though there is a lot. But the thoughts, actions and reactions all come through with simple clarity.
It's one damn fine book.
Colleen Goff
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

I read his other series and he is such a good writer I needed more! I am not usually a fan of zombie stuff but this so well written. The characters are wonderful can't wait to read the rest of the series and anything else by this author.
Mike Emeny
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lets be honest, if you're considering this book and you're a fan of zombies then you are not likely expecting 'high' fiction. I went into this on the back of the countless reviews here and on Amazon that raved about this series.

Things started off quite well. I wasn't keen on the use of present tense, and I never did like it as the story progressed. Though it started off being quite intense, and suited the story well, eventually it felt gimmicky and it just didn't sit well with me.

In terms of
Sally Sadler
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never ever thought I'd enjoy undead style books. Basically I loved the extracted series and wasn't sure about the undead stuff but my daughter got me into the tv series and I thought it was ok but lacking in many areas. But it made me think, I enjoyed Haywoods extracted stuff and the emotional mix so why not try the undead stuff. Oh wow it doesn't disappoint. I love the speed, the interactions the horror and gore and to put it mildly I litterally imagine who would play what person if it was a ...more
Phillip Pitts
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Suzette Beaudelais
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay 5 stars because he is a great writer who deserves to succeed and my policy is to ignore zombie books but I am reading this series because I read everything else and was so impressed by his ability to keep me entertained which I really appreciate. It is interesting to work your way through a favorite authors books just to see their skill developing.
There are a lot of boys who love machine guns type scenes in this book which are not my taste but I still managed to get to the next book which
LISA HAWSEY
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic!

I really enjoyed The First Seven Days! I admit I was expecting and hoping for the hilarity in RR Haywood's "Extraction Series." While it wasn't that continuously humorous, there were parts that made me laugh out loud. Zombie and post apocalyptic books don't usually have anything to laugh at, but Haywood is a master at throwing in real human emotions. Humans sometimes laugh at inopportune times. One scene had me laughing so hard I could not catch my breath. It took 4 tries
S.J. Hollis
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Ultimately I did enjoy this one. Yes there are a few typos but it's well written and full of good old fashioned British humour. I enjoyed the world and it struck me as the sort of zombie apocalypse I would like trying to survive in (as long I've got my very own Dave and Howie).

I would have preferred the narrative to be a little tighter. The 800 pages felt as though they would have been better at around 600. The narrative was a bit drawn out in places and there were pages and pages where the the
Jack
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Zombies? Really?

Pretty good for a book about zombies! Its not my normal genre, but interesting all the same.

After reading the first three books in the Extracted series by RR Haywood, I found that he had originally written a series of books about the apocalypse via a zombies outbreak/invasion.

I was a little hesitant to read a book about zombies because I had never done so before. But, RR Haywoods  writing style in the Extracted series was so well done that I decided to give it a shot.

True to
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Camping Shop: An Undead Short Story (The Undead)
  • Days 1 to 4 (Mass Extinction Event #1)
  • Realm of the Raiders (Safe Haven, #2)
  • Reap of the Righteous (Safe Haven, #3)
  • Ice (Safe Haven #4)
  • Rise Of The Rams (Safe Haven, #1)
  • Apocalypse: A Zombie Survival Thriller (Toy Soldiers Book 1)
  • Days 9 to 16 (Mass Extinction Event #3)
  • Jim's First Day (The Infected, #1)
  • The End of Everything (The End of Everything #1)
  • Alive for Now (The Infected Dead #1)
  • The Blurred Lands
  • Pandemic (The Survivors #1)
  • Road to Redemption (Zombie Road, #4)
  • Bloodbath on the Blacktop (Zombie Road #2)
  • Days 46 to 53 (Mass Extinction Event, #4)
  • Prepared
  • Thrown Away: The Complete Post Apocalyptic Series (Parts 1-7)
RR Haywood was born in Birmingham, England but has spent most of his life living on the beautiful south coast. He has had a passion for reading for as long as he can remember.
One of his favourite genres is Post-Apocalyptic fiction and he has worked his way through every book he could find. Some were great and some not so great and what he wanted was a minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day

The Undead (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Undead Day One