Start by marking “Bakuman, Vol. 20: Dreams and Reality (Bakuman, #20)” as Want to Read:
Bakuman, Vol. 20: Dreams and Reality (Bakuman, #20)

Bakuman, Vol. 20: Dreams and Reality

(Bakuman #20)

By the creators of Death Note! The mystery behind manga-making revealed! Average student Moritaka Mashiro enjoys drawing for fun. When his classmate and aspiring writer Akito Takagi discovers his talent, he begs Moritaka to team up with him as a manga-creating duo. But what exactly does it take to make it in the manga-publishing world?

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for teen
Published August 6th 2013 by VIZ Media (first published April 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bakuman, Vol. 20, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bakuman, Vol. 20

Connor
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
So I pretty much read all 20 volumes right in a row, and I almost never marathon-read series. I can easily say that I was a bit obsessed. I think more than anything this series is one of the most clever manga that I've read in addition to the fantastic art and characters. I am so happy I read it, and it will honestly help me read manga more critically from here on out. Definitely recommend this!
Faith Hicks
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-comics
Ugh, Bakuman. There are things I like about Bakuman. The art is amazing and dynamic, something pretty incredible since 99% of this book is people sitting around and talking. You can learn so much about how to make interesting comic layouts by reading this book. The peek into the Japanese comic book industry is fascinating as well. All of that stuff inspires me, and I usually finish each volume wanting to dive into making comics.

However, on a very basic level Bakuman fails. I hated pretty much a
Lila Cyclist
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Antara puas, lega, dan sayang jika manga kesayangan ini harus berakhir. Tapi seperti Reversi, manga terakhir duo Ashirogi Muto yang berhenti ketika di puncak, meski tema cerita ini memang harus berakhir dan sepertinya cukup lengkap menggambarkan kehidupan mangaka.

Puas karena semua duo sensei TO-TO mengakhirinya dengan manis.

Lega, karena hampir semua karakter muncul di lembar-lembar terakhir tankoubon ini, di saat saya hampir lupa para karakternya, saking lamanya jeda membaca volume terakhirnya
Sinta Nisfuanna
oke, walaupun Hiramaru nongol sejenak, tapi suka dengan penutupnya yang MEMUASKAN!
Lauren (LaurenHannah.net)
I don't know how I feel about the ending. It's really just... exactly what I expected. But I guess throughout the whole series, you know that it's eventually going to end in them getting an anime and a marriage proposal.
Amy
This manga series is about the trials and tribulations of a manga artist and a writer pursuing their dreams in producing excellent mangas. I took back what I said just now, it went on a very right pace, not sure 'right' is the word though! I'm very happy that I picked up this manga series. When I first heard of this manga, I kinda despised it(what a stupid mistake I made!), because I never thought a manga about mangakas will be that great! It was very popular at that time. Tsugumi Ohba and Takes ...more
Hesa Kaswanda
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another well educated manga. Bakuman would tell you how the mangaka run their activity, accomplish their dreams, and how to rise from the deterioration. I really liked how this series started and ended. At first sight, i said it would be a great story, it's mangaka life! My dream! Plus the Takagi Akito character that so cool, smart,and great. It's really rare to see what Takagi had in his character which i only could see it again on Yoichi Hiruma's character. And it ended in a sweet scenes, even ...more
Jenny (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
So happy to have finally finished this series! This last volume was great and I was happy with how things ended. It was a predictable ending, but it's what I'd been waiting for!

This series overall was very enjoyable and a great insight into the manga industry, but it definitely could have been about 5 volumes shorter. Some of the storylines were unnecessary and just made the series drag.

The major issue that I had with this series (and what made it less enjoyable overall) was how incredibly sex
Amanda Setasha Hall
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zzz-2017, manga
Yup. Cute fluffy ending. I called it.
This manga could've ended in about 10 volumes.
I felt like the series dragged on a little too far. The beginning and the end were definitely enjoyable though.
Montserrat Esteban
Me ha encantado como acaba esta serie. Nos demuestra que si te esfuerzas puedes conseguir lo que quieras
Manu
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lloré, lloré, lloré y seguí llorando.
Qué hermoso final!!!! Dios!! Mejor imposible!! Gracias por tanto Tsugumi Ohba y Takeshi Obata, no tengo palabras para describir la inspiración y la alegría que me generó este manga!!!
Sin nada más que decir... Your love~♡
Gabrielle
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My current all time favorite manga series, one of the well written and drawn series out there

Finally after more than a year of trying not to read the scanlation version of this series, I've bought and read all the English editions of the tankobons and I am really happy to read such a good series. I read this in one sitting dying to finish and get my thoughts about it. Man, I might say it almost made me tear up, I know it is not a serious drama/slice of life manga but it kinda hit home. Your firs
Miss Susan
i'd like to be that classy lady who doesn't make speculations about authors' personal lives based off their work. i'd like to be but i'm not because gossip is super fun and lbr, nothing i say here is ever going to reach ohba or tsugumi in any way, sooooo

anyone else wondering if the whole drama attached to ending reversi was influenced by death note? 8D? because i think it's sort of universally agreed that the series just wasn't the same after l died so i can't help suspecting that maybe ohba's w
Hollowspine
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe that it's the last volume of Bakuman. The story of Mashiro and Takagi had me hooked from the very beginning, at first it was would they produce a series, would they beat Nizuma, what could they come up with next! Then, slowly, would Mashiro and Azuki ever get together?

It was fairly romantic for a Jump series, which is a bit surprising. Most stories, even in SJ do have an element of romance to them, but this was the first one I've ever read where it was a major part of the plot. S
Steven S
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Penutup yang memuaskan"

Setelah bergulat sepanjang ini, akhirnya Bakuman sampai pada akhir kisahnya.

Tidak ada yang bisa saya katakan, selain memberi dua jempol untuk "kisah seorang pasangan yang berusaha mewujudkan mimpi dan cinta mereka". Saya menikmati cerita yang disajikan komikus Death Note ini, soal naik turun layaknya hidup. Bagaimana mereka berjuang dan tetap saling dukung.

Di atas semuanya itu, saya kira apa yang ingin disampaikan sang komikus adalah "ingin hidup yang sukses, salah satu
Kate
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall, this was a good series. There were some over-the-top arcs that I could have done without (Nanamine), and the sexism was irritating at times. I enjoyed following Takagi and Mashiro's story despite the flaws in the series itself.
cindy
*read scanlation version*

THE END!
*still have book hangover... no review yet, just 5 stars*
Harry Roberts
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a perfect ending to a perfect story!
Mal
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll write a real review later
Right now I'm just crying

I'm going to miss this so much
Ben Truong
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Bakuman: Dreams and Reality continue where the previous tankobon left off and contains the last eight chapters (169–176) of the on-going manga series.

With her confession on the radio, Miho Azuki opens herself to the public and she promises to answer each question honestly. Moritaka Mashiro and Miho Azuki's relationship is unconventional, they known each other for ten years, hardly seen each other, encouraging each other via text or the occasional phone call, and the furthest they've gone is hold
Tyler Wanden
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paul Spence
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Volume 19 did an excellent job of returning Miho to the spotlight, and Volume 20 takes advantage of the buzz generated from the public declaration of her relationship to Moritaka. She already had a lot riding on the Reversi audition, and the stakes shoot through the roof when it turns into a live Internet competition. Shonen manga is all about battles, and the climax of Volume 20 is a voice actress battle!

Actually, the underlying concept is kind of far-fetched. Despite the hype touting the audit
Travis
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, manga
When Mashiro and Takagi are in 9th grade, they make a pact with Azuki, the girl Mashiro has a crush on. She will become a famous seiyuu and they will become famous mangakas, and when their manga gets made into an anime, she will play the heroine. And when that day comes, when their dreams come true, Mashiro and Azuki will get married. The manga spans the next eight years and follows their manga career through its ups and downs.

I love Obata's art with a passion. He is one of my favorite artists,
Pyone Lei Lei Mon
My first finished manga series had not failed me. I'm glad that I had read this despite the flaws of the plot, mainly, where the female characters were just put in the box and none of them stood out to me as a heroine. The sexist remarks of the main character also pissed me off from time to time, which was why I only gave three stars to some of the books. According to some of the reviews, this series being published in last decade doesn't really justify the sexist comments. I am interested to re ...more
Maud
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose Gold Unicorn
Sebenarnya gak begitu tertarik dengan kisah cinta azuki dan mashiro. Tapi nggak bisa dipungkiri, justru alasan itulah yang membuat mashiro berjuang keras buat jadi mangaka terbaik. Dan perjuangan-perjuangan yang dilalui ashirogi muto itulah yang sebenarnya menarik. (Tapi, tetap jangan lupa “akarnya” adalah cinta. Pret!)

Ya, okelah.

Social_Sloth
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect ending. A wild ride but perfect. Of course, I wanted to see a few more things... What am I saying, I would be happy to read about these characters until the day they died. I loved this volume and I am sad that I have finished the series, but it was so well done that I just can't stay unhappy.
David Wei
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The end. Once again Ohba and Obata deliver a classic that will live on long after the series last chapter's publication.

I'm glad I read it, it motivated me to work harder to reach the various goals I'd set for myself (not to the point of ending up in the hospital like Mashiro of course).

Thanks for ride.
Zombie_Phreak
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
A Great Ending to a Great Series!

Well, nothing lasts forever. This series had a wonderful ending. Our heroes achieved all their goals and had their hearts desires fulfilled.

It was a great story and I loved it!
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 8
  • 銀の匙 Silver Spoon 1 [Gin no Saji Silver Spoon 1]
  • 乙嫁語り 8 (Otoyomegatari, #8)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 10 (Yotsuba&! #10)
  • Cross Game 3 (Cross Game, #6–7)
  • Planetes, Volume 3  (Planetes, #3)
  • Welcome to the NHK, #5
  • 山田くんと7人の魔女 9 [Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo 9] (Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, #9)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 08 (Kekkaishi, #8)
  • Platinum End Chapter 1 (Platinum End Chapters)
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is spe

Bakuman (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Bakuman, Band 1: Traum und Realität
  • Bakuman, Volume 2: Chocolate and Akamaru (Bakuman, #2)
  • Bakuman, Volume 3: Debüt und Ungeduld
  • Bakuman, Volume 4: Phone Call and the Night Before (Bakuman, #4)
  • Bakuman, Volume 5: Yearbook and Photobook
  • Bakuman, Volume 6: Recklessness and Guts
  • Bakuman, Volume 7: Gag and Serious
  • Bakuman, Volume 8: Panty Shot and Savior
  • Bakuman, Volume 9: Talent and Pride
  • Bakuman, Volume 10: Imagination and Presentation (Bakuman, #10)