Start by marking “Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 3” as Want to Read:
Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2  3

Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 3

(Dragon Ball Omnibus #1)

Akira Toriyama's groundbreaking, iconic, bestselling series now in an omnibus edition!

A seminal series from a legendary creator. Dragon Ball, a wry update on the Chinese "Monkey King" myth, introduces us to Son Goku, a young monkey-tailed boy whose quiet life is turned upside-down when he meets Bulma, a girl determined to collect the seven "Dragon Balls." If she gathers
Published June 4th 2013 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1

Start your review of Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 3
Khurram
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I can't help but be very disappointed with this book. My kids are fans of Dragon Ball Super, I grew up on Dragon Ball Z but never got round to watching the original. After reading the beginning I was glad I missed it. It was not till issue 14 that anything I liked from the series was even shown.

There is more innuendo then action in this book. The story is very slow moving, the art work is great. I like a couple of in "breaking the 4 wall" speech, and in fairness the books started to get a lot
RG
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first manga read and I really enjoyed it. I initially had reservations but eventually entered the world. Great characters and plotting even if pretty simple. Its a little childish at times and even a little perverted ( whats with the panties obsession). Definitely going to continue this one. Its a simple adventure story collecting 7 dragon balls to provide the ultimate one wish.
Molly
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Still good! Simple, shallow fun ( even with this much poop humor or panties ), is something I crave once in a while (especially, while or after reading something heavier).

I would have given it a higher rating, if not for the crappy translation. Well, it wasn't the translation per se....it's just ... when I read Son Goku's opening line, my skin crawled. Does someone that has lived in a forest, his grandfather being the only human being he has known for all his life, go and greet the monkeys with
Nicola Mansfield
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Vol. 1: The Monkey King (1985) - I know absolutely nothing about Dragonball going into this. Since I read so much manga now I thought it would be good to introduce myself to some old school popular series and decided to give this a shot. I found this first volume absolutely hilarious and such a fun, compelling story with so much happening. Goku is so cute and naive that I loved him right away and the shots of him without his pants on are a riot because he looks like a toddler, even though he is ...more
Jake
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this for a book club I am leading. I didn't expect to enjoy it at all, Dragon Ball Z is not my thing, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Because of how early in their careers the characters are, their powers are toned down and not quite so ridiculous. Goku is still the epitome of a stupid shonen lead character, but the supporting cast he has are interesting.

Quite a bit of the pervy humor in this volume hasn't aged great, seeming to come out of no where, and just not be that funny. If this
Brandon St Mark
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun read! Aside from the toilet humor (which I normally like, but was done to death in this), this was actually probably one of the best opening volume I've ever read from a manga. I think I'll like it a lot more once I get to the time jump (what is called Dragon Ball Z in the anime), becausd I've heard it gets a little more serious, but kid Goku is still fun to read about!
Theresa
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I forgot how much I love manga!
Megan Krauth
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books
Little Goku is the cutest!
Ben
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dragon Ball (ドラゴンボール), one of the most popular manga series of all time, was created by Akira Toriyama in 1984, Toriyama doing all of the writing and drawing himself. It ran to 1995, serialized in the manga anthology, Weekly Shōnen Jump. There are 519 chapters, collected into 42 tankōbon (volumes) by the publisher, Shueisha. That’s just a phenomenal volume of material - we’re talking something like 30,000 pages! The whole lot was translated into English from 2003 to 2006, also by Shueisha.

Dragon
James DeSantis
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this last year but I guess I never reviewed it. Thing is I read all of Dragon Ball in Korean when I was 10. More like looked at all the pictures and guessed what they were saying. Dragon Ball has a ton of humor though and I missed that. it wasn't until I was older I got to read Dragon Ball in english. Now that it's here what do I think? Well shit man, this is fun stuff.

What I liked: All three stories connect. Especially the first two arcs (volumes) is all about fun goofy adventures with
Jordan Evans
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first dive into manga comics, though this is far from my first exposure to the Dragonball Series. I have very fond memories of coming home from school, turning my TV to Cartoon Networks Toonami, and watching Dragonball Z. It an amazing series, and so it was natural that I would start my Manga reading here.

Apart from there being a few different names than the ones that I'm used too, the comic read really well, and it is absolutely hilarious! It's easy to forget that this whole
Laurian Vega
I'm just really not sure how to feel about this book. I mean I understand that it was the start of this great series, but around every turn there was something that was deeply unsettling and misogynistic. I can't get over the drugging of the main female character and the pig character trying to get into bed to molester her, or the fixation over women's underwear. It was all just overwhelmingly gross and really distracted me from reading the book. I had to have many conversations with my 10yo ...more
Julian
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Knowing how prolific the Dragon Ball franchise is, I thought I’d check out the original manga.

This thing is so well done. While you can fly through the panels in almost no time, there are so many cool details in every background.

There’s tons of humor, and the story and characters are great.

I think these three-volume books are perfect because it seems like a chapter only lasts a few pages. I’m looking forward to collecting more.
Kate
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some might not consider it a 'book' book, but who cares? This is nostalgic Dragonball, right here. Only true fans have started here (or gone this far back). Yes, there's some pretty juvenile humor (and some of it is a little outdated for our times), with a basic storyline that doesn't get interesting until Volume 3, but it's still fun to make connections between DB and DBZ (and beyond!) and see how Toriyama's storytelling tone had evolved over the years.
Derryn
This is the second read through of Dragonball for me and I enjoyed it even more this time. I feel like the perverted humour isn't for everyone.
however I absolutely adore the characters, Goku is truly one of the cutest, sweetest and most innocent characters I've ever read about. Every single time he'd "pat pat" I almost died laughing!
Volume one
Volume two
Volume three
Jorge Pinto
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although I think it starts slow (being that the first volume feels to me like a standalone story), the second and third volume, for me, lift the series up and left wanting more. Love the art and the goofy writing, 4,5 stars!
Elias Alexander
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This has probably been one of my great read experience since Naruto.
The three volumes was so great and so many great story lines. Goku is definitely a favorite character. He is just so innocent in mind. I’m excited to follow his journey and watch him grow.
Jesus
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cómics-en-casa
I was a big fan of the TV series as a kid and I thought it'd be nice to go back to this. It is OK, but quite frankly, the sexist jokes are not even funny (I don't think I got them even as jokes when I was a kid). I can't believe such a sexist book got this famous.
Tommie Diloreto
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. Can see why the series became as popular as it did
Bradley
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, best-of-manga
Dragon Ball is special. It has charm, humor and a mythical story. A story of truly wild adventures!
Martin McNeill
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
More "pat pat" than expected! ...more
Maddy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Oh my god, this was not what I expected. Japan in the 80s must have been a totally different timeline, because this would not fly if it was written in 2019.
Jack
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t expecting this to primarily be a goofy & immature comedy, but it works for the most part. The art is super cute, too! Wasn’t expecting that either.
Krys Kamenou
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How can you not fall in love with Goku!
Benny Regalbuto
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
There’s beauty in simplicity. The story isn’t thrilling, but the characters are lovable (mostly – looking at you, Master Roshi) and the art is gorgeous. Not much more to say, honestly.
Travis
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My fourth book for #bannedbooksweek this year and a frequently banned / challenged graphic novel, according to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

Not my meat, nor is it going to win any feminist awards, but fun.
ik.ben.henri
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was very good, art, story, the dry, absurd and childish humor. I love it!!

(Akira Toriyama must also be a car enthusiast. Damn! The cars Bulma and Yamsha drive in this volume are some very iconic WRC Rally cars: an Abarth Fiat 500, Volkwagen Golf MK 1, Renault 5 turbo,... awesome! Awesome!)

The only complaint I have is that the page format must be different than the original manga. Because on some pages the art is cut off... hmmm... Probably the original artwork didn't leave enough bleed for
Emaan
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pauline Stout
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I never saw the cartoon/anime of this and when I saw the manga at my comic book store I had to get it. I know this is a classic and I wanted to see what the hype behind it is. For me this seems to be another case where the story is good and I can see why people like it but I'm clearly not the target audience for it. It way too juvenile. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it was just distracting for me.

First of all, I have no idea what this books obsession with panties is but its way out of
Cara McWhirk
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was lent to me over the summer and I hadn't yet read it. A lot of my friends are into dragon ball and I figured "what's the harm in giving it a shot?" I was pleasantly surprised, however, and as soon as I was finished with it I wanted to keep reading the next! I thought the story was pretty good, and while there were a lot of pervy jokes, they didn't get in the way of making it a nice read. I also enjoyed how the first chapters were in color before going into black and white, because ...more

• Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Naruto: Omnibus, #1)
  • One Piece: East Blue 1-2-3, Vol. 1 (One Piece: Omnibus, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 9
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • Vinland Saga, Volume 1: For Honor and Vengeance
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • ワンパンマン 9 [Wanpanman 9] (Onepunch-Man, #9)
  • Saga: Book Three
  • One Piece: East Blue 7-8-9, Vol. 3 (One Piece: Omnibus, #3)
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2: Includes Vols. 4, 5 & 6 (Naruto: Omnibus, #2)
  • Vagabond, Vol. 1
  • Akira, Vol. 3
  • One Piece: East Blue 4-5-6, Vol. 2 (One Piece: Omnibus, #2)
  • モブサイコ100 1 (Mob Psycho 100, #1)
  • One Piece: East Blue 10-11-12, Vol. 4 (One Piece: Omnibus, #4)
  • ワンパンマン 8 [Wanpanman 8] (Onepunch-Man, #8)
  • Frankenstein
  • ワンパンマン 7 [Wanpanman 7] (Onepunch-Man, #7)
Akira Toriyama is a widely known and acclaimed Japanese manga artist known mostly for his creation of Dragon Ball in 1984. It is difficult to pin point the source of Toriyama's artwork inspiration. He admires Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy and was impressed by Walt Disney's One Hundred and One Dalmatians, which he remembers for the great art. Jackie Chan's early movies had a noticeable influence on ...more

Dragon Ball Omnibus (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2: Includes vols. 4, 5  6
  • Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7: Includes Vols. 19, 20  21
  • Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8: Includes Volumes 22, 23  24
  • Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 9: Includes Vols. 25, 26, 27
  • Dragon Ball (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 10: Includes Vols. 28, 29, 30
  • Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 11: Includes Vols. 31, 32, 33 (DragonBall, #31, 32, #33)