Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5

Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5

(Fullmetal Alchemist: Omnibus #5)

Bargain omnibus editions of one of the bestselling manga series of all time!

In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical ""auto-mail"" limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking the one thing that can restore his and his brother's bodies...the
Published July 9th 2013 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5

Start your review of Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5
Sara
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
This volume is the tipping point. This is the final share of explanations and this is were the story kicks into the final stretch.

Its almost impossible to not draw paralels between amestris and the nazi army. The battle, the philosophy behind them and the thirst for extermination. Still, I felt Arakawa did a great job exploring the soldiers perspective and the perversion of war.

Also, a good chapter for the homunculi and the introduction of Father.

The bonus chapter was really sweet and I wish
Filipa
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
So good to be back to this story. I love everything about it. I love how Hiromu has this extraordinary ability to bring such great strong emotions with her drawings. I love the love, the pain, the difficulty of knowing what's right, wrong and duty. In this one volume in particular we tackle heavier storylines than before, our characters are growing and keep on reaching for their goals. It's as beautiful as ever, and then some more.
casey
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-comics
dare I say..... even better than the anime?
Andrew
I don’t know where to begin. Does it matter? Nope. Each of these volumes continued and exceeded the greatness that preceded it. Arakawa, you wild, creative wunderkind - you throw in the profoundly ridiculous manga funny with profoundly moving manga serious. And a little horror, and a little war time realpolitik.
Wow. This arch of the story seriously had me riveted. We find out a lot here, and it seems that the story is now about to take on a new wind in its sails. But, wait a sec, I haven’t orde
Bradley
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
What an excellent piece of manga. My head tilted inwards during those lose last few chapters. We see, just like in Berserk, how we could live in such a sad state of affairs and for Fullmetal we all turn towards the past at a war in Ishbal.

Now, I felt split about this. I suppose I still do. If Ishbal remained a mystery I’d be perfectly content. The need to flesh out every nook and cranny of a plot can really kill the spirit for me. So far we’ve been given snippets of Ishbal from each character
Karissa
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Series Info/Source: This is the 5th 3-in-1 volume in the Fullmetal Alchemist series and contains volumes 13-15 of the original series. I purchased this copy.

Story (4/5): The first part of the story is spent with Ed, Envy, and Prince Lin stuck in Gluttony’s stomach. They struggle to find a way out of this disgusting domain. I really enjoyed this part of the story and how we learn more about the homunculi and about the Father of all Homunculi. The second part of the story is spent mostly with Colo
Estrella
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books, manga
Luckily for me, the next volume is already in my possesion, cause o my I am loving this series and I must keep reading it for the sake of my own sanity.

Arakawa put so much depth and thought into this story. She does not shy away from the gruesomness of war and makes you rethink everything you once believed to simply "be as it is".

Also, I love the extras in this one. Especially the short story from volume 14 was very cute.
Eva Najeh
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, manga
So dark, so real !
Jessie_Book
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book focuses a lot on the Ishbalan war which is a big part of the Fullmetal Alchemist lore and extremely important to the story overall. Knowing that I still found a good chunk of the end a little dull. The parts that went dull were overly graphic with their violence, like unnecessarily so.
aleksandra
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this series really just takes it all outta me but in the best way
Karen
Oh damn. Things have finally taken a turn for the worst. The story was considerably darker in these volumes (despite no important character, for once, dying). Tensions escalated as the Elrics and Mustang realized their dark suspicions about Bradley and the homunculi were true - and they witness the power of Father.
But perhaps the hardest thing to read was the final volume in this installment, which finally turned its focus to the Ishbal genocide campaign that happened some ten years ago. Since
Saphirablue
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dubzor
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lt. Hawkeye is the sh*t!!!
Mal
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
And yet again, Fullmetal Alchemist receives a 5 star rating from Mal.
Jose Hernandez
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FullMetal Alchemist Vol. 5 was a very interesting book. It starts off with Ed, Al, And Winry in this village that its main focus is selling auto-mail. Winry would want stuff and a new automail hand but Ed sees a competition of automail hands arm wrestle. He would join in and would beat the guy and many of the fixers would tell the guy if he needed a fix but all of them would crowd over him and a girl would pickpocket him and would leave to sell his watch but Ed would find her and attack her to g ...more
Taylor Ramirez
Maja Helena
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*The story of Fullmetal Alchemist, following the Elric brothers, is the perfect story. It has everything: The balance between dramatic moments and moments of comic relief is amazing, the characters are well rounded and has great growth and, finally, it deals with difficult subjects in a nuanced and respectful manner.

Also, the art style is amazing – especially in those comic relief moments! It’s just priceless! That in memoriam part at the end of each volume is just hilarious! *

This volume is th
Barbara
In the midst of a battle with the homunculus known as Gluttony, Ed, Envy, and Prince Ling are swallowed and tossed into a strange dimension. When they finally escape, they are face-to-face with a being known as "Father", who is the creator of the homunculi and who offers Ling immortality--by bonding him to Greed, which Ling readily accepts.

Colonel Roy Mustang, who has been working with Ed and Al for some time now, learns how deep the corruption in the Amestrian military goes. Chapter 15 of the
Tessa
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genocide
I loved Brotherhood, but I felt its Ishbal arc was weak. It just didn't have the weight or time spent that it needed. Turns out the book is once again better than the movie. Arakawa spends an entire volume on the atrocities in Ishbal and the blood Mustang, Armstrong, Hawkeye, Marcoh, Knox and the rest have on their hands.

A weaker story would make Mustang and co the good guys who went through that war honorably. Or it would make them irredeemable. Arakawa takes the much more difficult narrative
connie
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-i-ve-read
Adam Spanos
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, viz
The fifth volume of Fullmetal Alchemist heavily features the Amestris military and it's members, as well as the series major villains. After fighting Gluttony, the Elric brothers come face to face with the man who created the Homunculi. It's quite interesting to see the full power of the villains on display, and I'm not sure where the series is going to go from here.

The entire last 15 issue collection is devoted to a flashback to the Ishvalan civil war. Arakawa clearly had one eye on the occupat
Carey
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe how much I like this series as manga has been so far out of my comfort zone. It's amazing how relevant the Ishbala and government corruption stuff is more than a decade after this was written. I know Ed and Al are the main characters, but I'm now also super invested in Mustang and Hawkeye and Armstrong (who I thought was a throw away character!). And I'm still waiting to find out more about Granny Rockbell's past...
Francine
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
No one dies in the first two volumes, which surprised me, but then thousands of people die in the third one and I wasn't surprised at all. 😅

I enjoyed the long flashback in this omnibus. I feel like the main story isn't progressing very fast, but instead of that we got a lot of backstory, so my emotional connection towards (some of) the characters is growing stronger. I like what happened to Lin, it seems to suit his character.
LJ
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I have never known a manga to make me so emotional.
This volume was incredible. So dark and real. It was able to make me laugh then cry within a few pages. I loved it so much.
Also, the cover is awesome. Fav cover so far.
Luke Latimer-Palomeque
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal stuff. Really gets into the dark history behind the series.

Has some deep and painful real world moments that resonate with wars we see every day.

Absolutely amazing. Best so far!
OneOfNyn
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm really liking this story and where it's heading. The flashback was a little much, and I would've liked that part a little more if it had been more dispersed within the other volumes.
Suzette Banick
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I have already seen brotherhood, reading the flashback to the Ishbal massacre was hard. Good story, very emotional.
Jessi
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
The whole volume was basically one long back story...
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • ワンパンマン 9 [Wanpanman 9] (Onepunch-Man, #9)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 3 [Boku No Hero Academia 3] (My Hero Academia, #3)
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Naruto: Omnibus, #1)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 2 [Boku No Hero Academia 2] (My Hero Academia, #2)
  • One Piece, Volume 76: Just Keep Going (One Piece, #76)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 4
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 雄英白書 I 1-A:授業参観 [Boku No Hero Academia: Yuuei Hakusho I] (My Hero Academia Light Novels, #1: Parents' Day)
  • One Piece: East Blue 1-2-3, Vol. 1 (One Piece: Omnibus, #1)
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • ヴィジランテ -僕のヒーローアカデミア ILLEGALS- 1 [Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals 1] (My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, #1)
  • 暁のヨナ 25 [Akatsuki no Yona 25] (Yona of the Dawn, #25)
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 2 [Fumetsu no Anata e 2] (To Your Eternity, #2)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 6 [Boku No Hero Academia 6] (My Hero Academia, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: The Valley of the White Petals (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • 進撃の巨人 18 [Shingeki no Kyojin 18] (Attack on Titan, #18)
  • ハイキュー!! 2 頂の景色 [Haikyū!! 2]

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and d

Fullmetal Alchemist: Omnibus (9 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1