Start by marking “You Cannoli Die Once (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
You Cannoli Die Once (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #1)

You Cannoli Die Once

(Italian Restaurant Mystery #1)

In this entertaining and delightful mystery, an Italian chef and her cousins start their own investigation to clear their grandmother’s name after she’s arrested for murder.

Published May 28th 2013 by Pocket Books

"Avonna
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun and fast read! This first book of a cozy mystery series is set in an Italian restaurant with all the cousins, friends and of coarse a nonna. I would like to see more character development, but I was surprised by who was the killer, which makes it more enjoyable for me.

Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Text Addict
I wanted to like this book more than I did, because it's extremely witty, and in the way I like best. The characters are funny and (mostly) endearing, though I wasn't quite sure how to take the plethora of drama-loving, high-energy Italian-Americans (including the main character). They were really almost over-the-top - but funny.

The down side, and the reason I'm conflicted about the book, is that Eve (the main character) apparently knows so little about the world outside of restaurant cooking (
Jenni Schell
Aug 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to say that I did not enjoy this book. I wanted to like it, I truly did. But from the beginning , I found that I didn't enjoy the characters. By the end of the book, I didn't even care who did it. Sadly, I just wanted the book to be over.
Kerrie
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kerrie by: library display
I thought that the mystery portion was alright, but I really began to dislike the main character.
Things that annoyed me:
-the need to describe _every_ article of clothing - I'm reading a mystery, not Vogue.
-the main character's offensive comments / attitude about other women in the story (some of which are supposedly friends) only serve to fulfill a distasteful stereotype.
-the unnecessary Italian phrases scattered throughout.
-the complete lack of concern for any sort of legal procedure not only
Sabra
Jul 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
I absolutely disagree with others reviewing this as a "fun" cozy. Nothing fun about it. Boring. Unlikable characters, especially the main one. Throw in a ton of stereotypical Italian surnames and I stopped reading after 34 pages.
Judie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read many mysteries with women who step out of their usual roles to try to solve a murder. I’ve read many with quirky characters. I rarely read one that makes me laugh out loud. YOU CANNOLI DIE ONCE is the rare one that is also genuinely funny.
Eve Angelotta was a Broadway dancer who fell off the stage during Step in Time in “Mary Poppins” and broke her leg in two places. While she still loves dancing, she returned to her Quaker Hills Pennsylvania home to become the chef of her grandmothe
Cheryl
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Eve Angelotta works at her family’s restaurant, Miracolo. She is the chef. However this does not mean she gets full control. She is constantly at odds with her grandmother, Maria Pia Angelotta. No matter how much Eve and her grandmother might argue she would never imagine her grandmother would have it in her to kill, especially her grandmother’s boyfriend.

You Cannoli Die Once is the first book in the Miracolo mystery series from author, Shelley Costa. I thought that this was a fun, good cozy my
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Can I recommend this book to all lovers of mysteries, humor, and more....Yes! Yes! Yes! This debut novel will have you laughing, crying, puzzled, and dancing the Tarantella while singing! The novel had all things Italian/American and the food...oh my!

Having grown up in the 50's on in the state of California, it would have been almost impossible not to live next to an Italian family. Especially in the San Francisco Bay Area.

We have Nonna, Maria Pia Angelotta (76yrs young) and her Granddaughter,
Jim
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Bummer. I was actually looking forward to reading this book. I'd met the author, Shelley Costa at this year's Tucson Festival Of Books. However the book all but put me asleep. It's plot is so heavily laded with food preparation of Italian dishes, and fashion dos and don'ts. Not that I have a problem with Italian dishes but my Cardiologist has banned me from pasta. So far as fashion, I admit I'm clueless and bored with the whole topic. ( I hate the phrase "Chick book", but actually it is.) The pr ...more
Loraine
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenges-2015
SUMMARY: At Miracolo Northern Italian restaurant, one can savor brilliantly seasoned veal saltimbocca, or luscious risotto alla milanese, but no cannoli. Never cannoli. Maria Pia Angelotta, the spirited seventy-six-year-old owner of the Philadelphia-area eatery that's been in her family for four generations, has butted heads with her head chef over the cannoli ban more than once. And when the head chef is your own granddaughter, things can get a little heated.

Fortunately, Eve Angelotta knows ho
LORI CASWELL
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
What a tasty debut!! Eve and her Nonna don’t agree with what’s on and not on the menu but she knows her grandmother didn’t kill anyone. Eve pulls her friends and family together to do whatever they have to so she is cleared of the crime and back at the restaurant where she belongs. Even if it means breaking and entering!

When you pick up this book be prepared to laugh and laugh a lot. This is a true group of quirky characters and I was surprised at their depth for this being the first book in the
Nora-adrienne
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
A fantastic new series has entered the Culinary Cozy field.. The characters are out of this world and act just like any family I knew growing up in the Italian part of East New York in the '50's. I'm looking forward to book 2 in January as a personal birthday gift.
Melodie
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
This was a pretty good first outing. Good characters, even if the grandmother did annoy the crap out of me most of the time. Good story and even though I'm not big on Italian food, this book made most of it sound good! I'll definitely read the next one. Recommend!
Cornerofmadness
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Kellene
In spite of a slew of reasons not to, I liked this book a lot. The characters were numerous and all peculiar, so they did jumble up in my mind. And Eve lamenting her former dancing career got very old very fast. But I loved the family bonds and when I grow up, I want to be Nona. I thought the story moved quickly and it kept me engrossed. There was enough confusion to throw me off the killer's trail several times, and I was not onto the murderer until Eve had put it together. All-in-all, this was ...more
Karen Cleary
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I've seen this in our library, but always been put off by the title, however after reading the Val Cameron books I decided this would be worth it. It's not as good as the Val books, but entertaining enough for a few hours. I didn't like the main character as much, and had difficulty keeping much of the supporting cast sorted out; the burglary sub-plot was very obvious, and the main plot solution a bit contrived (even though there is a clue in the first chapter).
Terri
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - quirky characters, funny prose and situations. Loved the main characters.
Mary Ann
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very funny, kept me guessing. Easy read, very enjoyable.
Melody
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveacopy
Too, too, too wordy. Over the top and not funny. I do want to make the cannoli recipe though.
Alise HARRIS
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was pretty good, except for the name of the grandmother. Maria Pia? It sounds like something from a Dr. Seuss book.
Janet
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun book to read! I'm an avid reader who enjoys "cozy mysteries" and quirky book titles. Coming from an Italian background, of course I had to read this. A promising mystery series :-)
Ellen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, mystery
Looking for something light to read, I found You Cannoli Die Once. I was right. It is light. It is funny. Try the cannoli recipe. Or sing Three Coins in the Fountain.
Karen Holman
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This story was difficult to keep the characters identified without having a list of who was who. The setting was the East Coast and a clever solving of the mystery. copy right 2013
Karen
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has great characters, plot, descriptions and moves along quickly. The humor in it is well done also.
Debbie Lester
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finding a man in your dumpster and a body in the kitchen might seem unusual, but not for Eve Angelotta and the crew from Miracolo Italian Restaurant. Shelly Costa's, You Cannoli Die Once will have readers laughing, right along with solving the whodunit, in this well written cozy mystery. With an over-the-top Italian family, a ban on cannoli's and a murdered boyfriend it couldn't be anything but... eccentric and exciting!

What I liked:

The Italian Restaurant mystery series starts off with a bang, i
Christyn
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You Cannoli Die Once (I liked the play on words) was an entertaining read. That being said it wasn't a particular stand out in the genre. I liked it - well I liked the characters (well, some of them anyway) and the mystery was interesting - I didn't figure it out early on in the book, so that's a plus. There were certainly humorous parts in the book.

The characters were…colorful. Eve came across as the most 'normal' of the bunch, simply because she was the only one not keeping secrets relating
Clay Stafford
Edgar Award-nominated author Shelley Costa has put the fine touches on the start of a new cozy series centered around a restaurant owned by four generations of Italians and a killer with an ax to grind. “You Cannoli Die Once” looks to be the first in what may be a long line of wonderful books in this series.

Packed with flavorful humor as well as mystery, the story is set in Quaker Hills on the outskirts of Philadelphia. The death of the 76-year-old matriarch’s boyfriend has the family questionin
E.
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
4 1/2 stars

"You Cannoli Die Once" by Shelley Costa is a fun cozy mystery that starts a series that features a colorful Italian family which owns a restaurant named Miracolo that has mementos from the great Caruso adorning its walls. Eve Angelotta has had to shelve her dreams of becoming a famous dancer after an unfortunate accident but she has poured her energy into being the head chef for the restaurant which is firmly under her grandmother's rule. She is prepared to deal with everything in her
Penny McGill
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
It's my lucky week for cozy mysteries. This one is a first book from Shelley Costa and the next one in the series will come out in January 2014. What a wonderful gift for the New Year!

Shelley blends two wonderful worlds in this mystery - an Italian family running a fantastically popular neighbourhood restaurant PLUS a chef who was a former Broadway dancer. The family cooks and bakes together in their fancy industrial kitchen (with all the mouth watering stoves and tools you wish you had enough m
Moondance
It was 11:53 p.m., and the late-night regulars showed no sign of leaving.

Eve Angelotta is the head chef of her family's restaurant, Miracola, near Philadelphia. Her grandmother (nonna), Maria Pia Angelotta, is a force to be reckoned with and often provides the entertainment for the restaurant. Eve stumbles over a body in her kitchen which turns out to be nonna's boyfriend, Arlen Mather. The murder weapon is Eve's mortar which was used to bash in his head. The Angelotta family has a collection of
Free Books, .99, ...: Two Shelley Costa Mysteries 1 12 Jun 25, 2014 06:25PM

• Plum Deadly (Pie in the Sky Mystery, #1)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
  • Death Al Dente (A Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1)
  • Death Rides Again (Jocelyn Shore #3)
  • A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods Mystery, #1)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Monument to the Dead (Museum, #4)
  • That Old Flame of Mine (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #1)
  • A Chili Death (Classic Diner #1)
  • Gluten for Punishment (A Baker's Treat, #1)
  • Murder and Marinara (An Italian Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #1)
  • Hearts of Sand (Gregor Demarkian, #28)
  • Scent to Kill (A Natural Remedies Mystery #2)
  • Fleur de Lies (Passport to Peril, #9)
  • Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1)

Italian Restaurant Mystery (2 books)
  • Basil Instinct (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #2)