Start by marking “Death Angel (Alexandra Cooper, #15)” as Want to Read:
Death Angel (Alexandra Cooper, #15)

Death Angel

(Alexandra Cooper #15)

Perennial New York Times bestselling crime novelist Linda Fairstein explores the rich—and little-known—history of New York’s City’s Central Park in her latest Alexandra Cooper novel, Death Angel.

In her fourteen bestsellers, Linda Fairstein has enthralled millions of fans with her trademark style that infuses fascinating New York City history with breathtaking suspense. She
Audio CD, Unabridged, 13 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Penguin Audio (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Death Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Angel

Start your review of Death Angel (Alexandra Cooper, #15)
Barbara

In this 15th book in the 'Alexandra Cooper' series, Assistant District Attorney Cooper and her colleagues, Detectives Chapman and Wallace, investigate the murder of a homeless girl. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

A young homeless girl, dubbed "Angel", is found dead in Central Park and the trio of Assistant District Attorney Alex Cooper,

Detective Mike Chapman,

and Detective Mercer Wallace investigate.

The three professionals are friends as well as colleagues and enjoy joking, dining, a
Patrice Hoffman
I have finished reading the fast-paced Death Angel by Linda Fairstein. This is the first novel I have read by her but this isn't the first novel she's written. Death Angel is 15th in the Alexandra Cooper series. Alexandra is an Assistant DA for the Manhattan Special Victims Unit (yes like Alex Cabot on Law and Order). The latest case she's been called in on involves a girl found dead in Central Park in one of their ponds/lakes under the watchful eye of the Bethesda Angel.

Mike Chapman and Mercer
Julie Horner
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right off the bat, please note, I am a fan of Linda Fairstein's books/novels.

I know a lot of reviews have mentioned the story line between Alex and Mike, being too much in this book. However, I disagree. After reading all the Alex Cooper books, it is about time Linda plays a little more deeply between Alex and Mike. This doesn't mean things will work for them, but it is fun to finally see the two of them "admit, flirt" a little bit more to their true feelings.

The story line with a death in Cent
L.A. Starks
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine book. Although I have a few critical comments, they are in the context of a strong series written by a professional--Ms. Fairstein is professional both as an author and as a sex crimes prosecutor.

That said, this book veers hard toward a regional cozy. Lots of romantic tension. The setting is Central Park, a New York landmark, so the book should appeal to New Yorkers. For the rest of us, the writing sounds like research download about the Dakota, the Ravine, Sheep's Meadow, and the
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
A lot going on in Linda Fairstein's Death Angel. A young girl's nude body is found in the Ramble. She's probably homeless, since many youngsters live in that part of Central Park. It's a "dog" of a case, and Alexandra Cooper is surprised that the DA and her boss, Pat McKinney allow her to keep it. That is until she learns that her best friend, Det. Mike Chapman has a stalker.

A high powered one at that. A batshatty judge that he'd been assigned to as a part of a protective detail. Judge Pell wa
Pamela Mclaren
A very good read and mystery although not one of those big surprises as I got closer to the conclusion, I could almost guess what would be happening but it was a fun read and kept me interested straight through.

Linda Fairstein's main character, prosecutor Alex Cooper, is a tough, gutsy gal and while I like her a lot, she could easily become too much and behave in a manner that I wouldn't have expected of someone of her experience (and before anyone says it, yes, I realize that even supposedly s
Fredrick Danysh
After a body is pulled from a pool in New York's Central Park, ADA Alex Cooper must overcome personal problems to catch a sexual predator. Meanwhile, Detective Mike Chapman has to deal with a jealous female judge that he had a brief affair with. The two also deal with a decade old cold case involving the disappearance of a rich three year old girl.
Cornerofmadness
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Kelley Blanks
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than anything else, I love Linda Fairstein's books for the in-depth information she gives about Manhattan. I could plan a trip around her books alone.

This outing finds the characters combing through Central Park for clues in the death of a young woman whose body is found in a body of water under the statue of an angel. The information about the park is wonderfully intriguing and I have to admit to looking some of these things up later!

Linda Fairstein is not the best technical writer, but sh
Jackie
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I might have given this one 2 1/2 stars but couldn't quite bring it up to three stars.

It's been awhile since I read an Alexandra Cooper/Mike Chapman/Wallace Mercer book. So I can't speak to what I remember of the characters from before. But, frankly, with "Coop" being the central character in the book I found her to be pretty vague. I got no sense from this novel of her personality, she was just someone who acted at times in one way and then in other times unexpected ways. I couldn't define her
Kathy
There are authors whose fictional works are some of the best trip guides and historical background guides to the settings of which they write, and Linda Fairstein never fails in he presentation of fascinating facts about New York City. Each book in the Alex Cooper series opens up an area or landmark of NYC to the reader, revealing secret tidbits that somehow become integral parts of the story. And, there is always great story to unfold and enjoy.

In her fifteenth novel in this series, the area of
Skyqueen
Well as always I've learned a LOT and in depth about NYC as well as being taken on a unique murder mystery. This time it was about Central Park. I had NO IDEA that it is TOTALLY man made!! /And/ that there is a buried village under it!! An act of imminent domain it seems. And we learn a little more about how the Rich and Famous (Robin Cooke anyone?) live. Keep up the good work Ms. Fairstein and most of all thank you again for your career as the ADA Sex Crimes Division though I do not live there. ...more
Chris F
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is a very pleading return to form for Fairstein after her previous book Night Watch , was OK but not one of her better works. In Death Angel she gives us all our favourite characters doing what they do best. Although you do have to wonder at times how with two of New Yorks best cops looking out for how Alexandra Copper gets herself into and usually out of so many life threatening situations.
Alexia Gordon
Jun 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Predictable plot, two-dimensional characters bordering on caricature, a protagonist who seemingly can do no wrong and who faces no real challenges--people seem to give her whatever she wants without putting up much of an argument, let alone fight--and who seems to be able to get away with things no one would get away with in real life, like mouthing off to her boss and starting an affair with a cop she might some day have to call to testify in a case she prosecutes. Can't call.it a thriller beca ...more
Judie
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nude body of a young woman washed up in The Lake near the Bethesda Angel in Central Park. She had been dead for at least two weeks but placed in The Lake only two days before she was found. She had no identifying marks or other information to help determine who she was or how she got there. Three valuable and unusual items, old silver replicas of some of Central Park’s best known features, were found near that area. New York City Assistant District Attorney Alex Cooper and Detectives Mike ...more
Mason
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Combining a grizzly murder, buried secrets and the luscious layout of New York’s Central Park prove to be a good match for author Linda Fairstein’s latest Alex Cooper thriller, DEATH ANGEL.

Narrator Barbara Rosenblat does an excellent job giving distinct voices to the returning characters of Fairstein’s series, as well as new ones. Her cadence pulls you in holding you captive as she vocalizes the depth of Fairstein’s words. Rosenblat has you gasping for breath right along with the characters.

When
Quillracer
Fairstein’s last book wasn’t as good as her prior ones. It just didn’t have the strong story or good tension of those other books. Fairstein had just lost her husband around the time she was writing it so she was entitled to a pass. She’s back on track here.

The Central Park murder of a homeless girl leads to the solving of the disappearance of a three-year-old child almost fifty years earlier. Meanwhile, both Alex Cooper and Mike Chapman are dealing with a problem that could derail both their ca
Marca
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always learn something about New York when I read Fairstein. This time it is the history of Central Park and the Dakota Apartment building. Prosecutor Alex Cooper and her buddy police detective Mike Chapman are on the scene for the murder of a young woman in Central Park. In trying to identify the young woman and her killer, Alex and the police wend their way through the characters that inhabit the park, including homeless addicts and youth. They find there are hidden cubbies and caves where s ...more
Kathleen Hagen
Death Angel, by Linda Fairstein, b-plus, Narrated by Barbara Rosenblat, Produced by Penguin Audio, Downloaded from audible.com.

In this entry to the Assistant District Attorney Alexandra Cooper series, Alex and her homicide detective partner, Mike Chapman, are trying to solve a murder where a young woman is found brutally murdered with no clothes and no identifying marks, so no one knows who she is. But Alex thinks her murder holds the same MO as murders committed by a man she tried for murder a
Audrey
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyc
I wanted more park, less Falcon Crest.

Interesting opening scene, body found in Central Park Lake, under a famous angel statue, which means you start gearing up for some informative and in-depth NYC history, all super good, then BAM! 100 pages of ridiculous soap opera drama starring the scintillating Alexandra Coopah! With everyone tossing their heads and snapping at each other, slapping each other for sass, stalking out of places, like--

What? What? No! Stop it! Go solve the damn murder! Body! Mu
Jill
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifteenth crime novel featuring 38-year-old Alexandra (“Alex”) Cooper, 38, the prosecutor in charge of the Special Victims Unit in Manhattan District Attorney’s office.

Alex has been called to the scene of a murder that took place near the Angel of the Waters statue in Central Park. Summoned as well is her friend and police SVU detective Mercer Wallace, and homicide detective Mike Chapman.

Because the crime has taken place in Central Park, the police need to scan the park for clues, s
Paige Turner
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually just read three of this author's books in the Alex Cooper series. Killer Heat, Silent Mercy and this one, Death Angel and I have to say I found all three disappointing. Alex Cooper is supposed to be an Asst. NYC DA and the head of the Special Victims Unit, yet she is treated like a helpless female by several men, particularly her boss, DA Paul Battaglia and the male lead, Detective Mike Chapman. She is often pooh-poohed for her thoughts and ideas by both these men. Basically, she is t ...more
Nicole
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-authors
I gave this book 5 stars more for the historical info rather than the storyline.

One of the thing I enjoy most about the Alex Cooper series is the historical info about NYC that Linda Fairstein weaves into her fictional storyline. I learn something new with each book. This particular one centered around Central Park. The Dakota featured prominently as well. Even if you've lived in NYC all your life, I bet you'll learn something new from Fairstein's research.

I was a bit disappointed with the Coo
Galen Johnson
While the plot of this novel was a bit stronger than Fairstein's last few books, the writing was distractingly bad in many places. "Her great good looks"?!? "The cool water refreshed me instantly--as both a drinking source and a foot bath." Stilted and unnatural, this type of writing repeatedly detracted from the pace of the novel, along with terrible dialogue...two sentences after a doctor refers to the re-assignment of patients to other hospitals during Hurricane Sandy as a diaspora, Alex says ...more
Michelle
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the disappointment of the last couple of Linda Fairstein novels I had vowed never to buy any of her books again but when I read that this new novel would be set in Central Park I couldn't resist and I'm so glad that I relented and bought it.

Death Angel has all the elements that have made me love Linda Fairstein's books - Coop, Chapman and Mercer and most importantly all of the well researched historical facts about New York which make them seem so authentic.

I couldn't put this book down an
Andy Plonka
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
Not one of her strongest, yet there is a lot of interesting lore about Central Park in this one. Weak points are too much back story about the main characters, not essential to the plot and avid readers of the series already know about Alex Cooper, Mercer and Mike. Also Fairstein reverts to the classic heroine in peril scenario several times in this book which weakens Alex Cooper's credibility as a street smart advocate for women. Strong points are the details about New York, Central Park in par ...more
Mary
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, mcl2015
I enjoyed all the NYC history. I felt like there was a lot of background on the characters that I didn't know (this is a late entry in a series) which made the relationship parts of the book (which were extensive) confusing and not very interesting. The crime did not get a lot of focus and seemed a bit tacked on to the history and the interpersonal intrigue.
Sheila
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this series. This is #15 and didn't disappoint. This one deals with deaths in Central Park in NYC. A lot of history about the park. It made me want to visit.
Tesser White
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. No gore, good mystery & great character development. I definitely want to read more of her books! ...more
Jane Russo
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, Fairstein is back with her fast paced, information packed story lines. I'm hoping Luc is gone for good because the last two books were horrible.
This book could have been edited to half its size 4 23 Dec 11, 2014 10:15PM

• 1st Case
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • The River Murders
  • Fire and Ice (Liam Campbell, #1)
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
  • Grievous Sin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #6)
  • When My Time Comes: Conversations about Whether Those Who Are Dying Should Have the Right to Determine When Life Should End
  • The Theory of Death (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #23)
  • Treasure Hunters: The Plunder Down Under
  • The Beast (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #21)
  • Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #7)
  • Lost
  • Kill the Messenger
  • The Scarlet Letter Society
  • Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)
  • The Last Enchantments
  • The Idea of Love
Linda Fairstein (born 1947) is one of America's foremost legal experts on crimes of violence against women and children. She served as head of the sex crimes unit of the Manhattan District Attorney's office from 1976 until 2002 and is the author of a series of novels featuring Manhattan prosecutor Alexandra Cooper.

Like Fairstein, Alex ('Coop') Cooper is in charge of the Special Victims Unit of th

Alexandra Cooper (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1)
  • Likely To Die (Alexandra Cooper, #2)
  • Cold Hit (Alexandra Cooper, #3)
  • The Deadhouse (Alexandra Cooper, #4)
  • The Bone Vault (Alexandra Cooper, #5)
  • The Kills (Alexandra Cooper, #6)
  • Entombed (Alexandra Cooper, #7)
  • Death Dance (Alexandra Cooper, #8)
  • Bad Blood (Alexandra Cooper, #9)
  • Killer Heat (Alexandra Cooper, #10)

News & Interviews