Start by marking “Leaders Eat Last” as Want to Read:
Leaders Eat Last

Leaders Eat Last

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  8,147 Ratings  ·  708 Reviews
The highly anticipated follow-up to Simon Sinek’s global bestseller Start with Why Simon Sinek is an optimist, a visionary thinker, and a leader of the cultural revolution of WHY. His second book is the natural extension of Start with Why, expanding his ideas at the organizational level. Determining a company’s WHY is crucial, but only the beginning. The next step is how d ...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Portfolio (first published December 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Leaders Eat Last, please sign up.

Boni Aditya Video vs Book

The discussion is quite simple.
Video - Watch and forget
Book - Read, Remember and Refer!

If you are busy - and you don't have a week to…more
Video vs Book

The discussion is quite simple.
Video - Watch and forget
Book - Read, Remember and Refer!

If you are busy - and you don't have a week to spend on a book - then watch a video! But it is never a substitute for a book. I have watched almost all the ted talks for the last four years. I gained a lot of knowledge from them but when it comes to application none of that knowledge comes out at the right time to be useful.

Out of the very good books that I have read - I remember a lot - Black Swan - Blink - Outliers and now this book - I have watched all Simon Sinek's videos - All of them - But they are never equal to the information and delivery that a book gives you!

Book is about printing the information into your head - It is the way you load new software into your brain. Video is merely for entertainment - content that is designed to get you off your seat and get the high! The interesting stuff is usually in the details - which only a book can deliver!(less)

Muneel Zaidi
As a U.S. Air Force officer and pilot, I receive professional military education on leadership regularly, so much so that it is almost a nuisance. From personal experience, I can firmly say that great leaders are not born, they are developed by their experiences and knowledge. The knowledge from this book has definitely made me a better leader.

Sinek's main purpose in writing this book is not to help others become better leaders so that they can jump up the corporate ladder, motivate subordinate
Tyler Hurst
Jan 14, 2014 Tyler Hurst rated it it was amazing
While this didn't blow me away like Start With Why did, it did validate a lot of things I've always hoped were true.

First, good leaders empower their teams to function on their own, and this often means that once leaders move on, continued or increased success isn't necessarily because you left rather because you were there.

I can think of a few groups I've been involved in that did this, which makes me feel great.

Second, that team creation is the most important thing of leadership. Recruiting an
Maya
May 20, 2014 Maya rated it liked it
Truthfully, you are better served watching this brief TED Talk delivered by Simon Sinek himself. Here: http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_...?

The book is bloated and unconvincing stretch of some already very simple ideas. No need to tell me about the chemicals of human survival or studies with statistics out of context which are not representative in the least...
Tim McLynn
Mar 29, 2014 Tim McLynn rated it it was ok
I'm disappointed with the goodreads reviewers. They lead me astray with this one. I feel like I just read one long string of business cliches strung with scientific definitions. Is the author, Simon Sinek, profound in telling us that a company with a trusting, comfortable environment with intelligent, genuine and caring leaders will be more successful than one without? That seems obvious. Sinek rebrands this idea as the Circle of Safety, an environment necessary for the well-being of humans, a s ...more
Morgan Blackledge
Apr 07, 2015 Morgan Blackledge rated it really liked it
God dang this is a good book. I have to say, Sinek NAILED IT!

Sinek is a Brit, and therefor different than an American in an absolutely crucial way.

Like other British intellectuals, he's not afraid to integrate the evolutionary perspective into his theory and analysis.

Maybe it's because Charles Darwin is British. Maybe it's because all of the super psycho religious fanatics came over here (America) circa 300 years ago. Probably a little of both.

What ever the reason. British intellectuals demonstr
Matthew
Oct 09, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
Started and ended well, but I didn't enjoy the middle as much.

With that said, it is still a worthy read, and here a few of my favorite takeaways...

"Empathy is the single greatest asset to do your job"

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader"

"It is not the genius at the top giving directions that make people great. It is the great people that make the guy at the top look like a genius"

"No one wakes up in the morning to go to work with t
Ryan
Jan 25, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio book version.

The basic premise of this book is that some teams work together and some teams don't. This books is how to create a culture in the workplace of safety, connection, caring and commitment. Using many examples and anecdotes from big corporations to the military the author shows how leaders can bring groups together.

One of the most interesting and unexpected parts of this book is a thorough analysis of how basic biology plays a role in our workplace environment. Th
Michael
Mar 04, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pln, leadership
Incredible. Love the concept of the Circle of Safety. Great tie in to recovery and Step 12. Sinek examines how four chemicals incentivize and repeat behaviors. They are:
Dopamine - Gratification, tied to addiction
Cortisol - Fear, stress
Oxytocin - Serving, being a part of
Endorphins - Runner's High

Makes a strong case for Empathy as a major missing component in organizations.

"Empathy is not the something we offer to our customers or our employees from nine to five. Empathy is, as Johnny Bravo expla
Christine Hamblen
Jan 28, 2014 Christine Hamblen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is packed with relevant stories of effective and ineffective leadership, giving me the insight and strength to recognize applications in my own life.
Lazybee
Oct 22, 2015 Lazybee rated it liked it
Worth it.
Ursula Kallio
Jun 23, 2016 Ursula Kallio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Meh. Within this book, Sinek summaries my own experience reading his book: "This is no soapbox rambling. It is just biology." Actually, it is soapbox rambling.

Although unsurprising based on his background, Sinek writes from a heavily military-oriented perspective. I found myself needing to inject "she", "her", "they", and "their" an awful lot because this book reads old fashioned. It makes the female workforce somewhat invisible by omission.

Content I found useful:
* "A consumer is just that: an a
Jacob
Jan 31, 2014 Jacob rated it it was amazing
Well, I figured it would be near impossible to do better than his first book, "Start With Why" and this comes really close :)

I watched the introduction video of Simon's on YouTube and was really surprised when he talked about good leadership being a "literal" part of human survival. I didn't see how a leadership book was going to go there but it did.

The book sticks to science by discussing in part how our own physiology as humans plays a part of our own satisfaction in the work place. This break
John Britto
Jul 29, 2015 John Britto rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book of inspiration to become a leader. This book takes us to the next level of success as it’s from the author of “START WITH WHY”, Simon Sinek. In this book Simon Sinek tells us the roles and responsibilities and dos an don’ts and skills and the path to choose, about and become a leader and this list evolves… It contains many good inspiring stories of the successful businessman and their way to reach there.

I like the following words from this book, “Leaders are the ones will
Nathan Kitzke
Jan 08, 2016 Nathan Kitzke rated it it was amazing
If you think you are doing the right things by investing your time and energy in your people, this book will reinforce your confidence in those actions. This book helped reinforce those principles and ideas and also reminded me when I've fell short. Sinek's first book, "Starts with Why" answers the "why," this book answers the how: apathy, building an organization focused on its workers and customers first which allows the organization's mission to thrive. Great book!
Bo
Feb 14, 2014 Bo rated it it was amazing
Start with Why was the if-you-read-one-book foundation. Leders eat last is building on it - into new thought provoking dimensions. Some are too self evident to be taken into account. Many will think that the sense making recipes are too naive to be taken into account in the quarterly capitalism carousel. I think differently - they have to be taken into account in the exponentially growing technology and information mess - otherwise we will really get lost.
Tsvet Todorova
Nov 30, 2014 Tsvet Todorova rated it it was amazing
I love this book. From my experience in the real world, I have noticed that many companies sees their employees as expendable and not as important. I really love his book and I believe everyone should read it- especially people managing other employees. It explains a lot how to actually motivate your staff by looking at them as an asset rather then just anything else.
Jennifer Hovanec
Jun 19, 2014 Jennifer Hovanec rated it it was amazing
This book is my go-to management bible. This is the type of leader that my field (and my future teams) deserve to have. If you're looking for a book to help you figure out how to get your management game on point, try this one. Also, take a gander at his TeD talks. They're worth the time.
Jessica
Mar 12, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Nathan Farley
Mar 16, 2017 Nathan Farley rated it really liked it
This is a very informative book, but it wasn't what I was expecting. This book is designed for the person who is leading specifically in the business world. I was hoping for a book that applied to all forms of leadership, and while some of his principles can be used universally, you will have to do the work of figuring out how. Simon is incrdibly informed and does a great job explaining how we got where we are today in regards to leadership in business.
Jack Korpob
Feb 07, 2014 Jack Korpob rated it it was amazing
I won this book as part of the 12 Books Reading Club and was very excited. I had previously watched Simon Sinek's TedTalk and was blown away at his charismatic way of speaking and the passion that was clear in the message of that specific video, based off Starts With Why, his first book.

Well, I got the book I started reading immediately. I found myself totally in it, meaning I started to reflect on my own leadership style and my personal life. I never do this, but I started taking note of page n
Surya Kumar
Dec 15, 2014 Surya Kumar rated it really liked it
Sebastian Gebski
Jun 30, 2015 Sebastian Gebski rated it really liked it
If you manage through some parts that are barely bearable for non-US reader, it's solid 4 stars.
What parts are these? For instance: full of pathos references to U.S. Marines, all-the-way analogies between belonging to company & to family. Simon is a great speaker, a good writer, but ... sometimes he just goes to far - not even in terms of conclusions, but in his analogies & parallels. It may still be ok for US readers, but not in Europe, sorry.

Anyway, back to the book:

It's not really a b
Abilash Amarasekaran
Jan 30, 2015 Abilash Amarasekaran rated it it was amazing
Leaders eat last can be simply interpreted as putting the need of other people in front instead the need of yours. It is an age old saying but people don't really understand it and how it affects the people around you.

The other thing he explained is that people follow leaders who not only inspire others but also give them a noble reason to follow them. He gives many examples and stories that shows and explains how empowering others and letting them want to help you makes you a better leader.

He
Sajith
Aug 06, 2015 Sajith rated it really liked it
Leaders Eat Last - by Simon Sinek , is a nice book. In this book author very well explained how a leader should be and how a leader should not be. The leaders is one among us who hold superior quality and skills between people The leader is the one who should inspire, motive and lead his followers to achieve their objective. The leaders is one who protects his followers and who take responsibility of all his followers. The leaders will be the one who cares first for their team . Few quotes i lik ...more
Vikram Kalkura
Feb 16, 2015 Vikram Kalkura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So not as good as Start With Why and the reason to pick this book was start with why was very impressive which made me recommend that book to others.
About this book, quite a few interesting take aways. The circle of safety concept and the Empathy that everyone needs to cultivate to move the organisation to a higher successful venture.
Examples of Jonny Bravo, few other military leadership concepts, apple, Jeff sinegal were really good. Needed more such examples.
Spends a lot of time explainin
Briana Ford
Like many people, I loved Start With Why, and was really anticipating this book. Wow, what a let down. Simon's thoughts were sort of all over the place. It started out strong, providing great examples of good & bad leaders, how leaders can influence company loyalty. Then there were parts of the book where I was like "what is he talking about and what does this have to do with leadership?" He'd get to the point eventually, but he was reaching more often than I would've liked. Stopped 84% into ...more
Nick
Feb 13, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
This simple, clear book outlines the responsibilities of leaders, heavily based on insights gained from studying the Marine Corps. Sinek’s book touches on the biology of leaders and tribes – what feels good, what drives us, and so on – but at heart this book is really a sermon on leaders and what it means to accept the mantle of leadership. We need more leaders, Sinek says, by which he means responsible leaders, and one can only wholeheartedly agree.
Yigit Konur
Dec 05, 2015 Yigit Konur rated it it was amazing
I love to read books connect our current behaviors with ourselves from ancient times by using science of evolution. This book helps me a lot to understand 21th century's leadership requirements with using great references to evolution which force me to make empathy on my own business career. Not only evolution but also using quotations from human anatomy and hormones makes all information more trustable. I get many inspirations and happy to read this book!
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Why do some people hate their jobs while others love their jobs? It all depends on their leader. A good leader is that important. End of story.
Pap Lőrinc
Mar 24, 2017 Pap Lőrinc rated it really liked it
Though a bit verbose and America-centered (trying to find evolutionary causes for every modern event, like a psychotherapist blaming your childhood for everything), it's a very good book about empowering people, so that they'll be able to take your place, when needed.
A good leader trains people, so that when she leaves, they can continue without her.
"In physics, the definition of power is the transfer of energy."
A good leader is a mentor, someone who admits weaknesses and builds on the strength
Gen Y 1 3 Jul 19, 2016 10:45AM
ترجمه کتاب: رهبران آخر از همه می خورند 1 4 Dec 09, 2015 11:07AM
12 Books - Author...: Leaders Eat Last - February 2014 23 70 Feb 27, 2014 02:33PM
  • Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • Quick and Nimble: Lessons from Leading CEOs on How to Create a Culture of Innovation
  • Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well
  • Good Leaders Ask Great Questions: Your Foundation for Successful Leadership
  • Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities That Make Us Influential
  • Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • The Customer Rules: The 39 Essential Rules for Delivering Sensational Service
  • The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Team of Teams: The Power of Small Groups in a Fragmented World
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World
Simon Sinek is an optimist. He believes in a bright future and our ability to build it together.

Described as “a visionary thinker with a rare intellect,” Sinek teaches leaders and organizations how to inspire people. With a bold goal to help build a world in which the vast majority of people go home everyday feeling fulfilled by their work, Sinek is leading a movement to inspire people to do the
More about Simon Sinek...

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” 62 likes
“the true price of leadership is the willingness to place the needs of others above your own. Great leaders truly care about those they are privileged to lead and understand that the true cost of the leadership privilege comes at the expense of self-interest.” 32 likes