Start by marking “Leaders Eat Last” as Want to Read:
Leaders Eat Last

Leaders Eat Last

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  13,669 Ratings  ·  1,127 Reviews
The highly anticipated follow-up to Simon Sinek’s global bestseller Start with Why Simon Sinek is an optimist, a visionary thinker, and a leader of the cultural revolution of WHY. His second book is the natural extension of Start with Why, expanding his ideas at the organizational level. Determining a company’s WHY is crucial, but only the beginning. The next step is how d ...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Portfolio (first published December 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Leaders Eat Last, please sign up.
Boni Aditya Video vs Book

The discussion is quite simple.
Video - Watch and forget
Book - Read, Remember and Refer!

If you are busy - and you don't have a week to…more
Video vs Book

The discussion is quite simple.
Video - Watch and forget
Book - Read, Remember and Refer!

If you are busy - and you don't have a week to spend on a book - then watch a video! But it is never a substitute for a book. I have watched almost all the ted talks for the last four years. I gained a lot of knowledge from them but when it comes to application none of that knowledge comes out at the right time to be useful.

Out of the very good books that I have read - I remember a lot - Black Swan - Blink - Outliers and now this book - I have watched all Simon Sinek's videos - All of them - But they are never equal to the information and delivery that a book gives you!

Book is about printing the information into your head - It is the way you load new software into your brain. Video is merely for entertainment - content that is designed to get you off your seat and get the high! The interesting stuff is usually in the details - which only a book can deliver!(less)

Muneel Zaidi
As a U.S. Air Force officer and pilot, I receive professional military education on leadership regularly, so much so that it is almost a nuisance. From personal experience, I can firmly say that great leaders are not born, they are developed by their experiences and knowledge. The knowledge from this book has definitely made me a better leader.

Sinek's main purpose in writing this book is not to help others become better leaders so that they can jump up the corporate ladder, motivate subordinate
Maya
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Truthfully, you are better served watching this brief TED Talk delivered by Simon Sinek himself. Here: http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_...?

The book is bloated and unconvincing stretch of some already very simple ideas. No need to tell me about the chemicals of human survival or studies with statistics out of context which are not representative in the least...
Tyler Hurst
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While this didn't blow me away like Start With Why did, it did validate a lot of things I've always hoped were true.

First, good leaders empower their teams to function on their own, and this often means that once leaders move on, continued or increased success isn't necessarily because you left rather because you were there.

I can think of a few groups I've been involved in that did this, which makes me feel great.

Second, that team creation is the most important thing of leadership. Recruiting an
Tim McLynn
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm disappointed with the goodreads reviewers. They lead me astray with this one. I feel like I just read one long string of business cliches strung with scientific definitions. Is the author, Simon Sinek, profound in telling us that a company with a trusting, comfortable environment with intelligent, genuine and caring leaders will be more successful than one without? That seems obvious. Sinek rebrands this idea as the Circle of Safety, an environment necessary for the well-being of humans, a s ...more
Matthew
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Started and ended well, but I didn't enjoy the middle as much.

With that said, it is still a worthy read, and here a few of my favorite takeaways...

"Empathy is the single greatest asset to do your job"

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader"

"It is not the genius at the top giving directions that make people great. It is the great people that make the guy at the top look like a genius"

"No one wakes up in the morning to go to work with t
Morgan Blackledge
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
God dang this is a good book. I have to say, Sinek NAILED IT!

Sinek is a Brit, and therefor different than an American in an absolutely crucial way.

Like other British intellectuals, he's not afraid to integrate the evolutionary perspective into his theory and analysis.

Maybe it's because Charles Darwin is British. Maybe it's because all of the super psycho religious fanatics came over here (America) circa 300 years ago. Probably a little of both.

What ever the reason. British intellectuals demonstr
Michael
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pln, leadership
Incredible. Love the concept of the Circle of Safety. Great tie in to recovery and Step 12. Sinek examines how four chemicals incentivize and repeat behaviors. They are:
Dopamine - Gratification, tied to addiction
Cortisol - Fear, stress
Oxytocin - Serving, being a part of
Endorphins - Runner's High

Makes a strong case for Empathy as a major missing component in organizations.

"Empathy is not the something we offer to our customers or our employees from nine to five. Empathy is, as Johnny Bravo expla
Bogdan Blaga
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very insightful book about people behavior, social mindset and modern company cultures. It ties in nicely concepts of human psychology with the biological mechanisms inside us to give an explanation of human behaviors and how to deal with them. Personally, I recommend this book to everyone working in an organization today but especially those that lead or aim at leading an organization some day.
BL834
Jul 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, non-fiction
I read the first seven chapters. I just couldn't finish it. Sinek has some really good points mixed in with pseudo-science and weird assumptions. The chapters should be titled:

1: OOO RAH

DNF pg 61 (about 30%)
Tanja Berg
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
A fairly enjoyable and thought provoking book on how to get people to be the most productive at work. They most form bonds among themselves - a "circle of safety" - and trust is essential. Feeling that the boss will sacrifice you if necessary creates angst and poor results. It is also important that the company is not after short-term wins and that they fire people only as a last resort.

It's pretty obvious. I work decidedly better with people who I know have my back - and I theirs - than the on
Ryan
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio book version.

The basic premise of this book is that some teams work together and some teams don't. This books is how to create a culture in the workplace of safety, connection, caring and commitment. Using many examples and anecdotes from big corporations to the military the author shows how leaders can bring groups together.

One of the most interesting and unexpected parts of this book is a thorough analysis of how basic biology plays a role in our workplace environment. Th
Jessica
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Christine Hamblen
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is packed with relevant stories of effective and ineffective leadership, giving me the insight and strength to recognize applications in my own life.
Lazybee
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Worth it.
Amy
I really enjoyed elements of this book, and moderately disliked other elements of it. It wasn't the 5 star read I hoped it would be...but I'd still strongly recommend.
Sinek makes some terrific points about leadership and work environments. I recognized everything I hate about law school in his discussion of a bad work environment, and things I loved about working for AFP in his description of a positive work environment. It was a fitting end of the year read for me.
When this book discusses lea
Ursula Kallio
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Meh. Within this book, Sinek summaries my own experience reading his book: "This is no soapbox rambling. It is just biology." Actually, it is soapbox rambling.

Although unsurprising based on his background, Sinek writes from a heavily military-oriented perspective. I found myself needing to inject "she", "her", "they", and "their" an awful lot because this book reads old fashioned. It makes the female workforce somewhat invisible by omission.

Content I found useful:
* "A consumer is just that: an a
Jacob
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, I figured it would be near impossible to do better than his first book, "Start With Why" and this comes really close :)

I watched the introduction video of Simon's on YouTube and was really surprised when he talked about good leadership being a "literal" part of human survival. I didn't see how a leadership book was going to go there but it did.

The book sticks to science by discussing in part how our own physiology as humans plays a part of our own satisfaction in the work place. This break
John Britto
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book of inspiration to become a leader. This book takes us to the next level of success as it’s from the author of “START WITH WHY”, Simon Sinek. In this book Simon Sinek tells us the roles and responsibilities and dos an don’ts and skills and the path to choose, about and become a leader and this list evolves… It contains many good inspiring stories of the successful businessman and their way to reach there.

I like the following words from this book, “Leaders are the ones will
Mihnea
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book probably every leader should read.

Simon Sinek offers insights on how biological triggers and mechanisms work in the context of team-work and leadership, and explanations on why certain leader behaviors are appreciated or disliked by their peers. At the same time, Sinek offers some advice on how better to treat peers, colleagues and subordinates from the perspective of a leader or co-worker.

One gets a better understanding and appreciation of how our biological wiring works in current tim
Nick
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This simple, clear book outlines the responsibilities of leaders, heavily based on insights gained from studying the Marine Corps. Sinek’s book touches on the biology of leaders and tribes – what feels good, what drives us, and so on – but at heart this book is really a sermon on leaders and what it means to accept the mantle of leadership. We need more leaders, Sinek says, by which he means responsible leaders, and one can only wholeheartedly agree.
Nathan Kitzke
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you think you are doing the right things by investing your time and energy in your people, this book will reinforce your confidence in those actions. This book helped reinforce those principles and ideas and also reminded me when I've fell short. Sinek's first book, "Starts with Why" answers the "why," this book answers the how: apathy, building an organization focused on its workers and customers first which allows the organization's mission to thrive. Great book!
Bo
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Start with Why was the if-you-read-one-book foundation. Leders eat last is building on it - into new thought provoking dimensions. Some are too self evident to be taken into account. Many will think that the sense making recipes are too naive to be taken into account in the quarterly capitalism carousel. I think differently - they have to be taken into account in the exponentially growing technology and information mess - otherwise we will really get lost.
Tsvet Todorova
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. From my experience in the real world, I have noticed that many companies sees their employees as expendable and not as important. I really love his book and I believe everyone should read it- especially people managing other employees. It explains a lot how to actually motivate your staff by looking at them as an asset rather then just anything else.
Ashley
Mar 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Read instead: Tribal Leadership or Built to Last. This book was nothing more than a regurgitation of other better researched and more concisely written works. It's not a bad read, just be prepared for more opinion, personal ideologies and vague calls to action than concrete, evidence based methods to implement.
Jennifer Hovanec
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is my go-to management bible. This is the type of leader that my field (and my future teams) deserve to have. If you're looking for a book to help you figure out how to get your management game on point, try this one. Also, take a gander at his TeD talks. They're worth the time.
Nicole Oke
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
So much yes!!! If you are a leader, think you are a leader or aspire to be a leader, then you need to read this book, but I highly recommend it to everyone. The book provides excellent insight on how an organization can benefit by prioritizing the care of its people first.

Simon Sinek describes what true leadership is while also providing valuable explanations and examples throughout the book. Great leaders inspire cooperation, trust, and loyalty. They treat people as family and not as employees
Jeremy
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-reads-2017
I'm sure everyone says that this book is inspiring, but that's because it is. I've been a Sinek fan ever since I heard him speak at one of the first-ever Public Library Association's Annual Conference "Big Ideas" series, but sadly, I'm rather late getting to his books. Needless to say, I'm glad that I finally did! The standards set forth in this work are high, but absolutely essential. Being a leader (of any kind) is challenging, but our work, business, shopping, government, (etc.), and world wo ...more
Harish Challapalli
One of the finest leadership oriented/ self help books. Earlier I have seen a couple of videos of Simon Sinek and that made me read the book. The entire book goes with a pace like u r watching some TED talk or some inspirational talk. The author being a motivational speaker himself took care that the reader never gets carried away from the concept. This is the first audio book I listened to completely and I can say it is good to listen this than read.

If u get an opportunity go for audio book.
Heather
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Simon Sinek discusses how our chemical make up in our brain can affect the chemistry in our workplaces. High dopamine (self-serving behavior) and cortisol (stress or fear) in work places where workers do not feel safe can result in a breakdown of teamwork. On the other hand, workplaces with high levels of oxytocin (The brain chemicals produced when we are helping others) and high levels of empathy can bring teams together and help workers to function at their highest levels. Very interesting and ...more
Patrick Sheehan
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I put off reading this for years. Only because of the Tennessee Government Executive Institute (TGEI) did I acquiesce and crack the spine.

I wanted to hate it. For reasons mostly unclear to me, I find Sinek insufferable. I wanted to hate this book.

I instead found myself surprised time and again by insight and good synthesis of available information. This book blends an understanding of what good leadership is and does and the impacts leadership, Good and bad, have on the very biology of the lea
Leadership 2 2 Jun 18, 2018 09:03PM
Leadership 1 1 May 19, 2018 01:31PM
Puteri14: [PDF}D0WNLOAD Leaders Eat Last Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don't By Simon Sinek 3 6 Apr 06, 2018 12:56AM
Gen Y 1 7 Jul 19, 2016 10:45AM
ترجمه کتاب: رهبران آخر از همه می خورند 1 5 Dec 09, 2015 11:07AM
12 Books - Author...: Leaders Eat Last - February 2014 23 73 Feb 27, 2014 02:33PM
  • Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • Quick and Nimble: Lessons from Leading CEOs on How to Create a Culture of Innovation
  • Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well
  • Good Leaders Ask Great Questions: Your Foundation for Successful Leadership
  • Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities That Make Us Influential
  • Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • The Customer Rules: The 39 Essential Rules for Delivering Sensational Service
  • The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World
Simon Sinek is an optimist. He believes in a bright future and our ability to build it together.

Described as “a visionary thinker with a rare intellect,” Sinek teaches leaders and organizations how to inspire people. With a bold goal to help build a world in which the vast majority of people go home everyday feeling fulfilled by their work, Sinek is leading a movement to inspire people to do the
More about Simon Sinek

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” 91 likes
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.” 55 likes