Start by marking “The Man in the Woods” as Want to Read:
The Man in the Woods

The Man in the Woods

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Who is the man in the woods—and can Helen catch him before it’s too late?

Helen’s first day at New Bedford Regional High School is off to a hectic start. Her locker combination doesn’t work, she’s late to all her classes, and she doesn’t know a single person. But she doesn’t need friends to figure out the unofficial rules: Cheerleaders simply don’t associate with frizzy-hai
Published November 20th 2012 by Open Road Media Teen Tween (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Man in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man in the Woods

B.T. Love
It was a little too slow for me, and was hard for me to get into.
Holly
I'm not completely sure why I read this, but I do like reading YA mystery/suspense books, so I decided to give it a shot. Yes, this is a YA book from the 80s written by the creator of the Max and Ruby series! The only reason I read it is because it happened to be available on Kindle. Sure they're converting a lot of books to electronic forms now, but sometimes the choices of what they convert are mystifying. While The Man in the Woods was sort of cute, there's no way it can stand up to today's Y ...more
Eden
Helen witnesses a crime and follows a man into the wood who she thinks committed the crime. She couldn't see the man clearly, but he was whistling. So, when the police arrest someone for the crime, Helen knows it is the wrong person and becomes determined to find the person who really did it.

I've read one other book by Rosemary Wells and liked it, but I thought this one was bit better than the other book I read. The plot was really interesting and kept me guessing. I also liked Helen and Pinky.

B
Cambria
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rosemary Wells book "The man in the woods," had great potential to become an amazing book but some parts of it seemed unnecessary. For example when "the Man in the Woods," finds Helen's locket and pokes her mother's eyes out in the picture, I found that that was a little excessive. And too much information. Helen and Pinky's relationship was cute, but unrealistic. Also the ending was sort of just left….. almost as if Wells got tired of writing and just decided to end it?

All in all, Wells' plot w
Aiyana
A good gripping tale of misfits and mystery. The writing style was oddly old-fashioned; at the mention of nuclear power, I revised my estimation from "written in the '50s or earlier" (I kept waiting for a character to say "gee wilkers!" but the closest I got was "jeez louise"). The tone is almost gothic, but without being over-dramatic.
Corinne
Well-written mystery book about a girl who witnesses a crime and struggles through threats and fear to find the truth. I wonder if high school newspapers are really like Rosemary portrays them? Enjoyed the story. Quite a switch from her simple, endearing children's stories.
Rachel
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how many times I have read this book, but I have loved it every time. I just realized it is written by Rosemary Wells of Max and Ruby fame! The story contains mystery, history and drama-I'd recommend it to anyone.
Rani Self
It was fine, though maybe a little simple for today's YA audience. When I downloaded it, I didn't realize it was written in 1984 so maybe that explains it. I also kept seeing Max and Ruby, who I adore, as the characters. Oops!
Liz Gibbs
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
This book was awesome! I was hooked from the very first page. Thirty years ago, when the book was published, there were so many things that were done differently, so it was very nostalgic for me. Other than that, it was just a great mystery.
Kate
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, fiction
This thriller by Wells, who is a REALLY fine y/a author, begins with creepiness and then gets into a very interesting Civil War-era mystery. No sex or violence, but the sophistication of the book makes it a little more y/a than juvenile-level. I quite liked it.
Sally Grey
I like this book because it was well written and because the plot took unexpected turns.
Kathy
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved her Max and Ruby books. Little did I know she wrote mystery novels as well! Well done.
Jennifer Hilligus
Maggie61
rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2010
Kiki
rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2010
Apr 26, 2014
Chrissy
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...