Start by marking “Women Aviators: 26 Stories of Pioneer Flights, Daring Missions, and Record-Setting Journeys” as Want to Read:

(Women of Action)

A Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People

From the very first days of aviation, women were there. Katherine Wright, though not a pilot, helped her brothers Orville and Wilbur so much that some called her the “Third Wright Brother.” Pioneers such as Baroness Raymonde de Laroche of France ignored those who ignorantly claimed that only men possessed the physical s
Published July 1st 2013 by Chicago Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Women Aviators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Aviators

Start your review of Women Aviators: 26 Stories of Pioneer Flights, Daring Missions, and Record-Setting Journeys
Austyn Eversdyk
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
it's interesting, if you like history and how far we came with airplanes this is a book for you
Ben Truong
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Women Aviators: 26 Stories of Pioneer Flights, Daring Missions, and Record-Setting Journeys is written by Karen Bush Gibson and pays homage to twenty-six amazing women who are amazing aviator. This book is divided into five chapters: Pioneers of Aviation, The Golden Age of Flight, Wartime and Military Flying, All Part of the Job, and Making a Difference.

Gibson has written powerful, riveting, and concise biographies for each of these women aviators. She has meticulously written and researched the
Clare Walker
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, but I cannot take seriously a book about women aviators that omits Amy Johnson, who, alongside her friend Amelia Earhart, was one of the most famous women in the world in the 1930s. It is my experience that when you ask ordinary members of the public to name any female aviators, Amy and Amelia are the only two names that come up. Amy was the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia in 1930 and only the third person to undertake such a flight solo. She was also the first woman ...more
Sue Jackson
Apr 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
The author introduced the reader to 26 women aviators and many of them are unknown. It served as an introduction to those female pilots and their stories. Although it was interesting to read about female aviators, this book was not well organized. Many of the stories sounded exactly the same. The characters needed to be expanded and maybe put in a chronicle order. This book just didn't have a good flow.

I realize that this is a young adult book which may be why it read almost like a textbook. My
Chelsea
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
While it’s obviously not 100% comprehensive, this book is a great summary of notable women who accomplished incredible things in aviation. It’s a good introduction and includes a bibliography if you want to do further reading on the subject. This series seems like it would be great for middle schoolers.
Antoinette
A fascinating look at women in aviation.
Violet
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I only read the chapter on Harriet Quimby.
Julie
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stories and I loved learning the history ofWomen in aviation.
Madison Young
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty interesting read. It’s pretty fascinating getting to see how many women helped to pave the way for future female pilots.
Janet
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating! Made me want to read about so many other women and visit all of the museums referenced.
Jessica
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It was filled with a lot of great information and was a breeze to get through (thank you, juvenile fiction!) I loved learning about all these courageous women. There are other titles in this series about other brave women during WWII, Colonial America, etc and I can't wait to pick those up!
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 8/11/13: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2013/...

I love finding nonfiction books that showcase Women's History. For so much of historical record, men's stories dominated the focus. It's nice to see more and more women being showcased. I think this provides positive role models for young women. I also appreciated that this book features women from a variety of races. I can see several of my students really enjoying this one as a result.

When I think of women in aviati
Christie
First sentence: "At the turn of the last century, two brothers ran a bicycle shop in Dayton, Ohio."

This book tells the story of the famous (not so famous) female aviators of the last century. In a series of short biographies, the book takes the reader on a journey fraught with danger and discrimination. From the first female pilot ever licensed to the first female commercial airline pilots, the story introduces heroines from all types of backgrounds, all eras in history, and all over the world.
Veronica
This collection of mini-biographies of women aviators is a must have for every parent whose child has to do a biography project and for every teacher who assigns them. Sure we all know about Amelia Earhart - my daughter did a project on her a few years ago - and perhaps even Bessie Coleman, but "Women Aviators: 26 Stories of Pioneer Flights, daring Missions, and Record-Setting Journeys" by Karen Bush Gibson will expand your universe.

Not only are the biographies short enough for your child to rea
Emily Fischer
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought that this book was good. I thought it was good because there were some parts that I didn't get. What made me choose this book was my mom. My mom choose this book for me because she thought it looked interesting. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes aviation. I think this author wrote this book because she wanted to share stories of female aviators. My thoughts about the themes of the story could be that even if someone says you can't do something you should try because they ...more
Gavin Williams
No spoilers because it just can’t get any worse.

Sorry, just can’t read it. A comic book without pictures of the 26 greatest American women aviatrixes including the 1 of the first 10 women aviators to hold a pilots licence that was American.

Written like a fangrrl blog, very US centric. Just. Can’t. Bring. Myself. To. Read. Any. More.

Will take note of those listed and dig up legitimate bios elsewhere to inspire my daughters with, even Wikipedia’s got to be better than this.
Jenn M
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Good introduction to several of the most well-known female aviators for middle-grade to teen aged students. I had not heard of most of these women and enjoyed learning about the earliest females to tackle and excel in aviation. Chapters are short and introductory; will probably motivate further study in some students.
Monica
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick glimpse at the lives of many incredible women.
Fliers and adventurers, explorers and boundary breakers.
My only wish was to dive deep, soar farther into their lives.
Jessica
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mg-ya-nonfiction
All you wanted to know about every female aviator! Seriously, so much info here about ladies who deserve more historic cred.
Colleen Bavins
Linda
Dec 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Women of the Wind: Early Women Aviators
  • Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Besieged (The Iron Druid Chronicles #4.1, 4.2, 4.6, 4.7, 8.1, 8.2, 8.6, 8.7, 8.9)
  • Surrender at the Border (Border, #1)
  • The Squirrel on the Train (Oberon’s Meaty Mysteries, #2)
  • Becoming RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Journey to Justice
  • Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1)
  • The Purloined Poodle (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8.5)
  • Escape from Virtual Island
  • Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel I
  • Marvel Action: Captain Marvel: Cosmic Cat-Tastrophe (Marvel Action: Captain Marvel #1)
  • First Dangle and Other Stories
  • Work It Out
  • Cowboy Up (Sons of Chance, #5)
  • The Lost Continent (Wings of Fire, #11)
  • Cat Crimes II
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Darkness of Dragons (Wings of Fire #10)
Karen Bush Gibson (also known as K.B. Gibson and Karen Gibson) has been writing, well, forever. She has written a little bit of everything, but got her start writing articles and features for magazines. Karen began writing children's nonfiction in 2001 with Capstone and loves bringing nonfiction to life for kids. Since then, she has worked with several publishers, including Chicago Review Press an ...more

Women of Action (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Women Heroes of World War II: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue
  • Women Heroes of the American Revolution: 20 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Defiance, and Rescue
  • Women Heroes of World War I: 16 Remarkable Resisters, Soldiers, Spies, and Medics
  • Women in Blue: 16 Brave Officers, Forensics Experts, Police Chiefs, and More
  • Courageous Women of the Civil War: Soldiers, Spies, Medics, and More
  • Marooned in the Arctic: The True Story of Ada Blackjack, the "Female Robinson Crusoe"
  • Women of Colonial America: 13 Stories of Courage and Survival in the New World
  • She Takes a Stand: 16 Fearless Activists Who Have Changed the World