Start by marking “C S Lewis: A Biography of Friendship” as Want to Read:
C S Lewis: A Biography of Friendship

C S Lewis: A Biography of Friendship

An Oxford student of C.S. Lewis's said he found his new tutor interesting, and was told by J.R.R. Tolkien, 'Interesting? Yes, he's certainly that. You'll never get to the bottom of him.' You can learn a great deal about people by their friends and nowhere is this more true than in the case of C.S. Lewis, the remarkable academic, author, populariser of faith - and creator o ...more
Published April 19th 2013 by Lion Hudson (first published March 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about C S Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C S Lewis

Katherine
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Was there any chance I WOULDN'T love this book? No. It's always a delightful experience to read about the life of C.S. Lewis and the friends and books he loved. In that vein, this book provided me with many titles of other things to read and I ALWAYS appreciate that in a book! The only question I have is whether my sister has made a grave error in lending me this one. Will she ever see it again? ;)
Annie Booker
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Describes the details of his close friendships with people like JRR Tolkien, Charles Williams and Owen Barfield and probably his most important relationships - with his brother Warnie and his wife, joy Davidman.
Michal Čop
Keďže kniha v podstate splnila to, čo mala- viac mi priblížila život C.S. Lewisa- môžem skonštatovať, že som s ňou spokojný. Na druhej strane, viem si predstaviť aj lepší životopis, i keď sa nedá povedať, že by bol tento zlý.
Problémom bolo, že miestami kniha nebola veľmi čítavá. A to z toho dôvodu, že niektorým veciam sa autor venoval až príliš dopodrobna (ako napr. hľadaniu presného dátumu, kedy sa Lewis obrátil) a niekedy mi pripadala až príliš akademicky úzkostlivá, čo znižovalo čitateľský zá
Jon Beadle
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A complete delight to read. It really challenged me to deepen my own friendships.
Peter Holford
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'Properly lived out, he gradually discovered, friendship could open one's eyes to previously unseen aspects of reality, whether this be the world of nature, realms of the imagination, or the hard-won reaches of human thought.' (p.84)

I have long been interested in the life and writings of CS Lewis but I particularly enjoyed this biography. It is recent (being published just last year) and I was also interested to read it having met the author once when I was working with IVP in Leicester. But I l
Jack
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
"A Biography of Friendship" concerns itself primarily with the various friendships of C.S. Lewis and the effects those friendships had on his thought and work. Those interested in Lewis's friends - Tolkien, Barfield, Williams, etc. would find much to enjoy as well. I also found interest in the minor details of life in the early to mid 20th century.

The work moves quickly with episodes and antidotes pulled from the letters and diaries of those involved. The book does an excellent job of connecting
Lyn
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Honest & True
This is a well written book that reads like a great conversation. The extent with which the author shares the true story of Lewis’s life is amazing. It wasn’t written from the point of adoration that makes the reader question the honesty instead it is written with fresh insight into a wonderful friendship. As a fan of C S Lewis I was hoping for an enjoyable read – but Mr. Duriez delivered much more than expected. Enjoy! NetGalley and Lion Hudson Plc provided an advanced review c
Gary B
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Engaging enough. I've read a fair bit of C S Lewis' work over the years - Mere Christianity, Reflections on the Psalms, A Grief Observed, the Narnia Chronicles and the sci-fi trilogy. This book provided some background and context for those works.

I would have liked to have read more about his wife, Joy, and also JRR Tolkien. Some photos of Arthur, Warnie et al would have added a little, too.

Graham Heslop
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Duriez has provided readers with an invaluable primer on C. S. Lewis. He avoids being overly concerned with details and problematic dating and instead offers us a clear window in the great man. For a relatively short biography, comparing it to both Alistair Mcgrath's and the Zaleskis', Duriez captures Lewis in each of the major periods in his life; and tied to each, we are shown Lewis' developing thought, convictions, and relationships, alongside his almost immutable character and brilliance
Madison Elrod
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was a little slow at times like many biographies. I enjoyed it though. C.S. Lewis was a very talented and intellectual man that I look up to. I have read almost everything he has written. I enjoyed getting to know the man behind the brilliance. He was a fascinating man with characteristics I would not of guessed before reading this book. If you want to learn more about C.S. Lewis I would recommend reading this book.
Paul Chiswick
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on C S Lewis from the perspective of his closest friends and family. Not being a Lewis afficionado, I never realised he had written so many books, my knowledge going no further than The Chronicles of Narnia. This book gives a deep insight into Lewis' character, his religious beliefs, and his life as a don at Oxford and, later, professor at Cambridge. An enlightening read.
Michael d'Offay
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
Much I learnt from this.
I was challenged by the life that Lewis modeled: his friendships were integral to his growth as a Christian and a person. The person I want to be will be determined by the kind of friendships I keep.
Lewis benefited from friendships to help sharpen his mind and explore ideas.
Becky Fields
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The interactions of Jack and the Inklings, Jack and his brother Warnie, Jack & Joy -- such a practical biography!
Bill Brinkley
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book was easy to read. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to understand the Man, C.S. Lewis.
Maria Virginia Ross
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend! Read my full review here: http://www.saintsandrecipes.com/c-s-j...
Steve
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very good biography, emphasising his friendships with Barfield, Tolkein and his wife, Joy Davidman.
Anthony
Feb 19, 2014
Teralynn
Feb 22, 2014
Rebekah Choat
rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2015
May 29, 2016
Tom
Apr 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Colin Duriez is a writer on fantasy and related matters.

He was born in Derbyshire and spent his early life in Long Eaton, Derbyshire , in a couple of new council estates near Portsmouth and six years in a mining village in South Wales, before moving to the West Midlands. After school he studied for two years at the University of Istanbul, Turkey, before completing his studies at the University of