Start by marking “Stillpoint: A Novel of War and Peace” as Want to Read:
Stillpoint: A Novel of War and Peace

Read Book

Stillpoint: A Novel of War and Peace

Stillpoint is an emotional and intellectual adventure, that keeps one reading into the wee hours. The reader is immediately drawn into the story and thus begins an unforgettable ride into other worlds, other possibilities.

Stillpoint will make you think, make you examine what lies at the root of your beliefs. Some books shift the way we see the world, even ourselves. This i
Published November 2012 by Promontory Press (first published September 1st 2012)

Start your review of Stillpoint: A Novel of War and Peace
Michelle Corasanti
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"This novel has got it all; well, all the good stuff, anyway; it introduces advanced philosophical thought in a very accessible way, provides a great introduction to the arab-israeli conflict, and delivers lessons that the reader can't help but learn, and will never forget.

Don't be scared though, even when the above is discounted, it still stands out as an amazing story, which could only have been crafted by a very gifted wordsmith.

Unusually, it contains a Dramatis Personae, which is a great aid
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Colin Mallard writes from a different perspective, from a Taoist. You'll be shown the truth behind the Arab and Israeli conflict. This book takes place in the United States and in the Middle East. There are characters from many different generations including the most current situation with September eleventh. Each character has an important role with an important voice.

While among the chaos of Palestine and Israel, you can still find a positive message with meaning behind every word. If your t
Steve Flawith
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stunning... when 2000 year old truths from Eastern philosophy are applied to the current political conflicts in the Middle East the result is this very entertaining and intensely enlightening novel by Dr. Colin Mallard. The book vividly winds across time and place from the USA to the Middle East following high level politics and intrigue in a race to find a missing First Lady and at the same time reveals a completely different and fascinating way to resolve the seemingly endless Israeli/Palestin ...more
Bennett Coles
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A daring and original take on the Palestinian conflict, Stillpoint tells the tale of the creation of the Israeli state, the tumultuous events surrounding that act, and the decades of fallout afterward. Philosophy weaves its way through the action-packed narrative as author Dr. Colin Mallard presents a truly different view of the ongoing conflict and the people involved in it. His view may anger some while delighting others, but no matter what your opinion going in, this book will make you recons ...more
Pattie
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A new and refreshing look at events in the Middle East with new and exciting solutions if anyone is willing to listen. A page turner, hard to put down, and inspirational at the same time. Go for it - you'll love it! Five stars all the way. I have read other books by this author and they are all well worth reading!
Cat
Mar 04, 2013 added it
Stillpoint, by Collin D. Mallard

David Tremaine for President!

As a busy-busy, hard working American, stuck in living paycheck to paycheck, worried about taxes and feeding everyone in the house, I believe this is a book that we should all read. We don’t really seem to have time to worry about anything but our own lives, but once you start “Stillpoint” you may be as amazed as I to learn that such bully tactics are being used as geopolitical means of ‘deleting’ what doesn’t work for some countries.
Val Walton
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stillpoint” is an exciting and action packed novel, which follows the history of the Palestinian/Israeli conflict from the 1940s to the early 2000s. The characters are vivid, haunting and unforgettable, some you will love, some you will dislike.

“Stillpoint approaches the subject of peace by taking the reader on a journey that leads to understanding and offers productive ways of achieving it; ways to break this endless cycle of violence.

Mallard approaches issues of war and peace from a Taoist
Colin Mallard
Mar 30, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The following letter arrived not long after the book "Stillpoint" was published. I have taken the liberty of including it. Colin Mallard

Hi Colin, I finished reading “Stillpoint,” a couple of weeks ago and was deeply moved by it. So emotionally moved that every time the news reported on Israel and Palestine it would bring me to tears. My perspective has changed and I now feel as though I can see both sides, not just what we are programed to see, as Israel being the “good guys.

Thank you! I am goin
Paddy O'callaghan
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a profoundly important book with the power to expose the truth behind the Arab-Isareli conflict. If you enjoyed Michelle Cohen Corasanti's The Almond Tree,you'll love this, and vice versa.

It's set over seventy years, two continents and three generations:

"Threescore and ten I can remember well:
Within the volume of which time I have seen
Hours dreadful and things strange; but this sore night
Hath trifled former knowings." - Macbeth by Billy The Bard

but there's even more to it than that.
Lawrence Verigin
The way I view the situation in Israel/Palestine has changed, because of Stillpoint.
Stillpoint is an intriguing story with well developed characters that moves at a fast pace. It keeps your interests piqued right from the beginning and makes you want to keep turning pages to find out what happens next.
It's obvious Dr. Mallard has done his homework and offers a plausible perspective.
And wouldn't the world be a much better place if the leaders used Taoist principles!!
Everyone should read Stillpoi
Heather Westing
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's about time somebody looked at the situation in Israel/Palestine with something other than a completely one-sided view. Dr. Colin Mallard doesn't play the usual favourites as he presents a rarely-seen view of the events within the creation of the State of Israel and the political acrobatics that continue to surround the issue today. His philosophical insights would be very valuable reading for a lot of politicians of today - not to mention his book is a darn good read.
Peter Baker
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stillpoint, a griping novel that tells the story of life on the ground, in the Middle East at the end of the Second World War. The setting is based on actual events that took place after the forming of the state of Israel. A fresh look, a hopeful look, of a conflict that doesn't seem to have an end. A new look at an ancient way of seeing.
Susan Vickers
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book.
It was exciting and i enjoyed the way the perennial teaching were interlaced through out the story.
Such simple concepts, ones that could revolutionize the planet if they were heard.
Waiting for the next one......
Gordon Giesbrecht
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it

Hope and optimism, the two words that first come to mind after reading Stillpoint. Some fascinating characters on both sides of the ocean. Men and women who take the time to think before reacting. Nasir a sufi mystsic, once a Palestinian guerilla, offers words of wisdom throughout. In real life he reminds me of Nelson Mandela, without the mysticism, who as a young militant employed force against an oppressor only to learn over time that violence only begets violence. Peace is only possible throu
Randy
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Stillpoint' utilizes a fictional account in order to stimulate thought about the dynamics which surround the Palestinian question. It does this in an interesting way, one which incorporates the machinations of governments and the effects various policies currently have and have had on many of the lives being lived within the geography. Tensions are experienced by the reader as characters find themselves in difficult and dangerous circumstances. ‘Stillpoint’ demands focus and in several instance ...more
Tress.backhouse
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book for bigots!'
Because we live in the west. and are affected by the sometimes violent reactions of people of different cultures ,to our dominant position in the world, resulting in Terrorist attacks. which are a not unnatural results of anger and refusal to see any way to deal with people of different faith and outlook.
I n this book of interesting hypothesis. Not only is the President pf the United States his own man, but he puts into practice the best principals of his ,presu
Dhwani Swadia
Rating: 3.5

Read full review here: http://thereandtheir.wordpress.com/20...

This book is quite interesting, as in, it takes Israel – Palestine conflict, but looks at it from a totally different angle.

The book tries to go behind the conflict and examine the root cause of the war, to analyze why after all these years, the war still goes on. But unlike other works on this topic, the book has a third angle, America. And what are the concrete ways and steps that America can take to bring peace in this
Kate Jones
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book with an atypical perspective on the Middle East conflict. Colin puts the reader in the midst with characters of humanity, who express their hopes for the future through their pain, inner conflicts, values of family and community, and grace, and who at the same time express joy at the beauties of life. You may like this book, or not, depending on the opinions you hold of this old dispute. Either way, it will expand your knowledge of it and prod you to further considerat ...more
Sam
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Try as hard as I might I just could not get into this book. Sometimes that happens and this was one of those times. The writing style was good, I may not be in the mood to read this type of genre. I will try reading this again at some other point in time and I may like it. I received this book from LibraryThing Members Giveaway.
Eileen Holmes-ievers
A well-written book that did keep my attention. However, I felt the ending was a bit unbelievable and "easy" - hence the 3 stars. However, if all our world leaders thought and acted like at remained the world would be a better place.
Marni
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novel that reads like a group of short stories linked together. I loved reading it and the author's insertion of quotes as well as the glimpse of lives that could have lived in that time period.
Pamela Cowan
Mar 11, 2014
Nicole
Sep 06, 2014
Endi Dalimunthe
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2015
Ad
Feb 09, 2014
Tress.backhouse
Feb 12, 2014
Colin Mallard played in bomb craters and bombed out buildings as a child in England during the Second World War. Perhaps this was the origin of his interest in peace. He attended University in Boston and was deeply involved in the Civil Rights and Anti War Movements of the 60s. In fact, the story of the sanctuary at Boston University’s Marsh Chapel, described in "Stillpoint," was written from pers ...more