Start by marking “We Were Liars” as Want to Read:
We Were Liars

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

We Were Liars

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  344,500 Ratings  ·  40,540 Reviews
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist,
Published May 13th 2014 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about We Were Liars, please sign up.
Kimberly Actually, the truth is that there was supposed to be section where it explained why they were called liars due to a few scenes occurring in this…moreActually, the truth is that there was supposed to be section where it explained why they were called liars due to a few scenes occurring in this specific section of the book that never made it to be published.

My sister and I had personally asked Lockhart in person at a festival a few months back and this is what she told us. There was a section that was taken off and never got to be published because it was "boring" and "slow". The publishers didn't want to slow down the book so they just cut it out. Result? A title that doesn't make sense and no longer portrays to the story the way the author intended.
It has *nothing* to do with the older women, the grandfather, or the Littles. It had to do with the 'Liars' (Gat, Johnny, Mirren, Cadence) and just never printed. Cady refers to her group as such, but Lockhart didn't explain any further since it was during a signing.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dawn M
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Once upon a time there were three bears who lived in a wee house in the woods.
Once upon a time there were three billy goats who lived near a bridge.
Once upon a time there were three soldiers, tramping together down the roads after the war.
Once upon a time there were three little pigs.
Once upon a time there were three brothers.
No, this is it. This is the variation I want.
It was a better coming of age than Catcher in the Rye, but I also thought Twilight was a better coming-of-age than Catcher in
Lola  Reviewer
description

This is the kind of book that, when I finish reading it, I’m like FINALLY and then throw the book out of the window (in this case not applicable because of digital copy so I'm doing it through a gif.)

But really, what a weird story and an uncomfortable and pretentious atmosphere this We Were Liars book has. It wasn’t long, thank God, but damn it was painful to read. This is my 3rd negative review/read this week and I’m seriously pissed but will try to keep it cool.

I didn’t get
the purpose of thi
Ariel
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was, without a doubt, one of the most powerful and well-crafted books I have read in a really long time.

Elements that made this book outstanding:
1) It started with a map and a family tree. Talk about setting yourself up for success!
2) The personification of emotion. This might not make sense unless you've read the book, but wow it was powerful.
3) The use of fairy tales from the main character to describe situations.
4) The sense of complete mystery and suspicion: I was always questioning ev
Blythe
sobbing. sobbing. sobbing. so much love for this book, and its perfect, perfect ending.

i can't even capitalize right now. i don't even want to capitalize right now.

in fetal position.

sob.

my souuuuul.
Emily May
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
It's true what they're saying: you're better off if I tell you nothing about this book.

So I will just say two things.

1) It is worth reading. Even though I only gave it 3 stars.

2) I gave it 3 stars because of the writing style, which irritated the hell out of me. The fact that it got 3 stars after annoying me so much will hopefully give you some indication of how much I liked the idea.

It's a very clever book and an incredibly sophisticated piece of YA. BUT... an execution that was not to my taste
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
It's been awhile since I have so totally hated a book.

I'm surprised at how varied the feelings on here about this book are...some of my friends hated it.

Some of them liked/loved it.

I still love them....

Let's get to why I hated this so very frigging much.

The main character is a twit...but then the whole family is:
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.
No one is a criminal.
No one is an addict.
No one is a failure.
The Sinclairs are athletic, tall and handsome.

That's actually the good part o
Steph Sinclair
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like mind fucks
Recommended to Steph by: Blythe
I went into We Were Liars one cocky son of a biscuit eater, feeling above it all right from page one. I'd seen this book talked about so heavily by other bloggers and how some never saw the twist coming or how others totally saw that twist coming. All the while, I was sitting on the sidelines with my shades on, posted up with my arms folded, saying, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hot potato." That's not to say I didn't want to read this book, because I did. I even had an ARC sitting on my shelf for the long ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Tragic, yet hauntingly beautiful story.
karen
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
so, just like Little Bee, this book begs you "NOOO, DON'T TELL ITS SEEEEKRITS!!" and if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

so part of me is tempted to write this whole long review about how this book is a magical adventure focusing on a young girl in manhattan during the blackout of 2003, when all the red pandas living in the sewers came out to play, carrying tiny flashlights and shepherding people from manhattan to their homes in the outer boroughs and all the lessons this young girl learns
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”We were warm and shivering,
and young and ancient,
and alive."

When I began to read this book I went in completely blind and had absolutely no clue what it was about. The blurb on the back didn’t tell me anything about the plot and everything I knew was that “We Were Liars” had apparently won the YA Goodreads Choice Award in 2014.
So yeah, I just decided to read it and hoped it would be good and looking at it in retrospective this actually was the best decision I could have made! ;-P

Because let’s
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister by: Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*5 Stars*

There’s not even a Scrabble word for how I’m feeling right now…

This story left me defeated, but its tragedy was paired equally with an unconventional beauty. It gripped me instantly to the point where I couldn’t stop thinking about its mystery…

Its intrigue.

Its quiet calamity.

The suspense is painted on rather thickly, which is not to say that readers will not form an accurate theory early on. But the journey remains worth it whether you’ve Sherlock Holmes’d this one or not.

The plot in
mark monday
Nov 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenworld
 photo I hate thinking_zpsgx4pgezq.jpg

well this was all kinds of pointless
and also depressing.
ugh!

the writing is so mannered
it is an affectation
a studied display of real or pretended feeling.
the whole book lacks affect;
it lacks the real emotion
that it so desperately tries to convey
in its own affect-less way.
the writer has talent
sure
but here it is squandered.

I like the premise, it's enticing;
who doesn't want to read about
the fragile cloistered lives
of insular rich white people
who summer on their own private island?
makes us not-r
Endless
Tears
Sana
"Read it.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE."

This book was great,
you guys! I love the writing style.
It wasn't confusing at all!
It was totally not annoying! :)
I loved the characters.
They were so complex
and not bland at all.
They definitely didn't
want to make me want to shoot
myself in the head! :)
I knew what was going on and
I enjoyed this story a lot!
The ending was just beautiful.
Literally all I can ask for! :)

I LOVE THIS SM I AM CRYING! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Christine Riccio
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
that wasn't what i was expecting! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS YET, JUST JUMP INTO IT. It's better the less you know about it! I just posted my full booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uex... =)
Kat O'Keeffe
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW. Just... wow...
Candace
I went into 'We Were Liars' blind, for the most part. It had been sitting on my Audible shelf for so long that I had long-since forgotten what it was supposed to be about. Sometimes, I get it in my head that a book is going to be about something, when it absolutely has nothing to do with it. God only knows where I get these ideas, but I do. As a result, I often find myself being surprised by the content of the stories I read without re-reading the blurbs. This was one of those times. Note to oth ...more
Mohammed Arabey
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First,I predict the ending after 25% of the novel

..and Yes,I was right..
It was a bit tedious after that, I mean I know everything..BUT..
By the final 25 pages I cried like a baby..
It's shameful crying, uncontrollable, unexpected
though the whole thing was
Expected.

Do you think I lie?..No..They Were..Not me..
لازم أكتب بلغتي ﻷني مشحون، غاضب وحزين
هذه الرواية ألمت قلبي، ولو أنها رواية عادية جدا

بل وتوقعتها من بعد ربعها اﻷول...لكني لم أتوقع هذا
هذا الألم

شعرت أنني فهمت الغموض وحللت اللغز
وأني شاهدت وقرأت قص
Mary Christensen
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
A really unfortunate novel by the author of the much better The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. A completely unconvincing twist in the last twenty pages resolves the mystery in a way that is both improbably gruesome and also lightly dismissed by the author.

The real moral questions raised by the subject of the book, including racism, land ownership, inheritance, materialism, greed, and manipulation, are acted out in flat, white-hat/black-hat morality plays by stock characters of li
Charlotte May
“Tragedy is ugly and tangled, stupid and confusing.”

Everyone warned me about the twist in this book! I did well not to get spoiled, as it was definitely a shock horror moment.

A patriarch, his three daughters and their children summer every year on Beechwood Island, where each of the three daughters had a house for themselves and their children.
They are all rich, well off and ignorant. The three oldest grandchildren and their family friend are the closest. They refer to themselves as the ‘Lia
Giselle
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own
We Were Liars is an incredible, heartbreaking read that really messes with your mind until the very end. The writing, while not for everyone I'm sure, had me mesmerized. It's so different and poetic and full of carefully crafted imagery. It's a writing style that's really out of the box, you'll either love it or hate it. Me, I was thoroughly compelled.

The plot itself is one you can't talk about or read about as you're bound to find out spoilers. It's the kind of story where the story itself is
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
WARNING: This book is a liar and it will cause you to cry for the next three hours, it crushes souls and it severely destroy hearts. Proceed with caution.

I spent the whole time sobbing. trying to catch my breath. then sobbing again.

We Were Liars scarred me and Im broken way beyond repair.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

You can listen to my fanmix of We Were Liars on 8tracks.
Nayra.Hassan
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لكل منا مكان سيشعر فيه بصباه للابد
..وهناك عدد قليل جدا من الاقارب و الاصدقاء تعود معهم روحك بنفس انطلاقة سن 16 🏊بلا شروط او مصالح او تحيزات....

اجمل ما في الكاذبين انك كنت منهم يوما ما..رواية عصرية لا يميزها شئ الا اللغة السهلة و البساطة المتناهية🌚
..صعبة في اول 60 صفحة..وتطلبت الكثير من قطع الشيكولاتة لعبورها!!..ولكن سريعة جدا فيما بعد حتى انني قرات اخر 120 صفحة في ساعات قليلة

..تقييمي لها كالاتي:الاسلوب و القابلية للقراءة 4 نجوم.. الحبكة 4 نجوم الهدف 5 نجوم.. النهاية 4 نجوم
و اخيرا الشخصيات 2 نج
Etnik
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
____________________________________________
“Be a little kinder than you have to.”

description

Okay so where to begin.I liked this book,you can see it by my rating,but I don't feel it ended right.I am not saying it was a bad ending,not at all,I enjoyed it,but there was no justice.The next part of the review will contain spoilers because I want to discuss with you some part of this book.Okay so let's begin:

“Do not a
Emily Crowe
Dec 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. This was not the book for me, which I was disappointed to discover after two book-friends and an admired blogger all raved about this one. If I had expected less, I probably would have enjoyed it more, but as it stands, it ticked a few boxes for my various readerly pet peeves:

1) A first person narrator
2) An unreliable narrator (This is not a spoiler. Read the title. And the narrator has amnesia.)
3) The narrator has amnesia.
4) In the last 30 pages or so, the narrator/author make a big reveal
Kassidy
I'm pretty disappointed in this one. To me, it was very predictable and underwhelming. However, I did really like atmosphere of the story, the characters, and the writing. Listening to it as an audiobook definitely enhanced the experience.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
I don't cry a lot but boy this had me sobbing
I don't even know how to describe the feelings this story left me with. Just read it and you'll understand
Regan
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
I don't know what to rate this my brain is still digesting.
Kai
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, owned
“What if we could stop being different colors, different backgrounds, and just be in love?”

I hard quite a hard time rating this book.

Things I Loved
The title, the unreliable narrator, the wonderful writing style, the air of mystery, the unexpected twists and turns, the priviliged-wealthy-private-island setting, the fairytales.

Things I Did Not Love
The many names and characters. Ugh, it took me a while to figure out who was who inspite of the family tree! The self-centered protagonist, the shallow
IRP 8 1 9 May 27, 2018 11:12AM
  • Sex & Violence
  • Reality Boy
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet #1)
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • All the Truth That's in Me
  • Orbiting Jupiter
  • The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy
  • The Riverman (The Riverman Trilogy, #1)
  • 100 Sideways Miles
  • Noggin
  • Just Call My Name (I'll Be There, #2)
  • My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
E. Lockhart is the author of Genuine Fraud, We Were Liars, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The Boyfriend List and several other novels.

website: www.emilylockhart.com
Liars site: www.wewereliars.com
blog: www.theboyfriendlist.com
Twitter: elockhart
More about E. Lockhart

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99