Start by marking “The Things They Didn't Bury” as Want to Read:
The Things They Didn't Bury

The Things They Didn't Bury

The war took everything. Except the truth. When Liliana and her family move back to Argentina after seeking refuge in the States during La Guerra Sucia, a lifetime's worth of wondering comes to a head, reigniting the search for what really happened to her mother, one of the thousands of los desaparecidos—the disappeared.

With the help of a young Flamenco player who saw the
Published December 31st 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Things They Didn't Bury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things They Didn't Bury

A. Bookzilla.
Jan 17, 2013 A. Bookzilla. marked it as dnf-ed
Free today in the Kindle store! Don't be fooled by my dnf shelf, this is a great book well worth reading!

Now, this will be the weirdest review I have ever written.

This book is beautiful.
The story is beautiful, the writing is beautiful, and so are the characters.
The author has this peculiar writing style, pulling you right into the scene, making you see and feel everything, without being overly flowery.

Unfortunately, I couldn't finish it. It just hit too close to home. I could say I didn't like i
Laplumedelyla
Review in english and french.

I highly recommend this book to every person who... can read. Seriously.

At first glance, it is a book with two points of view: Diego's and Liliana's. But there also is Isabella's,(Liliana's mother) through her journal that Liliana found when she returned to Argentina.

After the disappearance of her mother,Liliana, her father (Manuel), her sister (Nita) and her father's cousin (Ana), flew away to the United States. But then the war ended, plus both her grandparents ha
ChuCha

♥.♥.♥

The first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to Argentina is of course - the phenomenal:

some_text

But after reading The Things They Didn't Bury , set just three years after the Peron Regime, and fourteen years thereafter - I was in a big surprise.

The Things They Didn't Bury offers a vivid glimpse of what Argentina was like. Readers would have the chance to jump
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Feb 19, 2013 Bèbè ✦ RANT ✦ rated it really liked it
Overall score: 4 stars

Short Summary. After years of living in America, Liliana finally comes back home to Argentina with her family after a war. Coming back to the old vineyard that her grandparents owned and the grief from her disappeared mother has become unbearable. After meeting Diego, the dreamy Flamenco player, she determined to find out more about her mother and see if she can know her about her through the wound of ended war. She did not expect to find love, get closer to her family, and
Annie
Dec 31, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

My Thoughts:

This was an exciting, heart-pounding mystery unlike any other I’ve read! Not only was I absorbed with the story but with the history and culture of the characters!

Liliana is a young Argentinean girl who has been living in the States for more than a decade. Her father had taken her and her sister from their home in Buenos Aires after their mother’s death in order to protect them from the war that was going on. Once again back in Argentina, Liliana finds her mother’
Lauryn April
Nov 13, 2012 Lauryn April rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of contemporary, but the mystery in this story had me hanging on edge just as much as the paranormal and suspense books I read. This is a deeply layered story. And, even though it's a historical piece set in Argentina I still felt completely able to relate to Liliana and the things going on in her life.

Liliana's father moves her and her sister back to Argentina after years of living in the states. They fled to the US after the disappearance of Liliana's mother and to protect t
Nancy
Jan 09, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Argentina wasn’t really the musical world shown in “Evita.” It was harder, crueler and, after Evita’s death when the men from the trucks entered villages and people: men, women and children – disappeared. Liliana’s mother was among them. Her father took his daughters to the US for safety but returns ten years later (Liliana is now 18) when his wife’s mother dies. There is a house and vineyard to care for and he goes home with the girls.
Diego, grape and guitar picker saw the violence first-hand.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars:
This novel is so much more than a love story. It is a story about a young woman on a quest to discover who her mother really was and what became of her. It isn't just her story though, it is the story of a country torn apart by war and hate and story of two young people destined to fall in love in a time when their love for one another was forbidden and would ultimately lead to their deaths.

Oh my goodness I really loved this story. There was so much depth to it. The anger, prejudice an
Ruty  B
Dec 22, 2012 Ruty B rated it it was amazing
The Things They Didn’t Bury is the story of Liliana, an expat who returns to Argentina. After being 14 years away, she has to return to her country, live in her grandparents’ house and learn about a war recently over. However to lighten up her burden as soon as she arrives Diego comes into picture.

Returning to a country she doesn’t remember while looking for clues of her mother destiny will take her through a path full of holes and secrets. She will dig into the past to discover the true and cru
Wendy Janes
Aug 03, 2013 Wendy Janes rated it really liked it
Liliana moves from the States back to Argentina with her father and younger sister. They settle in to her grandparents’ old home. Although the war is over, it has left many scars and many questions. Liliana starts out trying to find the truth about her mother’s life before she became one of the thousands of ‘disappeared’, and ends up uncovering a trail of secrets and lies.

This remarkable story is told through the three different viewpoints of Liliana, her mother, and Diego, who lived through the
♥ Becky  22
Sep 12, 2015 ♥ Becky 22 marked it as gave-up-on
Shelves: 2015-want2read
DNF. :'(

I really, really wanted to like this. It sounded so interesting but unfortunately the writing was too flowery and descriptive for my taste. I couldn't focus on the story and everything felt a little slow.

I was also really confused about where this was set because one minute they're in the city of Buenos Aires and the next they're home at their vineyard by the ocean. Buenos Aires is about 3 hours from the Atlantic Ocean so that was a little weird.

A lot of people seemed to love this boo
Rebecca
DNF

I can't really rate it fairly, so I'll let it sit in the middle. I'm sure it's interesting at some point, but I'll never make it there.

The information about the revolution in Argentina was fascinating, but those 5 or 6 pages weren't worth the other 100 I had already worked through. And I'm too lazy to look the information up to see if it's accurate.

If you like books that you really have pay attention to and authors who describe every wisp of sea on the idle midday breeze, this book is for y
Isha0307
Isha0307 rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2016
Christina  Torretta
Christina Torretta rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2013
bradley falk
bradley falk rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Vivek
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Tamyra Hill
Tamyra Hill rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Linn
Linn rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Velva Julia Bennett
Velva Julia Bennett rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
kia lee
kia lee rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Yvette Merga
Yvette Merga rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
sexi
sexi rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Lola
Lola rated it liked it
May 21, 2015
Kadambari
Kadambari rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2013
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Sarah Goins
Sarah Goins rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2017
  • Any Other Night
  • Found (Lost & Found, #2)
  • Behind the Tears (Behind the Lives, #2)
  • I Heart Ed Small
  • Duplicity
  • Dear Nobody
  • Broken Gates (The P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy #2)
  • A Playboy's Love Affair
  • Le Brasier des souvenirs (Phænix, #2)
  • Forbidden to Love (The Erosians, #1)
  • Sleepless (Bird of Stone, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Eternal Forces #1)
  • A Happy Accident
  • Second Chance (First Comes Love, #2)
  • Flame (Flame Set, #1)
  • Friday Night Alibi
  • Captured
  • Blakewood
Laekan is a writer and explorer extraordinaire who grew up in the flatlands of West Texas. She graduated from Texas Tech with a BA in Creative Writing and is the author of the multi-cultural New Adult novels The Things They Didn't Bury, Orphans of Paradise, and Breathing Ghosts, as well as the YA Paranormal series, The Girl In Between. Follow her adventures here on Goodreads, on her blog, or on tw ...more
More about Laekan Zea Kemp...

“Then he kissed her without breathing, without thinking. He kissed her until his entire body was tingling from the taste of her.” 2 likes
“People weren't made for this kind of thing, he said, the way I feel about you, how much I feel, no one ever has or ever will even come close to it.” 2 likes