Start by marking “Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr” as Want to Read:
Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr

Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr

For centuries, the bards have sung of King Arthur’s return,
but is this reluctant warrior prince the answer to those prophecies?

In the year 1399, Welsh nobleman Owain Glyndwr is living out a peaceful gentleman’s life in the Dee Valley of Wales with his wife Margaret and their eleven children. But when Henry of Bolingbroke, the Duke of Lancaster, usurps the throne of England
Published November 4th 2012 by Cader Idris Press (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr

Matt Kelland
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I was somewhat disappointed by this. I was interested in knowing more about Glyndwr and the Welsh revolt, and was hoping for a book that would give me plenty of historical information woven into a solid story. Sadly, it was unsatisfying on both counts. Major events such as the capture of Conwy Castle were glossed over in mere sentences, when they could easily have justified pages or even whole chapters. And the characters never really got a chance to show their true natures.

Really, the book need
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a vast and detailed novel of the life of Owain Glyndwr--a descendant of Welsh Princes who fought against Henry IV and Henry V of England. I found his story to be remarkable, both inspiring and incredibly sad. It has cast a new light upon an era of history that I have previously read so much about.
The character of Owain Glyndwr in this novel is a very complex one, constantly changing in reflection of the course of his life's events. Unfortunately, in many ways, his character did not neces
Mark Halse
Gollie! I'm calling this one before the steam clears from this pile of shit! What I wanted was the courageous tale of the last Welsh Prince of Wales as he battles the tyranny of Britain and eventually fails. What I got was stories of Welsh women giving birth with a Welsh battle thrown in here and there. No characterization and thin plot make this a displeasure to read. Why do many birth scenes? I'm still scratching my head.
Vicky Hunt
"On the Threshold of Heaven Lies Wales"

A rare and delightful book that contains the best of historical plot writing, Uneasy Lies the Crown is available in whispersynced Kindle & Audible narrated by Kyle McCarley. The narrator reads this story in the perfect Welsh accent of a native. It weaves the historical events of the revolution in Wales centered around the year 1400 and the life of Owain Glyndwr. It is written with all the enchantment and glory of the old King Arthur legends. It draws y
Deirdre
Apr 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Testament to the need for good editors. Appalling stuff - overwraught and overwritten. Poorly structured and poorly pased. If there was character development, I didn't see any evidence of it. Got 25% of the way through and could do no more. Throwing historical figures at a page and crossing your fingers is not how to write a novel.
Craig Wilson
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well enough written, though I was disappointed by it being a fictionalized account of a specific time period, clearly trying for a Braveheart styled tale. If you're interested in the infinitely more interesting and factual history, find a proper historical account.
Therese
Before reading this book, I knew nothing of Owain Glyndwr other than a mention in a biography that I recently read about Henry IV. Henry learned that seizing the crown was one thing but keeping it was another especially when the Welsh, the Scots, and the French were all willing to go to war against him (and did). However Owain of Wales was content to live in peace as he had during the reign of Richard II, but when Henry usurped the throne from his cousin, not everyone was pleased, especially tho ...more
Tessa
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve been reading a bit about the Welsh revolts in the last years and since so little is written about this particular prince I decided to give this book a try. I’ve been spoiled. Having read the amazing work of Sharon Kay Penman about some of the previous revolts this one did let down a bit, I really shouldn’t compare because it isn’t fair but I do wonder what mrs Penman could have done with the characters, they are so interesting but with this one it fell a bit flat. Can’t really put my finger ...more
Sherry Sharpnack
This novel of Owen Glyndyr, self-titled Prince of Wales, was about the last Welshman to lead a rebellion against England. It ends sadly, as all rebellions against superior forces do.

This could have been far more enjoyable w/o the tedious to-and-fro across Wales during the long years of Glyndyr’s rebellion. This may be more meaningful to those w/ a knowledge of Welsh topography; it meant nothing to me. The sameness of the chapters really made it difficult to finish the novel. But that very point
Joyce
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an historical fiction novel. It covers the time period late 1300s to mid 1400 when Wales is trying to break free of England and their new king. I found it interesting, but it wasn't a book I couldn't put down.
Rose
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I thought the presentation was a little strange but I always appreciate the history lesson she includes in her writings. The investigation,as always, was intriguing with all it’s twists and turns. Another work well done!
J SANDRA RAEDER
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Sasson Marvel

Excellent, courageous and historically refreshing. You will enjoy reading this Welsh novel. Owain 's life had many twists and you will admire him.
Keith
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I had a hard time keeping all the Welsh names straight.
Mirella
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
A long time fan of author N. Gemini Sasson, I was eager to read this, her latest novel. I expected to be dazzled with great story telling, and I truly was.

Known as the last true Welsh prince of Wales, Owain Glyndwr, dedicated his entire life in trying to secure Wale’s freedom from English rule. A man of honor, greatly respected, and with the heart of a lion, Owain lives a happy life surrounded by his wife and children. As turmoil with the English increases, Owain soon finds himself torn away fro
Scott Haraburda
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
One of the best historical fictional audiobooks that I’ve heard. Uneasy Lies the Crown is a retelling of the story of Owain Glyndwr, the last Welsh Prince of Wales. He started the Welsh Revolt against England’s King Henry IV, which was successful initially but eventually collapsed from key weaknesses. For those Shakespeare enthusiasts, he was portrayed in his play, Henry IV, as a wild person ruled by emotion.

The book was incredibly well-written in easy to understand prose by pulling me into the
Mycala
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great book, but it's not my usual genre. There were a lot of names to keep track of -- and if you're not familiar with the names of this culture that can make it even more confusing. I was able to keep up for the most part. The book starts out with Owain as a child and comes full circle through his struggles, triumphs and eventual... well, read the book.

This is not a light read, and if you get attached to the people you're reading about, it can be a bit emotionally traumatizing. Thing
Jim
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I like historical fiction but expect it to be more or less half history and half fiction with something to learn. This book regarding the Welsh independence movement circa 1400 led by their Prince Owain Glyndwr seems to be only about 20% history with spurts of historical names and relationships that don't add much to the story but probably relate to some research find. None the less, it's a relatively interesting adventure story with romance, treachery, politics and social injustice in the mix. ...more
Michael
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of the author's other works, I think you'll enjoy this tale of Welsh freedom from England. I look for the same things in my historical fiction books that I look for in the fantasy books I read. I want a cast of characters that I grow to care for and a tale that brings me into another place and time. You get both of those with this story. Others will nit pick about the historical inaccuracies, but I'm reading strictly for entertainment. This goes in my list of books that I will re ...more
Cindy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love any story about Wales, and this author does the wild, Welsh mountains justice! This story follows the life of Owain Glyndwr, the unnamed King of Wales. This story is full of battles and skirmishes between the fierce Welshmen, led by Glyndwr, and the King of England (from Richard to Henry of Bolingbroke to Henry's son, Harry, or Henry V). If only Owain had gotten support from with Scotland or France! But those countries have their own tale to tell. Owain was a brave warrior who never gave up ...more
Valerie Christie
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting - I didn't know anything really about Owain Glyndwr or Welsh history before I started reading but the book made me want to find out more about him and his role in the story of Wales. The book has a good mixture of narrative and dialogue, and I was able to tell from the quality of the narrative that the author had done a lot of research. I liked the way the narrative rotated between third person and first person.
Betty
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.75 - 4 stars. Good read. Good character development, although there were so many characters, it was sometimes hard to keep track of where they fit in. No loose ends. Very good on research, appreciated the bibliography. Remarkably, not too much blood and gore, but battles were fully described. Looking forward to reading more.
Steve Roberds
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's character development was excellent. Each has flaws that may mirror some of our own, which strengthens the reader's connections to these 700-year-old characters. Knowing little detail about this era of British history, I enjoyed this glimpse into the political challenges and absurdities of the time.
Claire
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted this book to be so much more than what it was. The time period is very interesting and I knew very little of this Welsh Prince. The historical reporting was good, but the story built around the facts was too thin.
Carter
Apr 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Was a free Amazon download. I gave it a try and unfortunately I agree with some earlier reviewers. I just couldn't get into it, so I'm putting this one down and moving onto other books on my reading list.
Marilyn
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The story of Owain Glyndwr struggle for independence from England fighting against Henry IV. If you don't know the story, it's well worth reading. Sasson is an excellent writer and has done her research. I highly recommend this.
Fiona Howells
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good read- there isn't much fiction around on the Welsh Princes and Edward I, certainly not from the Welsh perspective.

An interesting read, esp liked the parts in Conwy Castle - my favourite castle that I've been to many times, it really brings it to life
Coleen Dailey
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An interesting story about the Welsh fight to free their country from English rule in the early 1400s. Owain Glyndwr is thought to fulfill the prophesy of Merlin that Arthur will return and a Welshman will rule England. A book well worth reading.
Micaela
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
the book was an enjoyable read. The parts where Owain was akin to a seductive hot-man were a bit much, but the rest was written in a way that kept the story going and led me to look up more of the history.
Julie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting history. Hadn't read any specifically about this point in time before. She's also a good writer. But I must admit I could easily put it down. I had to push through to finish it. Fortunately, I enjoyed the last half more than the first half.
Phyllis
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I have read by this author. I am very impressed with her. It is about the life of Owain Glyndwr who was the last Welsh Prince of Wales and the fight for independence from England. I'm looking forward to read her other books.

• Treason
  • Pride and Honour: The Battle for Saxony
  • The Fatal Crown
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • Devil's Lair
  • Colossus: Stone & Steel
  • Spirited Away (Spirited Away, #1)
  • The Plantagenet Vendetta
  • The King's Favourite Son (John Plantagenet Trilogy, #1)
  • Of Summer and Winter
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Uncrowned Queen
  • The Monmouth Summer (Women of Courage, #3)
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • On This Day in Tudor History
  • The Bard's Daughter (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #0.5)
  • The Angel Knight (Faulkener Family, #1)
  • Skye
Former teacher and track coach. Runner, gardener, dog lover and sometimes farmer. Author of medieval historical fiction: The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy: Book I), Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy: Book II) and Isabeau, A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer.