Start by marking “The Haunting Season” as Want to Read:

The Haunting Season

Be careful what you let in…

Siler House has stood silent beneath Savannah’s moss-draped oaks for decades. Notoriously haunted, it has remained empty until college-bound Jess Perry and three of her peers gather to take part in a month-long study on the paranormal. Jess, who talks to ghosts, quickly bonds with her fellow test subjects. One is a girl possessed. Another just wa
Published December 21st 2012 by Dreamscapes, Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting Season

Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Written by: Michelle Muto
Narrated by: Tavia Gilbert
This was one scary story. It was an audible book and the narrator was awesome at keeping the panic level high! My nerves were shot by the end of it. She did the many voices great.
The plot and characters were so realistic in the story. This was creepier than the movie, The Haunted, the black and white version or the new version. This was not a hack-and-slash like some horror stories. This was mostly all paranormal and just cre
Michelle Muto
Nov 10, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I don't believe in reviewing my own book. I loved writing it, though!
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This was so creepy, and was perfect for getting in the Halloween spirit! I read this one in one sitting!
Brenna
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
"It was like spring break, only for paranormal freaks."

Jess Perry sees ghosts. Well, at least she used to and she wants to again. Unlike most people who might have a breakdown if they saw a ghost, she nearly had a breakdown when she stopped seeing them. Desperate to connect to her dad and grams that passed away and to prove to her overprotective mother that she isn’t crazy, she signs up for a paid experiment at the infamous Siler House. Jess soon meets Allison, Bryan, and Gage, all about her
Latasha
3.5 this was a pretty good story, categorized under "if your in a scientific study at a haunted house." however, if this was YA, I would not let my 11 yr.old niece read it. there's a pretty racy scene. the characters were ok, Allison got on my nerves big time. someone just punch her out, ok? but those are my only complaints. it's worth a read.
Leslee
2.5 stars. This was a pleasant but underwhelming foray into the haunted house genre for me, a genre which any followers know is one that is near and dear to my heart. I think the issue here is not so much altogether the author's fault. I didn't realize going into this novel that this was marketed towards young adult or new adult, and therefore I skewed out of the reader demographic.

The novel has a very similar set up to Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, which was a very deliberate ho
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
This was a great read except for one thing...I didn't know it would be young adult. After reading it though it didn't take much away from the story and it kept me in suspense most of the time.

I would like to read a sequel to this one - maybe Riley comes back or Allison returns...I would love to see the 4 of them back together again!

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways

A. Gorman
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OH. EM. GEE. I seriously hid under the covers after reading this book. I am not normally one to read scary books, I'm a sexy mommy book kind of gal, but I am so glad I met Ms. Michelle through a friend. I did received this book as a gift but was told I didn't have to review it if I didn't want to... Well I have a big mouth, so let me blab about it, non spoiler style.

I honestly didn't know what to expected when I started reading this novel. It starts out that Jess wanted to be part of a research
Katie Walton
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ghosts, horror, new-adult
My quest to find the scariest book in the world continued with The Haunting Season by Michelle Muto. The premise is very classic and promising: a group of college students descends on a haunted house to participate in an experiment on the supernatural facilitated by a professor. The house is reportedly cursed, and people who spend a lot of time there find it addicting.

This book falls into that awkward New Adult setting, it isn't quite appropriate for teens but it feels a little off to me readin
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

"We all know we've been brought here as part of a study on the paranormal. Jess communicates wit the dead. Allison has demons on speed dial. My buddy Bryan here sends stuff to the Twilight Zone without return postage. And I've got a knack for making my own zombie zoo theme park. Fun times." -Gage

Jess is super excited to be participating in this study at Siler House. The house is beautiful and she might finally be getting answers to her weird power. Except her excit
Naomi
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Not horrible, but a bit to light for me. When I read ghost stories, I like creepy ass creepy and that wasn't this book. Overall, it really wasn't a horrible read though. It just had a bit of a more difficult time keeping my interest because of the lack of creepy factor. I would compare the scariness of this book to The Woman in Blackby Susan Hill, which scares some people but I found downright laughable.
Greg James
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Haunting Season is an excellent fusion of the Young Adult and Horror genres. The scenario we know as a group of ghost-hunters enter a haunted house for a prolonged stay. The genius loci of Siler House is as much a character as those within its walls as it gradually progresses from taunting and teasing its occupants with sights and sounds to full-blown assaults that are physical, spiritual and mental. It is like a sweet-looking but spiteful child playing with insects before it tears off their ...more
Tara
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OH MY!!!

This screams big screen! If you want to feel paranoid, slightly off, a little nervous and somewhat sick to your stomach with irrational fear - read this!

There was not one part in this whole read that I was bored. I was on the edge of my seat. I was jumping at noises. I had a little problem with turning lights on and leaving them on...all making of a fantastical thriller.

What really got me though was the last 15% of the book. Usually you know what's going to happen, the fear has numbed
Abbie
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This wasn't a bad read, but I was hoping for something creepy, and unfortunately, there wasn't many scenes that delivered that. There was a few times where I started to feel bored because of that, but overall, it was an okay read.
Emily Crow
This novel had a good premise (the tried-but-true plot of "sensitives" descending upon an evil house for a paranormal study), but bogged down too often with some awkward passages and odd pacing to be truly enjoyable. But, I read it for free with kindle unlimited, so I'm not complaining.
Lori
This book scared the crap out of me. I loved it. It was a wild ride full of nail-biting, 'holy crap' moments. I WILL so be re-reading this one!!!!!
Kate
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Although not my favorite, the story was a great change of scenery from previous books I’ve read. Muto left me feeling on edge, and at times I didn’t want to put the book down.
Amy Jones
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Are they cursed or gifted?

Jess, Allison, Gage and Bryan possess unique abilities which are incredible, terrifying and beyond anything natural or normal. Jess’s mother thinks she’s crazy. Allison’s entire family fears her. Gage’s parents resent that his gift wasn’t enough… And Bryan, well, he needs to be especially careful about what he wishes away.

Unfortunately, for this crew, their family and friends aren’t the only ones who have taken notice to their exceptional paranormal aptitude. The four y
Thomas Amo
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first haunted house novel I read was The Amityville Horror, and I even still have the original hardback. That was 1977 and it's left me craving ghost stories ever since. The Haunting Season by Michelle Muto, while a fictional tale is no less as chilling and entertaining. Four twenty-somethings are brought to Siler Hous, a grand plantation house in the deep south of Georgia. Each one of them possess a particular talent that could lend itself to understanding if there really is life beyond the ...more
Kirsti
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well, that was super disappointing! I have wanted to read this book for ages, and even special ordered it. From the premise and the reviews, I was expecting a scary tale with some shocking twists- instead, I think I've read scarier Goosebumps books!

You know what I hate? When a book just keeps asking questions? Just like these sentences? I was seriously over the constant questions the characters thought. They just repeat over and over. I'll give a few examples of the writing;

'Had he been at Siler
Emma Adams
Wow. This is one of the best – and scariest – haunted house stories I’ve read. I don’t read a lot of horror but I love all things paranormal, and I was in the mood for a good ghost story. And wow, did this deliver.

The premise is simple enough: four teenagers sign up to spend a month in a haunted house as part of an investigation into the paranormal. All have different paranormal abilities: Jess used to see ghosts, Bryan has psychic abilities, Gage can apparently resurrect the dead, and Allison i
Sofia Lazaridou
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Note to myself: Don't you ever again read a book about haunted houses after midnight. The idea of a haunted house and the noises that came from the house above mine kept me awake. The book wasn't that spooky, I am the one who is paranoid.

I was thinking about the book when I wasn't reading it. Every now and then something new was coming up and made the book more interesting. I was about 60-68% done when the big guns were pulled. After that it was impossible to put the book down. It was
Peter
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Siler House has a deep dark past. The mansion is being used for a supernatural study. The participants have been hand pick for this study.Jess, she can see and talk to ghosts. Allison, who was possessed by evil demons. Even her own family is afraid of her. Bryan,who has the ability to make things disappear. Gage, who has the power to bring things back from the dead. His parents are hoping that he can bring back his dead brother Ben. The study is conducted by Dr. Brandt. When Dr. Brandt begin ...more
☆Elizabeth
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The Haunting Season is about Jess, Gage, Allison and Bryan. All four characters meet at Siler House to take part in a paranormal experiment. Siler House is located in Savannah, GA, a town known for it's vast history of paranormal activity. The house sat vacant for many years, free of human life, until now. It's as if the house has come to life with the arrival of group. Each character has their own ability. One sees ghosts, another can sense evil, one can bring back the dead and the other well l ...more
Kyle Blount
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea of the book, but after reading only a few pages I realized this was a YA novel. I powered on through, and the idea of four gifted 18 yr olds dealing with paranormal situations, kept me going. The descriptions of Jess's and Gage's feelings for each other was cringeworthy, but I'm 41. I imagine if I was a 17 yr old girl, it would be relatable. I guess, I was expecting something scarier and horrific. What I got was a ghost story a la Twilight. If that's your cup of tea, dive in. I' ...more
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
I feel like I've read this book before but I never forget a book I've read and I know I've never read this book. >.>; I think it has to do with the subject matter.

I am divided here. This book's scares were done fairly well, compared to other horror I've read this year. However, it's also the most cliche book of horror that I've read this year as well. It has basically every horror book cliche that's ever been written.

To the point where one of the characters is named Gage and he brings thin
Kerstin
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Haunting season was a very nice change to the usual Paranormal Romance books. Even though there is a little bit of love story involved, there is a lot more about ghosts, Negromatic, demons, possession and other creepy things more that you can think of that wrapped me in and made me wanted to read all day long. Also I can't give five stars, since I had the feeling the author could have gotten a lot more out of the story since there is a lot of potential around Gage, Bryan, Jess and Allison.
Kate
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a 3 star read until it scared the crap out of me. It reads like a YA/NA cross between The Haunting of Hill House and Rose Red. I listened to the audiobook, and maybe it was the dark and windy drive home from the movies one night, or the fact that the song Three Blind Mice now will bring me to terrified tears, but I was definitely freaked out (the scene where the girls show Alison what Riley did in the woods was truly scary to listen to).
You know how you see a trailer for a spooky movie and you think hu... that looks like it could be good. Then you sort of forget about it and later you come across it on Netflix (or whatever) and you go oh! That looked like it might be good! I forgot about that movie. So then you watch it and realize all the good bits were in the trailer and even though the movie had a solid premise, it just didn't quite get there? That was how this book felt to me.
Mariana
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Holy crap this was one scary book!! A very well written and thought out scary book at that! I love how everything just comes together in perfect harmony to just create utter chaos! Having read and loved Michelle's previously written books I can say she has really out done herself with this book. This is a great book to read if you are a Stephen King fan! Put this on your TBR ASAP!
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Blood and Light Vampire, #2)
  • The Third Floor (Angel Hill, #1)
  • Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror, #8)
  • Soul Cutter
  • Certain Dark Things
  • Bailing Out into the Dead (The Famished Trilogy 0.5)
  • Dissidence (Dissidence, #1)
  • Spirit of the Revolution
  • The Second Sign (The Second Sign, #1)
  • The Eaton
  • Cemetery Tours (Cemetery Tours, #1)
  • Haunted (The Arnaud Legacy, #1)
  • The Unseen
  • The Savage Principle (#3)
  • The Haunted
  • Everlasting (Descendants of Ra #2)
  • House of Dead Trees
Writer of urban fantasy, the paranormal, and all things eerie and curious. Lover of scary books and funny movies, sports cars, chocolate, and changes of season. Owned by two incredible dogs and an iMac. Author, wife, sister, freelance tech writer, and IT geek.

Author of the bestselling novel The Haunting Season, The Book of Lost Souls, Don't Fear the Reaper, Nature's Fifth Season Of Shadow & St
“EPAC isn’t the only one who needs our abilities. Siler House wants it, too. Dr. Brandt and EPAC haven’t figured that out. Yet. But they will. When Siler House takes us, it’ll take us all. The demons said so.” Bryan knelt next to her. “You said they weren’t with you anymore. You said—” “I told the truth,” Allison interrupted. “The demons told me before I came here. They told me they’d be back. They said they’d come and take the others, too.” 1 likes
“A little fear and a little risk made life all that more adventurous.” 0 likes