Jump to ratings and reviews
After a daring escape to Earth from Arras, sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys thought she would finally be in control of her own destiny. But Earth is not abandoned, as she'd always been taught it was. It's inhabited by survivors waging a war against Arras, and Adelice is being called upon to harness her phenomenal power and help win a deadly war. But nothing on Earth is as it seems. Everyone has secrets, and those secrets are driving her away from Jost, the boy she loves, and into the waiting arms of his brother, Erik. Torn between two brothers and two worlds, Adelice must decide whatand whoshe's fighting for, before it's too late.

401 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 29, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gennifer Albin

24 books1,017 followers
****Guess what?! I am writing YA again! Check out Gennifer Albin writing as Geneva Lee and my new series GILT: By Invitation Only coming May 31!****

***HEADS UP REVIEWERS: I don't respond to review requests sent through Goodreads because I don't get on here frequently enough. However, it's super easy to fill out the review request form. I can't guarantee it will get you a copy, but it will get your name on the right list to the right people! And thank you for your interest.

BIO: I like coffee. A lot. Writing gives me time to go get a cup without my kids. I like books as much as I like coffee, but it is easier to read with children hanging on you than drink coffee due to the threat of third degree burns. That's why coffee gets top billing in my intro: its unattainability.

I hold a Masters in English with a specialization in 18th century women's studies. While this is a highly marketable area of expertise, I stay home with my kids, which means my 3 year-old son uses correct grammar and doesn't burn down the house.

I have a ridiculously supportive husband who dreams of being included on a book jacket: "The author lives in Kansas with her husband, two children, and a Tuesday cat."

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
466 (9%)
1 star
113 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 573 reviews
Profile Image for Giselle.
990 reviews6,359 followers
August 16, 2013
Being the sequel to Crewel is not an easy shoe to fill. (What can beat "holy mother of giraffe balls"?) Crewel is a fantastic start to an incredibly intricate futuristic world that mixes dystopia and science fiction until our minds are blown to smithereens, and Altered, packed with even more geniusism, does an excellent job at following this up.

Without losing momentum, Altered begins right where we left of which was nothing short of an epic ending in Crewel. This is where, little by little, we begin to see the bigger picture of this world building. (I do recommend avoiding the synopsis of this sequel - it explains briefly what's happening on earth and I think it could remove some of the magic and wonder from discovering it yourselves.) Like the first, this is not a novel that allows your mind to wander, nor should you let it even if it was possible, because the complexities of the world building requires your full attention. Don't get me wrong, it's brilliant and takes an epic creative ability to have thought it up, making it the opposite of a mindless read. We're playing with not only science fiction that needs an open mind in itself, but the concept of time and its effects on these worlds is explored further as well. While there's nothing like discovering exactly how wicked this world is in the first book, I loved seeing all of it in its entirety; what it's really made up of, how it came to be, who's behind it all, and what the future possibly holds.

This sequel brings us new characters and new emotional dilemmas. More world building also means we meet more friends, more enemies, and even some… creatures. Being a big fan of zombie novels, it's not a surprise that these flesh eating "Remnants" roaming the earth had me intrigued (although these are not actually zombies, they're still equally terrifying). I was excited by this addition to the plot and I think it was very creative - as expected. It also opens up new possibilities for what could be coming in book 3. Furthermore, Adelice learns some secrets about her own life as well which I found mind-boggling, for lack of a better term. It was a little… well let's just say it's quite the unconventional situation.

Romantically, this book takes some more interesting turns. I remember falling in love with the romance in the first book. It's always hard for me to reconnect with those butterflies in a sequel after so much time has passed so I wasn't swooning as much this time, but I still found myself adoring the sweet moments we're treated to. As for how it progresses, I've decided I really like this direction. Adelice is learning more of who she is, leading her to realizations with which her heart and her mind may not agree, but she ultimately knows what's best. I appreciate that it's not the type of romance that goes back and forth with indecisiveness. Likewise, I like how, as in book 1, the romance is kept as a sub-plot.

I feel like this review doesn't cover a lot of actual plot but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. The progress we make is largely in terms of discovering conspiracies and unearthing secrets. The ending itself is not a cliffhanger exactly, but we're left with a predicament nonetheless.

Incredibly imagined and as ingenious as the first, Altered is a terrific sequel to one of my absolute favorite books of last year. A book that still has me stunned by its originality. Read my review of Crewel here!

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads
Profile Image for Monica.
Author 4 books262 followers
June 19, 2018
La segunda parte resultó más entretenida y mejor que la primera, me encantó que mezclara la historia con todo este universo tan complejo, las descripciones de los lugares y el porque de como llegaron a todo lo que estaban viviendo.
En algún momento me pareció que ya no estábamos en un libro juvenil, sino que dimos el salto a otro de ciencia ficción que la verdad no me desagradó para nada, (notese que soy el tipo de persona a la que no le atrae este genero) así que fue algo sorprendente y afirmativo, algo que no es muy común.
La forma en que se fueron uniendo los mundos y nos fueron introduciendo en la historia detrás de todo el meollo principal era algo que me llenaba de curiosidad, me sentí en esas series que ves sin ningún sentimiento y al final te dejan con algo agradable.
Lo que no me gustó fue la dosis de romance que subió mucho en comparación con el primero, fue muy predecible y tonto, si había cosas más importantes en que enfocarse¿ como porque perder le tiempo en tonterías de adolescente? bueno supongo que por que es un libro para esas edades, lo cual me creó cierto conflicto.
Por algunas formas de la trama y sus elementos me da la impresión de que se salía algunas veces del contexto de un libro para jóvenes y pisaba algo un poco más adulto, cosa que me gustó pero que se perdía entre todas esas partes de triangulo amoroso que no iban al caso.
Me gustaría saber en que acaba la historia, aunque no estoy muy segura de comprar el libro.
Profile Image for nick (the infinite limits of love).
2,119 reviews1,325 followers
December 19, 2013
What a disappointment!
The love triangle was a mess and I honestly didn't think Albin would go that way. I never felt that Adelice had much feelings for Erik in the first book and then all of a sudden they are declaring their love for each other in this one? And Adelice didn't even wait for a few hours after breaking up with Jost to jump into Erik's arms. I liked her in the first book, but I ended up hating her in this one.
Also, I didn't feel like much really happened in the book. There was some world-building but the plot was at a stand-still.
I'm not even sure I want to read the last book anymore.
HUGE disappointment!

I adored Crewel by Gennifer Albin for it's unique dystopian society and wonderful characters, which explains why I was beyond thrilled to start Altered. Unfortunately, my expectations for this book were way too high and while I thought Crewel was brilliant, Altered was a complete mess according to me.

The characters in Altered drove me mad, to the point where I hated them. These were the same characters that I grew to cherish in the first book, but their frustrating decision-making skills and other elements made me really dislike them in this installment. Adelice, the main character, was a strong, brave and pretty great character in the first book, but in this one, she was a completely different person. She would make illogical decisions that constantly put herself in the face of danger and that's not a characteristic I appreciate in a character. You can be a risk-taker, but think before you're making any kind of decision. In addition, her fluctuating feelings between Jost and Erick also bothered me, but I'll get more to that later. Erick was another character I grew to dislike in this book. No matter what, going after your brother's girlfriend is seriously low. Jost was probably the only one I enjoyed in this novel because he remained true to himself. I liked that despite not being at the Guild that he still deeply cares for his daughter. In addition, Altered introduced us to some new secondary characters none of whom I found to be particularly interesting except maybe for Dante, who had interesting shades to him.

Now onto what went completely wrong for me: the bloody love triangle. See, nothing in the first book led me to believe that Adelice actually had any feelings for Erick. I knew Erick had feelings for her, but Adelice? I should have known that this would turn into a dreaded love triangle when I read the first book. My biggest problem with it was how quickly Adelice turned her affection from Jost to Erick. It was unbelievable and made me want to call Adelice a few choice words. Plus, they admitted to loving each other rather quickly. I hate when authors do this. They make you fall for this love interest in the first book and just when you're comfortable with the first love interest, the main character turns to the other guy. It makes me lose respect for the characters. I disliked how Adelice didn't even give a thought to Jost and just ran into Erick's arms (and bed) after an argument she had with Jost, which by the way, could have been solved with communication. So, the romance ended up completely ruining my experience of the book.

Besides the disastrous love triangle, I also had trouble adjusting to the new world. The world-building in the first book was stunning, unique and all sorts of creative, but in this one because they are no longer at the Guild, the author had to refresh the world-building and this time, it didn't impress me as much as I wanted it to. Plus, some of the twists and revelations about the characters and the world-building didn't work for me and they came across as too ambitious to me. I also did not feel like much happened in the book and there were moments when my attention started to stray away from the book.

In the end I thought Altered suffered from middle-book syndrome and I honestly don't know if I have any interest reading the final installment of the trilogy when it comes out next year. I don't know if I can recommend this one to anyone because I personally disliked it very much. Definitely check out other reviews before deciding.

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for ♔ VEE ♔.
187 reviews49 followers
November 12, 2013
Now a cover whoa whoa whoa lets not get ahead of ourselves here!
8-8-13

FINALLY THERE IS SOME INDICATION OF THE SECOND BOOK
Profile Image for Stacee.
2,672 reviews701 followers
June 19, 2013
2.5 stars? God that hurts to say.

I loved Crewel, it was so magical and I adored the way time was presented in the book. It seemed like it was a character. Altered didn't feel the same way.

Obviously, it's not going to -- they're on earth instead of Arras, for one thing. But Adelice seems to be indecisive about everything. The push and pull between her and Jost/Erik seems contrived. There are a lot of new characters in this new setting, but I couldn't find even one to care about.

The ending was interesting, but I knew some variation of it was going to happen. I'm going to give it some time and do a reread, but either way, I'll definitely be reading book 3.

Just so you know, it breaks my heart to type this as a review. Altered was one of the books I was most looking forward to in 2013.
Profile Image for Colleen Houck.
Author 23 books8,940 followers
Read
July 24, 2015
I love the whole weaving of threads and that everything and everyone breaks down into that. So interesting to realize this was actually something that took place during or after WWII. Not what I expected at all. Love the whole science twist at the end.
Profile Image for Tati.
937 reviews84 followers
September 23, 2014
In my opinion, one of the greatest issues with fantasy series is that, in the first book, the world building is introduced, as well as the characters, and the reader is intrigued by both. However, after reading the first book, the reader then has to wait a year before being able to read the second one. By then, the world building is quite blurred in the reader's memory, and then the author decides to not do a recap. This, in turn, leaves the reader with two choices: either he finds a detailed synopsis for the first book somewhere or he just pushes on and remains confused until the pieces finally start falling into place again.

That was my case when I started this book. Because I was too lazy to look for a synopsis of Crewel, I was a confused reader. Add to it a confusing plot, that also failed to engage me, and you get a relieved reader at the end of the book.

I couldn't relate to the characters this time, and Adelice's choices, especially regarding the weird love triangle, were just weird. However, what really made me go "Are you serious?" was the cameo at the end of the book

Not even the twist at the very end made me more interested to know what will happen in the next book. At this point, I have no desire to read the next book.
Profile Image for david.
144 reviews45 followers
November 13, 2015
"Adelice, a talented 16-year-old Spinster, leaves behind her life in Arras, along with brothers Jost and Erik, for the damaged Earth. There, she finds that her ability to weave the threads of life together is thwarted. She discovers gifted men called Tailors-beings who are able to alter and piece together the fabrics of individual lives. Erik hides the fact that he is a skilled Tailor, and Adelice is one of the rarest beings: both Spinster and Tailor. The story is about survival and romance (Adelice is drawn to both Jost and Erik). As the heroine's feelings intensify, she challenges the idea that Spinsters who consummate a romance will lose their ability to weave. Albin aptly weaves her unique vocabulary into the complex plot. Adelice fights the Guild, the powerful leaders of Arras, and the Remnants, soulless former humans, and struggles to understand herself and her abilities. "How can I discover who I am when my world is built of secrets and shadows?" she asks herself. The loose ends involving Adelice's family and a world-saving creation called "The Whorl" will leave fans waiting eagerly for book three. Altered is a mix of romance and adventure that will be most enjoyable for readers of the first novel..."
Profile Image for Erin.
1,172 reviews
December 2, 2013
Yet another book has landed into my second-book-sydrome pile. As much as enjoyed the first book in this series, in the end this new sequel, Altered, was a book that didn't have a lot of things going for it and was a major letdown, especially for someone like me who had enjoyed the first book very much. Whether it was because I had too many expectations for this book or because of something else entirely, unfortunately this book was not what I was expecting and failed to impress me.

The ending, however, was probably the only redeeming factor in this entire book and it'll be interesting how that will affect the third and final book that is coming out next year. So overall, I may have been disappointed in this book - more so with the characters themselves and the romance triangle thing or whatever that was - but I will still be reading the next book in hopes I will enjoy that one much more. Hopefully.
Profile Image for Tabea Vanessa.
427 reviews24 followers
March 3, 2018
4,5 stars without a question!
I love this world so so much. It’s so creative and thought out. Also the characters are amazing. I love Erik! I don’t understand why more people aren’t reading this...
Profile Image for Alejandra Zárate.
45 reviews1 follower
July 3, 2015
No sé qué pensar, se me hizo un poco lento, no me mantuvo tan entretenida como el primero pero bueno. Fue raro leer de ese personaje en estos mundos imaginarios, jajaja.

Por otra parte, Adelice cayó de mi gracia un poco. Conclusión: no shippear a nadie.

No sé a quién amo, me confundió esto. Creo que ya me da igual el triángulo amoroso. *my heart is broken and confused*
Profile Image for Heather.
570 reviews
July 25, 2013
Ok, so this book is VERY different than it's predecessor, Crewel. Whereas Crewel was more fantasy, Altered is more sci-fi/ alternate history. It is a bit jarring, and I know that some readers have had a hard time with this, but I'm not really one of them. I rather like this new direction. Lots of new characters, Dante being my favorite.

Word to the wise: the Jost/ Erik love triangle from Crewel is back in full force. In fact I have now switched teams, which doesn't always happen to me in the second book of a series (Warner from the Shatter Me series being the exception to the rule:)

I'll have more on this soon!

**UPDATED REVIEW**

*This review does contain SPOILERS for book #1 in the series, Crewel. You've been warned!*

Fans of Crewel may be in for some surprises when they begin the sequel Altered. I think it is fair to say that Crewel ended on a cliffhanger. If you recall, Adelice has learned the Guild's dirty little secrets, and their plans to have her re-mapped. During the final scene, Adelice rips a hole in Arras between the worlds and grabbing Jost, and his brother Erik, escapes to Earth.

I remember reading this part of Crewel and being all "What. The. Heck. Just. Happened." I was really excited that the next book would most likely take place on Earth, which by all accounts is war torn and ravaged. It felt like the next book would be even more science fiction in feel and I was super excited about this as well. It was the science fiction parts of Crewel, Spinsters weaving matter and time to create a new world, that had been the most fascinating to me.

But I will say that reading Altered was different in many ways from most second book's in a series, because the setting has changed so dramatically. In addition to the landscape of Arras, that whole fantasy-world feel, complete with castles and courts, has been replaced by the grittier, post apocalyptic setting of Earth. In my review of Crewel I noted that there was some big time genre blending going on. Crewel had elements of dystopian fiction combined with fantasy and science fiction. Well Altered adds post apocalyptic AND alternate history to the mix. Guys, I like genre blending a lot, I even wrote a blog post about it recently. I know that sometimes it can be hard to pull off successfully, but I rather like how Albin has managed it in this series so far.

There are a few appearances by characters from Arras (a couple that were quite surprising) but for the most part, Altered ushers in an entirely new cast. And while I can understand how this dramatic shift might not jive with some readers, it didn't bother me so much. In fact I was fascinated with the new characters, especially the Sunrunners, who control the solar energy on Earth, and in particular the characters of Dante and Falon.

A new villain is also presented in the form of Kinkaid, though when compared to the Guild and sleazy Cormac Patton, Kinkaid wasn't nearly as menacing.

But the best part of Altered is that readers get more of an explanation of how the world of Arras came to be. And I'll just say that what Adelice discovers about the Guild and Arras in Crewel is JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. The very tippiest of tips in fact. There is so much MORE going on than I expected. And as I mentioned earlier, you should also know that Altered's storyline morphs further into an alternate history. As we learn what occurred on Earth to allow for the creation of Arras, a whole bunch of real life historical figures make an appearance. Guys, I really like alternate history books. I recently finished another (Star Cursed, The Cahill Witch Chronicles) and I think it's pretty darn cool when a writer re-imagines how the world we know might have turned out had certain moments in history gone down differently. I won't give any spoilers away, but don't be surprised when a few very famous and recognizable names from the past are mentioned.

So what about this 'love triangle of doom' romance that had so many people cringing after they read Crewel? Well, it is still present. BUT. Adelice has changed quite a bit from the first book. No longer this curious, yet frightened, girl, Adelice has not only recognized the power she holds as a creweler, she has embraced it. And Adelice isn't the only character to have developed and changed. Nothing is as simple as it was in Crewel, including Adelice and Jost's romance. Ditto for the flirty attraction between she and Erik. No spoilers from me but I will say that I jumped ship in this story. I started out wanting Adelice with one guy and by book's end, felt quite differently about the situation. I feel like one of the two brothers is the better match for Adelice. But of course that doesn't mean it is going to play out that way in book #3. Or that I won't change my mind again. Seems I'm sort of fickle with this particular three way romance:)

I really could go on and on, and maybe I will come back and add a little more to this review before the book releases in October, but for now I think I'll stop here because elaborating even more might give too much away. I'll just say that even though Altered has a very different vibe to it than Crewel, it worked for me. I am very excited to see what happens in the final book in this trilogy--because honestly, I think anything could happen at this point. Albin has plotted this book out in a very interesting fashion. Now if we could jut get a book cover! :)
Profile Image for Cynthia Nobuta.
257 reviews14 followers
November 18, 2017
Después de terminarlo puedo decir que me gusto más el primero e inclusive aun no se si leeré el tercero (no lo tengo). No estuvo tan mal porque tuvo cosas que me sorprendieron, pero hubo ratos en que me llegue a aburrir con el. Inclusive la última parte que son las que deberían de ser las más emocionantes de un libro resulto ser tediosa, fue quizá la última pagina la que me pareció interesante, pero como digo no se si lo suficiente para leer el tercero o mejor pasarlo de largo y olvidarme de la trilogía.
Profile Image for Nalle.
432 reviews49 followers
June 17, 2020
Seguimos Adalice en un nuevo mundo a la vez que sabemos más de Erick, Jost y la corporación.
tiene algo de paja que hizo que sintiera lenta la lectura pero las descripciones que la autora da son muy necesarias para entender este nuevo mundo.
Profile Image for Latoya.
164 reviews48 followers
August 5, 2013
The story starts with Adelice, Jost and Erik landing on Earth trying to make sense of everything happening. The Guild chases after them using these Remnants to hunt them down. We learn a horrible revelation about the Remnants and Adelice isn't sure what to do with this information. Jost wants to get back to his daughter before she's completely grown because time moves by much slower on Earth. He hopes that Adelice will help him but she doesn't seem too keen on what rescuing his daughter and her sister means. She's not ready for instant motherhood and life with her equals nothing but danger. One thing they can agree on is stopping the Guild; now they just have to figure out how. With so many people pulling her in different directions, can Adelice find a way to save them all?

This second book has tons of new information with the secret force trying to undermine and take down the Guild. The mysterious stranger that comes to her and the boys’ rescue the night they land. This stranger also holds the key to the meaning of the symbol Adelice's father stamped on her when the Guild came to take her in Arras for her spinster training. She has a tremendous responsibility on her shoulders and a great amount of raw talent that she hasn't quite learned to master. Adelice's trying to control her ability but one wrong rip and she could kill them all. She's also struggling to manage her strained relationship with Jost, every time they get closer, he pulls away and Erik is standing by to pick the pieces, if she needs him.

I'm not overly fond of love triangles where two siblings like one person. Jost and Erik are okay, each has their own agenda about Adelice. The big question is which boy really loves her? Jost has a single goal in mind and Erik, well he's more mysterious but it's obvious he likes Adelice, too. Personally, I'm on the fence about both boys now, I really liked Jost in the first book but he disappoints me with his attitude in this one making me contemplate switching over to Erik, who reveals a little more of himself in this book. I'm thinking the next book will solidify, which boy deserves Adelice's affection. Overall, this is a good continuation to the story with new characters, surprises and action.

*received Arc from Around the World Arc Tour for review*

Profile Image for Ursula Uriarte.
194 reviews251 followers
October 10, 2013

Altered will be out October 22nd - Review on an ARC (no spoilers)

Being the sequel to Crewel is a tall order! I absolutely loved Crewel, the world that Genn built was beyond unbelievable, it really challenged my imagination and took it places it'd never been.
When Adelice escapes to earth taking Jost and Erik with her I expected things (as far as the world they live in) to be more familiar and while they were in a way the world building again was mind blowing, it literally becomes this totally new set of challenges and mysteries to discover.

Adelice had thought she knew what the Guild was about but was she in for a big surprise, she will soon find that pretty much everything she was ever taught was a lie and nothing is actually anywhere close to what she imagined even after having previously discovered some truths while still in Arras.
Starting with Earth, a place she had been told had been frozen for decades was very much alive and full of people with their own agenda against The Guild.
The tough part will be knowing who she can trust.
Adelice will discover, by running into someone she loves, the horrors The Guild is capable of and through this discovery her whole world will crumble when she realizes that even her identity was a lie.
Even those she trusts and loves the most have secrets, once the truth is out things wont be the same between them.
Even when she thinks she is in love there will be circumstances that will make her question that love and she is faced with making a decision and accepting whether things will work out... the good thing is? Was she to walk away there is a shoulder to lean on eagerly waiting for her.

While on earth there is trial after trial, hard truths that shake her world, but yet Adelice remains determined and strong, she is just such a badass chick! Even when she discovers that she is more important than she ever imagined and that saving Amie, Sebrina, her friends, the one she loves, Arras and Earth is all in her hands, literally!

There is romance (hot romance), action, lies and deceit, moments that make you laugh, that make you mad and that make you cry!
A sequel brilliantly delivered!

You know its gonna be a long wait when you are already wishing for book 3 when book 2 is not even officially out!
Profile Image for Jen Ryland.
1,434 reviews899 followers
Read
July 27, 2013
*I borrowed an ARC of Altered through Around the World ARC Tours*

Crewel, book one in this series, was set in Arras, a place where an all-male Guild held the political power while female Spinsters had the ability to weave time and matter. I loved Crewel's creative concept and fantasy-meets-fairy-tale setting. The book ended with an intriguing plot twist that made it seem like the series was headed in a different direction.

Okay, so I guess given the ending of book one, I should have been forewarned that Big Changes were coming. But to me, reading Altered felt a little disorienting, more like starting a whole new series. Instead of Spinsters and the Guild, we now have futuristic Sunrunners and an Agenda and some zombie-like characters called Remants. Who would have thought I was such a fantasy fan, because I definitely preferred the fanciful Old World fantasy feel of Arras to the harsh, post-apocalyptic setting of Altered. There are a few carry-over characters from Crewel, but most of the characters in Altered had an odd way of popping in and out of the story -- disappearing and reappearing. I was excited about the Remnants and a new villain named Kincaid but wished they'd all been more menacing.

Many of the new ideas and plot developments introduced in Altered seemed to me quite reminiscent of the TV show LOST-- the time manipulation, the two timelines and layers of reality, the mysterious "projects" (the Dharma Initiative in LOST and the Cypress Project in Altered), the rich guy villain Kincaid, and the love triangle. As in the show, some of these aspects of Altered were and a little … out-there.

Then there's the matter of that pesky love triangle. Though I'm not completely anti-triangle, I wasn't crazy about the whole Adelice-Jost-Erik dynamic in the first book. In Altered, the triangle only intensifies.

Longer review to come on my blog closer to review date.
Profile Image for Sam.
408 reviews114 followers
May 15, 2018
DNF at 23%. It's just so different from the first book and I just wasn't into it. It had such a different feel to it and failed to captivate me.
Profile Image for Navem.
314 reviews8 followers
January 25, 2014
SPOILERS!!!!!

What the frock? Seriously. What the frock was Gennifer Albin thinking while she wrote this book? I am shaking my head, I'm irritated and I am refraining from chucking this suck fest into my bedroom wall.
The story started out strongly. Picking up right where Crewel left off. I was actually enjoying it and I liked how she tied in real history. That was neat. But then she makes Jost and Adelice have the most asinine argument ever and then turns Adelice into a complete and utter ho bag, home wrecking slut by having her and Erik fall in love. Gag. Puke. Banging my head into the wall.

Are you for effing serious????!!! The first novel was all about Jost and Ad. The first 3 quarters is all about Jost and Ad, then he makes a statement about (god forbid) them being a family when they find Sebrina and Amie, and Ad flips the F out and decides she could not possibly be a mother?! I just think it's ridiculous. Erik went from being a second hand character to her full blown love interest and just like that Jost is reduced to background character who is apparently selfish for wanting him and Ad to raise his daughter together? I can't even handle the stupidity.
Even after all that nonsense this book just kept getting worse with Ad being "the Whorl" and they key to salvation!! Really? Blow me with that stupidness. And then it ends with her going back to the Coventry and leaving her love Erik behind and her father oh and Jost? So dumb.
This series was completely ruined for me and I highly doubt I will even glance at the third. I absolutely hate it when an author decides to switch shit up that badly right in the middle of the story. This was a horse shit sequel.
Profile Image for Caroline.
218 reviews
April 1, 2014
Gennifer Albin's Altered is the second book in her Crewel series. Adelice continues to be her witty and sarcastic self alongside fisherman brothers Jost and Erik Bell. The ideas of the story including Tailors, altering, Sunrunners, the Cypres Project, and the Whorl are fascinating and ultimately remind me of a world inspired by Lois Lowry's the Giver society which I definitely enjoyed reading. I did not however feel invested in the main characters by any means. A wonderful friend of mine rates some of her books based on the story and how the book makes her feel personally and I feel compelled to rate Altered in this way. The story itself is a 3 but emotionally and personally I have to rate the story a 2. I feel such a lack of connection to all of the characters. A lot of Adelice's choices confuse and contradict who I think she tries to portray herself.

I really expected Adelice, Jost and Erik to get caught soon after they landed on Earth and I thought it was too lucky and convenient for none of them to get caught by the 200 plus year old leader of Arras. My point being I thought the time on Earth dragged a little bit even with Adelice's story line with her father.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Ricky.
Author 8 books156 followers
September 20, 2014
This one went by blazing fast. At last, we get some idea of where Arras and the whole weaving thing came from.

Can't wait to get my hands on book 3!
Profile Image for Cris Lightwood.
457 reviews24 followers
October 6, 2014
4'5/5. Dios, debo admitir que no esperaba que está segunda parte fuera tan buena como ha sido. Me lo ha encantado leerla y me ha gustado mucho el giro de trama después del primer libro. Estoy deseando que llegue el tercero pronto *. *
Profile Image for Nicole.
629 reviews263 followers
November 13, 2013
I HATE ALL THESE CHARACTERS. ALL OFT HEM, ADELICE, ERIK, JOST, AMIE,. EVERY EFFING CHARACTER EXCEPT DANTE. THEY ARE ALL SO EFFING STUPID. AND OMFG AMIE I MAY NOT LIKE YOUR SISTER BUT SHE DIDNT FREAKING DESERVE THAT BITCH.

But everything else was good. 1.5 off for characters
Profile Image for Stephanie.
802 reviews8 followers
August 16, 2018
This is definitely an improvement over Crewel, although the romance with Jost was still unbearable. Thankfully, was better developed, and therefore more believable, . The plot was more engaging this time around, too (save for a few times when it felt like the characters were accomplishing a lot of nothing), and I really like the way Albin expanded her worldbuilding to include Earth.
Profile Image for Cecily Kyle.
1,771 reviews18 followers
November 26, 2017
I enjoyed this novel in the series more than the first. However, it had a lot of holes that I couldn't ignore which just gave me questions. When I put that aside, the story itself was good but predictable young adult teen relationships and expected outcomes to situations.
I liked it enough that I will definitely be finishing the series
Decent read!
Profile Image for  J Roberto.
108 reviews
May 25, 2022
Las primeras 100 páginas son lo que le faltó al primer libro.
En general se sintió algo flojo solo al final tomó algo de ritmo.
Ade por favor si quieres derrocar al gobierno por favor aprende a desarrollar tus habilidades.
Profile Image for Em H..
695 reviews26 followers
January 13, 2014
I was so excited to started Altered. So excited. I read Crewel in basically a day (and did the same thing with Altered), so I hoped going in that Altered would be the same breath of fresh air that Crewel was.

I was wrong.

This isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy Altered. I did. Clearly, because I read it in a day. It didn’t grab me the way that Crewel did, though. It didn’t have the same sense of uniqueness and depth that I felt Crewel had.

Altered was definitely a border book. I struggled with where to rate it. At first I had it as a four, because I did like the ending a lot, but the ending wasn't enough to justify rating the whole thing a four. Thus, it's a three. I do think the ending saved both the main character and the series from plummeting. My spoiler-free thoughts are that those who enjoyed Crewel might be a bit disappointed by Altered, but will probably still enjoy it.

Now, onto the spoilers.

Altered picks up right where Crewel left off with the three characters (Adelice, Jost, and Erik) landing on Earth. I thought it was great that in the first chapter or so Adelice blew up an aeroplane. What a way to introduce yourself to a new planet.

After fumbling around a bit on this new planet, they run into a character named Dante, who takes them to a compound run by a man named Kincaid once he sees Adelice’s hourglass brand her father gave her the night of her retrieval.

So, the characters get to this new compound and meet Kincaid, who seems like a man that is just a tiny bit mentally unsettled (we later learn he’s a pretty disturbed character).

And then the novel spends about two-thirds of its time with unnecessary drama within its love triangle of Adelice, Jost, and Erik. Just. So much drama that I did not care to read about. Again, the relationships happened too quickly for me to believe or invest myself in them. Plus, why would Jost, who seems so rational and logical, think that once they find his daughter, Adelice is just going to want to be her mother? Like…what? Why? Where did that come from? It frustrated me to no end. Because the author devoted more time to the relationships than the action or any of the new additions she made. They had a whole new planet to discover and explore on, but instead we get fifty pages of Adelice whining about boys.

The addition of the Remnants was so cool and I would have loved to have seen more action between the characters and these new creatures (for lack of a better term). We get some dialogue between Adelice and her mother, who has been turned into a Remnant, and that was interesting. I cared more about the mother Remnant than Adelice through most of the novel, though (and I didn’t really care about the Remnant). I also liked how they set up the timeline between Earth and Arras, where it’s an alternate reality in which Einstein created the looms to stop World War II. That was pretty interesting. I would check out a prequel to the series that went more into detail about that. And the fact that we got to see Einstein at the end of the novel was pretty cool.

One thing I thought was interesting was the fact that time worked differently on both planets. It happened much slowly on Earth. That said, I still don’t know how I feel about the fact that Adelice’s apparently biological father was on Earth. It led to dynamic between the two that was at times odd, but at times humourous, too. I shall have to see how it progresses in later novels. It just felt like a “Oooo, look at this new plot addition that’s probably going to lead to more unnecessary drama.”

The thing that probably irritated me the most, and it’s pretty apparent that there were plenty of things that irritated me with this novel, was the fact that all of the character development Adelice achieved in Crewel seemed to take one giant step back in Altered. She spent most of the novel whining (as previously stated) and completely insecure. I wanted to see her just take charge and be the person that just ripped herself from another planet. That’s pretty badass. She still had some witty banter, which helped save her. A bit.

Secondary character wise, I couldn’t care less about Jost at this point in time. He seemed cool in Crewel, but he just whined about as much as Adelice in Altered. So annoying. I still like Erik, even though I have no idea when he apparently fell in love with Adelice. They would have made such great friends, but there just had to be the implementation of romance in their relationship, too. Grumble. They have great banter, though. At this point, I believe she could have a stronger relationship with Erik than with Jost.

Adelice saved herself with the end, though. I loved that she chose to warp her friends in a bubble of time so they couldn’t be hurt by Cormac and go with him back to Arras with the intention of destroying the looms.

I’m definitely going to stick with the series for now, because at this point I’m invested to see what happens. I hope that the time without both boys will make the love triangle less annoying or that she’ll just pick one of them to love. We shall see.
Profile Image for Victoria.
Author 41 books762 followers
April 12, 2017
3.5. Es un poco más lento que el primero.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 573 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.