Start by marking “Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds” as Want to Read:
Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds

Read Excerpt

Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds

Slicing Pie outlines a simple process to get your business started even if you don’t have a lot of cash. In the early days you can use equity to get the things you need to start your company including help, equipment, supplies, rent and even credit.

Slicing Pie explains how to calculate the fair amount of equity to the right people. Learn the tricks of the trade including:

Published 2012 by Lake Shark Ventures, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds

Mike Moyer
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to do business with anyone else!
I wrote this book- is it okay to leave my own review??

I've written several books and this one is my favorite. It's easy to ready and very actionable. I wrote it to manage my own startup deals and decided to put it on Amazon. I've been overjoyed at how quickly it has been adopted by startups all over the world.

I try to make myself available to readers through my site. There is a chat feature that is available when I'm sitting at my desk. Feel free to drop by: http://www.slicingpie.com

Marshall
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I felt grateful to have read this book. It’s timely, it’s life-changing, and I believe dynamic equity split is the future of startup equity strategy. Above all, doing start-up is a fun experience, doing start-up with right people is essential, and doing start-up with fairness and integrity as foundation makes the journey much more enjoyable.

One of the best takeaways (amongst many others) from the book:

When we look at the world through only the legal lens we often overlook what is the right moral
Herve
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An entrepreneur had contacted me about equity split between founders, employees and investors in a start-up. I mentioned my experience and related blog post on the topic. Then he came back to me with a book he advised me to read. A great read. So thanks Justin :-) The book is entitled Slicing Pie, and subtitled Funding Your Company Without Funds. Here are some examples of what I liked:

The Gap: Somewhere between the inception of your earth-changing idea and the investor presentation to Andreessen
Karl Sjogren
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: valuation
In my forthcoming book, The Fairshare Model, I highlight Mike Moyer's Slicing Pie approach for allocating employee ownership in a company. It presents a logical way for entrepreneurial teams to fairly allocate ownership interests. This is hard to do if it is done before the value of an employee's contribution is known--a static equity setting. Slicing Pie provides a framework for a private company to do it on a rolling basis and in an open manner--a dynamic equity setting.

The Fairshare Model app
Jamal Mashal
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every founder and entrepreneur should read this one.
Great book
Athan Tolis
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: startups
Getting to my Series A (or so I hope) and decided to buy this to help me determine if everybody’s going in at a fair percent.

“Everybody” in our case is exactly two people, which makes it easy, but we’ve been going some time now and we’ve made all sorts of different types of contributions.

Even for us, I find the book simplistic.

So I’ve done this business before, twice (one and a half times, more like) and my partner is merely coding my ideas, since I can’t code for s**t. I’m not saying this confe
Dan
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been recommending Slicing Pie all over the place, and at least 5 friends (all members of my tribe/herd) have said they are now reading it.

I found it very useful in drawing up my grunt fund for a couple of ventures that I am conducting discovery on & it answered almost all my initial questions about dynamic equity splitting. The chapter on Shark Lake LLC was highly enlightening for 3rd party ventures too.

I enjoyed the book so much, that I wrote to Mike to thank him for his efforts.

"Th
Silvia Mansoor
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a decent introductory book into equity matters. However, the reader should know that the author's ideas are very atypical. Although I may be in the minority of the reviewers of this book, I personally would not recommend it to anybody. It is poorly written in terms of substance and organization. In addition, the nauseating use of analogies and childish words really seems as if he is presenting the topics to a classroom of first graders. The author is unfortunately patronizing his readers.

My
Detrick DeBurr
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the business books on avoiding the pitfalls of start-up entrepreneurship I have ever read. I makes a lotta sense and most of all its fair. I am encouraging every early stage entrepreneur I know to read it.
Michael Dubakov
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Quite good book, written quite poorly. Still the equity slicing model is very good. I used similar dynamic slicing in 2004 when founded Targetprocess. Worked quite well. So I definitely recommend it to any fresh startup.
Jade Handy
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A must read for anyone considering a business partnership.
Caleb
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for anyone looking to start a business with others and want to make sure that everyone who puts time and money into the business gets an equal return on the end results.
Elliot Lee
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Incredible book. I really want to start and join Grunt herds now, thanks to Grunt Funds.
Victor
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startup
This book answers one of the first questions each co-founder faces: how to split shares that cost nothing?
This book is easy to read and answers the question quite well. It is definitely beneficial to read if you intend to split the shares FAIR. And the main idea is to use a form of Dynamic Equity Split, named Grunt Fund, and divide the shares as you go based on contributions.
In the book, you'll find only ONE approach, though open to customizations, which could be a good starting point, but I fo
Antony
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Starting a venture is an exciting and demanding time. The participants need to be fully-focused on bootstrapping the business, but all too often internal conflicts arise due to lack of clarity on dividing "the pie" (equity).

Slicing Pie does a great job of providing a fair, transparent system to divide the pie, taking into account various relevant factors. Applying its principles should minimize distractions and disagreements, and leave the founders to concentrate on building the product and the
Saša
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
The overall point of the book is fine (having dynamic "equity" before investments and real equity). The execution is not. Too many things are left unsaid, the biggest one being is how to enforce "grunt pie and slices" in any legal way. Yes, fairness is promoted throughout the book but not all people are fair, that is why laws and rules exist. Also, I did not like the language used throughout the book. Often I thought how he talked about "grunts" in a bad and non-humane way. Lastly, one star is t ...more
Art Ianuzzi
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will not entertain the notion of an equity partner who has not read this book. While the outline presented in the book is very rigorous, the reader can at least gain the insights that have undoubtedly come from someone learning the hard way that casual and sloppy agreements about equity are a disaster. The author does offer an online platform that provides the recordkeeping needed to follow the rules in the book.
Derek Pankaew
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Although the methods in this book are pretty novel, I think it's unlikely to work anytime soon, especially in startups. Most startup investors - and employees - don't want you to innovate on the equity system. It's difficult to judge the relative value of 4 years vs 6 years stock options. When you add in the complexity of the Slicing Pie system, it becomes untenable.

It's well written, but I'm not sure it'll work in the real world.
Timandra Whitecastle
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an easy-to-read breakdown of how to finance a start-up (in any line of work) and manage said finances to be fair to anyone involved. Fascinating.

Also love this snippet:
A greedy Fat Grunt is someone who is comfortable benefiting at the expense of others. There is a word for people like this; the word is asshole. It’s best not to do business with assholes.
Roger Scherping
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a 4 for content. The author lays out his idea very clearly, with sample calculations, and case studies. He answers every question that the reader might think of.

But I rated it a 3 due to the poor editing. There are many run on sentences, instances of missing punctuation, and typos. You'd expect more from someone with his academic background.
Andrew Milne
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd time I have read this book and I can’t say enough about it. Well worth the read. It provides anyone who is starting something new a fair approach to the time and investment into a new venture.
Sergio Reyes Armas
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, i would call it a guidebook for how to hire a founders team; It explains how to deal with all the invested hours, money, supplies of each founder and how to deal with an absent founder
Keith Dickson
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
How to manage expectations and effort in a start up venture.
A great model easily explained.
Alejandro Perez
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this book 15 years ago.... It has some valuable ideas that can help launch new companies with very little or almost no cash.
Manuel
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b2f, kindle, lo-tengo
Imprescindible si estás montando una empresa
Morten
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This books main point is on the website and it simply rehashes the idea over and over again.

not worth the buy - but the methodology presented is solid
Eugene
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good book on slicing pie method for sweat based equity.
Alejandro Estrada
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This methodology is useful in some cases like a startup but it's not the best way for my opinion... I hadn't try it yet.
Shirley Shaw
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best strategy for equitable treatment

Definitely one every founder should read before recruiting any cofounders. Once a company gets going, the subject of equity only gets tougher. This guide sets you up for the most fair and maximally successful position you could be to move forward as a fairly treated founding team.
John van Saders
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice concept for early startup equity allocation
Goodreads Librari...: Update image for Slicing Pie 3 20 Jun 02, 2013 11:44AM
  • Urban Preppers with Kids, Pets &Parents
  • The Illuminator: Access to Universal Intelligence
  • HomeSkills: Carpentry: An Introduction to Sawing, Drilling, Shaping & Joining Wood
  • A Good Birth: Finding the Positive and Profound in Your Childbirth Experience
  • Hidden Credit Repair Secrets
  • Startup Boards: Getting the Most Out of Your Board of Directors
  • 300 Questions to Ask Your Parents Before It's Too Late
  • The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs
  • You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling
  • Food Over Medicine: The Conversation That Could Save Your Life
  • Weathering the Storm
  • Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders
  • Easy Granola Bar Recipe
  • Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit, and the Era of Predatory Lenders
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • Worthless, Impossible and Stupid: How Contrarian Entrepreneurs Create and Capture Extraordinary Value
  • Get Back in the Box: Innovation from the Inside Out
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
Mike Moyer is an entrepreneur who has started a number of companies including Bananagraphics, a product development and merchandising company, Moondog, an outdoor clothing manufacturing company; Vicarious Communication, Inc, a marketing technology company for the medical industry; Cappex.com, a site that helps students find the right college; and College Peas, LLC which provides publications and c ...more
“When employees give up and stay, the environment becomes plagued with resentment and low morale.” 0 likes
“Fairness is More Fun.” 0 likes