Jump to ratings and reviews

These Days #1

After Tuesday

Family really is a pain…especially when your father is an addict.

For the last two years, high school senior Ruby has been her own rock and solace. She has learned to depend only on herself and hides her family's issues by keeping herself somewhat unnoticeable. Despite her isolation, Ruby has intrigued the affections of someone unexpected. Finding herself loving life once again as his persistence sparks a romance awakening a well-protected heart.

While Ruby’s relationship with her father is constantly teetering, her new-found affection continues to blossom into something more than she ever thought possible. Soon, Ruby comes to realize that opening up your heart means being susceptible to love and disappointment.

YA-M: This book contains mature content including profanity, drug/alcohol use, and sexual situations/language.

Nook

First published May 5, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Renee Ericson

24 books442 followers
Renee Ericson is the author of More Than Water and the These Days series--After Tuesday, Forgotten Yesterday, and Deciding Tomorrow.

Originally from the Midwest, she now resides in a small town just outside of Boston with her husband and three children.

Most winters, Renee can be found skiing with her family on the slopes of the White Mountains. During the summer months, she likes to spend every spare minute soaking up the sea air at the beach. All those moments in between, she is talking to imaginary characters and caring for her children.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
165 (8%)
1 star
78 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 222 reviews
Profile Image for * Meli Mel *.
856 reviews646 followers
May 4, 2013
~Arc provided by author in exchange for an honest review~

***4 Sweet First Love Stars***

After Tuesday is a story about a girl named Ruby. She is a seventeen year old girl, who pretty much lives alone. Sure, her father resides in the same house as her, but it's like he isn't even there. He is a walking zombie consumed by his addiction, while Ruby has to watch and at times be a parent to him. She justs wants to turn eighteen so that she can finally move on with her life.

One summer, Ruby becomes friends with Lexi. Ruby isn't one to have friends because she doesn't want nor trust anyone to know about her life. Then, she meets Brent, the hottest guy at school. He had never noticed and now he seems to be very interested in her. Brent likes Ruby and he wants to know everything about her but he can tell she is holding something back. She doesn't want to be hurt like she is by her dad, but she can't stop what she is feeling for Brent so she gives as much of herself as she can.

I loved the story. It was very sweet to see Ruby and Brent's relationship grow. It was like experiencing your own first love all over again. Ruby's life wasn't easy but she still held herself tall and tried to give herself a better life without having much support at home. She became strong and independent because of that. When her father was passed out from his addiction, Ruby was there to pick him up and take him home. She was such a great teenage character.

Something's happening, and it's beyond my control. I feel different around him. When I'm with Brent, I feel a sense of comfort, and when he isn't around, I feel nerves and longing. I want to be with him. I want to see him.

Brent I loved! He was really sweet and caring to Ruby. He wanted to get to know her completely and wanted to support her in any way that he could. He showed her what love could be like. I thought he was also a wonderful character and quite mature as well. You get to see them both grow and learn together and it was realistic to me in the way that they handled situations. In the end they are just teenagers and still have a lot to learn about life.

I very much enjoyed the story and the characters. I really liked Lexi too. She was such a great best friend who never turned her back on Ruby. The timing of all the things that happened, I think were just right. It was a very well written YA book that had love, friendship and heartbreak. I definitely recommend all you YA lovers out there to give this a read. A big Thank you to Renee Ericson, for allowing me to read your book.

Profile Image for Jamie.
1,005 reviews914 followers
May 10, 2014

AMAZING BEAUTIFUL STORY!!!

I was in the mood for some good YA and After Tuesday had been sitting in the back of my mind for a while since it came out a month ago and a quarter of the way through I was mentally kicking myself for not cracking this baby open sooner. Once I started I couldn't put it down... Beautiful!!!

Renee took me back to high school.. and that first love. That giddy feeling you got passing each other in the halls..wondering if he was thinking about you like you were thinking about him. The sidelong glances, the shy smiles, the unknown, the excitement.. all leading up to that perfect moment when THE BOY finally makes his move. Remember that feeling? Well Renee sure remembers and she put it in print. My mouth actually started cramping from all the grinning I was doing throughout this book.

The story of Ruby and Brent was just so sweet and I loved watching them fall for each other... but this fall didn't come with problems..they're teenagers after all.. but Ruby has some pretty sad problems and home and several moments actually brought tears to my eyes with what she was dealing with. She was so strong for someone so young and my heart hurt for her. Brent was the rock she needed to get away from it all and he did piss me off pretty bad once but Brent is that perfect guy and of course he gets his head on straight. It wouldn't be that great love story without a bump or two, right?

This is a MUST READ for YA fans and even if YA isn't totally your thing, I still think if you enjoy a sweet love story then you should still give this one a go. This is a YA so there is nothing explicit but there is still plenty of steamy moments and several "sigh out loud with a dreamy smile on your face" moments...

Bottom line.. I LOVED IT and absolutely recommend it!
Profile Image for BookHeroin .
283 reviews351 followers
May 21, 2013
4 HEART WARMING STARS
After Tuesday By Renee Ericson .

Kindle Edition

A free copy was provided by the Author in exchange of an honest review.

~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~

After Tuesday is a beautiful, heart worming story about Family, love ,acceptance and understanding.
I had a great time reading this book,
I laughed at some parts and cried at others but at the end, i had such a great time learning about those characters and living there happiness and grieve with them.

~~*♥*♥*~~

After moving from Colorado two years ago, Ruby's and her father's relationship is not the same anymore, he is not the same anymore. He has changed, started to drink, partying, he ended up being an addicted. She doesn't only have to keep what left of her family together she must keep herself together enough to go away and move past this life.
She always kept to herself until Brent came along, he's like no other. A Football hottie (Soccer for Americans), and one of the most popular guys in the school. The problem is that she doesn't want to let him in, she doesn't want to loose herself in him, because the last thing she needs right now is a broken heart.

But when he comes along with his kindness and sweet gestures. She just stops fighting and let herself fall...

"And I feel
All the faint morning light
Filled with hope
Cause you're here in my life
And we've gone
From the edge of our souls
Made it back to a place we call home"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Yeah all the things that you are
Beautifully broken,
Alive in my heart
And know
That you are everything
Let your heart sing and tonight
We'll light up the stars"

Here are Ruby and Brent
And This
is their song ♫

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"I feel... all the faint morning light
Filled with hope cause you're here in my life"

~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~*♥*♥*~~~~

Recommended to 16+

Profile Image for Talltree.
2,081 reviews25 followers
September 27, 2015
Low angst YA romance between relatable h( at least to me) and sweet jock H where you could feel the connection!! Safe romance with a HFN ending.
3.75 stars!
Profile Image for Renee.
Author 24 books442 followers
Read
April 30, 2015

AFTER TUESDAY: http://amzn.com/B00CNVVJZE

Book Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/embed/SQ1IzDjRnwk

Excerpt:

Leaning over the console, I press my upper body to his. I focus on his mouth and the way his chest feels against mine. His heart is hammering as I move my hand up the length of his stomach to his chest, bringing goose bumps to his skin. He leans back a little as I push myself forward, wanting to be on top of him.

I pull back briefly. With a heavy breath, I say, “Move the seat back.”

-Location 1695, After Tuesday
Profile Image for Alyssa.
31 reviews
May 14, 2013
This Young Adult novel is full of firsts, butterflies and sweetness. After Tuesday brought me back in time, making me feel those firsts all over again.

Butterflies in tummy photo: butterflies in my tummy Butterflies-on-the-Stomach.jpg

Ruby is a high school senior looking to find her way in a world that seems to have ignored her. Her family life is a guarded secret and her friends list was slim. All of that changed the summer before her last year of school began.

Teenage love photo: teenage love teenagelove.jpg

Brent is an All-American boy, an athlete and extremely swoon-worthy. He notices Ruby and almost immediately they found this connection, a new love—their love. Opening up isn't something Ruby is used to, but finds that it's quite easy with someone like Brent...until Brent finds out something she's kept from him, misinterpreting her omissions. They have struggles to overcome and obstacles to conquer.

Canoe photo: canoe canoe.jpg

What this book did was show a beautiful and realistic life of a teenager finding her way in a world that isn't perfect, but having that special someone by your side to help fight the demons, makes all the difference in the world.

Young couple kissing photo: young-couple-about-to-kissing.jpg
Profile Image for Alex.
33 reviews4 followers
December 19, 2013
With all the good reviews for this book, I admit, my expectations were a tad on the high side. They weren't soaring, but I expected more.

A lot more.

I found this book absolutely ridiculous.

Every review said it was "great paced" and it was "a great romance" and all this other absolute bullshit. This book, sucked. I cannot actually come up with a word for this book, that is how much I hated it.

Within three days, Brent and Ruby like each other. Okay, I can handle fast paced romances, to an extent. But this was complete bullshit.

I found their relationship completely cheesy and over the top. It was ridiculous and boring. I don't expect some tragic thing in every book, but this was just absolutely pointless.

Within less two weeks they love each other, and they're fucking? That just makes the main character sound like whore, not someone in love.

I found Ruby's dad "addiction" completely stupid, and not at all realistic. Maybe it's the fact that I've read to many books with addiction in them where they're more hardcore than the dad passing out. But I thought him being an "addict" is bullshit.

And the fact that Brent thought Ruby was the one with the drinking problem was cringe worthy. Is he seriously that stupid? In literally five minutes she would not already be drinking at a bar.

Let me just point out some of the ludicrousness of this book:

"I've gotten so used to touching Brent today that my skin involuntarily tingles with the need to feel him again."

Seriously? I found this absurd. She calls her dad the addict and yet when she's not near Brent she is dying with the need to touch him again. She is literally just to stupid to realize she is basically addicted to Brent.

"A tingling sensation shimmies up my spine to my head, numbing all thought processes in my brain, except that of-I don't know what this is called." It's called you being a fucking idiot.

"I realize how far my life has come in the past week. I have a group of friends, a boyfriend, and possibly, a father once again. My life has really done a 180."

I've never cared about realism in a book, but this is seriously ridiculous. Your "alcoholic" father is not going to suddenly stop being an addict. And within a week you're not going to suddenly gain a boyfriend, and a group of friends, after basically being invisible in school for the past two years.

"Brent looks at me with fearful round eyes."

Seriously? A high school soccer player, who is also a guy should not be afraid of a drunk guy with only half of his brain cells left.

Maybe I've just read too many books with the main boy having too much testosterone, but that's seriously stupid to be afraid of someone who is barely able to keep their head up.

And I'm seriously tired of reading books about the main girl or boy finding out something about the other and their first main reaction is to take a break. HAS NO ONE FUCKING HEARD OF COMMUNICATION?

SERIOUSLY?

This book was an ultimate waste of my time. Within 35% they're boyfriend/girlfriend, after three days they like each other, two weeks they're saying I love you and fucking. It was all ridiculous.

Her dad was the worst addict portrayal I've ever read about.

Over all this book was pointless and I would not recommend reading this.
Profile Image for Jamie Saunders.
408 reviews30 followers
May 21, 2013
5 beautiful heartwarming stars!!!

I was lucky enough to win an ARC of this book and I'm embarrassed that I’m just now reviewing it. To be honest, the subject matter of this book hit a little close to home for me and I was scared of the emotions it would evoke. With that being said, I couldn't be happier that I pressed on and finished this book. It was so beautifully and gracefully written that I became so swept up in Ruby’s story I couldn’t put it down. Ruby is just a teenager trying to make the best of her complicated life, overcoming obstacles and finding where she fits. Ruby was such a wonderful, tender, strong lead character. She carried so much weight on her shoulders that my heart just broke for her at times and swelled for her at others.

“I guess I don’t really know what love is or what it feels like. I thought love meant fighting for someone, no matter what. When will someone fight for me?”

The tumultuous relationship with her and her family was so deep and truthful. I wish that anyone with an addiction could read this and glimpse impact their choices have on others. One of my favorite Ruby quotes is this one…

“Although I realize that this is a struggle for him and he needs support on this journey, it’s hard on me, too. He might be the one with a problem, but it’s broken both of us.”

On a lighter note…In the beginning, all I could think about was how real this story was. It will make you think of your first love, your first make-out session. It took me right back to the day when I was in high school and had a crush on the hot boy I thought would never notice me, and then it finally happened, he noticed!

“Sometimes,” I muse with my eyes closed, “I wonder how I got lucky enough to have you in my life.”
Brent turns me in his arms, so I’m lying on top of him.
Face to face, he tells me, “It’s because you let me find you.”

“He wants me, all of me—my baggage, my body, my heart, my soul—and I want everything that he is. So, that’s what we give to each other.” ~ Ruby

After Tuesday will bring back all of your first love butterflies and then some! This book has great characters in it that drawn you in. I laughed and I cried. Needless to say, I have a huge Brent crush… I couldn’t love him more if I wanted to. I pray for girls everywhere that there are a few of him out there in the real world for them to find.

All I can say is that when I finished this book, my heart was happy and light. I can’t wait to see what Ruby and Brent’s future holds for them. If you want a great YA read, this is your book.
Profile Image for Anne OK.
3,400 reviews437 followers
April 16, 2014

(I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

This book takes readers on a trip down memory lane back to high school for a walk through the hallowed halls where all those silly days filled with friendship, summer camps, team sports, dates, and unforgettable memories of first love surface immediately. This writer realistically creates a truly moving story full of agonizing heartbreak, while also rewarding readers with a passionate and refreshing story of the glories of youth and tender romance.

Having a father who is an addict makes life extremely difficult for Ruby “Tuesday” Miller, a lonely high school senior. She’s the responsible one who keeps the household intact. A straight-A student who is determined to attend college on a scholarship, Ruby lives for the day she turns eighteen and can leave the horrors of home behind. She’s kept the situation a secret from outsiders . . . until the unexpected happens. She grabs the attention of the school’s star soccer player, Brent Cromwell, and her life takes on a whole different light.

The proof is in the details – and this book is delightfully and wonderfully colored with them. Poignant, amazingly well-written, with honest emotion in each character’s dialogue, Ruby and Brent’s story will sneak upon you and you’ll never realize exactly how much it has touched you until the end – leaving you begging for more.

Readers will be very happy to know that the next installment, a short novella “Forgotten Yesterday” is just waiting to be downloaded. The next full novel in this series, “Deciding Tomorrow,” is schedule for release in the summer of 2014. Can’t wait!
Profile Image for Zakirrah BookBlogger.
293 reviews172 followers
October 11, 2013
3.5 Young, Brilliant,Sweet and Damn Cute,First Love Stars!!

First of all let me say that I don't read many YA Romance books anymore, I prefer New Adult so that's why I rated it 3.5 stars.This is a great book for YA Romance lovers and will be thoroughly enjoyed!

This is a story of first love, healing, forgiveness and new beginnings..

What do you do when things at home turn bad?
What do you do when you have so many responsibilities and nothing making sense anymore?

Ruby is a sweet, young girl who had to grow up really fast when things started to go downhill and her father became an addict she had to start looking after herself as well as her father. Her family life sucks but she cant let anyone know how bad it is, so she keeps to herself at school..nobody really knows Ruby, until Brent walks into her life..

Brent is a hot popular guy who takes interest in Ruby. He is sweet, caring and so damn romantic.But will Ruby open up to him? Will she share her family problems with him or will she shut him out?

“I don’t want anyone else. Not at all. Not since the moment I first saw you.”

It was so sweet and cute, it was like watching from a distance a love story enfolding in front of your eyes and with the characters you felt their every emotion..the butterflies, the heartache, the love, the sadness and the bliss..
Well done Renee Ericson!

"Releasing my hand, he places his fingers in my hair, his thumb caressing the sensitive area on my face between my cheek and ear. With his lips near mine, my breath quickens, and his audible gasp pulls air from my mouth."

After Tuesday is in Ruby's POV which helps you alot in understanding her family issues and what she is going through. I would have loved for there to be Brents POV as well so lets hope we get his side in the next books! Thankfully this book did not end at a cliffhanger..

I am looking forward to reading the next book Forgotten Yesterday! I wonder how it will continue and look forward to seeing Brent and Ruby's relationship grow.
Now with every good thing there usually is a bad, so what else could go wrong? hmmm..

"Brent squeezes my hand, making me snap my mouth shut. He comes around to stand in front of me to hold both of my hands.
“So,” he says with more light in his eyes than I’ve ever seen, “what do you think? Is this a good surprise?”

**ARC provided by author for an honest review**

Check out my blog for more reviews!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zakirr...

Profile Image for Elizabeth (Liz).
608 reviews393 followers
July 2, 2013
Renee Ericson surprised me in the best way with After Tuesday!! I LOVE this story and these characters, and I’m SO impressed with this author!

Sooo….yeah. I was crying when I finished this book. Granted, I’m an emotional person anyway, but this story just spoke to my heart in so many ways. After Tuesday dealt with such a difficult topic, alcohol and drug abuse in families, from the point of view of Ruby ‘Tuesday’ Miller—high school senior—and did it so well. Author Renee Ericson made certain their was a realism and authenticity to this story (without being overdramatized), and yet it still maintained a bit of that innocence of youth which was so charming about Ruby’s character despite her circumstances at home.

Ruby had been alone for so long, even living with her father and next door to her uncle. She was used to doing for and taking care of herself and her dad. Becoming involved with Brent Cromwell changed Ruby’s life in some ways, and it took time to adjust to that. She enjoyed the attention, but it was difficult for her to fully open her heart and emotions. The situation with her father wasn’t one she was comfortable telling anyone about, and it caused a bit of strife between she and Brent at one point. Frankly, I felt Brent was coming off just a bit too sheltered and innocent in that moment, but I suppose if one has never been exposed to similar issues, that might be the case. Overall, I absolutely loved the relationship building between Ruby and Brent!! I did NOT want to let these charming, sweet, lovable characters go when the story ended! I was THRILLED to find out that Ruby’s and Brent’s story will continue this Fall in the follow-up story Forgotten Yesterday.

After Tuesday is written with so much heart, so much love of the characters and the story. I could feel that as I read, and when that’s the case, it’s almost impossible for it not to impact the reader positively. When an author loves what she or he writes, it seeps into the story and into the reader, and, usually, hopefully, they get that love back tenfold. That is most definitely the case for me with After Tuesday!! No matter what genre you read or think you don’t read, give this story a try. I highly recommend it, and I can’t imagine that you would be disappointed!

4.5 Stars

**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

For more reviews, please visit Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews or visit us on Facebook.
Profile Image for Rosa Sharon (iScream Book Blog).
1,867 reviews294 followers
September 16, 2014
Holy buckets...
I was not expecting to be writing this review with tears running down my face. Honestly, it's kind of amazing that I read it at all. I'm a fan of New Adult and would not have chosen to read YA if not for the coincidence of winning an ARC of Forgotten Yesterday. When I discovered that it was a second book in a series of course I had to read the first book, After Tuesday.

Ruby's experiences were a little too close to reality for me. Having lived through many of the same experiences I can attest to how accurate her feelings and reactions were. When you are alone in a dysfunctional family environment you feel like you have to hold everything inside, that you can't trust anyone with the truth because they would never understand. You don't want people to ask questions you can't answer so you avoid them and isolate yourself. You live one day at a time, counting down until you are old enough to escape your circumstances and move toward a future free of your past. Some days you have to file under more than I can deal with. This is exactly how Ruby is living, closing her heart off, protecting herself from further pain and disappointment. Then she meets Brent, a universally agreed-upon hot person with kisses that could make water boil. Can she take a chance with her heart when his arms are her hearts home? Can she let him in? Can she trust him with her secret? Does their love have a chance when they are approaching graduation and the decisions regarding their future are before them? Can they overcome all the obstacles that seem to be keeping them apart? What comes after Tuesday?

"I want to be with you because when I'm with you, near you, around you, I'm better than any other version of me." ❤️
420 reviews1 follower
May 7, 2013
4.5 Stars

One of the best books I've read this year. Just a really sweet story that tackles some hard issues but handles them with grace. The characters were wonderfully written and had so much depth to them. Can not wait for Book 2 in this series. The sneak peak was not enough...need more!!!!
Profile Image for Brittany.
59 reviews13 followers
May 15, 2013
5 stars!!!!!
I absolutely LOVED this book!! What a beautiful YA novel!
Ruby is a 17 year old girl who has been forced to be her own rock in a life marked with her fathers addiction. Learning at an early age to fend for herself, she has done exactly that. She tries to stay strong and focus on school and just getting by until Brent Cromwell comes along and then all bets are off. Ruby doesn't expect Brent to try and break down her walls but it isn't easy keeping them up when a dreamy soccer player comes along with a perfect face and perfect body and an easy going way of making all the butterflies she keeps inside, dance around and escape...
I cant even begin to explain how amazing this book made me feel!! I felt like I was on the journey of falling in love in high school all over again. The butterflies, the first kisses, the swooning, the wondering. Such a wonderful story :)
 photo brentandrubyfirstkiss_zps9e8559d3.gif
What really hit me in this story was the fathers addiction and the impact it had on Ruby. I come from a similar home, so when an author so delicately yet accurately hits the nail on the head and describes the dynamics of an addict type home, I cant help but cry with joy and pain.
There are so many emotions that this book made me feel I cant quite encompass them all in this review. My only suggestion is to GO AND READ IT and see for yourself. What a beautiful debut novel from Miss Ericson. I am patiently (not really) waiting for more from her and cant wait to get my grubby little paws on as many books of hers that I can.
Bravo!!!
Profile Image for Erin.
937 reviews
May 8, 2013
*******3.5 stars********

I guess I don’t really know what love is or what it feels like. I thought love meant fighting for someone, no matter what. When will someone fight for me? ~ Ruby Loc 2206

This was a really sweet, tender, heartwarming story of young love. Ruby has had a rough life, having lost her mother at a young age and essentially losing her father to his alcoholism over the recent years. She'd been uprooted from her home in Colorado and brought to live a new life with an absentee father, but she did a surprisingly good job of dealing with her situation. A girl down on her luck like Ruby deserves a great guy by her side, and lucky for her the dreamboat (and newly single) Brent was very interested in filling that position!!

Never considering herself even in the same league as the seemingly perfect 'boy of everyone's dreams', Ruby was really kind of beside herself when she's the first girl Brent comes to after his big breakup. I liked her baffled and often self-effacing thoughts as she tried to wrap her mind around Brent's pursuing her, and as they spent more time together it was easy to feel them falling for each other. Ruby was strong, resilient, and inexperienced, but she didn't come across as some naive teen clueless to the world of boys and dating. She'd been around thanks to her messed-up family, so her relationship with Brent just fit into the rest of her life experiences. I loved seeing them slowly get past the teen jitters and just be themselves, especially Ruby since she was really learning as she went. It was a sweet romance, and they shared so many special moments together thanks to Brent just being adorably sexy and devoted to Ruby. I just loved him to pieces!! I could have used a little more fire between Ruby and Brent, but they did have some spicy moments between them that were memorable.

I was relieved to see that Renee Ericson created a storyline that was fairly realistic for the life of a family dealing with addiction. That's not to say I didn't want to strangle Ruby's father, or throttle her for continuing to put up with his selfishness without speaking up; but you see real struggles (thought sometimes dramatized) that alcoholics and their families go through represented, so it made Ruby's hardships more genuine.

This was an enjoyable read, and even though there were moments that I would have liked a bit more from the characters, I still loved them. This may not be a story that is entirely unique or impactful, but it’s a great light read with a sweet romance that aims to please!
Profile Image for Tee loves Kyle Jacobson.
2,471 reviews169 followers
July 30, 2013
First I have to say Renee sure knows how to write a love story. She did a great job writing a true realistic love story about two teenagers who are trying to figure out this love thing and where it came from and where it is going. It is also a story about addiction and what pain and loss will do to a person.

Ruby is not your ordinary teen living at home and loving school getting ready to do her senior year and go off to college and have a HEA. NO this is not that story. See Ruby lost her mother when she was young and her father slipped into himself and took up drinking to hide his pain and suffering of losing his wife. So Ruby moves around with her father finally landing in one place where she is getting settled in. She takes a job at a summer camp to get money for school and other things her father does not think about getting. Then her life changes after seeing Brent one day. Suddenly she sees Brent in a different way and Brent sees Ruby as someone special.

Brent is a rich kid but he is down to earth and does not flaunt his stuff nor is he a jackass like most rich boys. He sees Ruby at a party and they start to talk from there. Soon Brent finds he can't be without Ruby that he needs her and wants her in his life. Yes it is the summer but he knows that this is no summer romance for him and when he asks Ruby to be his girl she is scared because she has so much going on at home and she is not sure how he will take it once he finds out about her family life.

But Brent is determined to show Ruby she is worth so much and that no matter what happens he will be there for her. In the end is Brent still with Ruby? Or has he moved on? Does Ruby open up and let him in? This is such a heart gut wrenching story that had me in tears because I remember my first love and he was very special to me.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
2,048 reviews35 followers
October 2, 2013
Also posted to Jen in Bookland

This book was an odd read for me. I didn't ever believe that Brent actually liked Ruby. To me it read like the popular kids playing a mean joke on the unpopular kid. Like I kept waiting for Brent to be all gotcha! You didn't really think I liked you did you? I don't know why, but even at the end I was waiting for the break up (even if by that point it would have been a little late for it to be a joke). I kept waiting for her to meet someone else and it just never happens. I just didn't buy that they actually loved each other. I really don't know what it was, but when their relationship is a big part of the book it kind of makes the book not as good.

I also didn't really like the dad's issues. Well obviously you shouldn't like that the dad is an addict, but it seemed too easy. Like she kept her dad hidden from everyone, and she had to go pick him up from the bar sometimes and she would complain about what it used to be like (which we never really got to see...) but it still didn't seem that bad. Like the parts we saw of her life with her father sucked, but not as bad as I would have assumed living with a drunk and drug addict father would be. I felt like it was too tame to be realistic, but maybe I just think it would be worse than it actually is. I don't know since I have never been in that situation, but it just felt tame to me. So overall it was just an so so book for me.
Profile Image for Ali.
499 reviews
May 20, 2013
What I liked most about this book was there was no BS, or a fight over something so small, or a female main character who keeps downing herself or a stupid male who do stupid stuff. Dont get me wrong I love reading books like that but lately the books been way too much to a point where its like "okay really?" With that being said, this book dealt with issues that are all to common nowadays and I loved how the author portrayed that in the book so beautifully. I loved Brent for his unwavering dedication to Ruby and I loved Ruby for keeping her head held high. Can not wait until the next book!!
Profile Image for MissyGirl.
214 reviews55 followers
July 10, 2013
Sugary sweet high school story that will remind you how it felt to be in love for the first time! Tuesday doesn't have the easiest life but it suddenly becomes so much "more" when she meets and makes new friends, and even more so when she meets "him". :) I enjoyed re-living all those times through Ruby and recommend this to those who love young adult books!!

Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Maddy.
26 reviews
May 15, 2013
I love Brent and Ruby! Absolutely could not get enough of their book of first love!

This was an amazing story, it had realistic plot and characters. The way the author made the story come to life in my mind was brilliant, her easy yet descriptive writing style made me eager for more!

I cannot wait to read more from this author!
Profile Image for Susan.
30 reviews
April 15, 2013
LOVED IT!!! I can't wait for more books by this new author!
Profile Image for Chu.
1,459 reviews72 followers
July 31, 2013
some_text

Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

Ruby or Tuesday as her father would like to call her had been taking care of herself for a while. Her father was still busy with his own activities, and he was still grieving her mother who was long gone. Everything was bearable until they moved in with her Uncle Jas, after, it seems that her father was drowning more and more into his addiction.

She learned to be independent at an early age and kept everything to herself. Thus, she doesn't really have any friends at all. Then all of a sudden, there was Brent - the soccer player everyone was drooling for was giving her attention. She, Ruby, was happy, was loved and was definitely in heaven. Brent did what no other person did for her - he took care of Ruby. It was just easy to fall in love with him.

It's really scary to be happy sometimes, because somehow pain, frustrations will come rushing in when you least expect it. Everything that is happening to Ruby was almost too good to be true. One evening, just when everything seems perfect, something happened. And everything just crumbled down to pieces. She was left hurt, humiliated, heartbroken and utterly disappointed.

Ruby is a strong girl who have been through a lot. There are times I wanted to shake her for allowing the denial to seep in through her, until it consumed her. Maybe, if she just admitted earlier that her father has a problem - they wouldn't reach into that extent. On the other hand, she was a teenage girl who was given a whole lot of responsibility, one of which was to take care of her father. So perhaps denial was her mode of self-preservation. I couldn't really blame her.

Her father, despite the fact that he succumb to addiction never hurt anyone, at least physically. Grief makes people different, and some could not cope easily with it. Others took the easy way out. The only sad thing is that when Ruby's mother died, her father also went with her. Ruby was alone to fend for herself.

Lexi, her new-found friend from camp was totally amazing. She might be a little loud (something to complement her silence), but she didn't judge Ruby. Despite the truth that Ruby spilled all her secrets and was expected to be shun away, Lexi stayed and remained her friend.

There's Brent - the one with the cute dimples who was so sweet, caring and loving at the start. He has his weak moment, at that time I almost hated him. How can he do that to her at her lowest point? But I guess, he thought she lied and he was deceived. He had just came out of a relationship and was having trust issues. The incident made him step back for a while and contemplate. Nevertheless, he woke up, and made up for his ahem, 'weak moment'.

I like this novel not just because of Brent's dimple or those sweet stuffs they did by the lake but it shows that even the strongest person sometimes needed help. They need to open up or talk before they start to break down. They also need friends, and most especially they need someone to take care of them too. After Tuesday is a story about love, friendship, forgiveness and most of all, family. No matter what they did, how grave it is, family is still family.

Their story continues in Forgotten Yesterday.

*ARC Copy was given in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Dianne.
320 reviews155 followers
August 1, 2013
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Shane of Itching for Books Blog Tours and Renee for the review copy! Still, only honest opinions here!

Out of all the contemporary new adult romances I've read in the past, After Tuesday must be the lightest of them all. Don't get me wrong, it tackled alcohol and drug use, addiction, a little bit of death and family problems. I wouldn't say it was heavy because as much as it dealt with Ruby's kinda-an-absentee father with his drug and alcohol addiction, it was also centered on Ruby and Brent's burgeoning relationship.

Ruby and Brent's dance to romance was cute and sweet. Brent's the popular guy who's dated the prettiest and smartest girl in school for the longest time. Ruby transferred to their school when they were sophomores and remained invisible. Until the summer Brent broke it off with Frankie and he saw Ruby during the summer camp his brother attended. Brent can't believe he's been going to school with Ruby for years because it was honestly the first time he saw her. Of course, everyone has a crush on Brent, including Ruby though she never thought it possible for Brent to notice her. They start dating and they fall in love with each other, with of course some mishaps and obstacles along the way. Their relationship wasn't a complete insta-love but they did fell in love within the summer but who can blame them? They're teens and it's the summer. What I adore in this is that even though theirs was a summer romance, they stuck until the end.

Looking back, I think I would have liked After Tuesday even more if I knew that it's more of a slice-of-live novel. While the general conflict is Ruby's father's constant alcohol intake, I didn't feel like it was really a conflict. Sure, Ruby and her father's relationship is strained and they pretty much live separate lives but in my opinion, at least, her father doesn't hurt her and keeps to himself. So the conflict in this just sort of snowballed to the end and it did tug at my heart. I like how all of the characters grew, even the minor characters. In fact, I immensely enjoyed Ruby's cousin, Cody. While he's rugged and he shows his love and concern for Ruby in a totally macho way, I appreciate him so much. I think I've read too many broken people recently that I feel like there'll be an issue that will come up every step of the way. I kept expecting the worst from everyone but alas, whew, it wasn't like that. Refreshingly, what you expect is what you get from After Tuesday and though that makes it kind of predictable, it was still very much appreciated.

After Tuesday is the first book in the These Days series and the next book will delve into Ruby and Brent's college life. If given the chance to review the sequel, I'll grab the chance! I read the preview at the end of After Tuesday and Brent and Ruby did experience some rocky roads which I want to read about. Even though After Tuesday is sold as a new adult novel, I think it's more of a mature YA. Sure, there were some sexual situations and scenes but they were pretty tame compared to the usual NA fare. I do think the next book will have more graphic scenes since they're in college. I recommend After Tuesday to fans of sweet high school romances!
Profile Image for Amanda ♥.
37 reviews
December 8, 2013
Sometimes a book comes along that not only entertains you, but also touches you in a way that you'll never forget. This was "After Tuesday" for me.

I felt like I was 17 again, and it was so wonderful to regain that "First Love" feeling back again. Sometimes as we get older we forget that some of the simplest signs of affection really are the most important. Often the smallest gestures really mean the most. Well, Renee brings us all of that and more with Ruby and Brent.

Ruby is a beautiful 17 year old looking just to survive her last year of High School. She's a master of fading into the background, and with the deep family secrets she carries, it also means she's learned to rely only on herself. Until one Summer everything changes...

Brent is your typical High School All Star Athlete. He's what every guy in school wants to be, and who all the girls want to be with. But Brent only has eyes for one girl, and he will have to try harder than he ever thought possible to gain her trust.

Although this Book deals with fresh New Love, there are plenty of moments that will rip your heart open. Things are not always easy for these two, and they will have to learn how to trust one another, even though it may not always be easy to do.

I loved Ruby! She's strong and resilient, and let's face it, we could use a heck of a lot more Female leads like her. She handles all of what life throws at her, and comes out stronger because of it.

I loved Brent! He fit firmly at her side during this book and never took over her story. He's there for a purpose, and I'm glad he didn't outshine Ruby.

All of the other AMAZING characters supported her and I fell hard for each one. They each had their specific roles in helping her learn about life, family, love, and friendship.

There was never a question as a reader who this book was all about. I thank Renee for never losing sight of Ruby and her Journey.

"I want you to know that no matter what, every minute with you is something I will always remember."-After Tuesday

After Tuesday was my very first Beta-Read. To be honest I didn't even know what to expect when I first opened this book. As I began to read page after page, I respected Renee more and more as an Author. YA is such a hard genre to take over because lately more Authors forget it's about the beginning of love and life. Too many try to overtake the story and push it's boundaries in order to appeal to larger masses. They forget that every reader began somewhere first. A first kiss, first touch, first smile, first butterfly, and a first heartbreak.

I have read this book more times than I can even count and each time I fall in love with it more! Thank you Renee for Ruby's story, and thank you for sharing her with me. I can't wait for everyone to meet My Ruby Tuesday. xoxo

*Beta-Read for After Tuesday, but like all my other reviews, everything is based on my own true thoughts and feelings.*
Profile Image for DKristin.
492 reviews224 followers
July 20, 2014
This series has been on my tbr since it came out. I purchased this one and book two during a sale with the determination that I was going to start them soon... It took me having the pleasure to meet and facebook with the author for me to remember to start it ASAP! Then I started seeing teasers for the third book in this series and I knew then that I had to get on this.

photo 9e4c2971-95d8-41c4-aa6f-72a9e4e4cddc.jpg

We are introduced to Ruby, an active teenager who is happy to blend in to the background more often than not. She has in a way been conditioned to not trust others, to stay quiet & to herself, and to not let anyone know the shame that she experiences on a regular basis. At the beginning of the book her best friend is Dragon a dog that isn't really hers but doesn't know it.

Right before the last week of the summer camp that Ruby works at, she officially meets Brent. He may have not noticed her before but he sure does now that they have come face-to-face.

photo 8c452306-e100-4eb0-b9e7-d4dc148ad824.jpg

Ruby and Brent start to spend a great deal of time together. Ruby is coming out of her shell and even has a best friend in Lexi. But the secrets that she is hiding from everyone will quickly come to light in a way that she cannot control. There will be heart break, sadness, and pain and also a very beautiful love story. This book reminded me about how awesome YA can be. I cannot wait to read the next one.

photo 05ee114b-1e4a-4bb9-9bd5-48098770eaaf.jpg

photo 27bb9442-2472-49be-81ec-1dceea5a561a.jpg
Profile Image for Rachmi .
929 reviews77 followers
August 19, 2013

So, I liked the way this story written, it's simple and easily to understand. I don't have to read a couple times to understand what the characters' mean. However I have problems that made me didn't quite enjoy this story.

The perk of reading story from first person POV is sometimes I can feel and more understand the way the characters think and see their story. They have their own opinion about anything and it's solely based on their thought and eyes. No one can interfere. But in this book I’m not quite like the way Ruby described herself …my brown eyes hide the unrest I feel about coming home. My petite nose crinkles in disgust while my soft pink lips do some sort of Elvis-like snarl. I don't know about you but I don't think I ever described myself like that or as long as I remember I think I never read a character describe herself that way. It kind of bothered me.

I'm having a hard time to believe Ruby & Brent's love. First of all, their love is an insta-love then I didn't feel their connection. I needed a proof that they are really fall in love, aside of a couple dates with making out and keep saying I love you. I'm wondering what makes Ruby falling for Brent when she says she keeps stay away from anyone and anything to guard herself. Sure he's gorgeous and all but is there something else? She says Brent doesn't like anyone think and he's different but what does make he’s different from other boys? The same case is happen with Brent. He didn't even realize that Ruby go to the same school with him for two years then one day he saw she and then fallen for her immediately. Yes, he thinks she's beautiful but doesn't she have something else? Because if it's the only reason, I think he can't say that he's head over heal on her, it's more likely an infatuation in my opinion, which is more reasonable to me.

Ruby keeps saying that she’s a skeptical and need time to trust people. It makes me skeptical to Brent & her relationship. I keep wondering there's something bad will happen to their relationship. Add it with my point above. So instead of try to believe their love I'm waiting when the bad thing will happen. She also tells & narrate the story with her mind too many for my taste. I need more dialogue between the characters, aside a lot of monologue. And I didn't like the way she treat Lexi, her friend in most of the story.
Profile Image for Amanda.
75 reviews28 followers
June 22, 2013
*I was given a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

After Tuesday is a beautiful, coming of age novel that had me hooked from the beginning. The story is an emotional rollercoaster where one girl fights for her family, to protect herself, and for a relationship that teaches her that you can’t always fight by yourself. I could not put this down.

In this story we follow Ruby, the senior who is following the path that has been placed before her. She isn’t alone but chooses to be, because for her being alone is better then being around her father. Ruby has had to grow up fast, and at times become the parent to her father, after his nights drowning himself in alcohol at the bar. All Ruby is waiting for is to turn eighteen so she can get out and start somewhere new.

However, the summer before her senior year, Ruby meets Lexi. Through her new friend, she meets Brent, the popular boy from school. Brent takes a liking to Ruby and we see her struggle to allow him to get to know her. As the reader you can sympathize with her not wanting to get hurt. She slowly begins to let him in and tear down her insecurities but he can tell there is still something that she is holding back. As their relationship blossoms, Ruby realizes that she can either protect herself or give her all to him.

Ruby was not a character that you could hate simply because she was so relatable and likable. Today, there are so many teenagers that are dealing with addiction in their families that can learn from a strong character like Ruby. She held herself tall, and made mistakes that she learned from to become an even stronger person. Brent, was equally likable, he gave Ruby the right amount of support and love to help her grow.

Overall, the characters were fantastic and the development of the story was beautiful! Renee Ericson, you wrote such a beautiful story! I can’t wait to read what is in store for Ruby next!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 222 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.