Start by marking “Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

Published 2012 by University of Queensland Press

To ask other readers questions about Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

Start your review of Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pookie Aleera is Not My Boyfriend is a charming and delightful little book about a group of school-kids living in a small rural Australian town. It's written as a verse novel – each chapter is a short non-rhyming poem – but this isn't the boring, difficult poetry you have to study at school: it's honest, quirky, funny and sometimes heartfelt. The poems are written from many characters' points of view - the cool kid, the funny kid, the bullied kid, the teacher, the janitor and even the police off ...more
Alison
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted with this book - a great story in verse for both boys and girls. Funny, charming, clever and heartwarming. Year 5+
Katya
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pookie Aleera is not my boyfriend is a charming, funny and entertaining book, showing the life of 5 kids in a small town in Queensland, Australia. It is written in verse but does not rhyme.

Great book! I recommend it to 7+

:D
Mary
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Gaby
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grades-5-6
This was a great book. One that I think will appeal to any child as it is from the point of view of multiple students (and a groundskeeper). In a world of Dear Dumb Diary Let's Pretend This Never Happened and other tween novels that often show the unkind nature of young children and teachers Herrick's book is delightful. If you are reading/promoting novels on bullying to older primary students, then this is a great book to follow up. It is positive, but shows the kids having fun. They joke along ...more
Anthony Dalton
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Despite being a children's novel, I read for the 'children's literature' component of my university course, I really enjoyed this. Written in verse form from the perspective of half a dozen or so kids and a couple of adults, the alternating narrative allows for insight into life within the schoolyard and the fringes of society of a small rural Australian community. Often laugh out loud funny, interspersed with moments of poignancy, this novel possesses an understated depth that is so often lacki ...more
Adele Broadbent
I enjoyed the way this was written - in a poetry format. What I really liked was stepping into the head of all the different classmates (even the caretaker) and seeing their different view on things.

It always intrigues me how we have a perception of ourselves, often completely different from other's perceptions of us.
littleliterarybird
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. It really takes me back to being a child at school, I was smiling and 'aww-ing' all the way through. Children are such innocent creatures.
Bella
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this after enjoying the Constable Dawe poem in This is Home: Essential Australian Poems for Children , a collection of poems edited by Jackie French.

I loved it. Wanted more! I was reading as an eBook and suddenly I was at the recipes at the end. I thought I'd find out who (view spoiler)

The verse was so evocative of the people and
Adam Byatt
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written for the younger reader (I picked it up during a reading lesson at my school library - suitable for Year 7 or 8) Herrick's style is accessible, engaging and absorbing. He packs in so much to his verse novels in so few words. Each poem has its own personality, based on the person whose chapter it is (one of Herrick's tell tale structures to have multiple narrators) and it is easy to slip into the world space of the characters.
Class 6A starts the year with a new teacher, Ms Arthur, and the
Joanne Keevers
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend for a university subject.

When I began reading the book it seemed a bit disjointed as each section is written by a different child. After a few pages though I got into the swing of the story and really enjoyed the sense of humour and kindness shown by students in class 6A.
Sarah Fairbairn
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cute story with a beautiful message behind it. A joy to read.
Neil Crowle
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great verse novel about a group of kids in a rural primary school, the whole story told through the eyes of each child in the group. Very clever premise, aimed at young adolescents.
Anna Davidson
A gorgeous verse novel about a group of friends growing up in an Australian country town. It’s a beautiful, gentle story of friendship.
Abi
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This was really cute. A book about friendship, love, grief, and kindness. Also teaches kids about how to be safe living in Australia's environment, such as dealing with things like bush fires.
Archie Handler
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pookie Aleera is a truly incredible book, with funny moments, a well written story and a beautiful message. I loved it.
Sue
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This gentle verse novel from Steven Herrick is fantastic. I loved all the characters, especially Cameron and Mick, and most especially Laura and Mr Korsky. I laughed, I cried and I felt the life in all the students of 6A and those who surround them. Mick is a bit of a rough diamond - a rogue with a heart of gold. Mr Korsky could be the groundskeeper in so many schools - a guy who is proud of the job he does - making the school grounds look nice, but also a bloke who sees the best in all the kids ...more
Julie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this book when my daughter (12) announced that she wanted to read me a favourite bit from a book she had borrowed from the library. As she read it, she couldn't stop cracking up with laughter. Soon I was laughing too. That's the kind of book this is. Of course, I had to read it myself after that, and I wasn't disappointed. In addition to the funny bits, there are parts that are very poignant and moving. This short novel in verse is written from numerous points of view, includ ...more
Katie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I honestly did not expect to enjoy a verse novel that much, but Pookie Aleera is not my Boyfriend surprised and enchanted me. Before I knew it, I had been captivated by all of these voices and the town in which they live. The story itself may be quickly read but the emotions it invokes will last for much longer. ...more
Meg Denman
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A most enjoyable read. I admired Ms Arthur who says: "It's not pop stars or actors or supermodels or celebrities or millionaires or sports stars who are lucky and special ... It's someone who has a partner a friend a parent who loves them." As a teacher and parent that resonates very clearly with me. I am looking forward to reading other verse novels by Steven Herrick, 'Untangling Spaghetti' and 'Rhyming Boy.'
Ivan
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a very cute book about all the different stories from each student at a school across what I think is the course of a few weeks. The writing is interesting, the little snippets are almost poem like in the way they are laid out, and it is a sweet and amusing story. I picked this up because it was featured at our local library as a finalist in the awards this year, and because it had such a catchy title. My 9 year old son also enjoyed it.
Tanja
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A story about school, community, family and friendship that will make your heart melt, just like the chocolate of Laura's crisp and sweet chocolate cackles (recipe at the end of the book). Written in verse and told from the perspective of the various children and adults in the story, I could imagine this to be a really nice read-aloud to share and discuss as a class at the beginning of a school year.
Leanne
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Steven Herrick and verse novels - what is there not to like? Like Ms Arthur, the new teacher of 6A, I wanted to hang around a little longer with these kids. As always Herrick has captured these young voices in his succinct verses. I just wish I had a class to share this with as it calls to be read out loud!
haru
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Picked this book up a few years ago and finishing rereading it a couple of days ago. This book was amazing! One of the books that lead to the road to reading Young Adult novels! This short verse poem is an easy read and switches between character to another character's P.O.V. without making it confusing!
Sue Krust
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cbca-2013
This book took me by surprise. Initially I was confused by the array of different characters, but then I found myself laughing out loud. I read the first Constable Dawes chapter to Y5 & Y6, and our 4 copies of the book have been in high demand ever since. ...more
Michelle
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yup - liked this one. Cute style. Loved the descriptions of the Police Constable talking to the class. Nice message - how such a small thing (being a bit nicer) can make a huge difference to peoples lives.
Tina Jameson
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8+ readers
Lovely lyrical read. Read myself then handed straight to my 9 year old daughter. She loved the characters and their honest voices. Went straight to her school library and sought out more Steven Herrick verse novels.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Who would think that I'd fall in love with a verse novel? Certainly not me. But I did. It's amazing. I'll certainly be reading more from Steven Herrick.

Ren
This was very cute and charming but there were, like most verse books to be honest, a few places where the verse-ish writing style didn't entirely work or add anything. There were a lot of places where it was very effective, but other parts, not so much.
Momo
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short listed for the Younger Readers category of the CBCA awards I hope this book will win. It is funny and wise and real and all done in a brilliant verse novel.

• The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (The Tribe #1)
  • One Would Think the Deep
  • How to Bee
  • The Curse of the Chocolate Phoenix
  • The Minpins
  • There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom
  • Marshmallow Skye (The Chocolate Box Girls, #2)
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?