Start by marking “Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

Published 2012 by University of Queensland Press

To ask other readers questions about Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend

Alison
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted with this book - a great story in verse for both boys and girls. Funny, charming, clever and heartwarming. Year 5+
Katya
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pookie Aleera is not my boyfriend is a charming, funny and entertaining book, showing the life of 5 kids in a small town in Queensland, Australia. It is written in verse but does not rhyme.

Great book! I recommend it to 7+

:D
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pookie Aleera is Not My Boyfriend is a charming and delightful little book about a group of school-kids living in a small rural Australian town. It's written as a verse novel – each chapter is a short non-rhyming poem – but this isn't the boring, difficult poetry you have to study at school: it's honest, quirky, funny and sometimes heartfelt. The poems are written from many characters' points of view - the cool kid, the funny kid, the bullied kid, the teacher, the janitor and even the police off ...more
Gaby
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grades-5-6
This was a great book. One that I think will appeal to any child as it is from the point of view of multiple students (and a groundskeeper). In a world of Dear Dumb Diary Let's Pretend This Never Happened and other tween novels that often show the unkind nature of young children and teachers Herrick's book is delightful. If you are reading/promoting novels on bullying to older primary students, then this is a great book to follow up. It is positive, but shows the kids having fun. They joke along ...more
Anthony Dalton
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Despite being a children's novel, I read for the 'children's literature' component of my university course, I really enjoyed this. Written in verse form from the perspective of half a dozen or so kids and a couple of adults, the alternating narrative allows for insight into life within the schoolyard and the fringes of society of a small rural Australian community. Often laugh out loud funny, interspersed with moments of poignancy, this novel possesses an understated depth that is so often lacki ...more
Holly Stanton-gillan
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very beautiful verse novel that uses simple language features to address the complexities of being in Year Six. It touches on elements of kindness, friendship, families, grief, joy and growing up! A worthwhile read for a teacher, a relevant read for a child and an enjoyable read for everybody. You will not put it down! Read it in about 3 hours. Beautifully naïve and simplistic but perfectly relevant and true.
EllanReads
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. It really takes me back to being a child at school, I was smiling and 'aww-ing' all the way through. Children are such innocent creatures.
Sarah Fairbairn
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cute story with a beautiful message behind it. A joy to read.
Mary
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Sue
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This gentle verse novel from Steven Herrick is fantastic. I loved all the characters, especially Cameron and Mick, and most especially Laura and Mr Korsky. I laughed, I cried and I felt the life in all the students of 6A and those who surround them. Mick is a bit of a rough diamond - a rogue with a heart of gold. Mr Korsky could be the groundskeeper in so many schools - a guy who is proud of the job he does - making the school grounds look nice, but also a bloke who sees the best in all the kids ...more
Julie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this book when my daughter (12) announced that she wanted to read me a favourite bit from a book she had borrowed from the library. As she read it, she couldn't stop cracking up with laughter. Soon I was laughing too. That's the kind of book this is. Of course, I had to read it myself after that, and I wasn't disappointed. In addition to the funny bits, there are parts that are very poignant and moving. This short novel in verse is written from numerous points of view, includ ...more
Meg Denman
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A most enjoyable read. I admired Ms Arthur who says: "It's not pop stars or actors or supermodels or celebrities or millionaires or sports stars who are lucky and special ... It's someone who has a partner a friend a parent who loves them." As a teacher and parent that resonates very clearly with me. I am looking forward to reading other verse novels by Steven Herrick, 'Untangling Spaghetti' and 'Rhyming Boy.'
Ivan
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a very cute book about all the different stories from each student at a school across what I think is the course of a few weeks. The writing is interesting, the little snippets are almost poem like in the way they are laid out, and it is a sweet and amusing story. I picked this up because it was featured at our local library as a finalist in the awards this year, and because it had such a catchy title. My 9 year old son also enjoyed it.
Katie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I honestly did not expect to enjoy a verse novel that much, but Pookie Aleera is not my Boyfriend surprised and enchanted me. Before I knew it, I had been captivated by all of these voices and the town in which they live. The story itself may be quickly read but the emotions it invokes will last for much longer.
Tanja
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A story about school, community, family and friendship that will make your heart melt, just like the chocolate of Laura's crisp and sweet chocolate cackles (recipe at the end of the book). Written in verse and told from the perspective of the various children and adults in the story, I could imagine this to be a really nice read-aloud to share and discuss as a class at the beginning of a school year.
Adele Broadbent
I enjoyed the way this was written - in a poetry format. What I really liked was stepping into the head of all the different classmates (even the caretaker) and seeing their different view on things.

It always intrigues me how we have a perception of ourselves, often completely different from other's perceptions of us.
haru
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Picked this book up a few years ago and finishing rereading it a couple of days ago. This book was amazing! One of the books that lead to the road to reading Young Adult novels! This short verse poem is an easy read and switches between character to another character's P.O.V. without making it confusing!
Leanne
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Steven Herrick and verse novels - what is there not to like? Like Ms Arthur, the new teacher of 6A, I wanted to hang around a little longer with these kids. As always Herrick has captured these young voices in his succinct verses. I just wish I had a class to share this with as it calls to be read out loud!
Tina Jameson
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8+ readers
Lovely lyrical read. Read myself then handed straight to my 9 year old daughter. She loved the characters and their honest voices. Went straight to her school library and sought out more Steven Herrick verse novels.
Michelle
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yup - liked this one. Cute style. Loved the descriptions of the Police Constable talking to the class. Nice message - how such a small thing (being a bit nicer) can make a huge difference to peoples lives.
Sue Krust
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cbca-2013
This book took me by surprise. Initially I was confused by the array of different characters, but then I found myself laughing out loud. I read the first Constable Dawes chapter to Y5 & Y6, and our 4 copies of the book have been in high demand ever since.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Who would think that I'd fall in love with a verse novel? Certainly not me. But I did. It's amazing. I'll certainly be reading more from Steven Herrick.

Ren
This was very cute and charming but there were, like most verse books to be honest, a few places where the verse-ish writing style didn't entirely work or add anything. There were a lot of places where it was very effective, but other parts, not so much.
Jax
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: primary-teaching
This was a great book that could be utilised in the classroom to discuss the development of the multiple points of view, as well as for analysing poetry.
Heather
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read it in one sitting. Charming and touching and worth a read, even if it is aimed at children. Got a tad teary towards the end.
Michael
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf1, kids-books
read it twice
Kate Sheales
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this Australian story. An excellent way to talk about paying it forward.
Gina
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brilliant- loved it
Feistykel
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this to My Grade five class. We loved it. Constable dawe was a particular favorite!
Mia Parkes
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very funny. Definitely recommend
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Other Brother
  • The Shiny Guys
  • The Ink Bridge
  • Pennies for Hitler (Hitler Trilogy, #2)
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • Herman and Rosie
  • The Children of the King
  • The Last King of Angkor Wat
  • The Worst Princess
  • The River Charm
  • Peggy
  • Escape From Wolfhaven Castle (The Impossible Quest #1)
  • The Curious Dictionary (Word Hunters #1)
  • Ice Breaker (The Hidden, #1)
  • A Bus Called Heaven