Start by marking “Burning It Down (CalPac Crew, #3)” as Want to Read:
Burning It Down (CalPac Crew, #3)

Burning It Down

(CalPac Crew #3)

When newly promoted fire battalion chief Owen Douglas skips out on physical therapy after an on-the-job injury, his one-time hookup, Brad Sundstrom, bullies him into joining the adaptive rowing program at the Capital City Rowing Club. There, Owen meets Adam Lennox, a veterinarian and former rower who also works as a volunteer. Adam is new in town and eager to make friends, ...more
Published December 7th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Burning It Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning It Down

Td
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I cruised along beautifully through the first half while slowly getting to know Adam and Owen as well as revisiting Nick and Morgan and Brad and Drew from the first two books in the series only to crash and burn in the second half.

Once Adam and Owen got together at about 50% or so, they became "boyfriends" and we were not allowed to forget.

(view spoiler)
Icedave
Rating:
4.0 stars.

Genre:
Contemporary m-m romance with domestic violence theme (relationship between one MC and his ex-boyfriend).

Content Advisor:
* domestic violence (DV)

Infos
main characters:
Adam, starting a new life with a new identity after escaping from his abusing partner.

Owen, batallion chief of fire department, meets Adam at the Adaptive Rowing program, which is part of his (private) physical therapy program.

secondary characters:
Morgan and Nick, couple of the first book in the series. Nick
Gigi
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-firefighters
I had mighty high hopes for this book because it had many plot points that hold high interest for me: Hot firefighter MC, hurt/comfort after a car accident, hot veterinarian MC, partner abuse for more hurt/comfort, dogs and kitties, lots of sweaty, athletic men, etc... And I did like this the book. 4 stars worth! But something I can't quite identify kept me from giving it that fifth star.

This is the third book in the CalPac Crew series, and while you don't absolutely have to have a working kn
Chris Jeffreys
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read the first two books in this series, and i was looking forward to this one. The characters in the first two books were well developed and written in such a way that I cared what happened to them. I thought this new book would continue the character development from the first two books, but I was mistaken.
In this sequel, the main characters from the first two books are merely in the background. The two main characters are Owen and Adam -- a fireman and a vet. Like the other books in this "
Maggie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Rating 2.5

I really enjoyed seeing characters from previous books in this series (especially Brad). I had high hopes for this book because of Owen (say hot firefighter and I am so there!) and while I did enjoy learning more about Owen, I never really felt his relationship with Adam. Add that to the crazy events that happen later in the book, the totally wrong decisions made by Adam, not to mention a broken Owen; and I just didn't enjoy this book like I hoped I would.
Anke
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars
What to say? In the beginning it was again a story with A LOT of rowing. The relationship between Owen and Adam proceeded nicely, overall I had the feeling of unbalance. Stuff I thought more important was mentioned in passing, Adam's decision to move back to Jordan was difficult to follow for me. Yes, all the storylines were solved, so no open questions in the end. That's about it.
Pati
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, romance
I'm sorry to say that I must rate this one a 2.5 stars. I've really enjoyed this series but sadly this book just had too many non-realistic things in it. I don't want to give any spoilers so I will only say that the author should have researched forensics just a little bit... ~sigh~

.... Though despite this I am looking forward to more books in this series.
Popcorn
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to this book and I loved the first half. Owen and Adam getting to know each other and building the relationship was lovely to read although I could have done without the consent use of the word 'boyfriend', which according to my Kindle was used 130 times! The second half made very little sense to me I could not get my head around the decisions that Adam made.
Alina
Dec 21, 2012 added it
I'm mostly agreeng with the other readers.

I really liked the first half of the book: I loved both Owen and Adam, their stories were great and sad and I'd hoped they'd be a good match together - both being 'damaged goods' and having some strong issues to overcome. I was also happy to see Nick and Morgan as well as Brad and Drew - I loved the first two CalPac books :)

By the time Owen and Adam became a couple things started being too sugary sweet for my liking. Don't get me wrong - I love fluff, bu
Ery
Nov 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Sorry- waaay too OTT for me.
DL
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
When a cat is the star of the book, you know you have problems. I can't imagine that anyone would look at a Lilac Point Siamese and say, "Hey, a Purple cat!" but what do I know?
I was bored with this book long before the nut case made his appearance. Then, I was just annoyed. I shouldn't judge Adam by what my responses to a dead rat would be but I can't understand how anyone could be so horny that he'd overlook something like that right after being told that the cops had lost touch with a psycho
Michael
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chris Koehler has done it again. His latest, Burning It Down, is I think his best book to date (and I liked the others quite a bit already). The love that grows before our eyes between Adam and Owen is so vivid. Both men bring to the table backgrounds that have left them broken in one way or another, one physically and one emotionally. But with the help and love of the other they overcome those challenges and discover happiness like they've never known before. Unfortunately, though, Adam's ex-sp ...more
Shannon
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a solid 4 star read until the ex showed up in the picture again. What took place after that had me asking myself "What in the fuckity fuck was that?!?" Nothing made sense. It was extremely frustrating and seemed to be used just to make our couple have the standard painful breakup before everything works out. I kind of lost faith in them as "boyfriends" after that. And I put quotes around boyfriend because, seriously, I think if you took all of the words boyfriend out of this book it wou ...more
Rachel Emily
I'm conflicted over how to rate this exactly...I loved the first 60% or so. Great build up, I loved getting to see Morgan and Nick and especially Brad again, and I liked reading about the beginning of Owen and Adam's relationship. But the last third of the book just seems to have wildly veered off course and is way over the top and just...so not like the first half. I went with 3 stars only due to the strength of the first half. Others are right about the over usage of the word "boyfriend" and a ...more
Becky Condit
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is a good HEA. I always like a wedding or engagement to top off a gay romance novel. Once we get past the sacrificial part of the story and back to the romance the book got back on track. There is still a bit of danger lurking about, one character is going to change his life and another gets redemption.
The characters are wonderful. Mr. Koehler has mad character development skills. The suspense makes the book a page turner. And don’t skip over the super sweet dedication. All in all a good
Katy Beth Mckee
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, m-m, series-books
So Much Pain

It was almost painful as the reader to see how much pain these two men endure both physically and emotionally. To see them work so hard to rebuild their lives over and over again was very touching.
Kobie
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
ugh. at 64% and I can't finish. love the characters, Owen and Adam, but if they call each other "boyfriend" again, I will puke. it really pulls you out of the story. as does Adam's decision to do nothing about something obviously ominous. DNF at 65%.
May
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
I really like this author's voice and humour. This was another fine chapter in the series and I'm looking forward to the next one due later this year?
Shahreen
Jun 03, 2014
Frank D. Adams
Nov 11, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Burning It Down by Christopher Koehler 1 14 Dec 07, 2012 08:31AM

CalPac Crew (4 books)
  • Rocking the Boat (CalPac Crew, #1)
  • Tipping the Balance (CalPac Crew, #2)
  • Settling the Score (CalPac Crew, #4)