Start by marking “More Than This (The O'Learys, #1)” as Want to Read:
More Than This (The O'Learys, #1)

More Than This

(The O'Learys #1)

When a lonely teacher teams up with a handsome bartender for some outrageous acts, they both get more than they bargained for…

Learning her ex-husband is going to be a father, Quinn Adams is determined to have a baby of her own—without the partnership of a man. But her sister and friends believe she needs to focus on herself first, and step out of her comfort zone by comple
Published January 3rd 2013 by eKensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about More Than This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than This

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 stars

I don’t know what it says about me that I really seem to enjoy books that revolve around pubs and bars, but for some reason I do. Maybe it was watching Cheers for so many years and thinking it would be cool to be a part of a place like that or maybe because there have been so many fabulous books written about pubs and bars and their always hunky, smoldering hot owners. Whatever the case, I once again find myself caught up in another gr
Jonetta
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The set up
Quinn Adams thought she needed to shake things up in her life. She's the one always taking the practical path and is in sort of a rut with her career and love life but doesn't know how to alter her course. Ryan O'Leary would love a shot at being the romance in her life but she sees him as being cut from the same mold as her ex...a bartender who can't resist the flavor of the night, even though he's so much more than that.

The issues
Quinn's polar-opposite, outgoing sister Indy and frien
Michelle [Helen Geek]
01/11/2013 -- DNF for me. Made a pact with myself NOT to waste time on a book you KNOW will not get better. Too many books and too little time. Sorry, just too simple. Same story, told multiple times, so if you are going to tell it again ... knock it out the park. Unfortunately, just did not happen.

My one update said this book reminded me of a late 80's mediocre serial romance. I haven't changed my mind.

ARC provided by Kensington via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Ann Lorz
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: https://romancingthereaders.blogspot....

I can't believe I finally got around to reading the first book in the O'Leary's series. This is a series I really loved but I unfortunately started it with the third book, Something to Prove. That book was enough to hook me into this series.

I kept meaning to go back and read the first two books in the series but new books kept coming and I found myself farther away from the beginning of this series. When it came up
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
4.5 Stars

To steal a line from the book, “If I had to sum it up, all I can say is Hoo-doggie.” Talk about a book drawing you in. I loved More Than This from the very beginning.

More Than This is the story of Quinn Adams, a too perfect, always walking on the safe side, high school English teacher. She’s beautiful but doesn’t know it. She’s a person who doesn’t like the spotlight.

Ryan O’Leary is just great. He’s the second oldest of six children. I KNOW, perfect for a series!!!! Ryan is the kind of
Alyson LaBarge
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Contemporary Romance Lovers

I love a good Contemporary Romance. I do. I also have a soft spot in my heart for women who want to have babies and it doesn't just 'happen' and sexy, good looking men with dark hair and killer smiles. More Than This contains all of the above and then some. ;)

The Good: Having never read Shannyn's works before, I really had no predetermined opinions on what to expect from her book. What I found was a well written book about interesting and likeable characters who were part of a somewhat unique an
Jody
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
From the moment I started reading this book I found myself becoming fully immersed in the back-and-forth relationship between Quinn and Ryan. There was much to like about them as well as the friends and family surrounding them and I was sad when this heartwarmingly sexy story came to its abrupt conclusion.

Quinn is a character I could easily relate to. She's quiet and reliable but after her divorce realizes that life is passing her by and that she'll soon end up alone. Her friends see this too an
Beth
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Take 1 lonely, divorcee, school teacher and add 1 very sexy, over worked, bar owner and you’ve got an amazing story about finding love where you least expect it.

Quinn Adams life needs some changes, taking advice from her sister and best friends, Quinn makes a list of outrageous acts to get her out of her funk. Posing nude, 5 dates in two weeks, riding a motorcycle, adventures Quinn would never attempt without this push. Now with the list in hand there are some disastrous attempts by Quinn to fu
Katie_la_geek
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, ebook-arc
From the first page of this contemporary romance I knew that this book just wasn’t for me and to be honest it was a bit of a struggle to get through. I found the pace too slow which lead to me being bored. Also the storyline and the characters were not developed enough for me to connect to it.

What didn’t help was the main character Quinn who I didn’t really like at all. I found her annoying, she was just so serious and planed everything out to the point of obsession. She also over reacted and as
Isha Coleman
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Than This (The O'Learys, #1) by Shannyn Schroeder

Love shows up when they weren't even looking. Quinn is used to being in the shadows. With a sister who knows how to get noticed, Quinn tends to place herself permanently in the background. No one seems to notice until bartender Ryan takes a second look. Can he bring her out of her shell and lay claim to her heart? More Than This is a sweet tale of how life can bring the best surprises at the most inconvenient of times. Simply irresistible.
Shirley Frances
4.25

I really enjoyed this book! This is one 'friends-to-lovers' story that I will keep on my re-read shelf.

Quinn and Ryan have known each other since Quinn started going to Ryan's bar with her co-workers. Quinn's experience with bartenders is not great, so she keeps Ryan at arms-length even when she finds him attractive. They have enjoyed a sort of friendship over time, but it isn't until Quinn needs help with her list that they develop a true friendship. Ryan wants more with Quinn but he goes a
Daisy Sloan

Quinn has a plan….for everything. She’s organized, detailed, and follows the rules. At 31, she’s realized this has gotten her nowhere, at least nowhere she wants to be. Her sister and best friend plan to change that for her. They give her a list of 8 things she has to do before the end of the summer.

Ryan owns the bar Quinn hangs out at with her co-workers, sister and best friend. Ryan decides he wants Quinn and sets out to win her over. He’s fighting an uphill battle. Quinn’s ex-husband was a b
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
by Kim
www.readyourwrites.blogspot.com

To steal a line from the book, “If I had to sum it up, all I can say is Hoo-doggie.” Talk about a book drawing you in. I loved MORE THAN THIS from the very beginning.

MORE THAN THIS is the story of Quinn Adams, a too perfect, always walking on the safe side, high school English teacher. She’s beautiful but doesn’t know it. She’s a person who doesn’t like the spotlight.

Ryan O’Leary is just great. He’s the second oldest
Kate Meader
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute, enjoyable friends-to-lovers story with very likeable, relatable characters. I loved how grounded and real both Quinn and Ryan were (though it took me a while to get situated on Quinn's name which I kept thinking was the name of the hero during the early pages). If you're a fan of the slow build romance, this is the book for you. Reminded me of Shannon Stacey in parts - the family dynamics, the sense of setting, and especially the fact that there was no jerk or too-stupid-to- ...more
Kathy
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of friends to lovers novels will want to add debut author Shannyn Schroeder’s More Than This to their must have list. An absolutely fun yet sexy read, I loved watching this mismatched pair find their way to happily ever after. To read my review in its entirety, please click HERE.
Nancy
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I loved this friend to lovers story and how it all came to be! You can't help but love and feel for the characters, their families and friends. I found this on netgalley and was so glad I was able to read it. I was even more excited to find out there is a second book to follow soon. Can't wait!
Nikki
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next one in the series to come out... Any idea as to when that will be?
Becky
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 11/19/18.

More Than This is a cute, relatable friends-to-lovers story. I really liked both Quinn and Ryan, and found their sexual tension to be delicious and believable. The secondary relationships were a lot of fun too--Quinn's with her sister and their BFF and Ryan's with his big family (most of whom are subjects of other books in the series, yay!) Plus, friends-to-lovers is one of my catnip reads, so... :)

I especially appreciated that Ryan and Quinn's "b
Amanda (Hootie) Clark
Imagine for a second if Friends Ross & Rachel weren't a TV show but an actual book. From all the "We were on a break!'s to the "I got off the plane!"'s and you'd come pretty close to this first installment of the O'learys series.

Ryan and Quinn had a really epic romance that was engaging and fun, sexy and sweet and a little maddening all rolled into one book. Their chemistry was off the charts as they tried to convince themselves they were just friends. The author had my heart wanting to burs
Catherine
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
The only thing I love about this book is the fact Quinn doesn't give in easily to Ryan's "charms". I mean, he is persistent, I'll give him that. But this went on throughout the whole book, and it just got to a point where I wanted her to be with someone else.

Personally, there were a few things that I thought were out of line:
Quinn wanted a baby, so she was thinking of a sperm donor. But the way her sister and Ryan were condoning it, was insulting. Not only to Quinn, but to every woman (single o
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say that I loved loved this story. This is one of those stories that is a friends to lovers romance story that will blow you away. You have Quinn and Ryan and they are EXCEPTIONAL characters.

Quinn oh my Quinn she is such a sweetheart. She is so nice and has a career as an english teacher and she loves her job. Then she gets some disturbing news that her ex-husband is having a baby and she is determined to have one to. She is going to go out and look for a good man to have his chi
Renee Entress
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 star

The story has laughs, secrets, and heartbreak.

This is Quinn and Ryan’s story. After learning her ex-husband is having a baby Quinn is determined to have a child of her own. She does not need a man to support her in her decision. Her friends and family want her to live a little first by doing a few challenges before she tries with a baby. She does try but the dates she goes on are a complete and utter disaster. She is about to give up when Ryan offers to help her out. Ryan wants Quinn in h
Stephanie Bolen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending needed work

The characters were fleshed out. The sister's romance is one I have no interest in reading. There were some good couple moments in the book. But the ending was rushed the singles event was unnecessary. I know Joe is being set up for a later plot point but I wasn't impressed with the suspense element that he will be a part of, anyway. There I kept it vague but seriously if you don't get his role as an antagonist in some upcoming story, then sms. So let's get rid of Joe, and
Cynthia
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stepping Out of

Her comfort zone. Quinn is tired of figuring out the dated world. She and her co workers go to O'Learys on Friday. She decided to a meet her sister Indy and friend Kate there. Ryan is the owner/bartender and thinks she is pretty. He sees her come in every week. Her sister tells she should do a list she should do before her birthday. He wants to help. Little do they both know.
Melinda
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shannyn Schroeder has a series that is bad for the heart yet delicious in the most sexiest sinful way. Ryan is one bad boy no sane woman can ignore and boy does Quinn have a hard job right now. The attraction between them is hot and funny at times they seem perfect for each other. Cannot wait to see what she does with the next O'Leary.

"I received an eBook copy from the publisher for the purpose of an honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own."
Dan
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just say it

Talk about self confidence or lack of thereof, "More than This" is an exciting romance novel. Both Ryan and Quinn are attracted to each other but leery of relationships. Quinn is on a quest to conquer her shy behaviour and Ryan offers to help. Ms. Schroeder wrote a fast moving and well balanced story with believable characters and enough surprise to hold a reader's interest throughout.
Pamela
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quinn is a school teacher leading a boring life. When she finds out her ex-husband is to be a father, she decides that she wants a baby of her own. Her friends think she needs to date and find the right one before having a child. Ryan is a bar owner and is attracted to Quinn from the start. This friends to lovers romance is slow burn but a decent read.
Janet Russell
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old fashioned romance

Fraught with emotional baggage on both sides insecurities and misunderstandings but in the end honesty wins out and a friends only well quasi friends only relationship turns to marriage
Susan Foster
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a ride!

I so enjoyed Quinn and Ryan’s friendly struggle towards romance! Up again, down again, and all around the mulberry bush and no sign of progress anywhere...or so you might think!
Patty
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

It’s funny how sometimes what we are looking for the hardest is right in front of our eyes. This story had romance,frustration, confusion, denial and finally, the gold at the end of the rainbow.
  • Just for the Summer (Lake Bliss, #1)
  • A Shot of Sultry (Sultry Springs, #2)
  • A Wedding in Valentine (Valentine Valley, #2.5)
  • A Fine Romance (Aisle Bound, #2)
  • Along Came Trouble (Camelot, #2)
  • Too Sexy for His  Stetson
  • The Downfall of a Good Girl (LaBlanc Sisters, #1)
  • Heating Up the Kitchen: Recipes with Love from Lucky Harbor (Lucky Harbor #2.4)
  • The Best of Me (Return to Briarwood, #2)
  • Destination Wedding
  • Unbuttoned (Silver Creek, #0.5)
  • How to Get Over Your Ex (Valentine's Day Survival Guide duet)
  • Any Given Christmas (Sugar Shack, #2)
  • Unleashed (UN-Forgettable, #3)
  • Seven-Night Stand
  • His Majesty's Child
  • The Love Shack (Beach House No. 9, #3)
  • What Not To Expect When You're Expecting

The O'Learys (6 books)
  • A Good Time (The O'Learys, #2)
  • Something to Prove (The O'Learys, #3)
  • Catch Your Breath (The O'Learys, #4)
  • Just A Taste (The O'Learys, #5)
  • Hold Me Close (The O'Learys, #6)