Start by marking “Krishna: A Journey Within” as Want to Read:
Krishna: A Journey Within

Krishna: A Journey Within

A searing, human portrayal of Krishna, the god of all gods awaits you in A JOURNEY WITHIN. Journey along through his pastimes that have swayed the ages. The final confrontation between the fire of man's consuming greed to conquer all, and the supreme power of the Divine Spirit.
Published December 5th 2012 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Krishna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krishna

Start your review of Krishna: A Journey Within
Riku Sayuj
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-r-rs
Brilliant artwork, simplicity throughout. A delight to read. Some pages soar to artistic expression that thrills while others seem like a kid playing with his favorite hero models. The text feels almost like an afterthought and I feel that I might just have enjoyed the book more if it was a set of silent stills and graphics with all meaning to be derived from your past readings while the imagery is being supplied by the author/artist.

Hardly anything is given any space in the book and it barely
Jules Wolfers
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this graphic novel "Krishna: A Journey Within" by Abhishek Singh really blew my mind.... the writing, the graceful flow of the story, the art- I'm still processing it...

I hadn't seen this style of art used in graphic novels; the artist certainly had the spiritual understanding to translate the energy into the papers.
Maura
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The artwork is fabulous (tho the binding did fall in an awkward place on a few places). The pacing of the storyline is ... odd? slow? not what i was expecting? It's a mix of adventure story and meditation, and i'm not 100% sure it works. Also, for a person not familiar with Krishna, it's a bit annoying having to rely on the footnotes/definitions -- i wished the illustrations/text would have made things clear without needing to flip to the back of the book.
Parka
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics

(More pictures on my blog)

Abhishek Singh's KRISHNA: A Journey Within is a spiritual tale told with artistry. It's visually captivating and I found myself engrossed in reading from beginning to end. I expected stories about deities to be more complicated but the storytelling here flows well, the writing is crisp, and there's a sense of magic attached to the world.

It's refreshing to see such a stylistic approach to Hindu mythology. The art is wonderful. I see a strong animation style, with the
Krishna
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has a certain obvious appeal to me in particular, but I doubt anyone would argue that it isn't interesting and beautifully illustrated. The first person POV adds interest to an old story. Any one who is or was an Indian kid is going to be making the comparison to the much beloved Amar Chitra Katha comics that tell these and other stories. The art here is very different in style, I found myself eager to turn the page when I knew the iconic scenes approached. I wasn't disappointed.
Om Varma
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Colorful and Soulful
Arun Divakar
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
In a story full of passions brimming over the rim, there was this one character who preached and practiced dispassion. Amidst a maelstrom of love, hatred and bloodshed he moved with a cold and calculative precision to restore what was dharma. For his seemingly ethereal way of life, this character was given the guise of a god as the ages went by. His sharp mind metamorphosed into a cosmic intelligence and his compassion for all living beings became a sort of divine love. Krishna has had many a ...more
শুভঙ্কর শুভ
its not only a GN but an experience for me.marvelous art with mindblowing colour.the art was so realistic and the plot was also good,accurate as the myth.
Lisa Ann
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Spirituality Minded Readers, Graphic Novel Enthusiasts
Recommended to Lisa Ann by: Goodreads, First Reads
Krishna: A Journey Within is without a doubt one of the most stunning graphic novels I have ever read. Each page is edge to edge with full-color images so lovely and fantastic that you feel almost as if you are being drawn into the tale of Krishna.

You do not have subscribe to the Hindu religion to thoroughly enjoy the tale of Krishna, who according to Hinduism is the eighth avatar of the Supreme G-d Vishnu. This is a story about a boy with a destiny that cannot be denied. Told from a very unique
Jeevan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read
Tanuj Solanki
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Why Krishna?

And if Krishna, why any words at all?

Why a jarring contrast in image maturity, even in successive panels?
Laveena Behl
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It doesn't matter if you already know the tale, infact, it is even better you know Krishna's tale because seeing what you have absorbed and imagined in your mind illustrated so beautifully in front of you is an absolute bliss. This work should be savoured for its breathtaking art and visuals infused with all the possible shades available on a colour palette.
Lindsay
I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about Hinduism, but reading gorgeous comics such as these makes me hungry to learn more. I loved the dreamlike quality of the narration, drifting between linear plotted scenes and more abstract discussions of life. I feel like I mostly know Hinduism through its sagas, but not necessarily its philosophies per se, and Krishna definitely gave me more of an idea of its moral framework, beautifully conveyed through Singh's lush artwork. There is so much going ...more
Arathi Paluri
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I would like to emphasize that this is more suitable to readers who already know Krishna (via books or Indian movies where they depict his pastimes along with Mahabharata) or likes him. The author here, assumes that audience are aware about Krishna's way of life and familiar with Mahabharata. I was curious about the title phrase saying 'A Journey Within' as conveying such message in manga/comic is hard! The graphics were really good. He (author) hit the spot in portraying emotions and the ...more
Steven
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this graphic novel thanks to the giveaway program of Goodreads.com.

When I first opened this book, the vivid colors and great details made a powerful impression on me.
While I was never too familiar with the historical backgrounds of Krishna or any things related, this graphic novel served to draw my interest in not just this particular story the book focused on. I truly did not think my interest could be piqued in such a delightful manner.

However, as great as the artwork and intent of
Teresa
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
First and foremost, the art in this graphic novel is phenomenal. Printed in the U. S. by Image Comics, this follows the mythology of the Hindi god, Krishna, seen as a major deity and by some the supreme deity over others. There is a detailed glossary in the back of the book that highlights some traditional Hindi names and the names of other deities and places that someone unfamiliar with the culture would not recognize. This was helpful and unique. There are many stories involving Krishna's tie ...more
Andy
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Andy by: goodreads
Shelves: feel-good-books
The first thing that struck me about this book was the artwork. The colors are very soft and appealing it has very meditative and almost dreamlike quality that make me think it is best enjoyed when you have a lot of time on your hands. I thought the storyline was fairly easy to follow and the characters had depth. I love reading about different mythologies and Hindu mythology was not one I was very familiar with, so this was a very enjoyable way for me to learn about it. The glossary in the back ...more
Nidhi Mahajan
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-books
I have never read a graphic novel before. Somehow, this book is the first one that I've read. And I am extremely happy about that. To say that this book is BRILLIANT is an understatement.

Indian mythology draws me in ever since I read Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's The Palace of Illusions. Krishna is one character that attracts me and intrigues me at the same time. This book is a graphic exploration of Krishna's life from his birth to his "end". But Krishna never dies. He lives as long as there is
Michelle Willms
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful in all areas. I was amazed by the detail the author put into the work. This is one of those books that is to be cherished and passed on from one generation to the next. The story closely followed the original, and the artwork was simply stunning. I read the book over and over and spent hours staring at the pictures. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to know more about Hinduism, or who want a work of art and beauty in their lives. I received this book through ...more
Riju Ganguly
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story of Krishna has been told countless times, with every author & artist rendering the tale his/her own vision & interpretation. This beautiful book, with its highly stylised, and yet extremely powerful and attractive visuals, allow the author to tell that story once again, but this time in a voice that resonates with our modern existence. It tells about events, emotions and ambitions that continue to shape our destiny. Most importantly, it asks us to face the real sources of evil ...more
Jesse
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: illistrated
A beautifully illustrated story of Krishna, the Hindu tale of the incarnation of Vishnu.

Gorgeous illustrations. Simple and stylistic writing.

This isn't going to give a reader a lot of insight to the Hindu culture, but the book is so beautifully done I think it could speak to the reader in a way that Krishna would want to be heard. I think this is going to be a book I read over and over again.
Nick Sweet
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is quite possibly one of my all time favorites. A graphic novel that tells the story of the Hindu hero Krishna, the book is not just confined to one visual style. Each of the episodes of Krishna's life is told in vivid detail, but each episode is visually different. But the book as a whole is a joy to behold. Filled with lush characters, illustrations, and a poignant tale that will appeal to people of all ages and faiths, this book is one I treasure and encourage anyone to read.
Aaron
Beautiful book. There's a very personal touch to this book and it shows. The art is whimsical but not beyond conveying the remarkable. Krishna: A Journey Within is also a reminder, for those who study such things, that the gods and beings of some religions are indeed more human that those of others.
Abhinav
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading Ramayan 3392 AD, Abhishek Singh's current collection of artwork is amazing. The depictions of Dashavatar and panoramic views of landscapes are fantastic. I devoured the Spanish edition of this work, however I could still understand the whole scenario as the facial expressions truly convey the emotions of each character.
David
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The artwork is beautiful and the text, though simple, sometimes soars to poetry. My only complaint is that if the reader isn't already familiar with the legend of Krishna, some of the episodes will be confusing. But that is a minor quibble - Abhishek's artwork is stunning.
Eli Poteet
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have literally never seen a graphic novel illustrated and designed like this one. I am only slightly familiar with krishnas mythology so I felt like I was on a wild trip of epic proportions. definitely going to be a piece of art I return to for reflection and further absorption.
Julie Luther
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
An incredibly moving and breathtakingly illustrated story about Krishna. Very inspirational with deep, important lessons on war, hope, and love. I borrowed my copy from the library, but I think this is a graphic novel that needs to be in my own personal collection. Worth rereading.
Parvathi
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not a detailed account of Krishna's life but a depiction of important episodes in his life. The artwork is stunning and the dialogues are well-written and have a philosophical mood, musing on the meaning of life and the purpose of Man.
Marti
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The art is stunning, I felt like I was looking at storyboards for a movie. Great introduction to Hindu lore.
M
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: india, graphic-novel
Wow. This graphic novel captures so much of the beauty and poignancy and spirituality of the story of Krishna. Love.
Krishna Janmashtami Images 1 2 Aug 14, 2016 01:41AM
Send Propitious Rakhi 1 2 Jan 15, 2016 02:18AM

• The Addams Family: An Evilution
  • The Voyeurs
  • Dare to Disappoint: Growing Up in Turkey
  • Manga Classics: The Scarlet Letter
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Manga Classics: Great Expectations
  • El faro
  • Sette giorni in Grecia
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer