Start by marking “Kalona's Fall (House of Night Novellas, #4)” as Want to Read:
Kalona's Fall (House of Night Novellas, #4)

Kalona's Fall

(House of Night Novellas #4)

In KALONA'S FALL, the shadows in Kalonas past will finally come to light We will learn about the winged immortal's secret history and discover how he went from being the Goddess's Warrior and Guardian to her enemy and betrayer. Did Darkness taint Kalona as it did Neferet, or has the powerful immortal always preferred power over honor, and control over faith? This novella w ...more
Published July 29th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Kalona's Fall, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Martha The main character does the right thing when?
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,421 books — 15,699 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,154 voters

More lists with this book...

Sophia Triad
Poor Kalona....you never stood a chance.
You never really had a choice.

Kalona had been another villain in the series House of Night. Towards the end, his actions were forgiven and he embraced good instead of evil.

This novella tells the story of his creation and the reasons of his fall:
Basically too much love and too much jealousy with a few sprinkles of manipulation by the evil while bull.
Arpi !!!getting high on books!!!
KALONA...Hmmmm..*sigh*
What do i say about this guy... ummm...fallen angel...who stole my heart from the beginning...

HE IS DARK...HE IS CRUEL... HE IS EVERYTHING BAD...THEN YOU SEE A SIDE OF HIM THAT'S TORTURED AND IN LOVE WITH THAT ONE WOMAN(UMMM...GODDESS!!!) HE CAN NEVER HAVE...

BAAAMMMM!!! GONER!!!

I WAS A GONER RIGHT FROM THEN...

AND HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO RECOVER...(SWOONWORTHY...DROOLWORTHY....HMMMMM *SIGH*SIGH*)

I FELL IN LOVE WITH KALONA WITH EACH AND EVERY WORD THAT I READ ABOUT HIM...

EXCITE
Carolina Carriço
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Edit #2

I really liked this novella. I always loved Kalona and Nyx, and this book only reminded me why, and also made me understand Erebus and taught me to love him as well.

I loved seeing everything created, vampyres and domestic cats, I also loved seeing the twins go through the tests Earth Mother gave them. And what I didn't like in a good way was seeing Kalona's downfall, where he succumbed to his anger and jealousy, till Nyx had to kick him out.

Edit #1

Just look at those wings *-* so bea
Shirley Cuypers
Poor Kalona. I feel sorry for him even though it's kinda his fault. But I get his jealousy and I secretly hope that Kalona will be Nyx's warrior again (I haven't finished the HoN series, so I don't know).
Jodie
Nov 24, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013
Can't wait to read this, I'm enjoying the novellas more than the main series.
Shaheen
Jul 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I haven't read the House of Night series. I've never been inclined to pick it up, but I was sent this novella for review, and I thought it would be the perfect way for me to see if this world and its characters are something I'd be interested reading about. I want to make this clear: I went into this novella wanting to love it.

P.C Cast and Kristin Cast have been writing full length novels since 2007 (I did a Goodreads search), so there is really no excuse for how poorly written this
Kiya Lewis
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Simply put this book was an emotional roller coaster. It's told from both Kalona's and Nyx's point of views, along with that of a few others. It manages to explain so much and so little all at once. You get a general synopsis of the inner workings of Kalona's mind but not enough to really understand his fall. It all kind of seems silly and meaningless in the end. Why not tell the last chapter from his point of view seeing as it is his story. Instead of guiding the reader through Kalona's despair ...more
Christy Johnson
Book #11.5 A mildly interesting back story. AS the case with the other novella's with HON I figured this would be important to the final book. It may be.

However I felt that lots of this book was filled with fluff. The basic idea was great, but the execution of the idea was a bit thin. It was interesting to see the creation of Kalona and Erebus and their relationship with Nyx. I liked them both pretty well, but I think for me the biggest disappointment of the story was Nyx herself. She had no de
Julia
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are many reasons I wanted to strangle Kalona throughout the series. Then I realized I actually liked him and started rooting for him. This novella dug a little deeper into the past of Kalona and boy was I surprised. His relationship with Nyx and Erebus was not what I expected but turned out to be so much more!

Kalona & Erebus were created for Nyx by Mother Earth using the elements needed to bring them both to life. Challenged with 3 tasks to prove their worth to Goddess Nyx both Kalona
Ari ☾
2 Stars

(BTW I am trash for this series, so take it from someone who likes this series (one of the few) that this novella was def the worst, but it had a couple good qualities.)

I mean I knew Kalona was a whiny bitch, blinded by his bitchiness the whole series.
This just takes it to a new level. The whole novella was him puffing his chest at Erebus. Which let's be honest, he did that the whole main series too.

Spoiler for the main series here (too lazy to tag) - I thought his death was super rede
hayden
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Mythology has always been interesting to me, ever since I was a kid. Learning about Greek mythology was one of my favorite middle-school topics.

So it's no surprise that I enjoyed this book -- it's very mythology-driven, incorporating Kalona and his story into this almost fable-like novella by the Cast duo (although I'm not very sure how much Kristin is actually doing anymore; her name has gone missing from the acknowledgments). It's very different from the other novellas, which were almost chara
Farheen
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Seeing as the novellas are much, much better than the main series,this is something I actually look forward to.

Edit: update review

Meh, it was okay. Honestly, this could've been a lot better. I wanted more in-depth details regarding the characters and their stories. But then again, this is the HoN series we're talking about, lol.
Yasmin ✨
Well that was disappointing. It wasn't exactly bad, but just so uninteresting and unspecial. I can't believe Kalona's past was really that boring, and this novella also just proves how dumb that goddess of theirs is. This was also written pretty badly.
Emily Ross
I find myself quite disappointed by this novella because it feels quite childish, and I don’t like how it’s written. That being said, it was nice to see new aspects of Nyx, Erebus and Kalona, and I really liked learning how the Vampyres were created.
Renee
1.5

I have been reading the HoN novels since they first came out. They get a lot of flack and grief from my fellow bloggers, but they are a guilty pleasure of mine, I quite enjoy them. I have read the first three several times. Though I must admit that the last novel was a disappointment and I have not yet purchased Redeemed because Zoey being arrested left a sour taste in my mouth.

I have also really liked the little novella's showing insight into the grown ups. However, this novel was horrible.T
Connie
Source: I read this book online.
Cost: Free

Title: Kalona's Fall
Series: House of Night Novellas #4
Authors: PC and Kristen Cast
Overall Rating: 3 stars

The more of this series I finish and move away from, the better my life becomes. It's a weight to finally finish these novellas, although they haven't been as bad as I initially thought. I enjoyed most of them a lot more than I enjoyed the actual series.

Part of me was kind of excited going into this book, I love the whole backstory behind
Tracy
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved getting Kalona's history, his creation, then his fall. I have a feeling this is going to be very important background info for the last installment to the series.
Kayla
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many feels. This was everything I was hoping for and then some!
May 舞
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: House of Night fans only.
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

A somewhat enjoyable novella that provides some interesting back story into how vampires came to be.
Kalona’s Fall is the final House of Night novella and tells the story of Kalona, who is a fallen immortal tempted by darkness (basically an angel but he is never referred to in this way) that aids Neferet the main antagonist in the House of Night series in her quest to rule over others and gain power.

The writing in this novella is bad –
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
I think the easiest way to sum up this short story is to re-write it in a way that makes sense (for House of Night anyway). So I’m reading Mother Earth as a troll who absolutely loathes Nyx while Nyx is that House Guest who won’t take a fucking hint (she taught Nyx everything, clearly). I can now follow the plot which now seems a lot more coherent. So:

Mother Earth: Ah Earth, so peaceful and special, just me and my children…

Nyx: Helooooooooooooo

Mother Earth:… you’re still here? All the other immo
Andrea
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This Dude Has Anger/Jealousy Issues
Kalona’s Fall
Rating: 4/5

Summary: This story explores the mythology of the House of Night world. It tells us how the Otherworld and Earth came to be. When Nyx befriends Mother Earth, she confesses about her loneliness and how all the other Gods & Goddesses have left. Mother Earth gives Nyx a present in the form of Erebus, son of the sun, and Kalona, son of the moon. Erebus is destined to be Nyx’s playmate and friend while Kalona will be her warrior and lover
Chioma
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I love the insight. into Kalona's feelings. turns out he was a sort of a jealous being from the start. but I totally cracked up when he had to do the first task for Nyx with air. I laughed because I thought of the women who came to him. I was like oh no! he's going to make raven-mockers and then be like "here Nyx for you I have made this" then give him the half-raven half-human rephaim and then nyx would give him the stank-face. I totally understood Kalona when erebus had ...more
Jamie
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Reading this book was an obvious choice for me, because I have been following along with this book series for a few years now. Each of the individual novella’s have helped me to understand some of the supporting characters a bit more. The idea of getting to know the story behind Kalona and his decent from grace had me very excited.

In comparison to the other books and novella’s in this series, I actually found this one to be slow and kind of dull. I felt like this particular book was a bit of a d
Miss Susan
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
dang the patriarchy is strong in this book

like objectively speaking this entire volume is a description of how kalona is trash? and always has been? but the writing of this (and the series overall) indicates we're meant to feel sorry for kalona and root for his redemption even though the entire 'conflict' of this novel is him being a jealous twit. but it's because of his ~love~! thinking someone is hella hot and wanting to posess them exclusively from the moment you first see them is what love i
Karen
Not bad, but I get the feeling this was rushed out to "fill a gap" before the last book in the series. I would have liked more details about the deal the Kalona seemed to do with Darkness, as it was mentioned that he met with the White Bull, and didn't seem to agree to allow it into the Otherworld. Then, further on, Kalona is battling Darkness on a daily basis. Maybe I missed the deal, but that's just how it seemed to me. Shame really, as this had the potential to fill in an awful lot of gaps in ...more
Michelle
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: house-of-night
Kalona's past has always intrigued me, being one of my favorite characters. Learning the birth,creation and his downfall, has brought happiness and sadness to my heart all at the same time. Erebus shows way more of himself in this book as we'll teaching us a great deal about him as well. Once again P. C. Cast has created a wonderful book, I do enjoy learning where each characters have come from and the trials the had to endure making them who they are today.
Joke
Best book of the whole serie.

I have always enjoyed reading the books in this series. They do exactly what a book needs to do: Let you forget the reality.
Kalona's fall did more. It almost made me cry. I didn't expect this because I had low expectations. Neferet's curse was the first novella I read and wasn't That good. But this one..
the story of Kalona is very touching. We finally get to know the full reason why he is a fallen angel.
P.C and Kristin Cast did a great Job here.
Darrell
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Darrell by: Shirley Dufault
Shelves: house-of-night
Well I am done with this book. As much as I would love to have this background in one of the books. It was a very good insight in how Kalona Fell. Just like in Neferet's Curse was really good to. The first to book were good. The other I did not want to put the book down. Now on to book 12 Redeemed in the (HON ) series.

• House of Night #4 (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #4)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 8
  • Daylighters (The Morganville Vampires, #15)
  • Ekata: Fall of Darkness
  • Amber Smoke (The Escaped #1)
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 4: Mr. Misery
  • The Tarot Cafe, #6
  • Thirst No. 5: The Sacred Veil (Thirst, #5)
  • Eternal Flame (The Immortals, #0.5)
  • Immortal Hearts (Vampire Kisses, #9)
  • Vampires of Manhattan (The New Blue Bloods Coven, #1)
  • Other Worlds
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more

House of Night Novellas (4 books)
  • Dragon's Oath (House of Night Novellas, #1)
  • Lenobia's Vow (House of Night Novellas, #2)
  • Neferet's Curse (House of Night Novellas, #3)