Start by marking “Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery

Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery #1)

2.97  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Featured in The New York Times Magazine!
Winner of the PWA Best First Private Eye Novel Competition

At first, Rachel Vasquez found her new job working for private detective Clayton Guthrie promising. He got her a gun and a license and took her to target practice. But lately she's just been doing surveillance, and it's not her idea of an exciting time. She is contemplating qu
Published May 14th 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Cuts Through Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuts Through Bone

Dianne
Clayton Guthrie is a middle-aged, life-hardened detective, street-wise and well-known for both his gift for getting to the truth and his soft heart. His sidekick is the young, tough and beautiful Rachel Vasquez. As Guthrie’s protégé, Vasquez learns quick, becomes bored fast, and has to learn the idea of having patienc
Jacqui
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
If you are tired of the typical thrillers from the usual voices, read Alaric Hunt's debut novel, "Cuts Through Bone" ( Minotaur Books 2013). Aside from the fact that the story deals with detectives, murdered innocents, and the good guys are flawed, there's nothing usual about this book.

The story deals with a gritty older detective who's breaking in a raw new female partner. As luck would have it, a serial murder falls in their laps so her learning curve accelerates and we get to see the many tri
Julie G
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Rachel Vasquez does not want to go to college. So, when Clayton Guthrie offers her a well-paying job as a PI, she jumps at the chance. As the story opens, this may not have been such a great idea, after all.

Other than getting a gun and lots of time at the range, Rachel is bored out of her mind. On the day she's decided to quit, they finally get a case that gets her out of the office and, quickly, in over her head.

Clayton Guthrie is a little man, a fact that is pointed out ad nauseum, who runs th
Kathy Martin
Alaric Hunt channels Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler in this mystery that is reminiscent of the hard-boiled detective stories of the 1930s and 40s. However, Hunt does bring the mystery up to the present by adding computers, cell phones and a young female Puerto Rican assistant to our hard-boiled detective.

Raquel Vasquez is new to the detective business. All she has done so far is learn to shoot and learn to observe. Surveillance isn't holding her attention though. When her boss Clayton Gut
Nancy
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Rather Slow PI Novel

Greg Olsen, an Iraqi veteran, is accused of killing his girl friend, Camille Bowman. Michelle Tompkins, a friend of both Olsen and Bowman doesn't believe he's guilty and hires Clayton Guthrie and his female Puerto Rican assistant, Rachel Vasquez, to investigate the crime.

Much of the action in the book involves surveillance and educating Rachael in the need for patience and close observation. A potential witness, Ghost Eddie, is found, but disappears. As we follow Guthrie a
Darcia Helle
I've long been a fan of PI novels and, since this book won the PWA Best First Private Eye Novel Competition, I expected to love it. I didn't.

First, there is absolutely no character development. We follow the PI and his very young sidekick through the story, but I wasn't able to ever really connect with either character. I wanted to know more about who they were and what drove their behavior.

Second, all the characters had the same speaking style. This is partly a reflection of the lack of charac
Marcia
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads. It is one of the best written suspense novels I have read in years. The main character Clayton Guthrie is a little like Harry Bosch. He is a small man, but extremely capable. The title is explained just before the end. The setting descriptions are extremely well done. The author does not rely solely on sight, but also describes the sounds and smells, which is a technique not used much today, although Sue Grafton adds it to her novels. The action strings out a bit ...more
Naomi Blackburn
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/14BYNUX

My rating: 3 Stars on Amazon/Goodreads. Realistically, more like 2.5 stars

My opinion: I could BARELY warm up to this book. This was a very short book that should have realistically taken me less than a day to read, but it ended up taking me several days to read it. I agree with other reviewers who have stated they felt they were reading a Phillip Marlow story because of the language choices that the author used, as well as the fact that it was very heavi
Claire G
Jan 11, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Now I am not usually one for mysteries, though I am beginning to branch out a little with reading, but let's call this morbid curiosity.

I'm curious about the book. So, the book and his actual crime are in no way connected, but it still makes a girl a little more curious that a synopsis usually would.
Chandler
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I must say, Cuts Through Bone by debut author Alaric Hunt surprised me with its intensity and magnetic pull from start to finish! I’m ready to re-join the PI mystery groupies again! I've mainly been reading romance genre with a little suspense in them but I think it might be time to mix it up a bit!
Maggie
May 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
For a mystery, it was just too slow for me. I find myself consistently pulling away from the plot. Maybe it's just because mystery is just not my genre? Thank you to Alaric Hunt and Goodreads for the book!
Jan
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was surprisingly suspenseful but I agree with many reviewers that the plot could have been expanded and the characters developed more fully. Also found it troubling that the author is a man who's spent decades in prison and has decades more to go on his sentence.
Christa
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-arc
This was a pretty good PI novel whose main characters were an older private investigator who was teaching the business to a young woman. Clayton and Rachel were both interesting characters, and I enjoyed the storyline. I wouldn't mind seeing this turn into a series.
Angela Risner
Jul 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried, I really did. But this novel just couldn't hold my interest. The writing style felt off and it was difficult to keep track of the characters. My mom read it and said it was hard to get through the entire book.

Skip it.
Jaye
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this one four stars, but I have mixed feelings about the book. I was attracted to this book by a story I read in The New York Times Magazine last year.

I hope Mr. Hunt is permitted to write more of these.
Judy
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book difficult to understand, due, I believe to the multitude of characters and the lingo of the characters, street people,Hispanics and military. But I am not sorry that I stuck it out.
Sarah Haines
Author a convicted killer. Interesting. Exploding to read this!
Kelly
May 02, 2013 marked it as um-yeah  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Won Cuts Through Bone from Goodreads First Reads. Did not get the book yet, but when I do, I will get to reading it soon. (:
Ellen
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was slow to start but once it got going the characters were interesting and the plot was developed well.
Rick Hollis
Interesting mystery, funny in a way, without being a comedy.
Marya
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
liked the parts, not the whole
Annie Seaman
Good story but the dialogue got a bit clunky at times.
KathyK
ich kann das einfach nicht weiter lesen...dieser schreibstil macht mich wahnsinnig.
Kalen
Jan 15, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I want to read this one but I'm not in the mood for it right now. I only managed 30 pages in 3 days.
Helen
Krissy
rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2014
Martin
rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2013
Connie
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Blood Orange
  • The Death and Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Jubilee Plot (Sherlock Holmes & Young Winston #2)
  • Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5)
  • Next of Sin
  • The Detective's Muse: A Niall O'Huiginn Mystery
  • Touching Evil (Leila Marx, #1)
  • Sunset (John Bekker, #1)
  • In the Company of Wolves
  • Sandstorm
  • Detroit Shuffle
  • Personal Demons (The Jake Helman Files, #1)
  • Catspaw II (Blackheart, #2)
  • This is Rage: A Novel of Silicon Valley and Other Madness
  • Bloodstain (Jason Strong, Detective #2)
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • Mightier than the Sword (The Henry Bride Thrillers, #1)
  • The Last Witness
Alaric Hunt is a convicted murderer and arsonist. He plead guilty in 1988 after a student in Clemson, SC died from smoke inhalation after his brother started a fire to distract police from their robbery of a jewelry store.

Hunt's first novel, Cuts Through Bone, won the Best First Private Eye Novel Competition by The Private Eye Writers of America along with a $10,000 prize.

Hunt is serving a life s
More about Alaric Hunt...

Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery (2 books)
  • Godless Country: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #2)