Start by marking “Man Drought” as Want to Read:
Man Drought

Man Drought

Imogen Bates moved to the small rural town of Gibson’s Find to start a new life for herself after the death of her husband. Tired of being haunted by the painful memories of her old life, Imogen set her last remaining hopes on the little town and, in particular, pouring her heart and savings into restoring The Majestic Hotel to its former glory. But while the female-starve ...more
Paperback, First, 365 pages
Published January 1st 2013 by Harlequin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Man Drought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Drought

Brenda
4.5s

Imogen Bates needed a fresh start after her husband had died. Her life in Perth was busy, she had a lot of friends including best friends Jenna and Amy, but she wasn’t happy. Her love of all things rural sent her searching the small country towns east of Perth and when she found Gibson’s Find and saw the beautiful, rustic old Majestic Hotel was for sale, she knew it was a sign. Within a month it was hers – Imogen knew she had challenges ahead, but she also knew she was up for them.

Charlie w
Sally906
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Opening line: ‘…”Are you absolutely Insane?”…’

I first discovered author Rachael Johns last year when I read the first book in her Bunyip Bay series – Outback Dreams. Now she has finished the third one and the next one is not immediately imminent I thought I’d look up some of her earlier books. MAN DROUGHT is the first one I could get my hands on. I was immediately struck by Johns’ recreation of a typical small country town in the Western Australian outback. The isolation, the close knit communit
Jenny Schwartz
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty self-indulgent with my reviews. I comment on what interests me about a book, rather than thinking that someone might actually read my reviews! You don't, do you? :)

All of which is my excuse for going off on a bit of a tangent.

Since chick lit burst onto the scene and then kind of faded but never went away, I've been wondering about its fate and I've decided that contemporary romance picked it up and yummed up the fun parts. Most especially, the celebration of girlfriends.

"Man Drought"
Mary
Imogen started life in country WA but had to move back to Perth for high school. The only good things about the city were her two best friends, Amy and Jenna, and Jaime, The One and her husband. After Jaime is killed during his work as a firefighter, Imogen believes that love, marriage and children are no longer for her.

On a trip through outback WA she stops in a small town pub and falls in love with it. Ready for a change of direction to help her get past her grief, she immediately buys the pub
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE.

I’m going to have to admit something: when this ‘Rural Lit’ craze took off, I wasn’t so sure about it.

This stemmed mainly from the fact I figured there were only so many times a person could read about daughter who wants to be a sheep farmer but her father won’t let her. Where was the fun in that – over and over? I just didn’t get it.

Fast forward a few years, and the genre has expanded so much it now seems like there’re endless possibilities for stories.

Rachael Johns’ Man
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

As I enjoyed Jilted, Rachael John's debut contemporary rural romance novel published in 2012, I have been eagerly awaiting her next release and I am pleased to report that I found Man Drought a charming and delightful read.

After her husband's death, Imogen Bates decides to escape the city and begin a new life in the small Western Australian country town of Gibson's Find, becoming the sole owner of The Majestic Hotel. The town is happy to welcome Imogen who is content to pour her heart and soul i
Jess
A couple of years after the death of her husband, Imogen Bates recognises she is stuck in a rut and needs a change. What better way to escape the oppressive city filled with memories of her late Husband then to move to the country and buy an old run down pub? With her friends believing she’s lost the plot, Imogen sets out on her new adventure knowing full well that it won’t be a walk in the park, but insistent that she can handle it. What she hasn’t bargained for however was the male dominated t ...more
Christi Snow
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
My Review:

If you're a romantic at heart, (let's face it...you're reading the romance genre... the chances are pretty good that you're a romantic at heart) then you will love the theme of this book. Imogen always believed that everyone has The One out there for them. For her, she found that person in Jamie. They had a perfect love, but it was cut way too short when he tragically died doing his job as a firefighter. He was her One and she's accepted that the rest of her life will be spent alone.

A
Moon Love
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Imogen Bates has left Perth and its city limits for rural Gibson's Find hoping for a new start after losing her husband. She buys a local pub The Majestic Hotel and is set on restoring it to its former glory. She finds that the town has very few females and one male citizen in particular, Gibson Black is not very happy to have her there. He's happy with out the hot publican he can't stop thinking about. While Imogen isn't looking for anything at all, her mind won't stop wandering to think about ...more
Tamara
Ms Johns, you've done it again!
Asking me to pick a favourite one of your books, is like asking me to pick my favourite child.

Man Drought had everything I was looking for - it had some romance, some tension (ok, a whole lot of sexual tension!) and some honest, loveable characters I really cared about.

Jenn J McLeod
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Racheal Johns continues to delight with her sassy gals and sexy guys. But there is a lot more substance to this book, which is llabelled rural romance. I am getting used to the authors knack of hooking me with something clever from the get-go. She so knows about small town life and her writing is natural and easy t read. I love her books.
Kym Wojtasik
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!!!
Naomi
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Could not put it down
Jessica
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!!! Loved it!!!
Cookie1
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book of Rachael John's that I read. It was truly fantastic. It introduced me to her writing and now I never miss a book of hers.
Fai Moloney
This was such a good book it was so rural with twists and turns loved it
Shelley
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it :)
Bree T
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Imogen is looking for a fresh start. She lost her husband and a chance passing of The Majestic Hotel in rural town Gibson’s Find has given her an idea. She uses her husband’s life insurance money to purchase the pub, filled with ideas about how to restore it to its former glory. Her friends are a little wary of her moving away to somewhere so remote, where she doesn’t know anyone but Imogen knows this can work.

Gibson Black has lived in Gibson’s Find all his life and knows he’ll never leave. The
Sunshinejode73gmail.Com
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book a beautiful story with lovable characters
Lauren K
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The second rural romance novel by Australian author Rachael Johns, Man Drought is a tender story about a widow and a divorcee afraid of opening their hearts to love, again.

Set in the small, rural town of Gibson’s Find, Imogen Bates relocates to the male dominated community to run the local pub and start afresh. It’s been two and a half years since the love of her life-her husband- died in an accident. She’s convinced he was the one and she has no intention of becoming involved with anyone else,
Monique Mulligan
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rachael’s name started popping up last year in the Australian book blogging community with lots of positive reviews about her novel, Jilted. Too busy reading other books, I simply added the book to my mental to-be-read list and picked up another book from my towering pile. When I saw the anticipation leading up to the release of Man Drought, I knew it was time to check out Rachael’s books myself. I’m glad I did; Man Drought made me smile, laugh and sigh (sometimes all at once).

Man Drought is set
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
West Australian author Rachael Johns clearly had fun writing her second book, Man Drought. I also had fun sharing the journey of the lively cast of characters that inhabit the tiny fictional town of Gibson’s Find, a few hundred kilometres from Perth, Western Australia. Man Drought is a perfect light hearted read that will definitely bring a smile to your dial. It is the story of Imogen Bates, a young woman who lost the love of her life, Jamie, a Fire fighter, tragically and unexpectedly. Believi ...more
Jaylee Neal
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took me a little bit to get back into reading this after a slump and let me say, Gibson is one hell of a Man and Imogen you can't help but love her. Rachael johns does not dissapoint!
Sheree
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
My first time reading this Australian author but it won't be my last, Man Drought was a really delightful read.

Rachael Johns has created characters to adore, not just human ones either, I fell in love with the old Majestic Hotel, the local watering hole in the town of Gibson Find, and mentally cheered as it was brought back to life. Imogen was easy to love, vulnerable in her grief but resolutely seeking happiness and a new sense of purpose as owner and publican of the pub.

Gibson Black was easy
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
GOODREADS GIVEAWAY BOOK

After excitedly winning Man Drought in the giveaway comp I couldn't wait to dive into Gibson's Find and all that it offered and I wasn't disappointed.

From the dusty roads to the open fields this is a love story that captured my heart and left me wanting more.

I felt myself understanding so much of these characters, from Amy & Ryan's IVF attempts (personal experience) to Imogen's feelings on
holding baby Gibson and her tears at learning of her normally single friend's pre
Lauren
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rachael Johns is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors. I didn't know I loved rural romance until I read her previous novel Jilted, and it's not just the gorgeous outback settings that draw me into her books, it's the wonderful characters.

In Man Drought, I loved Imogen and Gibson who were both beautiful people, but a little bit broken. It seemed that, without even realising it, they were surviving rather than living. They'd both suffered in their own ways and were not looking to find lov
Lily Malone
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first Rachael Johns book that I've read and I have to be honest - I won it in a reader blog giveaway promotion. That said, Rachael has a great name in Australian rural romance writing and I was very keen to see how she plots a book and pulls it all together.
I really enjoyed Man Drought. I particularly liked the concept and the start, about a woman's change of direction and pace in life to purchase a classic old Aussie pub in a remote rural town that is slowly dying as people move awa
Ceri ( A Book Between)
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is impossible not to fall in love with the characters in this book. Imogen and Gibson are so determined and passionate, making it impossible for them not to lock horns, but they are also in their own ways slightly damaged which makes it impossible not not to feel their pain.
Although Gibson's grandfather Charlie, was my favourite character. Charlie is just the right mixture of sweet and stubborn, and he really brings the story together.

Rachael's writing style paints a perfect picture of countr
Lisa Ireland
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book but it did take me a little while to get into it. I had read Jilted and loved it and at first I wasn't sure if Man Drought would live up to my expectations. It took me a few chapters to be convinced. Initially I didn't warm to Gibson, but it wasn't long before I could see his appeal!

Rachael Johns has a knack for creating authentic characters, ones that the reader can truly invest in. This is not just true of the main protagonists, but of every character in her books. I
Michelle
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and can't wait to get the opportunity to write my review

Man Drought is a delightful read that dragged me in and at times broke my heart.The setting is the small West Australian town of Gibson’s Find. A town that boasts a pub and not much else. It is this pub, The Majestic, that captures the attention of Imogen Bates as she drives past on her way to Kalgoorlie to visit her parents. It is an early nineteenth-century hotel in a tiny town so it’s seen better days but being on t
  • Heartland
  • Queen of the Road
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
  • The Road Home
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • Hope's Road
  • Bridie's Choice
  • Zoe's Muster
  • Currawong Creek (The Wild Australia Stories #2)
  • Nobody But Him (Boys of Summer, #1)
  • Ryders Ridge