Start by marking “Buzzing Communities: How to Build Bigger, Better, and More Active Online Communities” as Want to Read:

Buzzing Communities cuts through the fluff to offer a clear process for creating thriving online communities. This book combines a century of proven science, dozens of real-life examples, practical tips, and trusted community-building methods.

This step-by-step guide includes a lifecycle for tracking your progress and a framework for managing your organization's community e
Published October 27th 2012 by FeverBee (first published October 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Buzzing Communities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buzzing Communities

Start your review of Buzzing Communities: How to Build Bigger, Better, and More Active Online Communities
Mercer Smith
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
While I thought that there was a lot of good information for what to look out for, or what to think about moving forward into the life of your community, I thought that this was a very repetitive and pretty dull book, all things considered.
Nick Mudry
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
Early on in this book, there's a lot you can learn about the anatomy of what a community is, stages of growth (not just for the community, but also the Community Manager(s)), and concepts around measuring the success of a Community Manager's job in an organization. Lots of what was shared in these first few chapters on Strategy, Growth, Content, and Influence and Relationships all feel like they have concepts that I can keep learning and picking new ideas from for years to come.

However, several
Roman Imankulov
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well structured book, full of insights and practical examples which surprisingly can easily be extended beyond the role of a community manager.

From the very beginning the author emphasizes the need for being proactive and data-driven and the necessity to have a the goal (more broadly, the mission) to check against.

The book provides a good and detailed anatomy of communities, including typical structures, lifecycles, potential issues (including those which I couldn't think of, like losing
Mira
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This is well-structured, clear and actionable advice for community managers. However, the book is getting a bit dated and could use an updated new edition. It seems to stem from a time when online communities were pretty exclusively bulletin boards and forums, refers to tools and examples that no longer exist, and doesn't cover a whole range of community realities we contend with today. For instance, it describes "influencers" as celebrities and CEOs of top companies in the sector, when today, i ...more
Matt Chester
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Was given this book as a part of a role as community manager I was taking on with a partner, and coming from a place of never having run, moderated, or managed a community platform before this book was really insightful. Plenty of times I recognized ideas and strategies that I see in retrospect had worked (or not worked) on me as a customer, so having it all laid out by experts in the field was a great help.

It's not a breezy or particularly engaging read, but the information contained within is
Justin Melloni
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was very good and I recommend it to anyone trying to build a community. I especially liked the 2nd half. My team is in the process of building an online community, so I learned a lot from this book on how to do that. There is a lot of work for me to do and unfortunately, it will take a while to see what plays out. Once we have been around for a little while, I will go back and reread this book to see what else we can change.
Jules
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: od
I'm probably not the target audience for this since I manage a community of sorts, which doesn't meet all the classic elements and needs Millington describes throughout. Still, I found some good nuggets and practices throughout.

Marko Suomi
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-2018
Very practical and useful info for community professionals.
Teresa
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Learning how to build community forums (work book)
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone in the community management field!
Jeff Ross
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As an online community manager for a Fortune 100 company's internal social network and external social properties as well, and as a long-time fan of Rich Millington's feverbee.com blog, I was thrilled to read his recent book. He incorporates a plethora of practical ideas about growing communities and how to do so based on data and sound data analysis.

I wrote a complete review on my blog at http://jeffrossblog.com/2013/01/16/bo... if you'd like to check it out. After tagging Rich in a tweet about
Janne
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-parts
Good for advice on practical community building - you can feel that there is a lot of experience behind the advice. The theoretical background is thin and understanding of what makes us involve, engage etc from at more scientific point of view is lacking.
Warren
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
Brilliant read ... really practical and interesting. Now the ultimate test - to implement the theory ...
Bonnie  Zink
May 01, 2018
Aparna
Oct 13, 2018
Martina Sharp
rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2016
Kasperi Kivistö
Apr 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Get Together: How to build a community with your people
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • Tales of Pirx the Pilot
  • A Microsoft Life
  • Wacky Waving Inflatable Tube Guy
  • Sell It Like Serhant: How to Sell More, Earn More, and Become the Ultimate Sales Machine
  • Critical Path: How to Review Videogames for a Living
  • Ferdydurke
  • Cosmos
  • Imperium chmur
  • W kraju niewiernych
  • Trans-Atlantyk
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
  • The Community Manager's Playbook: How to Build Brand Awareness and Customer Engagement
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...
“sole goal of the inception stage is to achieve critical mass by cultivating a small group of highly active members in the community. This group becomes the foundation upon which to build the community. Unless a small, active, group is established it is impossible to develop a successful long-term community.” 0 likes
“Your goal is to get these members into the habit of regularly visiting the community to see the responses to their own posts. It takes time until visiting a community becomes a habit. Until then, members need frequent reminders to participate. Automated reminders are not enough.” 0 likes