Start by marking “Buzzing Communities: How to Build Bigger, Better, and More Active Online Communities” as Want to Read:

Buzzing Communities cuts through the fluff to offer a clear process for creating thriving online communities. This book combines a century of proven science, dozens of real-life examples, practical tips, and trusted community-building methods.

This step-by-step guide includes a lifecycle for tracking your progress and a framework for managing your organization's community
Published October 27th 2012 by FeverBee (first published October 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Buzzing Communities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buzzing Communities

Start your review of Buzzing Communities: How to Build Bigger, Better, and More Active Online Communities
Mercer Smith
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
While I thought that there was a lot of good information for what to look out for, or what to think about moving forward into the life of your community, I thought that this was a very repetitive and pretty dull book, all things considered.
Roman Imankulov
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well structured book, full of insights and practical examples which surprisingly can easily be extended beyond the role of a community manager.

From the very beginning the author emphasizes the need for being proactive and data-driven and the necessity to have a the goal (more broadly, the mission) to check against.

The book provides a good and detailed anatomy of communities, including typical structures, lifecycles, potential issues (including those which I couldn't think of, like losing
Matt Chester
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Was given this book as a part of a role as community manager I was taking on with a partner, and coming from a place of never having run, moderated, or managed a community platform before this book was really insightful. Plenty of times I recognized ideas and strategies that I see in retrospect had worked (or not worked) on me as a customer, so having it all laid out by experts in the field was a great help.

It's not a breezy or particularly engaging read, but the information contained within is
Justin Melloni
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was very good and I recommend it to anyone trying to build a community. I especially liked the 2nd half. My team is in the process of building an online community, so I learned a lot from this book on how to do that. There is a lot of work for me to do and unfortunately, it will take a while to see what plays out. Once we have been around for a little while, I will go back and reread this book to see what else we can change.
Jules
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: od
I'm probably not the target audience for this since I manage a community of sorts, which doesn't meet all the classic elements and needs Millington describes throughout. Still, I found some good nuggets and practices throughout.

Marko Suomi
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-2018
Very practical and useful info for community professionals.
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone in the community management field!
Jeff Ross
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As an online community manager for a Fortune 100 company's internal social network and external social properties as well, and as a long-time fan of Rich Millington's feverbee.com blog, I was thrilled to read his recent book. He incorporates a plethora of practical ideas about growing communities and how to do so based on data and sound data analysis.

I wrote a complete review on my blog at http://jeffrossblog.com/2013/01/16/bo... if you'd like to check it out. After tagging Rich in a tweet about
Janne
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-parts
Good for advice on practical community building - you can feel that there is a lot of experience behind the advice. The theoretical background is thin and understanding of what makes us involve, engage etc from at more scientific point of view is lacking.
Warren
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
Brilliant read ... really practical and interesting. Now the ultimate test - to implement the theory ...
Bonnie  Zink
May 01, 2018
Aparna
Oct 13, 2018
Martina Sharp
rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2016
Jun 18, 2017
Hexakosioi
Dec 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Community Building on the Web: Secret Strategies for Successful Online Communities
  • The Slicing Pie Handbook: Perfectly Fair Equity Splits for Bootstrapped Startups
  • Managing Online Forums: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run Successful Community Discussion Boards
  • The King of Content: Sumner Redstone's Battle for Viacom, CBS, and Everlasting Control of His Media Empire
  • Get Together: How to build a community with your people
  • Killer T
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay
  • Memo from Turner
  • Overleven
  • Explicador
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Aquila
  • Fox 8
  • Dolores Dolly Poppedijn
  • Kamer in Oostende
  • Miss Wyoming
  • The Porpoise
  • The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence
“sole goal of the inception stage is to achieve critical mass by cultivating a small group of highly active members in the community. This group becomes the foundation upon which to build the community. Unless a small, active, group is established it is impossible to develop a successful long-term community.” 0 likes
“Your goal is to get these members into the habit of regularly visiting the community to see the responses to their own posts. It takes time until visiting a community becomes a habit. Until then, members need frequent reminders to participate. Automated reminders are not enough.” 0 likes