Start by marking “Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)” as Want to Read:
Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)

Christmas Tales of Terror

(Tales of Terror)

From malevolent snowmen to Father Christmas - with a difference ... Chris Priestley is on absolute top form in these atmospheric, clever and thoroughly chilling stories. Add a new kind of thrill to the fluffiest of seasons with seven brilliantly conceived examples of why you'd better be good at Christmas time. For stories which can be enjoyed by the whole family, unwrap th ...more
Kindle Edition, Bloomsbury Childrens, 104 pages
Published November 8th 2012 by Bloomsbury Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Tales of Terror, please sign up.
Katerina I am Czech and I must say that I am really very happy about our cover and that the graphics/art tone was kept across all Priestley's books published…moreI am Czech and I must say that I am really very happy about our cover and that the graphics/art tone was kept across all Priestley's books published here. I am sorry that you can't enjoy that, too. But as they say, never judge a book by it's cover. :-)(less)

Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
I didn’t find this collection of stories as engaging as Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror and Tales of Terror from the Black Ship by the same author.
Badseedgirl
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novella includes 7 short winter tales. All of them occur on or around Christmas. Although none of them are what I would call scary, they do have that delightful Victorian ghost story feel about them. A nice little distraction for the holidays.
Martin
Čekal jsem atmosférickou nálož chytrých povídek z prostředí Vánoc.

Dostal jsem sbírku předvídatelných a prvoplánových příběhů, u kterých jsem měl pocit, jako bych si četl slohovky studentů středních škol. Žádné velké zápletky, žádná překvapení, nuda, šeď. Aspoň, že to rychle skončilo - každá ze sedmi povídek se dá přečíst za nějakých pět, deset minut.
Jen ta vánoční atmosféra to trochu zachraňovala.
Nicole Urbančíková
Na to, ze je to detska knizka musim rict, ze detem bych ji rozhodne nedoporucila
Alena
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Předvánoční jednohubka s příjemně mrazivou atmosférou.

Abigail  F
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5. Not as engaging as “Uncle Montague’s Tales of Terror,” and I missed having a frame story.

I also felt like several of the stories were incomplete in some way. Perhaps this is because the “ghoulish twist” was often explained after the fact, therefore many of the stories lacked tension during the telling. Though this technique can work to great effect in some cases, and Priestley wielded it well in ‘The Gilt Frame’ in “UMToT,” the ultimate reveals in this collection were not striking enough t
Jenn M
Jan 02, 2018 added it
I do not usually read horror or terror genre stories and novels, but was in the mood for something to read for the Christmas holidays. This short story work by Chris Priestly was available as an Overdrive selection from my local library's e-book collection.

While in my experience, short stories can often be bereft of detail, sacrificing descriptive language for the sake of telling a complete story within the confines of the "short" story space, Priestley's tales were well-written to provide enou
Jana P.
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Co jsem to sakra právě dočetla? :-O :-D Takovéhle creepy příběhy pro děti jsem už dlouho neviděla. Bylo to poněkud zvrácené, ale stejně jsem si to užila.
Rachel
5 stars.

Loved this collection as I also do with Chris Priestley's other books. I only wish it was longer.
Regsly
I read this during Christmas season. Needless to say, it was perfectly eerie and creepy.

These are a bunch of Christmas themed short terror stories for kids. Some may end up better than others. Or not. Some will creep you out more than others. They are also beautifully constructed.

Chris Priestley really is an English man. Only someone from the UK could write like this: the tone, the atmosphere, the language...

I'm looking forward to reading his other works!
Blair
The title pretty much says it all - Priestley continues his Tales of Terror series with seven stories set around Christmas. These are meant for children, so they're unlikely to actually frighten you (and they aren't as scary as some of the previous installments in the series...) but the author's style is masterful, and there's always a ghoulish twist. Perfect as an easy winter read.
Luci Ann Keenagh
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!!!! WONDERFULLY spooky, creepy stories for the festive season! Just wish there were more! Can't get enough of Mr. Priestley, he writes his gothic, creepiness sooo beautifully :-):-):-):-):-) There's no-one else quite like him.
Vojtěch
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mno nebylo to špatné. Že by to bylo nějak převratné dílo, to se říct nedá, ale povídky mě bavily a měly rozhodně solidní atmosféru. Takže pokud si chcete oddechnout a zároveň být tak trochu napnutí, Příšerné příběhy vánoční jsou to pravé strašidelné.
Chelsea Hagen
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it was like the old fashion scary stories.
Radynka
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knihovnička
Čtivá, trochu děsivá jednohubka. :)
Sean
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror

Some great little spooky tales for Christmas. Read them just before you go to sleep, by candlelight, while a chill winter wind whistles outside and tree branches tap tap at your window.
Kim
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, horror
It has been 3 years now that I've planned to read this book in the Christmas period and each time I completely forget about it at that time of year. Well this year I came across it in January and I thought, close enough, let's do this.

I was hoping that this book would follow the same format as the other Tales of Terror. So one story that binds all the smaller stories together like the story of Uncle Montague in Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror. That was unfortunately not the case. The stories d
Linda
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just discovered Priestley's Tales of Terror even though he's been around for awhile. I'm a little slow on the uptick. I'm enjoying them greatly and still wondering why the judge for horror fiction said my story wasn't horror. I'm not obsessed much, am I?
Really liked In the Mid-Deep Winter story in this book.
Mercedes
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
The weakest of the Tales of Terror so far. The stories were ok, but I feel they could all have been fleshed out a little more. These weren't anywhere near as good/scary as the 'Black Ship' and the 'Tunnel's Mouth'. Both of those were excellent. This one felt rushed.
Patti
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The Snowman was my favorite.
Brian Richardson
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice little book. Slightly creepy stories. Could’ve expanded them into something really good. Probably give it 3 1/2 ⭐ ...more
Kuba
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Čteno potřetí. Tato kniha mi prostě dokáže navodit vánoční atmosféru. Navíc Příšerné příběhy jsou mé dětství. Dokonalá, mrazivá kombinace.
SensBaby21
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun little stories. Reminded me of R.L. Stine stories I read as a kid.
Juli
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Christmas Tales of Terror features 7 spooky Christmas-themed tales. From a cursed drummer boy to demented snowmen, this book puts the ho ho ho in horror. This is the 3rd book by Priestley that I have read. His witty and clever horror stories never fail to deliver chilling, spooky joy.

The stories are written for middle grade age children, but are complex enough to be enjoyed by adults, too. The stories have scary moments and horrific twists, but there is nothing inappropriate for kids ages 10+.
Lenka
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nejlepší byla asi Hrací skříňka s uhořelými sestrami, zbytek docela předvídatelný, ale plný zimy a sněhu, takže ok.
Jessica  Sinn (Books and Trouble)
I am so glad I impulsively purchased this $1.99 nugget of ghoulish holiday fun! The book of short stories is meant for young readers, but it’s far creepier than anything you’ll see in the young adult section. It’s like the British version of "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark." These morbid tales of killer snowmen, demonic dolls, and caroling ghosts are perfect for a night around the campfire surrounded by the winter woods. Come to think of it, that would be the most perfect Christmas Eve ever. ...more
Elusive
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘Christmas Tales of Terror’ features seven short stories which revolve around terrifying events that occur during Christmas. They consist of ‘The Green Man’, ‘The Musical Box’, ‘The Snowman’, ‘Frost’, ‘In the Bleak Midwinter’, ‘Soot’ and ‘The Last Present’.

The straightforward, simple writing style was effective as it was still descriptive enough thus it was easy to picture the surroundings as well as get a feel of the atmosphere hinting at impending doom. All of the stories had their respective
Kayleigh  D'Andilly
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Chris Priestley's tales of terror and this one was no exception. As I read these I always like them, then later on in the day the story will come back to me and I'll ended up really loving it. Which makes these books really great, you don't just forget them after your done.

There are some nice spooky stories set around Christmas in this one that are sure to give you a chill. I think I liked Soot most of all, but I really did enjoy all seven stories.

The only thing I will say, is
Bronwyn
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The stories take place in some unstated distant past, but the language is decidedly more modern. This would ordinarily be irritating, but it makes them feel more like ghost stories that have been passed down for a hundred years and are now being told in the present. The stories aren't long enough for true suspense, and the final scene of horror isn't too gruesome, so these stories are appropriate for younger audiences. The quirkiness of each story's final twist reminds me of episodes of The Twil ...more
Martha
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I tried it because of my interest in horror stories for children, but I was deeply disappointed. The form was nothing I haven't seen before and except for a totally predictable ending, which kind of felt like it didn't belong and was forced into the story for the sole purpose of putting the label of horror to it, it showed very few signs of anything even remotely scary. Change the ending end it will be like thousands of other Christmas tales for children. If you expect chills creeping up your sp ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Кладбищенские истории
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Adventures in Horrorland
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
  • Another Little Christmas Murder
  • Ghosts of Christmas Past
  • Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #1)
  • A Literary Christmas: An Anthology
  • A Tudor Christmas
  • Pappersväggar
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
  • A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)
  • An Amish Gift
  • The True Gift: A Christmas Story
  • Those Christmas Angels (Angels Everywhere, #5)
  • Christmas in Apple Ridge: Three-in-One Collection: The Sound of Sleigh Bells, The Christmas Singing, The Dawn of Christmas
  • Chance of a Lifetime
His father was in the army and so he moved around a lot as a child and lived in Wales. He was an avid reader of American comics as a child, and when he was eight or nine, and living in Gibraltar, he won a prize in a newspaper story-writing competition. He decided then “that my ambition was to write and illustrate my own book”.
He spent his teens in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, before moving to Manchester,

Tales of Terror (5 books)
  • Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror