Start by marking “Awakening Foster Kelly” as Want to Read:
Awakening Foster Kelly

Awakening Foster Kelly

If only a pile of wayward curls and the inability to stay on her feet were seventeen year-old Foster Kelly’s most pressing concerns. Unfortunately, stubborn hair and clumsiness is just the tip of it. It was only a mistake, but when at the age of five Foster is told “You don’t belong here” the result is one broken heart. These four carelessly spoken words have shaped and sh ...more
Published June 26th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published June 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening Foster Kelly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening Foster Kelly

Thalia
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Um...you know, I'm really not sure.
Recommended to Thalia by: The author
Read the review on my blog:
Kristin Yuki
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nowadays, I always feel a slight thrill upon picking up a contemporary young adult novel. In a market abound with post-apocalyptic worlds and survivalist female archetypes (not that I'm complaining, mind), there's always that potential of originality afforded to those on the contemporary end of the spectrum. And that is exactly the word I think best sums up Awakening Foster Kelly: original.

Just a few pages into the novel, we learn Foster Kelly is not your typical high-school student. She's intr
Bianca Allen
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now that I have regained my composure, I can finally attempt to put into words how I feel about this book. I'll start with this: I laughed, I cried, I fell in love.

***UPDATE***
I re-read this book in December. The following paragraph was written prior to the latest edited version of the book. I have since then purchased a copy of Awakening Foster Kelly and, although I wasn't necessarily searching, I found zero errors, typos, grammatical issues etc... Beyond that, the hardcopy is GORGEOUS!!!

Okay,
Jannat Bhat
"Tonight,"he continued,"when you walk out on that court to sing the National Anthem, I want you to think of that heart. I want you to believe in you the way I believe in you. Believe that you are, to me, my angel."

Oh My GOSH! I don't even know where to begin. So in simple words I absolutely and completely LOVED this book.
Awakening Foster Kelly was such an amazing read. Though I felt it to be a little slow paced in the beginning the overall story more than just makes up for it.The characters fe
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Awakening Foster Kelly is the type of book where you want to highlight every line and every word. We encounter a beautiful prose, full of imagery and enchanting details that it’s hard not to get captured by its beauty, not wanting to miss a single tiny thing.

Foster Kelly is the spitting image of our own fears of being out there, but doubled. Of trying to blend into the wall, to go unnoticed. Fearing to love and being forgotten. Being so guarded, only a few people get to know the wonderful person
Karla
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok

I really wanted to give this book a better rating because there are a lot of positives. However, the negatives were so distracting that I cannot rate it higher.

The positives:

The characters in the book are very well drawn. Excellent job with making them interesting, likable, and realistic. Even, when I wasn't reading the book, I was thinking about them.

I loved the dialog in this book. It's not easy to write believable dialog and Ms. Olsen did with skill.

The negatives:

The poor grammar was extreme
Michael
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must be completely honest and start by saying that I know the Author, which is why I picked up the book to give it a read. Being a guy that enjoys thought provoking, meaningful, and believable fiction literature, the Young Adult market disappoints me greatly. And sadly, I might not have picked up this book because it's a love story between two older teens. What guy wants to read that, right? Well I'm glad I did!

Lets face it guys...we can be a bit more romantic than we want to give off; but it
Shirley
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received Awakening Foster Kelly in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Okay, I have to be totally honest here. When I first looked at the synopsis of this book I was intrigued. It didn’t sound like the average angst/drama filled contemporary YA book that I avoid at all costs. It sounded really interesting and fun. Then I looked at the page count…. 702 pages is A LOT of book. As daunting as that number was, I really wanted to see if the book was as intriguing as the synopsis. Guess what?
Natalie
Jul 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: ???
Recommended to Natalie by: the author
*I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

Where to start with this book . . .

Hmm. Well, if you can’t tell already, I didn’t like this book at all. I will admit that even though I didn’t like this book, it did start out pretty interesting and I dare even say that it was enjoyable despite all the major grammar mistakes that are all over the book. Seriously, they are everywhere. But I’ll get to that later in the review. There’s also another element of the sto
Brit McCarthy
Thank you to the author for sending me this e-book in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I was contacted regarding a review for this book. Tuesday night after my last exam I settled into bed, got comfortable and started to read. Four hours later, it was the middle of the night, the rest of the world was asleep, and I was enraptured. I couldn't put it down. Even though reading on a ten inch tablet can be frustrating, I didn
Fran
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75 to a solid 4 stars

Before diving into this, I was warned by the author that this was going to be a lengthy book—672 pages to be exact—and I knew from reading the reviews that this had an interesting ending. So halfway through, I was almost sure I knew what I was going to say about this in my review, but the last 10% completely threw me off guard that I had to rethink everything, as well as forget most of my preconceived notions. I just did not see THAT coming. AT ALL!

Now, to be honest, I don
Amanda
Oct 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
What to say about this book?
I read this one because the author reached out to me through GR and asked if I would review her book. It sounded pretty good so I went for it.

This book was way too long for the type of story it is. Everything was described in detail. And I mean everything.

Almost every time a new character was introduced there was a flashback to show how the MC had first met them. There were dream sequences that lasted for pages and pages and added nothing to the story or character
Emily
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Foster Kelly is that awkward girl you knew or were in high school. She is constantly teeter tottering in her life, either in her thoughts or her affinity for clumsiness make an appearance in her day to day life. After a particularly mortifying moment, Foster again feels a little lost when it comes to Dominic. After a rough start though they become friends of sorts but the more they spend time together it builds into something more special and quite unique. Throw in a protective and outspoken fri ...more
Shannon Moreno
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awakening Foster Kelly, by Cara Rosalie Olsen, is a wonderful and captivating read. Her characters are well-developed in such a way, that it is easy to see some of oneself in at least one of the cast. Not only are the characters brilliantly brought forth, but the story is full of twists and turns that keep one guessing as the story continues to unfold. Not only is it a sweet and tender story of first love, but one of healing and reconciliation, kindness and compassion that is extended throughout ...more
Brianne
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this (after not being able to put it down) and I was pleasantly surprised. The story lets us enter the fascinating mind of a high school senior, Foster, as she meets Dominic, a transfer student. As their encounters unfold she is learning about who she is and it is beautifully written, with vivid descriptions. You can't not feel for her as she is challenged in many ways throughout the book, forcing herself to discover who she really is.
Cara Olsen
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It is the strangest thing: Perhaps there is a brewed conflict of interest, but I simply couldn't put this book down.
Tiffany York
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say that I very often have authors message me on Goodreads asking if I would like to read and review their book. Usually this happens via email, and I have to admit that I was pleased when Cara Olsen DID message me on Goodreads. She wrote me a nice, detailed message asking me to read her book, giving me details about it, and warning me that the book was long and could take some time to read. I looked into the book, and was immediately interested. Sure, I was a little concerned about it ...more
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of Awakening Foster Kelly after being contacted by the author to read and give an honest review, from the start Cara mentioned that it was a long a book and was very understanding with the time it took me to read, which is great because being pressured is no fun. This will in no way effect my opinion of the book.

Awakening Foster Kelly did take me a long tim
Diana
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's so hard trying to explain why I liked it so much, without saying why.
Because that makes sense.
Other than wanting to avoid spoilers, I literally don't know what to call it.

There is no word for what it is. But what ever it is I love it. It's such a rare thing to find, especially as genuine as this one.
"Genuine" still might not even be the word for it.
I'm going to stop trying to think of words that might not even exist now.

I seen it labeled as a romance, and maybe at the end that is what it be
Jill-Ann
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
***this book was given to me by the author through Ethereal Book Reviews (Guest Reviewer Program)***

When I saw the length of this book(672 pages, 852 according to my tablet) I was immediately nervous. I began to worry it would be drawn out with more detail than necessary and that it would take me longer than normal to get through every page. Then I continued to turn the pages and I continued to fall into the story that is Foster Kelly.

I will admit that at times the amount of time it took to lea
Gillian
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awakening Foster Kelly is almost like reading a dream. In many ways it feels as though its floats upon one and you wonder where the tale will take you next.

The story is centred on Foster Kelly, a seventeen-year-old shy, young woman, who has brains to burn and musical talent to boot. It is written in the first person, so the reader has a keen sense of the character, who she is and where she needs to go. It is a beautiful thing to see her character develop as the story progresses.

Now, it is a long
Sarah Goodale
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished the book a couple of days ago and have been trying to marinate on what to say. But really there are no words. Even though I could only read the book in small sections at a time (I am a mom with young children), every time I was completely drawn into Foster's world due to the Author's very descriptive writing style. This book elicited every emotion on the spectrum for me and I care about Foster as if she is a real person. On the surface this book is a very relatable story about a girl ...more
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
Seriously.....YOU'VE GOT TO READ THIS BOOK.........

I finished the book and couldn't bring myself to start another book. Amazing... I couldn't stop thinking about it when I wasn't reading it and so caught up in the story as I was reading it that I even missed my bus stop I was so engrossed. I loved it. The twist at the end was so unexpected and at first threw me for a loop but wow... it was awesome. I feel like I've lost some best friends now that I'm done reading it.

I could relate to Foster's in
Nichole Marshall
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
I'm not a very smart reader. I have always had trouble reading since I was a child. I have a hard time with big words and in depth thoughtful books BUT Awakening Kelly Foster made me want to push through my difficulty in reading. The story line was so beautifully put and I fell IN LOVE with these characters. Mrs. Olsen has done an amazing job making you care for these characters. I found something about myself in each of these characters. At one point, while I'm reading, I'm yelling at one of th ...more
Brittney
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow...Just wow. Beautiful story. Will absolutely be watching for more from this author.
M. ~ B&B
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was only one place I wanted to be: the place that wanted me too.

The subject matter of this story is kind of personal to me. There’s been a lot of attention for bullying, trying to stop it and trying to help those who are being bullied. However, there’s something that’s probably as damaging to a kid. It’s something that everyone forgets about, because there’s no physical or strong emotional violence involved. It’s the feeling of not belonging.
Awkward and angular, I was trying to squee
Suad Shamma
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014

I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Cara Olsen.

So how did I feel about this book? Honestly, not very good. I struggled. I struggled so much to read past each page and each chapter. I don't usually blame the book on how big it is (this is a big book), and I won't start now, because no matter the size of the book if it's good, you'll be flying through the pages unable to put it down.

Foster Kelly was one of the most irritating characters that
Keren Broce
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that I know the author and this is why I originally purchased the book. It takes a lot of courage, determination and hard work to write and publish a book, so I wanted to show my support in more than just an emotional/verbal, way-to-go sort of way. I supported Cara physically by actually purchasing and reading AFK. And even though I knew that she was incredibly creative, I nowhere near expected the novel to be so well written as to make it into my top five favorite - if not my very ...more
Kimberly Karalius
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-favorites
I just finished AFK and I'm stunned. Stunned in the most wonderful way. I knew that Cara was a fan of Sara Addison Allen (and so am I), but to see that twist of magical realism sneak in at the end was a delight - not to mention a complete surprise!

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First off, I love this book because I can relate to Foster on so many levels. While her anxiety and shyness was sometimes extreme, I'd be lying if I said I never felt like that from time to time.

description

So, is she realistic?
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, r-r-s, romance
Thank you to the author, Cara Rosalie Olsen, for gifting me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

To begin, the author provided me with a link to read the first 10 chapters for free before I decided if I'd like to read it all. Once I got to the end of chapter 10, I was convinced there was some shady fantasy going on so I had to read more. And that right there is why it's a 3 star instead of a 4 star book. Let me explain.

As I was reading those first 10 chapters, I got the feel
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Writing Clementine
  • Starlet's Light (The Starlet, #3)
  • The Summer of Me and You
  • I Am Juliet
  • Holding On and Letting Go (The Ties That Bind Us, #1)
  • Broken Road
  • Under a Blood Moon (Elemental Enchanters #1)
  • Fever: Many are Born, Few are Reborn (Wolf Sirens, #2)
  • Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)
  • Honor's Reward (Rocky Mountain Legacy, #5)
  • The Lost Books Box Set (The Lost Books Series, #1-6)
  • Reborn (The Fate Challenges, #1)
  • The Books of Bayern Box Set
  • Devour
  • Christy and Todd: The College Years
  • So Over It (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #3)
  • The House of the Soul: A Novel
  • The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
CARA ROSALIE OLSEN resides in sunny Southern California, where she lives with her very patient husband, Michael, and their delicious daughter, Hazel Gwen. A product of a relatively normal childhood - whatever that means - Olsen recalls "Life had this relentlessly boorish way of reminding me I was wonky and unapproved. Regardless of status or gene pool, there is nothing simple or easy about growing ...more
“I know nothing of writing books properly. I write in the same manner I live life: one feeling at a time. If this makes me a bad writer, then I might hope to author several bad books.” 5 likes
“The most beautiful things aren't ever things, are they?” 4 likes