Start by marking “Grave Intentions (Grave, #1)” as Want to Read:
Grave Intentions (Grave, #1)

Grave Intentions

(Grave #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  468 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
He’s handsome, reliable, and punctual—the perfect gentleman when you want him to be. But this dream man is Death’s best agent—and now he’s got more than his soul to lose…

One act of mercy before dying was all it took to turn soldier David Anderson into a reaper—an immortal who guides souls-of-untimely-death into the afterlife. But the closer he gets to atoning for his morta
Published January 3rd 2013 by Kensington Books

To ask other readers questions about Grave Intentions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grave Intentions

Douglas Meeks
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grave IntentionsGrave Intentions by Lori Sjoberg

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book took me by surprise, first of all since this is "paranormal" as obviously a book about Grim Reapers would be it is in reality a character driven romantic drama. The second thing that struck me as I read through the book was that for 80% or more of the book, the paranormal aspects played little if any part (except for the reapers having to show up at the scenes of the deaths). There is a bit of action in the story and the author ha
Beth
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
David Anderson died a tragic death, but right before his death an act of mercy changed is fate. He is now working for Death as one of the Grim Reaper. You see, even though David is in a physical human form, he can’t die, he doesn’t age and his job is to go around and collect souls that have lost their way to the after life. Seeing tradegy every day for 60 years has a way of hardening your heart, until the fateful day Sarah Griffith moved into his building.

Sarah Griffith is a scientist working to
Kathie (katmom)
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thank you, NetGalley and Kensington Books, for the opportunity to read GRAVE INTENTIONS by Lori Sjoberg.

David is a reaper. He guides souls-of-untimely-death into the afterlife. He has to do this for an indeterminate amount of time. His handler likes to threaten with extending the sentence. He just wants some peace. As the leader of the local reapers, he assigns the reapers to where the souls will breathe their last.

He's also training a new reaper, Adam. He rather hopes this one is going to take
Emily
The last thing David Anderson needs is an unhealthy attraction to his neighbor Sarah Griffith, after all what could a reaper have in common with a mortal? Quite a bit actually and the more David gets to know the more he wishes for a different path, but his life is sealed and souls need collecting. An interesting thing happens when Fate sees David at a crossroads and his decision could change everything he believes will happen.

I thought this was highly creative and loved the kind of dark humor th
☕ Kimberly
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Holy hot reaper, Grave Intentions was a fun, sexy start to a new paranormal fantasy. Sjoberg introduces us to souls who have been enlisted to serve as Reapers. I loved the world building and the fleshed out characters. It looks like each book will deal with a reaper and his romance. I quickly consumed this as I laughed, giggled and swooned.

We meet David Anderson he has been a reaper since he died during the war. His job is to help souls who die from tragedy cross over. His boss is fate, and beca
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
In case you don’t know I love the Paranormal Romance genre. So when I read the synopsis of Grave Intentions I was really intrigued. There have been a few grim reaper books that I have read and have fallen in love with so I hoped this would be another one of those kinds of books.

It is! The plot moves at a wonderful pace and takes you on an adventure with David Anderson whose job is a Grim Reaper. He had died quite a while ago in a war and was brought back to help souls who died by a tragic endin
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Who doesn't think that death is an interesting subject? Especially in today's fascination with vampires, shapeshifters, demons and all the other undead or long living creatures, it's hard to think of death solely in the context of sadness. Nope, death makes an interesting life choice these days, presenting fantasies of eternal life. So it's no wonder when I came across this series that deals with reapers who collect souls for Fate, I was very very intrigued.

This time we're not talking about crea
Rachel the Book Harlot
Roses are red, violets are blue
Oh, Grave Intentions, I just can't seem to finish you.

Sadly, this will be tossed onto the DNF shelf. At 54%, I'm still waiting for a plot to emerge. One that ties in the Hero's soul reaping and the Heroine's job as a scientist. Something with a little conflict to make things interesting. Right now it feels as though there are two separate stories being told: one in which the Hero is teaching a newbie the ropes as a grim reaper, and the other in which the Heroine is
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love this cover! Chest, abs, arms, sickle - all the requisite sex symbols! But more importantly I also loved the story. I believe this is the author's first published work, and Lori Sjoberg will be an author to watch. Her style is confident and consistent, the plot is tightly written and the pacing brisk. The characters are so fleshed out and realisticI feel like I know them.

David is my favorite kind of hero. He's strong, conflicted, stoic and brooding. After 60 plus years of reaping
Ami

Sjoberg is a new-to-me author and I'm happy to say I think her writing works with me. I enjoyed the work of the reapers here; and both the MCs were likable enough.

However, I also felt that the romance was not very prominent. David spent more of his time on page training Adam (whom I actually loved, especially when he decided to adopt a dog *laugh*) while Sarah was busy either with her work at the research lab, or visiting her grandmother. When David and Sarah were together, some scenes
Shelley
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
4.5

David Anderson is a reaper and one of Death’s more experienced agents. He’s been given the task of training a new reaper to collect souls.
Sarah Griffin lives in the same apartment building as David and is responsible for her grandmother, a psychic who lives in a home. Sarah doesn’t believe in things that go bump in the night or her grandmother’s visions. She works at Cava Technologies where she conducts trials and searches for cures for diseases like Alzheimer’s.

With my love of paranormal rom
Michelle Hauck
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is just a fun, fast read. The writing flowed without a hitch, making it a pleasure to turn pages. Main characters,David and Sarah, were believable and likable. It was easy to care about them. The reaper world caught my attention and going along on assignments with David and Adam was always an adventure.
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
I like reaper stories and I enjoyed this one. Grave Intentions provided a fresh spin on how reapers move among us and I'm always tickled to find a new spin on a supernatural being. :) I thought Ms. Sjoberg did a great job on creating something unique in that respect.

Sarah is a scientist and although she grew up around events that couldn't be explained - like being raised by a grandma who could talk to spirits - she shies away from anything that can't be scientifically or logically proven. But as
Qwill / The Qwillery
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Grave Intentions is Lori Sjoberg’s debut. It features, as main characters, a grim Reaper and a very skeptical Scientist – David and Sarah. Both are trying to do their jobs while facing difficulties. They are drawn together and face seemingly insurmountable odds of being together (as one expects in a Paranormal Romance). What makes Grave Intentions stand out is the Reapers' mythology and rules and the well done character building.

David and Sarah are both extremely likable. They don't experience i
Beth (^v^)/
3 Grim Reaper-y Stars

David has been dead for a long time. As a punishment for a sin he created while he was alive, he's been made into a Grim Reaper. He has to continually, day after day, watch people die. He sends them to heaven or hell. His afterlife really sucks.

And then he meets Sarah. She's alive and life also sucks for her too. She works as a medical researcher. Every day, she's met with protestors. Also, her boss is sexually harassing her, and threatening to ruin her career. Also, she has
Jean Oram
I loved it!

What would happen if a scientist fell in love with the grim reaper? Sarah, a scientist working feverishly on curing dementia, has the boss from hell, a hot neighbour, a family history of losing one's marbles, and a grandmother who sees dead people.

So what would happen if this woman saw her hot neighbour claiming a soul? While it's just another day's work for David, who is trying to earn redemption, this is definitely a complication he doesn't need.

This story had many layers and an end
Nightstand Novels
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at: http:www.nightstandnovels.com

I stepped out of my comfort zone with this book and tried a genre that I don’t normally read and I am so glad that I did. I loved this book. I really didn’t know what to expect when I started reading but something about the cover and the blurb drew me in.

I was surprised that other than the main character being a reaper, the paranormal aspect took a backseat to the romance in the sense that it didn’t play such a significant role in the sto
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
3.5 Stars

Grave Intentions is adorably predictable. It follows the traditional paranormal romance story arc where boy meets girl, they have insta-lust, they learn things about one another that shouldn't be possible, they hook up, something tears them apart, they live (?) happily for now.

David is emotionally closed off. But unlike most heroes, I actually understand why, and don't think he is being stupid, or immature, or any of the other things I usually think about emotionally stunted men. He is
Heather Felder
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
**My FULL REVIEW here**

After reading the synopsis for Grave Intentions, I thought it looked "okay". I am happy to report that it was definitely more than just "okay"!

David is the ultimate professional; having been on the job, so to speak, for 60 years, he has gotten very good at it. When you are a Grim Reaper, you really can't mess around, ya know? While he is busy doing his job, he is also training the new guy, Adam. Together they collect souls, helping guide them to wherever it is they are d
Charlee Allden
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
David is the senior Grim Reaper in the Orlando Florida area, working his way toward salvation one soul at a time. Sarah has thrown all of her efforts into scientific research to battle her fear of becoming as crazy as the rest of the women in her family.

Sarah and David’s story is romantic and fun with a healthy dish of impending doom. What would a book about the grim reaper be without at least a little doom? The story is an easy read that will keep you turning pages and rooting for love.

Sarah w
LAB☺
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, freebie
More like 2.5 stars. There wasn't anything really wrong with this book but there wasn't really anything great about it either. It was an ok story but I never felt drawn in to the characters and I was bored with the plot at times. Overall, for me, just kinda meh.
Angela
Dec 01, 2014 marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
28 July 2015: $0.00 FREE on Kindle

4 March 2015: $0.99 on Kindle
1 December 2014: $0.99 on Kindle
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
3.5 stars -

4 stars for the premise - I'm partial to Grim Reaper tales...3 stars for the writing style, story progression and romance scenes.
David has spent the last 60 years working as a reaper, collecting souls and helping them find their way to heaven as a way to atone for the sins he committed before he died. The only souls who need the help of a reaper are the ones who didn't die of natural causes so he has seen the worst kinds of accidents and murders throughout the years. Every reaper has a different way of coping with the things they see and David's has been to close off all of his emotions. He doesn't let anyone close, not e ...more
Chrissy
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Always collect your appointed souls. Do not alert humans to our presence. Do not question Fate. And for the love of God, do not alter destiny.

David is a reaper. He roams the earth collecting souls from a list he is presented weekly, enduring the recurring experience of unnatural death as he uses his body as a gateway from his world to the afterlife. He will continue to reap souls until he has atoned the sins of his past -- the lives he took, so long ago, when he tried to end the suffering of h
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Review originally published on Romancing the Dark Side:

A sweet and softer side to the dark Grim Reaper!

David Anderson was a soldier on the battlefield on the verge of death when Fate intervened, making him immortal to serve Death himself as a Grim Reaper. David is destined to usher lost souls to the after life to atone for his past mistakes. The life of a reaper has finally taken its toll on him, leaving him broken and jaded, until he meets his neighbor Sarah Griffith, a scientist who spends h
Marked By Books
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I almost never like the main characters. They're usually so naive and helpless, never having much of a story to tell unless someone else is willing to tell it for them. To me, the minor characters are the ones to watch. Their history is rich with imagination, and they can afford to be kind and selfless where the main characters cannot. They have the greatest personalities because they're not the ones trying to stay in the proverbial spotlight. They don't need to.

Grave Intentions really surprised
Christi Snow
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
My Review:
I really enjoyed this first book of this new series. The story line wasn't completely new and original, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the reading of it at all. It was really well written and I stayed fully engaged with the story from page one.

David's a grim reaper. He collects the souls of people minutes after they die. He's been doing this for over sixty years and it's not the easiest job in the world. He's constantly watching people die, many times those are gruesome deaths a
Brooklynn N.  Gibbs
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
If death came for me, and he was a really hot blond with a six-pack (who can totally kiss, btw), I would willingly go!

Becuase thats what David is; an agent of death, Grim Reaper. Whatever.

The book stareted out confusing at first, but when it finally clicked after a few chapters, it was a really smooth read. The characters were unique and quite funny at times. Its no Sherrilyn Kenyon book, but it was pretty darn spectacular.

The eye candy on the front should sway just about any female to this bo
  • Silver Skin (Cold Iron, #2)
  • Chain of Illusions (Bringer and the Bane, #3)
  • To Please A Lady (Seduction, #3)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • Stealing Second (Feeling the Heat, #5)
  • When I Fall (Montgomery Manor #2)
  • Making a Comeback (More Than a Game, #3)
  • Calling It (Calling It, #1)
  • The Day He Kissed Her (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake, #3)
  • Caught Up in the Touch (Sweet Home Alabama, #2)
  • Love Struck (Miss Match, #2)
  • The Hang Up (First Impressions, #2)
  • Taking a Chance (Restoration, #3)
  • Demon Hunting in Dixie (Demon Hunting, #1)
  • Desert Bound (Cambio Springs #2)
  • Tap Out (Worth the Fight, #2)
Sign up for news on Lori's latest releases, contests, giveaways, and more at http://www.lorisjoberg.com

Grave (4 books)
  • Grave Destinations (Grave, #2)
  • Grave Vengeance (Grave, #3)
  • Grave Attraction (Grave, #4)