Start by marking “First to Find (Caching Out, #1)” as Want to Read:
First to Find (Caching Out, #1)

First to Find

(Caching Out #1)

Death is the hardest puzzle to solve.

Margarita Williams escaped death at a young age, but its shadow has followed her all her life. Now, amidst the chaos of a new Australian roommate and mysterious, menacing neighbors, Death has set the puzzlemaker a puzzle of her own. Someone is killing her fellow geocachers, one by one.

Supersmeller Bindi Ryan left Australia to marry a ma
Published October 22nd 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

Mimi
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have been an avid geocacher for almost 10 years, so this is a review coming from someone who knows…I really enjoyed it and as a Geocacher, I give this a 5-star review!

I won’t go into a whole description of Geocaching for Muggles who Read ;) - if you want to learn more about it, visit www.geocaching.com. …but I thought it was really cool how the author combined her own passion for Geocaching into a well-written geo-sleuthing tale. This is definitely an engrossing read, with two very colorful ma
Lisen Minetti
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story opens in the wee hours of the morning with Margarita, a woman in her 30s with a passion for geocaching. She has been receiving mysterious emails leading her to believe that someone has hidden a special cache in her honor - and she is determined to be the first one to claim it. However she gets more than she bargained for when she arrives at the cache and finds a dead body.

Unfortunately, for me, the story went downhill from there. As I read through the first chapters I realized that I h
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Original post here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/11/first-to-find-blog-tour-indie-book.html

Geocaching? What the hell is geocaching? That was the first question that popped in my head when I started this. But man, I am glad I found out about it. It is such an interesting hobby. It is actually a treasure hunt. People use cell phones/GPS to locate hidden containers that are called geocaches. First To Find (aka FTF-a term of when you are the first to find a cache) is about a woman named
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Where to start with this review..... Well most of you who know me know I love to read and I don't stick to one genre. I love to skip around and when I had the opportunity to read this book I was excited! As I started reading the book I realized that I had no clue what the heck was going on and I had no clue what a geocacher is so I decided I had to look it up. I did and what I found is a geocacher is someone who hunts down hidden objects. It is a game and you log on with the username you chose a ...more
Cresta McGowan
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it

The Plot:
First to Find by Morgan C. Talbot traces the journey of Margarita Williams, a girl who escaped death at a young age. But, it seems death is not so easily thwarted as it keeps cropping up in Margarita's life through the people she loves. The latest victim is Graham, a fellow geocacher. What at first appears to be an accident of the trade (more on this later), Margarita soon discovers that Graham was murdered. Death, once again, takes a heavy toll on her life.

Using her "mad skills" as a g
Julie G
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
While vaguely familiar with geocaching, I've never actually participated. The idea of using GPS to track down a 'hidden treasure' or cache, sounds like a tremendous amount of fun. And wrapping an entire novel around it was enough to have me jumping at the chance to read it.

Before going any further, I should mention that the book takes its title from the top line of each cache logbook: FTF, First to Find. It's the honor bestowed upon the (obviously) first person to find a newly released cache. Ma
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Many thanks to Red Adept for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Margarita Williams lives in Silver Creek, Oregon, works at the local hospital, is an avid geocacher and puzzle enthusiast. She’s just picked up a new Aussie roommate who was dumped by her fiancé upon landing in America and she has rented the other half of her duplex to some weird, but quiet neighbors. Life is fairly normal until one early morning when she runs out to find a new cache and while sh
Joan
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I wanted to love this book, but unfortunately I can't say I did. Geocaching seems like a perfect setting for a murder mystery - you have puzzles, remote locations, hidden treasures in the woods, and characters who may be a little out of the ordinary. This book had all of those in plenty. I did enjoy the story and most of the characters, at least enough to check into future books in this series. There were a few things that annoyed me though. People were briefly introduced and seemed to be only m ...more
Al
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
For those not familiar with the term, geocaching is a kind of treasure hunt where participants start with clues, which are used to get the longitude and latitude of the location of a “cache.” The geocacher then finds the physical cache using these coordinates and a portable GPS. It is kind of like a treasure hunt and appeals to those who like puzzles as well as outdoor activities.

First to Find (a term for the first person to find a new cache) is a murder mystery that revolves around a group of g
Pereza
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
First we meet Margarita. She is a veteran geocacher. Her roommate, Bindi, is from Australia, recently dumped by her fiancé. Life seems to be going fine until murders and a theft occur. Margarita becomes entwined into investigations of fellow geocachers that end up dead. She is determined to find out the mystery behind why these are occurring.

Bindi has a mystery of her own when a local statue is stolen from a public park and she sets out to figure out who took it. Both cases come together when Ma
Kelly Jahn
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love geocaching. That's why I picked this book up in the first place. But it turned out to be the geocaching aspects of the book that I disliked the most. It is written in a style that doesn't seem to adequately explain what geocaching is or what the terms mean. Some of the terminology and habits that come as part of the geocaching "lifestyle" aren't familiar to those who don't participate in the game.

The level of suspense and the plot were interesting, which was why I read through to the end.
Jeanie
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well-researched cozy mystery that introduces you to a band of geocaching mystery buffs who have their own mystery to solve. This is a fun read, with a flair of the eccentric, the baffling, and the tangents. Bindi & Margarita wade their way through fun, danger and bepuzzlement to a solution to several things at the end of this book.
Laura Phillips
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My rating is actually an 4-1/2 stars, but I like to think positive and so it gets a 5 star rating for me.

Being a somewhat geocacher for almost 5 years I enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to more books in this series.
Barb
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of the early reviewers program. It was an enjoyable read. The story and characters were interesting and so was the geocaching theme. I am looking forward to more books in this series.
John Sexton
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a bad murder mystery based around geocaching.
Ashley
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great Geocaching whodunit!
Michelle
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good book

You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so. Shelley MA
DelAnne Frazee
ISBN: 9781940215009
ASIN: B009V4LABY
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley

Geocaching - an outdoor recreational activity in which participants use GPS receivers and other navigational devices to seek caches hidden all over the world. Some call it a form of treasure hunting but it is very
Sean O'Reilly
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
I saw this recommended on KindofBook and picked it up either for free or at a bargain price. As a sometime Geocacher and a fan of the crime mystery genre I really wanted to like this book so I was quite disappointed that it didn't grip me early on.

Paradoxically I found that it was the emphasis on Geocaching which got in the way of my enjoyment. On reflection I realised that it was actually my background as a Geocacher that was the problem. Margarita, the central character in First to Find, is pa
Robert Owens
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not that I can find it now, but I responded to the author's promise of two free books in return for honest reviews of the books. I explained it would take me until summer to read them as I was quite busy at the time.

I began book one, First to Find. I struggled getting with it. While I ave been geocaching for almost 14 years now, the caching in the book wasn't hooking me. It dawned on me there were far too many characters to keep track of. That is something that affected me throughout the book. F
Caitlin
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Since Margarita Williams survived a deadly fever, she feels like death is stalking her, trying to claim the lives of people around her in return for sparing hers.

Bindi Ryan is her Australian roommate, abandoned by the man she intended to marry--after she moved to Oregon for him. In mourning for her dead love life, she wears black and has picked up geocaching, Margarita's hobby. They hide caches, provide clues, and sign log books--and compete for the coveted first to find position.

And then Marga
BookLover1013
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story. I was not familiar at all with the practice of geocaching before reading this book. After reading it, I think it could be a very fun and interesting hobby. That being said, someone who is already familiar with, interested in, or participates in geocaching may enjoy it even more than I did.
I loved all the puzzles in play in the story, and how Margarita used her skills and Bindi used her uncanny sense of smell to solve them. Not that her exceptional abilities with her nose di
Jwmoe1973
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an avid geocacher (and reader), I was intrigued by the invitation to read and review this book. It read much quicker and cleaner than I expected. Those not familiar with the intricacies of geocaching may not follow the plot as clearly as the rest of us. For those of us that do; hold onto your GPSr, it's gonna be a fun ride!

I started reading this at 10 pm on a Thursday and was very quickly impressed by the author's ability to weave caching into the story as cleanly as she did without overpower
Bronwyn
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this mystery even though I had never heard of caching before. First the story made me want to learn more about geocaching. The descriptions of the area were great. The characters were interesting and moving between two main characters was smooth and enjoyable. I could believe the people in the story were real and the things they did made sense. The mystery moved forward quickly and I didn't figure out who did it until the end. No spoilers here.
I will look for more from this writer
Sheri
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just want to start out by saying I LOVED this book. I've been interjected by Geocaching, my sister and her family are avid cachers, so it was so fun to read a book about it. Great character development, loved the storyline and the author had a way with words. The story just flowed wonderfully. It was a very satisfying read and I recommend it to cozy lovers, geocachers, and mystery buffs.

*I'd like to thank the author/publisher /net galley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an
Randy
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book because I have been a geocacher since 2006 and it was recommended by the producers of a podcast I listen to: podcacher. I purchased the book on kindle as part of an omnibus so I have two more to go and looking forward to it. I hope to never encounter a dead human body on the trail, but the possibility exists because of some of the unusual and fascinating places geocaching can bring a person. The book stretches a few characters a bit but the level of intensity by some is real. Ov ...more
Leesa
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, e-book
I received this book via LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

This was a fun murder mystery where the victims and the suspects were in a local group of geocachers.

Before reading this book, I didn't know what geocaching was. Through the story, we learn just what geocaching entails. It sounds like something fun to do.

There are a lot of interesting, fun characters, some side capers, and funny interactions. A nice, light, humorous story. The only thing I didn't like was the personification of death; that se
Donna
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book! Mystery has always been my favorite genre, and the author skillfully combined the mystery with geocaching, as well as with the characters personal lives and struggles. If you have never gone geocaching, (been doing it for 10 years with my husband), you might want to go on www.geocaching.com to see what it is all about, before you read the book. Looking forward to the second and third book in this series.
Mollyjr
This was an enjoyable book. The storyline included one of my favorite things to do and that is geocaching. I often gauge how much I like a book by how long it takes me to read it. The mystery held my interest good enough to make me want to finish, but not so good that I had to finish it quickly. I will probably read the next one as I suspect that I will enjoy this series more as I read more.
earthenborn
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, and was happy to find it on Bookbub at a discounted price. I geocache myself and that was definitely a fun part of the story. I did wish for more character development and detail in the plot. I wasn't totally convinced of the guilty party's motivation for the murder. There were more than the usual typos and word usage mistakes in this. But I would definitely read another in this series.

• Blood Echo
  • Artificial Absolutes (Jane Colt, #1)
  • Upload
  • Dastardly Bastard
  • To Katie With Love
  • Oracle of Philadelphia (Earthbound Angels, #1)
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
  • Braineater Jones
  • The Sun, the Moon, and Maybe the Trains (John & Tess Book 1)
  • Correlation
  • Lay Death at Her Door
  • Stone and Silt
  • Uninvited (South Hills Sidekicks, #1)
  • Ever Near (Secret Affinity, #1)
  • Dark Waltz (Praestani, #1)
  • Way Walkers: Tangled Paths (The Tazu Saga, #1)
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • My Soul Immortal (Fated Eternals, #1)
USA Today Bestselling Author Morgan C. Talbot is an outdoorsy girl with a deep and abiding love for the natural sciences. Her degrees involve English and jujitsu. She enjoys hiking, camping, and wandering in the woods looking for the trail to the car, but there isn’t enough chocolate on the planet to bribe her into rock climbing.

When she’s not writing, she can be found making puzzles, getting lost

Caching Out (3 books)
  • Death Will Attend (Caching Out, #2)
  • Nine Feet Under