Start by marking “Amontillado” as Want to Read:
Amontillado

Read Excerpt

Amontillado

"Call me Fortunato. You won't be the first."

So begins Amontillado, a unique tale of lust, infidelity, and murder. From rainy street corners to candlelit bookstores to hidden tunnels deep below a nameless city, you'll be transported to a surreal world in which motives are mysterious, intentions are unclear, emotions wreak havoc, and one person's desire for adventure will
Hardcover, First, 328 pages
Published November 15th 2012 by Streetlamp Press

To ask other readers questions about Amontillado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amontillado

Start your review of Amontillado
Chris McGrath
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
For a few years, I was a musician who attained some success, depending on your definition of the word. For those years, music was my entire life and everyone I knew was very aware of exactly what I was up to. After I left that life and pursued a more standard path, my musical history was often just a bit of trivia to my acquaintances, and on the occasions that my new friends would finally hear the music I'd created, or be told of my travels and scattered notoriety, they would express surprise ...more
Cathy Pearlman
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a friend of the author and a fan of Edgar Allen Poe I was expecting great things from this novel. I was not disappointed. The characters are flawed but as you learn of their struggles, they become more engaging. The prose is beautiful and you can tell the author chose his words very carefully so as to enhance each moment and character. The book is a suspenseful page turner with a fantastic conclusion.

The author opens with Jacob Lyons in a police interrogation room. He's exhausted and can't
Trish
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has it all from suspense to murder deceit love and lust. Its quite the attention getter and keeps you reading never knowing where it is going next. I'm not a big reader of dark tales and honestly quite often lose interest before I finish a book but this book was intriguing and made me want to read more. It was wonderfully written and I hope to see more from this author.
Donald Mosier
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy Edgar Allan Poe, you should really enjoy this novel. It is dark. The language is lush. And Poe's stories are embedded both as themes and as objects in the story. I will not describe the plot, because Koperski's development of that is part of the mystery of the story. But it includes love lost, love won, lust, friendship, despair, loneliness, and hate (not necessarily in that direction). Koperski is a first time novelist. In his author's notes, he indicates that this novel has been ...more
Erik
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
‘Amontillado’ is the perfect read for a rainy weekend, a bowl of chicken-noodle soup and perhaps a glass or two of this book’s namesake. It is set in a sort of twilight world that David Lynch (of ‘Blue Velvet’ and ‘Mulholland Drive’ fame) would appreciate – one that deftly intermingles the sordid, the symbolic and the everyday yearnings familiar to us all. In this way, Koperski pulls us in to the baroque clockwork of his intricate noir plotline.

Jacob Lyons life is falling apart all around him.
Amy Hill
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love a book that keeps you in suspense and this book does a great job at that! You think you have it all figured out and....Bang....something twists or turns. I loved the characters in the book; u want to know what happens to them even after the book is finished. Love, suspense, humor, revenge...this book has it all. A not so classic take on it all. There's a bit of yourself in every character that makes them relatable, if not lovable. Definately worth the read.... Great job Kevin Koperski but ...more
Bonnie Randall
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
The writing here is spectacular and the underpinnings of Poe give this piece tremendous atmosphere and foreboding. Every once in a while I like a book that has no clear hero and this one fits the bill. What would have taken it to a 4 for me would have been a deeper, darker motive for McComber's manipulation and cruelty rather than just doing so because he could.
Bobby
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A completely (but well done) depressing tale. No real protagonist (Daniel is the closest thing to that) and deceptions are so perfectly plotted I was frustrated throughout. You practically want to yell at a couple of the characters to "look behind the curtain" and "watch out"! Enjoyable? No! Engrossing? Absolutely.
Lindsay
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, fiction, kindle
I really enjoyed this book. There was a lot of foreshadowing, but never enough to completely predict what's going on. The characters were complex and human and the prose lovely.
Kevin Koperski
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I don't know about anyone else, but I happen to think it was okay. I might be biased, of course.
Gary Dollinger
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The story seems very believable and the plot twists are both plausible and interesting enough to make you want to keep reading. My only (very anal) complaint seemed to be my desire to pinpoint a location. I feel like I'm bouncing somewhere between the UK and the US (not that this really matters to the story). Overall, I would recommend this to anyone that likes a good page turner and doesn't want to wait weeks to get through 1500 page novels only to find out there is ...more
Lynn Johnson
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Slow start to the book, gets a little better during Part 2. I would not recommend to someone who is not a fan of Poe as this book is littered with Poe references. It is also full of foreshadowing, and within the first few chapters one can see the direction the book will take. The ending is not too big of a suspense or surprise, and rather just ends. At some points I got rather bored reading this, I feel the author tried too hard at times to relate his writings to Poe.
Arlene
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amontillada was a very good mystery with a classic feel. There were many twists and turns . . . and surprises. I highly recommend this book.
Kristylou
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, with a lot of mystery from the first page to the last. When I set it down at the end, I realized I missed the characters and being immersed in their world.
Karen
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.. Took me a bit to adjust to the setting, but the storyline and characters were captivating. Kept me guessing the entire time, enjoyed all of the twists and turns.
Jeannette McCalla
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Disappointed! That's the word for this book. It had all the makings of a wonderful, creepy story, but it didn't deliver. The characters, especially Bree, were not believable.
Cliff Koperski
Samantha
Nov 09, 2012
Toni Freeman
Jun 14, 2014
Kevin Koperski is the author of Amontillado , a mystery novel that revolves around three lives as they take sudden turns when a dark, debonair stranger sits down at a book club to discuss The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe. Find it on Facebook and at www.amontillado-novel.com. Order it in hardcover now from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Kevin spends half his time living and working in