Start by marking “Finerman's Rules: Secrets I'd Only Tell My Daughters About Business and Life” as Want to Read:
Finerman's Rules: Secrets I'd Only Tell My Daughters About Business and Life

Finerman's Rules: Secrets I'd Only Tell My Daughters About Business and Life

Karen Finerman likes to tell people she was raised Calvinist. Or as her mother used to say, "I buy my girls Calvin Klein clothes... Then when they graduate from college, they have to figure out how to pay for them themselves." In order to keep herself in Calvin, Karen went to work on Wall Street.

As a woman working in finance she noticed numerous ways that she and her femal
Published June 4th 2013 by Business Plus (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Finerman's Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finerman's Rules

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Dana
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was okay. Nothing special. Nothing mind-blowing. Almost nothing worthy. It kind of contradicts my life's philosophy about money and work, so that's why I wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would.
David
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Two notable observations about this book:

1. Karen Finerman is old school. The anti-feminist. Face time matters. Don't work from home. Don't talk about your maternity issues in the office. If you're a young woman, use your sexuality to get ahead. I'm sure Emily Bazelon and other modern feminists would have a field day reading this book.

2. In my opinion, the heart of this book lies where she talked about her personal failures and her inner demons, which does does a lot in what is ostenstibly a boo
Angie Carter
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are parts of this book I would definitely want my daughters to read; the author gives sound advice to those embarking on their careers. Some of the material I must admit I rather arrogantly thought, 'yep, heard it all before..' But as a working mother I experienced a powerful and rather unexpected 'a-ha' moment (I won't spoil it) Some will however find Fineman's views on working from home challenging. I actually found her perspective alarmingly refreshing and as a result have made some hig ...more
Claire
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
"Anyone else might feel intimidated sitting next to finance stalwarts like Pete Najarian, Melissa Lee, Joseph Terranova and Guy Adami, but Karen Finerman makes it look downright fun. Though her trading philosophy differs strikingly from her colleagues’ on 'Fast Money,' a high-intensity market roundup broadcast by CNBC from Times Square each weekday, Finerman is very much at home."

Read my profile with Karen Finerman at SmartPlanet: http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/busin...
Jim
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Primarily written for women I wanted to read this book because I enjoy Ms. Finerman's appearances on CNBC's Fast Money. Aside from some observations on being a working mother there was plenty of interesting anecdotes/advice on planning for success and dealing with failure in both business and life that apply to anyone.

Christina Boyle
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Karen Finerman has such wonderful advice for a young woman. And sound for someone mid-way through their life too. Her directness was refreshing. I especially enjoyed her comments around planning for finding a spouse and starting a family.
Linda
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Karen is hard working and has her own, some would say different, perspective on things. She is about empowerment, independence, and financial success. There are parts of this book I'd like my daughter to read.
Allyson
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: girlboss
Love this book! As a recent Wharton grad entering the world of finance, it felt highly applicable and carried many great pieces of wisdom. I do think she tried to make the book applicable for all, but could see it having a narrow focus on my exact narrow demographic. I would recommend to all recent female graduates. She has many great quotes/tidbits. This is not an investment advice book at all, more about career advice. However, she does at points talk briefly about several finance technical to ...more
Bev
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women, leadership
Last year, I read Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, and loved it… right up to the point where she started talking about women and mentoring relationships. That’s another review, of course, but I finished the book feeling confused and disheartened about finding a mentor in my own career.

Finerman’s Rules successfully fills this gap, in two ways. First, early in the book, Karen Finerman lays out an approach to developing mentoring relationships in the workplace. In addition, the whole book is your mentor
Wendy Yu
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chapter 2: Don't drink milk or milk products before you speak--they cause phlegm.

Chapter 4: I remember reading a Dear Abby many, many years ago in which a man wrote in saying he wanted more than anything to be a veterinarian, but between the seven years of school and internship, he would be 40 years old when he could finally be a vet. In response, she asked him how old he would be in seven years if he didn't do it.

Chapter 8: Working from home is the worst of everything. // In my view, you'd be t
Lesa Danielsen
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finerman gives advice on topics that relate to issues women face. She focuses on work/home-life balance (marriage, parenting, infertility), money management (personal and professional), career and personal success/failure, setting and reaching goals, and how to self-motivate and remain results driven. A great book to give as a gift, as various chapters apply to a person's life at different times. Similar to Lean In (Sheryl Sandberg - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...).
Sue
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Good Book. Although I can't relate to her business status or abundant wealth, I do agree with her basic principles and disciplines when it comes to women being in charge of their money. I enjoyed that she was able to make fun of her shortcomings but didn't feel the need to apologize or feel guilty for not being a superwomen. Finerman seems to have found a good work/family life balance which is something we should all strive for.
Lisa Yvonne
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-memoirs
A great memoir and advice book for women. Karen talks about how she became a success on wall street and offers helpful advice to women and girls in their careers. She has a great tell-it-like-it-is style that people will appreciate. I think the advice is good for anyone no matter what their career plans are, be it high finance or something more simple.
Anissa C.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked that Karen shared so much. The good, the bad and the really bad. Things will happen you have no control over. And, things will happen you should have foreseen but didn't. As Karen points out use the opportunities to take stock of what could have been done differently to prevent those things in the future.
Bridget
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer2013
Loved the empowering voice and insightful focus of the author's advice. Would love to see it in discussion among three generations 40's, late 20's and mid-teens.
Hentsla
Jul 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm not really a fan of self help books, hence my lower rating. If you completely ignore her absurd statement in the first two and last two chapters, the middle isn't terrible.
Brendan
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-other
Good career and life advice for professionals. About 20% applies specifically to women.
Michelle
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
I found this book a little boring and hard to get through. I did however take away a few useful tips/"secrets".
Joleen